NapoleonD - road to recovery

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Today I managed to somehow climb on my bike and do 2 minutes on the trainer very slowly with no resistance!

Awesome.

As a result I have fitted some MTB Flats to it and I will try to do some more each day.

Dunno if anyone cares but I a going to plot my progress on here so I have an easy point of reference and so people can chip in with ideas.

My overall aim is to partake in my Club Hill climb up the Cat and Fiddle in August. Not to beat last year's time but just to be able to do it.

Comments

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    You'll make it! You seem to have the disposition to drive yourself hard and worry your physio. :D

Just listen to your body, you'll know when you should back off.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    What do you mean, "road to recovery", NapD? Did you have an off?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Anonymous
    Yep, documented in the Cheshire Cat preparation thread.

Crashed on the Lamaload descent, broke my leg thrice over.

On Friday the 13th no less.
  • Crapaud
    Bummer! Sounds nasty. I'm surprised that you're trying to get back on the bike so soon, even if very tentatively. I assume that you've had proper medical advice. I think I'd have been inclined to take a bit more time for healing / recovery.

Anyway, take it easy and GWS.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I care Napoleon.

Come on my man, pedal and type, even at the same time, now there is a recovery challenge.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    NapoleonD wrote:
    My overall aim is to partake in my Club Hill climb up the Cat and Fiddle in August. Not to beat last year's time but just to be able to do it.

Is that Open to everyone? I'm tempted to enter, as I'd know I wouldn't come last :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Hi dude! I care too.
    Why don't you start your own blog? I'm sure there are other injured cyclists out there who would identify with you and would be keen to read about how you're getting on with your recovery.
    looking forward to that cake & cuppa in a few weeks - not too big on the cake though (and I don't like cuppa)

:)
  • Anonymous
    How do I do a blog thingy?
  • Crapaud
    popette wrote:
    ... Why don't you start your own blog? ...
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo......!

How will I know if NapD ends up cycling round in circles because of the extra weight of the nails and metal plate in one leg if I've got to go searching for it? I demand that it's posted here for instant notification, along with a video with circus music. :wink:
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Today I managed to somehow climb on my bike and do 2 minutes on the trainer very slowly with no resistance!

Awesome.

As a result I have fitted some MTB Flats to it and I will try to do some more each day.

Dunno if anyone cares but I a going to plot my progress on here so I have an easy point of reference and so people can chip in with ideas.

Well done, I know it wouldn't be long before you would be on the turbo, but this is a lot sooner than I suspected!!!

It's a shame there is no resistance, you could see how many watts output you have now with your Steve Austin bionic leg!
    Is that Open to everyone? I'm tempted to enter, as I'd know I wouldn't come last :wink:

I like the sound of this too, I'd best get some practice in.

It looks like 21:43 is the time to beat to the top......
  • Anonymous
    I will try with resistance soon enough - see if I can get 50 Watts out!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    NapoleonD wrote:
    How do I do a blog thingy?
    Set yourself up with a free account at WordPress.com. There's loads of information on the site to guide you.

Sorry to hear about your accident - I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.
  • Anonymous
    I've set up a Wordsmth account, we'll have a look at it...
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    i use blogger

www.giantonabike.blogspot.com :oops:

I can't believe you're on a bike already :) that is brilliant
  • Anonymous
    Here it is in all it's up-in-a-hurry glory!

http://napoleond.wordpress.com/

Please give me some comments on improvements etc. Lord know I need the help!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oh good man. And be sure to twitter about it too - just like Lance has - he'e been out on the road on his bike - but then his was just a wussy collarbone.

Keep up the good work.
  • Anonymous
    No way! Someone on Twitter has my username :(
  • Anonymous
    Right here is the Twitter stuff - this is all very new and odd to me!

http://twitter.com/NapD
  • It looks like 21:43 is the time to beat to the top......

Having a look on Google and the National Hill Climb championship used it in 2002 (was held in November) and the winning time was 19:43...... ave speed then approx 20mph :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Update on twitter -

Managed some resistance on the turbo today - 5 mins, 45 watts average. Bring it on!

I spoke to the bike shop today, rear wheel needs trueing and rear mech hanger needs replacing. Saddle has cosmetic damage. Need new shifter though. Ouch.
    I've asked if I can buy just one and they are getting back to me.
  • Anonymous
    Today I did 10 minutes at 55 watts average!

Woo hoo!
  • Anonymous
    Blog updated today...

http://napoleond.wordpress.com/
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    av 20 mph on the cat +fiddle . i,d struggle to do that going down . :shock: . off up there tomorrow , will be av about 10 mph if i,m lucky . good luck getting back to fitness napoleon d . i only live down the road from you in northwich , let me know if you fancy a ride out when you,re up and running .tim.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I dropped that road to lamaload yesterday and now know why you came a cropper.

It's hideous!

The start of the descent is nice and then it just tightens up and the road surface gets worse. I presume you came off on that bottom left hander which tightens, gets rougher and has an adverse camber. I ended up runnning wide and being glad there were no cars coming as it would have been tight.

Hope the recovery is coming along nicely.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Anonymous
    Cheers Tim!

Feltup, I actually came off before that, trying to slow down for that hideous left hander that I knew was coming!
  • Anonymous
    This year has been cack so far, wife diagnosed with arthritis on hips, I broke leg, Dad's been very ill and just come out of hospital after a cancer scare.

I went for a job interview for a position I really wanted last week. I was all over the shop as my dad had been taken into hospital the night before and in order to try an focus a bit I only had 1 painkiller instead of the usual 2.

Out of 44 candidates I have just been told I am top of the list to start immediately but because of my current situation I may have to forego it! It's now in the hands of HR...

You just don't think of the knock on consequences of an accident when you are enjoying yourself on a ride.

I don't know whether to laugh, cry or throw up. probably all three...

Just a rant, this post serves no purpose other than to say BE CAREFUL!
  • Anonymous
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

COME ON!

Just gone out on the bike today (winter bike with flat pedals) to see how it felt. Felt ok. Thought I'd ride off the estate.

The result?

Managed 35 minutes to the next village and back including a 500m climb at 6% and a 1k climb at 3%.

I'm buzzing my t*ts off!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yep, documented in the Cheshire Cat preparation thread.

Crashed on the Lamaload descent, broke my leg thrice over.

On Friday the 13th no less.

Nasty nasty descend that one... shouldn't be included in a sportive. I've always been scared of that one when it's wet

Good luck with your recovery!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Blog updated.

Another mention on Eurosport today :)
  • Anonymous
    Wow.

Did an hour today on the trainer.

I was almost crying with happiness when I realised I had broken a sweat and was starting to feel my breathing get heavier!

Stats for the day -
    Entire workout (113 watts):
    Duration: 1:00:26 (1:01:24)
    Work: 406 kJ
    TSS: 70.2 (intensity factor 0.836)
    Norm Power: 125
    VI: 1.11
    Pw:HR: n/a
    Pa:HR: n/a
    Distance: 19.209 mi
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 276 113 watts
    Cadence: 29 166 73 rpm
    Speed: 2.7 29.5 19.2 mph
    Pace 2:02 22:27 3:08 min/mi

(Ignore the speed btw)

Look at the Max! Awesome. Max 2 minute effort was 170 watts.

What can I say but -

I'll be back!