Ride Reports

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep! Just seen his ride details. A segment shooting gallery.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited April 2014
    Got the 92 mile ride in. Poor mate only turned up as he was feeling so guilty from letting me down the last time, but he had this screaming head cold. This knocked the avg speed right down and he suffered the whole way 'round.

However, we both cheered up when descending from Middleton Top on this insanely bumpy and stupidly steep road. I thought about it afterwards and it was way on the dangerous side of 'fun', but by 'eck it was a right laugh :)

So we got the whole of the Tissginton Trail in and most of the High Peak (which turned out to be much nicer to ride on) and with some other off-road bits I reckon almost 1/3 of the 92 mile was off road.

Oh, and ladies: keep cycling. There was this grey haired and properly old lady riding with her family on the Tissington Trail, she had a figure that would put girls a 1/3 of her age to shame.

I've done more miles this week than in the whole of March. I'm not sure this is something to be proud of as March was a crap month.

Oh, no broken spokes.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    nice work fella i managed 0 :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    edited April 2014
    Thanks - weird weather: glorious sunshine but enough of a chill in the air to keep the temps low. I was in 3/4 bibs, arm warmers, eVent jacket, long fingered gloves, gortex boots and spot on temp wise. Oh, and I got a sunburned neck.

2 quick photos:

Rob (left) and me (right) looking all stern like...

10274144_10152316216860053_5199395155242720185_n.jpg

and the view we had:

10012756_10152316221060053_5320654717149443998_o.jpg
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I managed to get sunburnt too :oops: (I was in the Highlands too) - I was in full summer gear. Did just 50 miles with 1100+m of climbing because I'm doing a century or so on Monday. Bizarrely I'm enjoying the hills at the moment - with AD6 looming in 6 or 7 weeks, I guess that's a good thing...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    So I can confirm Belgium is not flat.

The 174 miles of LBL 2014 done in 11 hours 27 minutes.

The first 85 miles down to Bastogne were superb. Only 5000 feet of climbing and a headwind but it was fast riding in peleton format. I then became stranded after a feed station and spent a good 15-20 miles riding solo. 120-140 miles was a dark place. The categorised climbs were something else. Steep as you like. I've never used a 20% gradient before to recover. After 140 miles the ride just became fun as I knew I would make it no matter what. The weather was superb. L

Sunday was trying to drink beer for as long as the ride took. I think we managed over 11 hours of Duvel. It became a bit of a blur.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    JZed wrote:
    So I can confirm Belgium is not flat.

I did NL/Bel on Saturday - lovely day: 130k and 2200m then Lux on Sunday 120k and 1600m - those are fairly bumpy numbers - and, yes, there's some steep hills in the Ardennes. For good measure, I did 160k and a very Dutch 390m today.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    I did the loop again today (92 miles but Endo decided to flip out). I am broken. Totally broken, I was getting dizzy over the last 10 miles or so and had to keep stopping. I couldn't even manage the last climb in the village and took the longer shallower incline so I could at least get home.

That headwind was a bloody nightmare... there were dust devils spinning down the trails at various points just to warn you of the bit when you'd get blown sideways, forwards, backwards and off the trail all at the same time.

It was just warm enough to keep you in a short sleeve top but as soon as you stopped you needed to put a jacket on then when you cycled off, after 10 mins you were overheating again. What a pain.

The worst bit was this roadie who joined the road just ahead of me and he was JUST quicker than me (I mean like 0.1mph quicker) so I kept looking up and seeing him... and of course I kept pushing more than I should and that just hurt. He would pull away on the uphills and I'd gain on him again on the flats and downhills. I got to within 100 yards at one point and then he caught the one set of lights and I missed them.

Still I got the miles in, which is about all that can be gained from that horrible, horrible headwind.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Can confirm Mallorca is a bit lumpy in places

1D3935B7-A9AE-422B-9FDD-AA636E8CE934_zpscyycyf7q.jpg
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Quick addendum to the above. I tried one of those protein recovery drinks when I got home and I have to say that my legs are not half as stiff / painful today as I would normally expect.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin

1D3935B7-A9AE-422B-9FDD-AA636E8CE934_zpscyycyf7q.jpg

Yeah that has a bit of climbing that route, i'll be there in 2 weeks times, again!

:roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Giro D'Italia Stage 2, by way of CRC's Sportive.

After my buddy smashed his arm up weekend before last, I wasn't looking forward to basically soloing this, but it was a brilliant ride overall, although the way up to the coast and the last few miles where unmistakably urban/utilitarian, the majority was through glorious scenery. The Coast Road deserves it's plaudits for beauty and then some. The Vanishing Lake climb was a long, hard slog, not steep but just sapping, but when finally crested, the run down to sea level over the viaduct through Cushendall was some of the finest cycling I've ever seen. The group I fell in with were top lads as well.

The wee CAAD performed impressively, even if my lack of proper training kicked in a little around 120 miles. It's a route I'll definitely hit again. Reasonably happy with 17.5 ish average over the distance, but I reckon I could maybe manage 18.5+ with a fairer wind and a little better pacing.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Ooh where did you stay, and would you recommend it? Looking to head there in Sept.
  • itboffin
    Giro D'Italia Stage 2, by way of CRC's Sportive.

After my buddy smashed his arm up weekend before last, I wasn't looking forward to basically soloing this, but it was a brilliant ride overall, although the way up to the coast and the last few miles where unmistakably urban/utilitarian, the majority was through glorious scenery. The Coast Road deserves it's plaudits for beauty and then some. The Vanishing Lake climb was a long, hard slog, not steep but just sapping, but when finally crested, the run down to sea level over the viaduct through Cushendall was some of the finest cycling I've ever seen. The group I fell in with were top lads as well.

The wee CAAD performed impressively, even if my lack of proper training kicked in a little around 120 miles. It's a route I'll definitely hit again. Reasonably happy with 17.5 ish average over the distance, but I reckon I could maybe manage 18.5+ with a fairer wind and a little better pacing.

Yeah doesnt it, we flew over the entire west coast in an old RAF prop a few years back, low and slow it was stunning.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426

Ooh where did you stay, and would you recommend it? Looking to head there in Sept.

PMd.

Edit: rather, I tried to but having major probs with the website today. Stayed in a villa just outside Pollenca Old Town and near the Port. Thoroughly recommend that one but it's no longer on line to view....

Know a few training camp type organisers so can put you in touch with them if you like (if only so you know which hotels/accom they use?)... Let me know
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    May Flyer (short course) with JonGinge.

Knackered. He's flying after LBL.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    40 lovely sunny miles through Rossendale first thing this morning.

Only I could get sunburned on a ride that finished at 10am. :oops:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    msmancunia wrote:
    40 lovely sunny miles through Rossendale first thing this morning.

Only I could get sunburned on a ride that finished at 10am. :oops:

Incorrect. I have a lovely Cheshire tan. Yes, it's more brassy than red or brown. Lovely day for it.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Managed 45 miles, topped fifty down a bit of the A68, haven't managed that sort of speed for a while!

I probably spent a bit too much on the down as I suffered on the Ryals afterwards.

Still no real sign of a tan.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Solo 100 miler out westwards from London, skirted Reading and Henley and brushed up against the Chilterns around Christmas Common, then down into Marlow and Home via Eton & Windsor. . Some lovely long stretches of empty roads. Perfect day for it, and really appreciate the time to myself. Caught the sun a little as well. Reverse of a route I've done twice before (once with JG and CJCP), fast becoming one of my favourites.

Distance: 100.5mi
    Moving Time: 5:00:17
    Total Time: 5:23:22
    Average: Speed: 20.1mph

Stopped the timer in Kingston and pootled the 9 miles home via RP. Thought my legs would be ruined today, but they seem fine. Wish I could get out again today/tomorrow.
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    Solo 100 miler out westwards from London, skirted Reading and Henley and brushed up against the Chilterns around Christmas Common, then down into Marlow and Home via Eton & Windsor. . Some lovely long stretches of empty roads. Perfect day for it, and really appreciate the time to myself. Caught the sun a little as well. Reverse of a route I've done twice before (once with JG and CJCP), fast becoming one of my favourites.

Distance: 100.5mi
    Moving Time: 5:00:17
    Total Time: 5:23:22
    Average: Speed: 20.1mph

Stopped the timer in Kingston and pootled the 9 miles home via RP. Thought my legs would be ruined today, but they seem fine. Wish I could get out again today/tomorrow.

Think I will have to steal this route.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Brighton & back with AlanSD of this parish. A nice round trip of 100 miles with a lovely 14mph tailwind blowing us all the way home.

Video highlights here; Alan is the rider in the yellow Scott top riding his Scott Addict from Westbrook cycles and I'm the one videoing.

Ya Mama! (Push the Tempo)

I can confirm that boy is fast!
    FCN = 4
  • Kieran_Burns
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Brighton & back with AlanSD of this parish. A nice round trip of 100 miles with a lovely 14mph tailwind blowing us all the way home.

Video highlights here; Alan is the rider in the yellow Scott top riding his Scott Addict from Westbrook cycles and I'm the one videoing.

Ya Mama! (Push the Tempo)

I can confirm that boy is fast!

I got to 30 seconds, realised I was staring at some guys lycra covered arse from a VERY bad place and stopped. :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I got to 30 seconds, realised I was staring at some guys lycra covered arse from a VERY bad place and stopped. :shock:

you spend too much time on your own up in that North place. You wanna move down south then you would learn to embrace men's bottoms :? :wink:
    FCN = 4
  • After getting my Dad into serious trouble with my Mum for completely ignoring her budget for his new bike and him putting in some solo training, we finally got out for a decent ride together. His aim is to come down South and complete a lap of the Isle of Wight with me at some point in July.

They live out on the Lincolnshire Fens where the order of the day is long, straight, flat roads and nowhere to hide from the wind.

I think my Mum was more worried about my Dad the night before. We set off fairly early in the sun but with a strong SW wind. My Dad's pace was good, around 16-17mph when out of the wind dropping to around 12mph into the wind. While the route lacked any spectacular views it was lovely and quiet out on the road enabling us to ride side by side for much of the route and enjoy the sun.

We stopped for a quick coffee in Bourne and the wind was behind us for the last third of the route so we really motored along. There might yet be a racer in my Dad as we reeled in and overtook a small group of riders at one point.

Overall a lovely morning out. Really nice to get a ride in away from my usual spots, go for a ride for the sake of enjoying myself rather than training towards something and to spend some quality time with my Dad. I've set him the task of finding some hills before our IoW ride. Confident he'll be able to do the IoW though, probably in around six hours.
  • itboffin
    31 mile round trip to the Cap For mentor lighthouse on Monday with shockingly bad roads and plenty of climbing, up to Puig Major on Tuesday over 4500 ft in 25 miles has totally ruined my left knee, so instead of my planned assault on Sa Calobra this morning I thought I'd spin out to the end of Alcudia and see what's there ...

I can tell you now whilst that might be a short ride it's anything but flat, regular 13% digs on a mixture of off road and sand covered pavement.

Descending on the way back was shall we say "interesting".
  • Kieran_Burns
    First ride out on the Madone this year. There hasn't been a rain free period long enough to not get it covered...

Only a 40 miler with the obligatory wrong turn (which turned out to be fortuitous as the route was MUCH nicer) as I was trying out the Selle Italia for the 1st time, and wow. What a difference.

Weird sight until I worked out what was going on when I saw a guy past the other way with a respro mask on. Then I realised: hay fever. Not exactly surprising as there was so much bloody blossom / wavy white stuff at one point I thought it was snowing!

Oh, and I hope the nice lady who did a classic clipless just as I went past is okay - her husband was right there so I didn't stop and further her humiliation.

I do have one simple summary for today's ride though: "Cyclists Sir! Faaaaaasands of 'em!"
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    First ride out with the new club; 87km in 2hrs 42.

Being a Tri club it's all about Tri distance runs at high tempo, no hills. Felt great to be doing a good distance at good speed with limited stops.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    Asprilla wrote:

Being a Tri club it's all about Tri distance runs at high tempo, no hills. Felt great to be doing a good distance at good speed with limited stops.

Where's the unfollow button? :evil:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    itboffin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Where's the unfollow button? :evil:

Hey, you can only work with what you've got. KW are still in bed when I want to go out and I get bored riding alone.

There at quite a few that will go out looking for hills but most of them were racing this weekend.

Oh, and can you recommend some clip-on aero bars?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX