so whats so bad about Lance

mikeh202
mikeh202 Posts: 45
edited April 2009 in Pro race
Red rag time. Not been into biking long enough to know the ins and outs of his 1st carreer but from what oi have seen he seems to be pretty damn great! So how come so many people hate him!

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    *runs for cover*

He's an unsavoury man, who won a lot. Makes him the ultimate villan!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • he flat out beat the system, whether he was clean or not, he was kicking everyone's rear end who was on whatever. That is why so many hate him. He is a representation of what the United States is and many cannot handle that, the French in particular.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Then there's Simeoni...
  • teagar
    he flat out beat the system, whether he was clean or not, he was kicking everyone's rear end who was on whatever. That is why so many hate him. He is a representation of what the United States is and many cannot handle that, the French in particular.

This whole "he's American" thing I think is overblown. I didn't hear anbody complain about that when Lemond won three?

Armstrong did it his own way, and that way wasn't attractive. Nothing very American about that. It's just how the best get what they want.

He's just not a particularly attractive man. His victories may be attractive but I don't think his character and attitude particularly are.
  • Armstrong is very American arrogant, expects a lot, will speak his mind, will drive himself to the breaking point. You may has his character and attitude are not particularly attractive but this is what has driven him to be such a great champion. This is a guy who was given a coin flip at life and he came back to win the tour 7 times through will and determination (and many say artificial means but he hasn't ever failed a drug test). Look at many of the great champions in the history of sport. They all have that drive to be the best. Lemond is a totally different animal. He beat the cheaters who got caught. He stayed within the rules. And he flat out won the greatest race in cycling seven times. What else can be said?
  • Anonymous
    Erm, the fact that an awful lot of his domestiques used to break the peloton whilst shielding Lance have tested positive?...
  • Erm, the fact that an awful lot of his domestiques used to break the peloton whilst shielding Lance have tested positive?...

How many of them were on US Postal/Discovery when they were caught? Armstrong's team was never caught. What riders did when they moved on was the choice of the rider and or the team that rider rode for.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    And he flat out won the greatest race in cycling seven times

Armstrong hasn't even ridden Paris-Roubaix has he?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited April 2009
    Not knowing anything re. Lance (but having heard the rumours) - is it possible that he did any of his TDF wins "clean"? - if so, which ones? - any candidates? or is it the case that if he doped the "year before" he'd still be gaining an unfair advantage when he won a "clean" one? - or, is the concensus that he doped for all 7 wins???
  • I was just going by what the Transport for London said in 2007

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/n ... /3683.aspx
  • Not knowing anything re. Lance (but having heard the rumours) - is it possible that he did any of his TDF wins "clean"? - if so, which ones? - any candidates? or is it the case that if he doped the "year before" he'd still be gaining an unfair advantage when he won a "clean" one? - or, is the concensus that he doped for all 7 wins?

I am still waiting for him to fail a legitimate test that will get him suspended.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Aurelio to aisle seven, I repeat, Aurelio to aisle seven. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion of him, I have mine...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mikeh202 wrote:
    Red rag time. Not been into biking long enough to know the ins and outs of his 1st carreer but from what oi have seen he seems to be pretty damn great! So how come so many people hate him!

Don't you hate somebody? Someone that just rubs you the wrong way and you don't want to be near them? Someone who you feel has done something wrong? Or
    illegal? Don't you hate some movie star just because, well, just because? And how about that guy on the "other" team that scored the winning goal and knocked "your" team out of the playoffs? Or a boss that you can't stand? Or someone who's voice just irritates the hell out of you? I hate Kevin Costner. Don't know why, just do. Oh, maybe I do know why, but never bothered to look into myself deep enough to find out. It doesn't take much
    for people to say "hate that guy". Any little thing can do it. Sad part is that you start hating someone you don't even know, for whatever reason, and if you never get to know him
    you will probably always hate him. But If you were to sit down with him and have a few brews you might come away with a different point of view. Guess I'll have to call Kevin
    and invite him over to suck down a few beers :wink::wink: .

Dennis Noward
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    And he flat out won the greatest race in cycling seven times

Armstrong hasn't even ridden Paris-Roubaix has he?

Lance thinks watching golf is more exciting than Paris-Roubaix, that's why.

http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/status/1506155914

I ask you... :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Dennis, don't do it!

The man made Waterworld for goodness sake!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    andyp wrote:
    Aurelio to aisle seven, I repeat, Aurelio to aisle seven. :wink:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Dennis, don't do it!

The man made Waterworld for goodness sake!

Ya, he was in over his head on that one. And that joke was just about as bad as the movie.

Dennis Noward
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    afx237vi wrote:
    Can't argue with that ...
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Lance thinks watching golf is more exciting than Paris-Roubaix, that's why.

Sprint for show, climb for dough
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I think I've somehow wandered on to the wrong forum...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

Tell that to Mark Cavendish then, I bet he'll be one of the Top earners (if not "the" top earner) soon.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Clear the streets now, stay indoors keep your windows and doors closed, another pro LA thread has broken out. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just waiting for the anti LA squad to arrive.
    :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • teagar
    dilemna wrote:
    Clear the streets now, stay indoors keep your windows and doors closed, another pro LA thread has broken out. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just waiting for the anti LA squad to arrive.
    :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hey! I arrived long ago. Pfft. :cry::wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Here's a list that was in Cycle Sort in 2007 of the top ten earners - more sprinters than climbers in that lot.

1. Alejandro Valverde, 26, Spain, Caisse d'Epargne, $3.8 (2.6 euros)
    2. Paolo Bettini, 32, Italy, Quick Step, $3.3 (2.5 euros)
    3. Tom Boonen, 26, Belgium, Quick Step, $2.6 (2.0 euros)
    4. Alessandro Petacchi, 33, Italy, Milram, $2.2 (1.7 euros)
    5. Ivan Basso, 29, Italy, Discovery Channel, $2.0 (1.5 euros)
    6. Damiano Cunego, 25, Italy, Lampre-Fondital, $1.8 (1.4 euros)
    7. Alexandre Vinokourov, 33, Kazakhstan, Astana, $1.7 (1.3 euros)
    8. Robbie McEwen, 34, Australia, Predictor-Lotto, $1.6 (1.2 euros)
    9. Erik Zabel, 36, Germany, Milram, $1.6 (1.2 euros)
    10. Thor Hushovd, 29, Norway, Credit Agricole, $1.3 (1.0 euros)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I guess I was wrong. Sprint races are kind of annoying because you watch for four hours and then it is all decided in 1 min. LA did make $19.2 million in 2004, and $28 million in 2005 and he was quite a climber.

Here are some of the top salaries in cycling, according to the WSJ:
    Alejandro Valverde - $4 million
    Cadel Evans - $2.3 million
    Carlos Sastre - $1.5 million
    Frank Schleck - $1 million
    Sylvain Chavanel - $1 million
    Christian Vande Velde - $500,000

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121693264451182277.html
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • dennisn wrote:
    mikeh202 wrote:

Don't you hate somebody? Someone that just rubs you the wrong way and you don't want to be near them? Someone who you feel has done something wrong? Or
    illegal? Don't you hate some movie star just because, well, just because? And how about that guy on the "other" team that scored the winning goal and knocked "your" team out of the playoffs? Or a boss that you can't stand? Or someone who's voice just irritates the hell out of you? I hate Kevin Costner. Don't know why, just do. Oh, maybe I do know why, but never bothered to look into myself deep enough to find out. It doesn't take much
    for people to say "hate that guy". Any little thing can do it. Sad part is that you start hating someone you don't even know, for whatever reason, and if you never get to know him
    you will probably always hate him. But If you were to sit down with him and have a few brews you might come away with a different point of view. Guess I'll have to call Kevin
    and invite him over to suck down a few beers :wink::wink: .

Dennis Noward

Dennis,

I've not been around these forums very long but i find it hilarious how you seem to consistently miss the point of the original poster! You seem to just offer tenuous and malformed analogies which don't really mean anything- all in the wistful guise of some profound and enlightened wisdom...

I don't mean to have a go but i do think there are real and tangible reasons people dislike Lance- some people think he's cheated his way to success, some people are furious that they feel he's "slipped through the net" and "got away with it" for so long (I'm refering to any alleged doping/medical preparations here), some people don't like his character, maybe his brutal domination frustrates people, he's a yank (this upsets the french), and so on...

So in summary i think there are lots of tangible reasons why people don't like LA and i feel your 'people just hate people sometimes' post is pretty irrelevant and unhelpful.

I don't think Paul Kimmage for example feels how he does about Armstrong just because, "he rubs him the wrong way".

To the original poster- you might want to have a wade though the other Lance doping threads.
  • I guess I was wrong. Sprint races are kind of annoying because you watch for four hours and then it is all decided in 1 min. LA did make $19.2 million in 2004, and $28 million in 2005 and he was quite a climber.

Here are some of the top salaries in cycling, according to the WSJ:
    Alejandro Valverde - $4 million
    Cadel Evans - $2.3 million
    Carlos Sastre - $1.5 million
    Frank Schleck - $1 million
    Sylvain Chavanel - $1 million
    Christian Vande Velde - $500,000

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121693264451182277.html

Evans is so not worth 2.3 million a year!! :lol: