NapoleonD - road to recovery

Comments

• spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    Nothing short of awesome. I can't wait for our first spin out!!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cheers mate, nor can I!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Alex, I can't believe how much progress you have made in such a short time - really amazing. Well done!

I wouldn't mind joining you for that spin too.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers! Heh heh, the NapoleonD inaugral group ride :o
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    You should do that desent to lamaload first, I would. Get the monkey off the back and all that.

Well done on the recovery too btw! Impressive stuff!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    I went out today and did 50 mins including averaging 260 watts for 2 mins :shock:

Plus, I wore the jersey I was wearing when I came off to get over that bogey...

It's coming on!
  • Anonymous
    Whoops, I went in to Royles today and accidentally bought some Assos F1 Mille S5 bibshorts and a Rapha jersey.

Going out for a quick evening spin in them after a quick cuppa :D
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    royles is dangerous. I bought assos shorts and gore jersey the other day (was only taking something back)

Have fun on your evening spin!
  • Anonymous
    I popped in for a quick chat and to blag a brew (i got a bonus chocolate muffin too!). They aren't just dangerous, they're pure evil in there!
  • Anonymous
    One for the album :)

Holding on for dear life to the bike - hence the tense appearance!

Meandbike.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Managed a club 10 mile TT tonight!!

Very pleased - 34.59, rather an unexpected time too!
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    HE'S BACK!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Serious crash on March 13th resulting in smashed up leg, back doing a TT on May 6th - I'm impressed!
  • Anonymous
    Well, I made the sports pages of the Macc Express due to the TT and my ugly mug was there too. Been on the bike a few times recently, managing to put out over 300 watts for a minute now which is satisfying (although it'll be a while before I'm able to do that for an hour again!)...

The position I got selected for at the airport has reared it's head again, I can start there as long as I am fully fit by 1st July. I thought this was going to be a tall order however at physio today she had me jogging on the tramampoline followed by jumping up on the spot from my toes. I was well chuffed as I didn't think I was up to either of these things yet. She reckons I may be jogging for real by 1st July which means I'll class as fully fit. I will be very happy.

It was pat 2 of my Inspector's exams this week two, rather stressful and I have absolutely no idea how I've done as it's role play based. I could have done ok or horrendous. Dunno. Find out the end of June...

I've stripped the winter bike and sold the frame in readiness for the new one which should be with me in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed but I don't hold out too much hope as it's a brand new frame from Litespeed, there's still no details on the website about it. Furthermore I'm getting the first XL to arrive in the country... No rush though as I now have the flat MTB pedals on the Look.
  • Anonymous
    Just gone out for my local back lane 11 miler, 10 miles was 33.54 including stops and junctions. That's over a minute less than the TT a couple weeks ago. Things going well..
  • Anonymous
    Well, decided to go on a club run today, hadn't cycled more than 14 miles recently but managed 51 today. Was very pleased, the limiting factor turned out to be my lack of fitness as opposed to the leg as it was a flattish ride. I was able to cruise at 24mph for a couple of stretches though which was very liberating.
  • Anonymous
    150 miles this week, culminated in a brilliant ride tonight with Dan (Spanielsson) and another friend. Felt like a 'No Chain Day!' Great fun with some climbing thrown in. 35 miles at just under 16mph average with some fun off roading thrown in for good measure.

It's coming on!

I am aiming to do the route I crashed on sometime in late August, it's about 60 odd miles miles and is pretty much all the climbs from the Cheshire Cat. Any takers?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    If i'm free, you're on :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    kewl, if it's easier for people I can move it to september or whenever!
  • Anonymous
    Here is the route and details of the ride I managed last night...

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/MP4AMRJZAJPYHBKWVVIWZQ3TOE
  • Anonymous
    First day in the hills today...

CatandFiddle.jpg

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/OWCWZQXJ72KEVHZ5FG26KJLN2U

Over 4000ft of climbing, 46 miles.

I managed about 30 seconds up out of the saddle too!

Started to gain a bit of confidence on the descents but still a long way from the carefree jjoys I used to experience!
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    did you take a picnic?
    and who's the Terminator on the m'bike?

well done NapD.

PS-when do u get your Inspector results?
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh, Cheers! That sign is rather harshly worded. That guy on the crotch rocket just stood there trying to look mean the whole time. I waved at him and said HIYA! really loud in my inimitable camp happy way. He didn't know where to look!

Inspector's results end of this month. Not too mithered now as I start my new job at the airport 1st July :D
  • Anonymous
    Good week this week!

Chain gang on Monday which was hard work. Ride down from Macc to the back lanes, three laps on the lanes then the climb back to Macc.

The lanes were quick! Did a few turns on the first lap but second and third I was hanging on for grim death, average speed was 21ish mph for 25 miles but as soon as the climb to Macc started I was dropped. Still, 29 miles with a 4 mile climb in 1hr 28. Pleased with that.

Recovery ride Tuesday on the trainer then last night, Wednesday was a club 10 mile TT.
    My last TT, about 4 weeks ago I did 34.59.

Last night I somehow pulled a 27.30(ish, not had the official results yet) out of ) out of the bag.

Now, that may not sound spectacular but I could not believe it, for two reasons -

1 - I've lost a lot of fitness and strength due to the breaks

2 - My best ever time (this was last year, until I got DVT (which is another story)) was 28.14

I'm absolutely chuffed to bits but it makes me wonder where I'd be if I hadn't broken the leg...

Come on! :o
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    I'm absolutely chuffed to bits but it makes me wonder where I'd be if I hadn't broken the leg...

Never mind that. I'm wondering whether breaking a leg wouldn't improve my TT times....
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    After reading of Nap D's TT heroics...
    I know it doesn't compare with Nap D's story, but I've been trying (not hard enough though) to lose 6lbs get down to my fighting weight of 12 stone. One stomach bug and 4 days on clear fluids later - job done! Just need to get back on the bike now...
  • Anonymous
    It's crap when you feel, erm, crap.

Hope you manage to keep it off Mr Bompington!
  • Anonymous
    Something very odd is going on, did a quick lumpy 30 miler today and found that I was able to cruise at a higher speed quite comfortably, in the drops.

I have been doing quite a bit of core work whilst off the bike and may be this is having a good effect. I'm able to stay in the drops all the time if I wanted whereas I couldn't do that before the crash. I was also able to stay in the TT bars for the duration of the TT the other day whereas when I bought the bike in Feb, I couldn't stay in the position for more than 5 mins without losing power.

Core work....

It's the future!

As an aside, I tried my Conti Force / Attack tyres for the first time today. Wow. Significant improvement over the 4000s I have sworn by previously. They feel like they roll better but the handling, especially on descents is remarkable! I'm told they are great in the wet too.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Great progress there.
  • Anonymous
    Chain gang last night.

Last week I did a few turns then sat in and got dropped on the climb back up Pexhill. Last night I decided to keep doing turns until I blew. I knew it was going to be hard, not least because there were less of us last night.
    Ohhh did I blow! Didn't make it to the last climb with the group, but overall worked much harder so pleased with progress...

Funny weather last night as it had been sunny and dry all day in Holmes Chapel yet there had been maffise storms but 12 miles away in Macclesfield so it started off rather greasy.

Pokerface came along too which was nice!