RPCC Ride - May Bank Hol Weekend

124»

Comments

• RedGreenBaron
    RedGreenBaron Posts: 232
    The thank yous might get repetitive, but a few have to be mentioned:

Rich for the fantastic route. I kept asking Mykee how the heck he'd found these roads, then he told me the secret...... I imagine you could go there and back a bit quicker with more of the main roads (which we also enjoyed in a TT kindaway) but then we'd have had more close things with cars, and fewer bluebell woods, stunning views, lilac-filled villages, blind gravel corners, terrible road quality (oops going a bit off message).

Mykee for keeping a continual eye on that box of tricks that miraculously knows where you are, and shouting at us in good time.
    Everyone for being patient with the drivers and riding very sensibly.
    Wilf for being very easy to spot.
    Will for not having any punctures in his front tube, and for remembering the word 'ecumenical'.
    Dominic for the rattley cassette so you always knew when he was coming past.
    Al for riding past me on every hill (except the one I did on my own).
    Ed for thinking he'd done 244km when we reached the park.

My stats are pretty much the same as Will's (Bongo), so the furthest I've ever ridden and the longest in the saddle, and by no means pancake-like.

I would like to know how many beers Al gets down him before he nods off.

Nick
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Glad you enjoyed it Nick - I love that route, especially heading north from Shoreham, pretty much until you get to the Dorking area 8)

I'm actually really jealous now, but will be doing the same route over the next couple of days anyway so at least I'll still get some decent riding in before the Fred :D

Just wish my bloody wheels were ready - I'm sure my mojo is hiding in them at the moment... :? :lol:
  • Brocade
    Brocade Posts: 433
    Folks,
    Thanks for pulling me along up the hills before I split. I managed to do Zig Zap afterwards and completed a 116km ride back. I clearly need to get many, many, many more miles in before I can keep up with this crowd ! I'll do a short 50km round RP tomorrow to round out the weekend.
    Regards,
    Tolga
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    Sounds like everybody this week had a great ride! I'm so jealous :x :D

I would say see you soon but my bike is actually pretty broken right now as I got hit by a car on thursday. I don't have any money to fix it so until the insurance money comes through I'm gonna be out for a while. :(

Gonna be a right antisocial git and sit in my room and study instead.
  • VinceEager
    VinceEager Posts: 247
    awesome ride, thanks alot guys. the route, navigation and company were all top notch.
    riding on that super smooth tarmac along the sea front in worthing with the blazing sunshine, bizarely tropical looking sea and generous tail wind felt so so good.

might be a touch of the sun but for hours after i got back, all i could see when i closed my eyes was lampre kit :wink:

enjoy the 30% climbing next weekend!

:edit: does whoever got pics at the cafe stop want to post them up?
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    VinceEager wrote:
    Here's a couple I took at the café:

3496747848_8bdb8f0c38.jpg

3495931475_0761519474.jpg
    chrisw28 wrote:
    I would say see you soon but my bike is actually pretty broken right now as I got hit by a car on thursday
    Sorry to hear that and hope it's just the bike that's damaged - presumably you can still borrow your bro's
    Brocade wrote:
    Thanks for pulling me along up the hills before I split. I managed to do Zig Zap afterwards and completed a 116km ride back. I clearly need to get many, many, many more miles in before I can keep up with this crowd
    No problem. Yesterday was the fastest one I've been on - come along again on one of the gentler ones and I'm sure you'll be fine
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    chrisw28 wrote:
    Sounds like everybody this week had a great ride! I'm so jealous :x :D

I would say see you soon but my bike is actually pretty broken right now as I got hit by a car on thursday. I don't have any money to fix it so until the insurance money comes through I'm gonna be out for a while. :(

Gonna be a right antisocial git and sit in my room and study instead.

Mate, hope you are alright :?: :? As you say the bike can always be fixed.

No time to post yesterday, as once out of the shower it was straight to the pub for some pizza and pints. Needless to say I didn't last long, so once my mates bemusement was over it turned into amusement at my suffering!

Was a great ride yesterday, always good to be able to push hard with 200kms in the legs. Of note, Ed (forgot your nick)- for your inspired run through the roundabouts towards the end when we were all pushing hard, you made us get into the drops and out of the saddle to up the pace that little more. Art V - for chasing that bus up that hill somewhere near Epson, don't think anyone could get onto your wheel, machine :shock:

Similar stats to everyone else - stoked we managed such a good pace over such a distance. Greating riding.

Rich - that route was brilliant. Once we got into west sussex the roads were superb.

Good luck all those headed for Fred next weekend.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    VinceEager wrote:

3496747848_8bdb8f0c38.jpg

I'm loving the contrast between Lampre and Dulwich, think that's my new favourite photo :lol:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478

3495931475_0761519474.jpg

who's the wheeler having double of portion of cake ??? :):wink::lol:

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    I think it's worse than that - he was sharing it with a London Dynamo :shock:
  • urrrrrrrrrs

W T F !!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink::wink: :evil: :evil: :evil:

• The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Great ride yesterday guys, clearly the longest and the fastest I've ever ridden.

After setting off on a cracking pace early on (I almost got left at the gate at RP) we slowed down just a tad as we hit the north downs but once we all peeled off I don't think I was imagining it when we put the pedal down again.

Personal thanks to Mykee who hung back and provided me with some additional fluids in my moment of need, and for everyone else who missed the turn off and gave me time for a breather. :wink: The water stop at the country pub was my saviour as my bottles were bone dry, the look of the yokels as I strolled in with my lampre kit on was priceless. :lol:

Hats off to Nick for doing his 2009 PB for Box Hill aswell after 170Ks in the legs, top draw, considering I was happy to make it in sub 10 minutes, but the way in which we all managed to power on through Epsom after such a long ride was brilliant.

PS - Thanks for organising the 10% discount at the cake shop for us all Rich :lol:

The long grazed legged one
  • Rich-Ti
    Great pics guys, glad you all enjoyed the route!

London to Worthing in 3hrs 8mins for me today - passed the 'Welcome to Worthing' sign at bang on 3hrs.

96k @ 30.4kph / 60miles @ 19mph - well pleased with that! Tomorrow will be much more sedate, believe me!
  • DomLuck
    DomLuck Posts: 9

W T F !!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink::wink: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I am the KW. The LD pushed the cake on to my plate before I had chance to say no. :)

Annoying rattle is now fixed - forgot to tighten up the rear cassette after cleaning. :oops:

Yes great ride though feeling pretty drained today. Thanks everyone for making it a great day out to the seaside.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    DomLuck wrote:
    ]

I am the KW. The LD pushed the cake on to my plate before I had chance to say no. :)

yeah ,right ok,of course Dom !!!!!! :wink::wink:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RedGreenBaron
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    London to Worthing in 3hrs 8mins for me today
    96k @ 30.4kph / 60miles @ 19mph
    >2kmh faster than we managed and there were 7 of us. Good work Rich.
    Look forward to seeing you and Phips and who else on sunday?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    London to Worthing in 3hrs 8mins for me today
    96k @ 30.4kph / 60miles @ 19mph
    >2kmh faster than we managed and there were 7 of us. Good work Rich.
    Thanks, but I wasn't pacing myself for a return journey like you guys probably were!

Bailed on today though - I travelled light heading south and with today being a bit colder I wasn't wearing enough. Combine that with tired legs and my motivation went through the floor after only 30k or so, so I ended up on the train :oops: :?

Right decision though - don't want to tire myself out or make myself ill before the Fred on Sunday.
  • RedGreenBaron
    Sounds sensible, Rich. I'm also dreading a chesty cold, and was paranoid on the descents today (Surrey Hills Ride with some Dynamos) and, when the sun went in, preferred to boil in the bag in my waterproof back from Box. Feeling my age - my legs still hadn't recovered from Saturday. I'm sure my hardest weekend cycling for months is not the best prep for the Fred, but nobody could say I've been overtraining.

Phips - I definitely plan on clubkit, and will look out for you guys at start, finish and en route. If it's dry I'm aiming for an 8am start and a 3 to 3:30pm finish, but the latter obviously depends on incidents and getting in groups for the flat bits. You chaps can practice your spanish (for the bonebreaker) on my wife's folks!
  • Rich-Ti
    I hope to be in my nice new Wheelers kit for Sunday but it might not be available in time so I'll just watch for any Dynamos and see who I spot!

My ride partner for the Fred looks to have finally bailed (confirming tomorrow) so I reckon I'll be riding at least some of it with Phips now (and I'll confirm via email Mark), at least until one or other of us can no longer hold on! :? :lol:

I'll get a new thread underway for the weekend tomorrow though as I'm sure there'll be folk on here still itching to get out! :wink: 8)
  • The emu
    Sounds sensible, Rich. I'm also dreading a chesty cold, and was paranoid on the descents today (Surrey Hills Ride with some Dynamos) and, when the sun went in, preferred to boil in the bag in my waterproof back from Box. Feeling my age - my legs still hadn't recovered from Saturday. I'm sure my hardest weekend cycling for months is not the best prep for the Fred, but nobody could say I've been overtraining.

Think your being a tad modest Nick, as I caught a glimpse of a certain someone who rides a blue and yellow Le Mond fanging it home along Londsdale road Monday avo as if they'd only done a couple of laps of the park. :wink:

• RedGreenBaron
    The emu wrote:
    Think your being a tad modest Nick, as I caught a glimpse of a certain someone who rides a blue and yellow Le Mond fanging it home along Londsdale road Monday avo as if they'd only done a couple of laps of the park. :wink:

Blue and yellow Lemonds are 2 a penny surely?
    Even if it was me (which I deny since I'd left my fangs on Ranmore) I was probably late for lunch.
    Had you been out for a spin, Wlif?
  • The emu
    No was walking on by with the better half, I didn't actually notice it wasa you until you were half past me you were going that quick.