Burgess Hill Rumble Cyclosportive on the 30th August 2009

Comments

• SRS Events
    SRS Events Posts: 264
    Hi Chrissz,

Good time chrissz ! well done. I hope you enjoyed the route.

The times are done I will put a link on the riders page tomorrow but for all you Bike radar followers go to the SPORTident link here, http://www.sportident.co.uk/results/2009/bh_rumble/

Special thanks to Andrew of SPORTident for a job well done in recording all the times.
    A really impressive professional job done yet again by SPORTident.

If it wasn't for the fact that I trust SPORTident to do an exact job I would be asking questions about a certain Daniel Tilley who finished the Classic Ride in 4h:48min:17 sec!
    Totally incredible achievement by Daniel, well done mate.
    There is more I have to say but I can't keep my eyes open :lol: so all the best and thanks to all that entered.

Hopefully after I have had a few hours sleep I can give a better report on the day.
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Superb day out Rupert, only Bronze for me in the Classic but I achieved my goals of getting up all the hills, including Cobb Lane, after blowing completely last March.
    Excellent organisation & compliments to the flapjack chef !
    :P
    My knees hurt !
  • SRS Events
    Hi Takis61

See now there is a goal achieved which you should pat yourself on the back for .

Anybody getting up Cobb lane without getting off is indeed doing well.

Those that got off and walked though were in good company. Cobb Lane hill is just that bit to steep for legs that have had enough :lol:

I will compliment the flapjack chef/s when they wake up from their slumber. All the people that helped out are absolutely brilliant people and make me feel very humble in with their outstanding abilities.

Oh and Takis when you say only bronze- you have already proven you are getting better at the hills imagine how well you are going to be going if you keep at it over the winter months :!:

keep an eye on ON THE RIVET for listings of training rides and other stuff which will help you reach the next goal -- A SILVER AWARD.
    http://ontherivet.ning.com
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    had a great day out, only did the challenge route but that was very tough. Had to walk up Cobb Lane plus the other hill too, and that was both the ones with photographers at the top !

Got round in 6:35 but riding time was only 5:20 so by my computer I made bronze :D

Are the photos just posted on the web site or do we have to pay to order them ?

Looking forward to doing the sprint event and now I now what I need to prepare for. I can easy do a 65 just over that terrain I need to do more hill work in training as it was that affected me.

Also need to have a better breakfast as had the knock ever since I started which didn't help either
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    sherer wrote:
    Are the photos just posted on the web site or do we have to pay to order them ?

Good question - I'd be inteested to know too :!:

Don't feel bad about having to walk the hills - I bonked and ended up walking the last two hills as well - the legs just didn't want to play.

A great way to lose my Sportive cherry though - I now have a much better understanding (I think) of how to tackle them. Might try some longer distances next year (did the Challenge this year).
  • I had to pause on Cobb Lane to consider the situation. Clipping back in was ... interesting. On Balcombe, somehow managed to keep the bike upright at 3.8mph. Should've looked more carefully at the profile rather than assuming it was all flat after that.
  • Chrissz
    :lol:

I've decided I need to get myself a 12-26 cassette instead of the 12-23 I've been using.
  • SRS Events wrote:
    Hi Chrissz,

If it wasn't for the fact that I trust SPORTident to do an exact job I would be asking questions about a certain Daniel Tilley who finished the Classic Ride in 4h:48min:17 sec!

A incredible time, but he missed out half the checkpoints...
  • SRS Events
    Photos will be available at the end of the week. (A slight delay its a long story)
    I will put a link out on the riders page of the website when the images are available.

http://www.srs-events.cc/burgess_hill2/riders.htm

The video of the event will hopefully be out at the end of the week.

Those that enjoyed the event and live local to Burgess Hill keep an eye on ON THE RIVET for free training rides we will be organising.
    http://ontherivet.ning.com

Remember guys its not how fast you did it its how much you enjoyed it!
    We hope you all enjoyed it.
  • paul_xedos
    paul_xedos Posts: 8
    edited September 2009
    SRS Events wrote:
    Hi Chrissz,

I was the chap who came second in the Classic ride and can vouch for the authenticity of Daniel Tilley's time as for 50 miles we rode around as a 4-up to become a 3-up from 60 to 90 miles. More importantly, the motorbike marshal can confirm the times as genuine as he led us around the full 95 mile course.

The reason for only the one timing mark is that we only stopped once, not having realised the stations were timing points as well.

Anyway my congratulations to Daniel as well.

Paul
  • Chrissz
    Cracking times for both of you :) (draughting the motorbikes?? :lol: )
  • Cracking times for both of you  (draughting the motorbikes??   )

Hi, thanks.
    Unfortunately, the motorbike sped off every time we got close, otherwise it would have been very pleasant to have gone round Keirin style

Paul
  • The thing is looking at my details Daniel Tilley is not a member of a club as far as I can see and he is only 19.
    Some Cycling Club near Coulsdon in Surrey is missing out on a natural talent for winning road races.

I am still in shock at the time he did and 2nd place wasn't bad either.

:shock:
    I am putting the times up on the website in moment sorry for the delay, I was exhausted after the event.
  • Thanks to SRS for a great event.
    My first sportive thing did the 65 miler in 4h 3m 48s. Was thinking I'd be around the 4h 30m mark but wasn't sure, would have been gold if not for 2 chain "issues" and being held up by a train deciding to cross the road by Plumpton Races!
    Other than the if's and but's I am pleased and thought it was superbly organised, after seeing a few negative comments about it last year I thought it was great.
    Everyone was really friendly and thanks to all the marshalls and organisers too, top job!
    And thanks to the 2 old geezers in camp chairs who supported at different points of the course, not exactly like Alpe D'Huez in the tour but support was appreciated.

Last point - a few of the times look a bit strange on the results i.e. some peoples time at the first feed station was the same as at the second, or also looks like peoples times started at the first station rather than at the start, not sure if people were missing the start check-in timing thing or the system went a bit weird for some people.

Anyway thanks again, same time next year??
  • Arpy
    Arpy Posts: 8
    Just want to add my thanks too, a great event, cracking flapjack, now if only you could do something about that headwind...

Would also like to add my thanks to all the words of encouragement offered as numerous riders streamed past me up the hills - not easy for a big unit such as myself. Limped around in a soul destroying 6hrs, 41 mins missing out on that elusive silver standard.

cheers
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Going to add my 2 pence worth as well firstly thanks to all involved with the organisation and planning, had an excellent time finished the classic in 6 hours 34 minutes and pleased with that, the sign on was slick and quick and feed/timing stations well stocked and the post ride meal was an improvement (in my opinon) on the spring classics one and the signing and marshalling on the route were better than previously.
    Now for what i hope you will take as constructive critisisum, and this in no way detracted from the enjoyment of the event, toilets at the start/finish- more please! and could we have a ready supply of drinking water at the finish without having to harass the kitchen staff who were quite busy any way. Cheers, looking forward to the next spring event.
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    Hi,

I did the Challenge event and just wanted to pass on my thanks for a really good day. The route was really challenging (perhaps not a surprise given the name), superbly signposted, and a really well organised event from start to finish.

The only improvement would be the quality of some of the road surfaces which is of course beyond your control. I don't know what your local councils spend their money on but it certainly isn't road maintenance.

Definitely be back for the Classic route next year.

Thanks again

Scott
  • I did the Classic ride and achieved a time of 5hr 24min (i surprised myself with this time) as i`m no spring chicken aged 45.I was amazed at the overall pace particular the first hour, i`d done 20.8miles and normally riding solo i`m doing 18mph ave.
    I`ve got to say that Yorks Hill is a real killer.
    sward - I`m with you on the poor road surfaces particularly the B2110 between Hartfield and Forest Row and Ansty to Burgess Hill, both have deep ridges across the road that are unavoidable and make for a bone jarring ride.
    A big thanks to the organisers for a well run event and look forward to the Springtime event.
    Oh and +1 for the tasty flapjacks.
    Andrew
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    any news on the pics getting uploaded to the web site ?
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Hello

I was the unfortunate who had a rear derailler collapse less than 5 miles into the 'tour' route. - just outside ditchling. Thanks to all those people who selflessly offered to stop and help me get back on the road - unfortunately my wife had to come and collect me as I couldn't find a missing derailler bit on the road after fruitlessly searching for half an hour or so! I gave my sport-ident wristband to a a friendly SRS helper who stopped on his way around the course... anyway suffice to say my time really wasn't 07:02:38 as it appears on the SRS website! If any of my future descendents find the SRS page on an internet archive I just want this posting to record the fact that I DID NOT FINISH! I'm slow, but I'm not slow!

I'll be back in the Spring...

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Hi,
    great sportive, I have been waiting patiently for the photos, any news?
  • Chrissz
    Some nice pics in there mate (found me :)) Any indication on cost of prints please?
  • Sorry about the delay in uploading the photos. My bro and I were doing a charity ride across europe so I had someone else shoot the event for me.

Hope you enjoy the images

George

www.georgeburgessphotography.com
  • Chrissz
    Cool :!: You got a whole town named after you :lol:
  • AND NOW THE VIDEO IS RELEASED

Have a look at it on ON THE RIVET http://ontherivet.ning.com

Or on the SRS Events website here http://www.srs-events.cc/burgess_hill2/riders.htm
  • Hi,

does the video link work? I can't see anything. Regards Davy
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    The one on the rivet works for me - but not on the Rumble website.
  • SORRY FOR THE TECHNICAL PROBLEMS it seems to be working for some and not others AppleMac users might want to use their Safari rather than firefox connection.

Anyway WE ARE DEALING WITH THIS AND WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THE VIDEO IS BACK ON-LINE.

IN THE MEANTIME YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO TO THE FILM PRODUCERS PAGE HERE
    http://www.shootingpeople.org/watch/fil ... m_id=78620

Don't forget to join ON THE RIVET,
    DETAILS OF THE SRS EVENTS TRAINING RIDE on the 29th NOVEMBER will be released soon.
  • Hopefully that video is working for you all now

click the link below to go to the riders page where the video is:-

http://www.srs-events.cc/burgess_hill2/riders.htm

SRS EVENTS TRAINING RIDE 29TH NOVEMEBER details to follow.