100mile ride without cafe stop.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Hi.

I'm thinking of doing a 100mile ride soon, but I dont want to be stopping for a cafe stop.

How much food would I need to take? I know it's different with everyone but you know a rough amount, I wonder if I could get away with 2 bottles, one 750ml and other 650ml with energy drink in?

I'm just weighing things up ok, no p155 taking comments please. I'm asking a question.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Try working it out on the basis you will need approx 600 calories per hour, then see what you have that will fill that gap.

Say if you are aiming for 6 hours then, taking into account what your body already has, you will need about 2500-3000 calories in food/drink for the ride.

Have a look on the back of your gels etc. and you will see it's not that easy to make up that much!
  • Anonymous
    edited March 2009
    I'm not bothered about making all the calories up as long as I dont bonk AND get a headache. It's the cheshire cat 66mile route I'll do, except I'll be modifying it to work with riding out from the city center.

No one would normally make all the calories up tho anyway no? You'd have needed about 15 of those sausage rolls today to do so! I'd be in pain after that for sure!
  • fastcat
    fastcat Posts: 23
    See this recent thread on the same topic.
  • Anonymous
    Your body can probably do about 2000 cals on it's own so, taking into account irregularities you will need to carry 2500 to be safe, otherwise you'll bonk after about 3-4 hrs.
    The pro's have feeding stations on their rides of a similar length!
  • Anonymous
    edited March 2009
    I'm starting to think if I started this ride with the intention and only carried gels and 2 bottles maybe I'd have bitted off more than I could chew! :(

And I never realised I posted in that other thread O_o.

What I am thinking:

4 energy gels
    4 energy bars
    2 bottles filled with that energy drink stuff
    Maybe I could stuff 4 slices of oatmeal bread in my saddlebag too.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I've done 110 before - never stopped at a cafe on a ride - ever.

Depends on the intensity you're riding at. If you drink loads and loads of water before you go out, it'll be longer before you need to start to rehydrate. Put a pinch of salt in each bottle and it'll help you stay hydrated.

(I think) Up to a certain point (in terms of heart-rate), you only burn fat and, once you go beyond that point, you top up your energy needs by using more carbs as fuel. So, go slow enough and you can go for ages on bodyfat.

Lower intensities need slow release carbohydrates - Flapjacks, Porridge, Pasta, Sandwiches, Dried Fruit, etc

Higher intensities need quick release carbohydrates - see sweeties thread
  • Anonymous
    Oh my.

Oh my indeed.

Yes.
  • Anonymous
    Bhima wrote:
    I've done 110 before - never stopped at a cafe on a ride - ever.

Depends on the intensity you're riding at. If you drink loads and loads of water before you go out, it'll be longer before you need to start to rehydrate. Put a pinch of salt in each bottle and it'll help you stay hydrated.

(I think) Up to a certain point (in terms of heart-rate), you only burn fat and, once you go beyond that point, you top up your energy needs by using more carbs as fuel. So, go slow enough and you can go for ages on bodyfat.

Lower intensities need slow release carbohydrates - Flapjacks, Porridge, Pasta, Sandwiches, Dried Fruit, etc

Higher intensities need quick release carbohydrates - see sweeties thread

haha I concure with your experience, but.... mars bars = :D, hard sweets = choke

I'd not be aiming to do it slowely, just at my normal pace, all I know is, I did a 68mile ride into the peaks not so long ago, 4000+ft of climbing, and about 20miles from the apartment it was kinda windy, I was totally bonked on the flat and had a awful headache.

It would be easier doing a long ride with someone tho, I'd be scared doing it on my own like if my chain snapped.... :shock:

I'm just trying to get more miles in now, I might do 50miles from about 3pm tomoz, nights longer now, can cycle for hours more :D, and on tuesday and wednesday might do 50 too.

The reason I'm wanting to do 100on my own (I'd normally just wait till club runs where I am with more people) is because I feel these 68mile rides are not benefiting me when I have an aim of been able to complete 100+ rides again, last year I was doing 100+ rides every week, usually around 120minimum and it's been about 3 months since I done a long ride (109miles), and about 6 since I did a longer ride 140miles+)
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    You will never burn just fat, you will always burn gylcogen as well, it is just the percentages of each that change.

You should be OK with what you suggest, the biggest issue would be fluids, depending on how hot it was.

I used the following today for the 102m Cheshire Cat

3 x 750ml energy drink
    3 x Gels
    2 x Energy bar
    1 x Nutrigrain
    1 x banana
    1 x Jam Doughnut
    1 x Sausage Roll
    1 x Mini Swiss Roll

1 x Huge breakfast before leaving the house.

Depending on the intensity that should be more than ample.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I might do 100miles tomorrow
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • fastcat
    fastcat Posts: 23
    willhub wrote:
    I'm starting to think if I started this ride with the intention and only carried gels and 2 bottles maybe I'd have bitted off more than I could chew! :(

And I never realised I posted in that other thread O_o.

What I am thinking:

4 energy gels
    4 energy bars
    2 bottles filled with that energy drink stuff
    Maybe I could stuff 4 slices of oatmeal bread in my saddlebag too.

This sounds fine. Strongly recommend a decent breakfast too. I normally go for a big bowl of pasta, which really sets me up for the first couple of hours of a long ride.
  • Anonymous
    I tried beans on toast this morning.

Would pasta be better? Some mornings I find it difficult to consume large amounts of food, today was an exception where I managed a can of beans and 2 slices of toast.
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Hi Willhub,

I've done the 135-odd miles to my girlfriend's folk's place a couple of times without a stop. I can't remember exactly, but last time I think I got through about five bananas, a bag of jelly sweets, a sizeable sausage roll, about 3 or 4 gels and a lot of drink (about 3 litres of watered down lucozade sport with a bit of salt added). I was going at what was (for me) a fair lick - took a bit over seven hours to do it. I'm not sure if I'd gone slower I'd use less food due to the lower intensity, or more because it would have taken longer. On a century-plus without a stop I'll aim to eat something every hour, and take a bit extra on top of that. I used a 3l Camelbak; I know they're anathema to many roadies but for this sort of long-distance non-stop caper it's perfect.

And beans on toast is indeed the breakfast of champions!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Impossible to say about the fluid - but assuming the weather doesnt get too hot, then you'd manage with two bottles. Worst case is you pull into a garage and pick up a bottle there ?

For the 102m Cat I went through:
    three energy bars,
    two 750ml energy drinks,
    One cherry Bakewell,
    Two Jam Donuts,
    Two Sausage Rolls
  • Did the 102 Cat yesterday, no stops - 3x800mL energy drink, 4x60mL energy gels.
  • Anonymous
    Well I am planning on re running this ride on wednesday, about 100miles I guess though as it is from Manchester city center, anyone want to come? Maybe I should post in the rides section? Got one taker from the Manchester wheelers already I think. I'll draw a route up tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Thanks
    Will.
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    110 miles yesterday and 4L fluid. I'd never consider trying or doing it on just 1.5L. A lot depends on your body size and the heat.
  • Bhima
    What time you going out on Wednesday? The weather's supposed to be good.

Beans on toast is good but pasta is better - although takes longer to digest, even the smaller pieces. You'll need to have a generous serving of beans on toast to get the ame energy from a standard bown of pasta though.

About 5/6 pieces of toast with honey with a home-made fruit smoothie and bowl of weetabix is a good breakfast, which should cover everything.
  • Anonymous
    Bhima wrote:
    What time you going out on Wednesday? The weather's supposed to be good.

Beans on toast is good but pasta is better - although takes longer to digest, even the smaller pieces. You'll need to have a generous serving of beans on toast to get the ame energy from a standard bown of pasta though.

About 5/6 pieces of toast with honey with a home-made fruit smoothie and bowl of weetabix is a good breakfast, which should cover everything.

Unsure, I'll make a time when I hear back from the other guy and I'll draw a route up tonight, think we should meet at the Gateway in Didsbury though. I'll try the pasta in the morning, but what with??

I think maybe might have to have some sort of stop to fill up and possibly know of a cafe or two around the route to have an emergency stop for food if needed, it's a while since I've done a 100miler so dont know what i'll be like, I'm confident I should be able to do it, I know I'll be doing at least 2 in the next 2 weeks :p

So I'll get a route up tonight. Also thinking of going for a short spin tomorrow if you can coming along?, or if you know any good routes that are fairly short?
  • Bhima
    Yes, i'm going out tomorrow. But how short is short? :lol:

Here are a few of my regular shorter routes:

[51 Miles] www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=5637
    [34 Miles] www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=5638
    [32 Miles] www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=5639

Mainly rural roads like this:

2663_82152582072_587602072_2200769_52390_n.jpg
    n587602072_2157626_4379208.jpg
    n587602072_2117692_1704073.jpg
    n587602072_2117690_6460683.jpg
    2663_82166347072_587602072_2200928_7057405_n.jpg

Pasta is good with loads of grated cheese, melted butter and loads of black pepper and maybe a bit of tuna or baby tomatoes if you're very hungry. Pasta sauces can be a bit heavy for the morning. Having chopped up apple/pear/peach/banana/grapes mixed in with Natural Yoghurt and a spoon of honey helps too and is good 30 minutes after the pasta. It'll take about 3 hours to get digested though....
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    4 energy bars, 4 gels, 2 x 750ml bottles of energy drink +2 small bottles/ sachets of powder to refill your bottles with. I would stop at a garage or small shop to get more water when you refill.

You should get round with that easily! On sportives the most I would consume would be an energy bar or 2 gels plus 500ml of energy drink per hour. Quite often I don't manage that, but always go better when I do.
  • Anonymous
    Bhima, think we could do the 32mile route tomoz? I'll edit it slightly tho for me so the route will lead me off a different direction to get back, as I dont like the look of that road coming back in.
    Nickwill wrote:
    4 energy bars, 4 gels, 2 x 750ml bottles of energy drink +2 small bottles/ sachets of powder to refill your bottles with. I would stop at a garage or small shop to get more water when you refill.

You should get round with that easily! On sportives the most I would consume would be an energy bar or 2 gels plus 500ml of energy drink per hour. Quite often I don't manage that, but always go better when I do.

I'll have to go and buy some of the gels and that on the way I think, allthough it's expensive, 1 quid for 1.
  • Bhima
    Yes, sounds good. If you've got a better route or whatever, let us know. For some reason, whenever I go out with other riders, I never end up sticking to the routes exactly, for some reason, we always get distracted... :? :lol: The road on the way there is full of potholes but it's quick and was partly getting resurfaced the other day when I went out at 6am.

In UNI until 1 tomorrow, so it'll have to be after then.

As for Wednesday, let me know whenever you sort the route out... The Gateway is a good starting point.
  • Anonymous
    Is the gateway a good start for a ride tomoz too? I have some routes we could do, I dont know if you'll like them but they seem ok, we can go up swiss hill too :D. I dont want to be thrashing it along though if planning a 100miler for Wednesday.
  • Bhima
    Yeah, ok. I need a break from the usual roads and wanna check out swiss hill!

What time then?
  • Anonymous
    Bhima wrote:
    Yeah, ok. I need a break from the usual roads and wanna check out swiss hill!

What time then?

You going to be on later tonight? I'll check the routes out first then get back to you, just got some work to do at the moment.
  • Bhima
    Yes, can do all day up to about 8 when it gets darkish. Don't want to be out later than that as i've got a bit of a temperature-sensitive chest at the moment. Don't want to get a cough or anything.
  • Anonymous
    Well I dont intend on going out tonight, my legs still recovering from 66miles of cheshire cat, probably due to the amount of people that motivated me to push extra hard up the hills, and the number on the front :p

I meant, you going to be on the internets tonight? So I can give you details for tomoz.
  • Bhima
    Yes, I will be. :lol:

I read what you said wrong anyway, I thought you said "You going to be up for later tomorrow night" - so that's what I meant! :lol: Maybe I should start reading slower than 1000mph. :?
  • Anonymous
    Oh BTW.

On bikehike.co.uk

Go on find routes and on the find within 1km of, type M4 4DW, most routes you will see are ones I have made.