Ride Reports

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Cold, cloudy and windy :evil:

What a difference a day makes :(

I struggled to find any enthusiasm today and my cycle computer is making up figures, slightly amusing to read a top speed of 50mph whilst climbing a hill.

I did hit 1964 miles for the year so far no thanks to the rubbish Jan/Feb weather. Still on track for 1 of my 2009 goals.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Saturday -
    Abington, up to Leadhills, over to Elvanfoot, over the Dalveen Pass, across some tiddly little lane towards Mennock, up the Mennock Pass to Wanlochead and up to the radar station.

Saw several lapwings and an arctic hare, still white.

Took bottled oxygen because a heavy cross bike and a 39x25 isn't ideal in a stiff headwind on that wall.

Nearly warped the brake discs on the hairpins on the way down.

50 miles and 1000+m of climbing.

Monday
    - pootle around the Tweed Valley, up to Glentress - funny looks from mtb'ers at the odd man riding what looks like a road bike to a mtb mecca.

Up.

Up.

Past some mtbers walking. All those gears and still walking. Only a 20% gradient boys.

Up to the antenna 450m from the car park.

Down.... lots..... nearly warped the brake discs, got cramp in my hands (had to keep the speed down)......pootle, home.

Good weekend. Cant walk any more, but good weekend.
  • itboffin
    21 miles out of sheer defiance, I will not become a prisoner in my own home a little gale force wind and thunder storm never hurt anyone..... did it?

Really humid today with low cloud fog type thing, luckyly most of the lanes were empty apart from one complete dick driving a red volvo estate way to quickly along single track lanes with high hedges and lots of tight turns better yet he didn't even bother to slow down or move over even a little bit :evil:

I did one of my regular routes in reverse it felt very weird going the wrong way up hills I usually fly down especially the one that had broken glass over the entire road at the steepest point.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    2 miles total today - to and from the pub.

That. ladies and gentlemen, is an excellent use for all that fitness gained from winter training......... :oops:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    linsen wrote:

That. ladies and gentlemen, is an excellent use for all that fitness gained from winter training......... :oops:

Great effort. I could say inspirational but that would be just lying. Are you and AT the same person now? There seems to be a certain similarity but I get confused easily, especially as I have been in the pub too, watching football. Best not to talk about football on here. It makes some people get very cross.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Finally I have a reason to post in this thread :-)
    After some diplomacy with the wife I finally got agreement to go out for a "short" ride to blow off some steam!
    I'd had a few routes planned that looped out included a little hill or two I was dying to conquer included along with some roads I wanted to explore.
    The plan was, given the lovely day, for the meet the wife at my mum's house where the kids have more room and toys to play with, me to disappear for a short while and then return to some friends and a BBQ :-) As it happened my mum had gone sick from work and the wife didn't really want to sit there by herself and listen to her moaning so I had to shave some mileage off, this meant my planned 40ish miler turned into a 30ish miler :-(

Setting off just after 1pm, with a rushed meal of a pasta sauce packet still probably a little to fresh inside me and the sun beating down on my arms and legs - it truly was a lovely day to ride. First thing I noticed was that it was a bit blowy and it took a few miles for things to warm up enough to not notice! Due to where the mum lives it meant a few miles of cycling on busier roads to get to the "good stuff" - thankfully my foreplanning on bikehike meant I knew I only had about 4 or 5 miles of this to deal with before getting some roadspace to myself.

This first section went my fairly quickly, the most impressive bit being my brief hold up as a guy reversed a huge artic into a small garden centre (the car park rather then the actual building.........) I always marvel at this as they can seem to put the trailer exactly where they want it! But I digress...........I eventually reach Corkscrew Hill in West Wickham, come flying down it and straight across the mini roundabout onto Layhams Road, which began my quieter section and 10 miles of cycling joy!

I'd chosen this road as I could basically follow it along without turning off to get down to the B270 near Titsey and it was brilliant! Passed a few cyclist coming the other way and gave them a friendly nod and passed an older couple of some tourer bikes with a cheery "afternoon!" Had one moment where I simply had to stop to get some pictures and spotted a rather interesting road that I might have to investigate at some point that ran across a valley, looked bolt straight with a nice descent/ascent!

Eventually turned right onto the B270 and started heading along the part of my route I'll be using twice that day, pass the sign the warns of the 16% hill at the next little roundabout, get a little flutter of anticipation as I know I've made it this far but have to resist the urge to divert as it's that hill I intend to climb! I bear left at the roundabout to head towards Westerham and have an amazing cycling moment.........it sounded windy but I couldn't see much moving around me, a few more cyclist past and nods exchanged and I'm now into a nice tuck on the drops. I'm freewheeling and seem to be picking up speed so I can only assume I have a tailwind..........a quick look down at the cycle comp confirms this as I flying along just north of 30mph :shock: It was amazing!!!! I passed a car trying to turn out of a side road with a massive grin on my face as I apply some assistance to up the speed even further, thankfully I think my manic grin put them off turning onto the road ahead of me!

Hit Westerham and had to slow to a stop for the first time in about 10 miles to negotiate a right turn onto the A25 to head home, once out of the town the road open up into a dual carriageway and I can again get into my groove and get the speed backup. I pass a small squad of police cars pulling over drivers, presumably the tax dodging variety, good work to get em off the road but not the best day to be out in the full on high-vis and I imagine with would have been rather sweaty..........

Knowing what is ahead and using today as a test ride I rip the tab off the top of my zipvit energy gel, my first time trying something like this and it was rather odd. The texture was a bit bizarre and there was rather a lot in there! I spot my turn off ahead so make a quick shoulder check and bear right to get into the filter lane. Lights go green and I'm round, through the lovely little houses and shops and then see the other warning sign - 16% hill 1 mile ahead, excellent I'm in the right place!

Seems I chose the right day to tackle this road as it was being resurfaced, so there where loads of loose stones everywhere :evil: Of course none of the drivers around seemed to pay attention to the signs and stick to the 10mph limit and I took a stone to the finger which was a bit of a shock! A bit further up just before the hill starts we meet the lorry laying it and I had to ride over the freshly laid stuff which was rather annoying. The stones stuck to my Gator Skins and I ended up having to pull over to remove them for fear of a puncture! Took me a couple of attempts to get started up hill in such a low gear with the clipless pedals! I got going and set myself in for the slog up Titsey Hill! Didn't need to dip down so low that I hit the lowest low gear but I managed to chug up nicely and worked up through the gear again once it started to flatten out!

It was a dozy and will have to be revisited as it seems like a nice one for training, especially as I think it's probably one of the nicer hills local(ish) to where I live!

The return leg was fairly fun, loads of sun and more nice views before turning off the head into town. Nailed the little slalom section in Fairleigh towards Selsdon in an effort to get some momentum up to tackle the climb on the other side, needless to say it didn't work as anticipated and I ended up having to shift from big to small ring and knocked about 25mph off my speed! Had a little kid in the car that had followed me down the hill stare at me as they passed, I'm guessing they don't normally see cyclist who can hold off cars :-)

The route itself is here:

https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/wor ... ?id=867326

Still a bit concerned with the accuracy of the ST GPS (even with my external one) and it seems to suggest that the road at the top of Titsey Hill moved 200ft further away from the sea whilst I was away...........
    Hoping to get the pictures up on FB at some point as they aren't fantastic quality on there!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Knowing what is ahead and using today as a test ride I rip the tab off the top of my zipvit energy gel, my first time trying something like this and it was rather odd. The texture was a bit bizarre and there was rather a lot in there!

I tried one of those for the first time on Monday and I have to say it was sickly to say the least. I also found it hard work getting the gel in to my mouth, I think I will stick to bars in future.

Another thing I learnt on Mondays ride is that as you get tired you can get fixated on the next climb. I was descending in to the Goyt Valley and looked across and saw the road out what I should have been doing was paying attention to the tightening corner which I was flying in to at 40+mph. That got the heart rate up. :shock:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Bassjunkieuk
    @FU - I don't think I'll be using the gel again, the size of the sachet did mean it was difficult to get down and it did seem rather sticky! Would have been better if it was a simple case of one squeeze and squirt it all in ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Feltup
    I like the zipvit energy bars and clif bars.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    @FU - I don't think I'll be using the gel again, the size of the sachet did mean it was difficult to get down and it did seem rather sticky! Would have been better if it was a simple case of one squeeze and squirt it all in ;-)

@Bass - not sure gels are really necessary on a 30 miler, they're great when you're 70 miles in and about to hit a big climb but for shorter runs I'd stick to clif bars or just some malt loaf stuffed in the jersey pocket. Key is to get a good carb heavy feed in pre-ride. Ride nutrition is one of those rather personal things and it can take a bit of experiment to determine what works for you.
  • il_principe

A female friend of mine described the SiS gels as having "the texture and consistency of flavoured sperm" :shock: :shock:

I steer clear of gels whenever possible now!
  • Feltup

A female friend of mine described the SiS gels as having "the texture and consistency of flavoured sperm" :shock: :shock:

Well that has now sealed the fate of gels for me!

The only problem I have with bars is that I always seem to hit a climb just after stuffing a load in my mouth. There just haven't been enough flat sections on the rides I have been doing in the peak. I nust look like a hamster on some of those climbs as I try and make space in my mouth for breathing!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • tedlarue
    tedlarue Posts: 54
    Finally I have a reason - the B270 near Titsey

Funny you should mention Titsey Hill. I'm contemplating cycling to a friends in Oxted (I'm coming from Purley) and I'd probably follow that route. Now coming down it would be quite exhilarating but I don't think I've got the legs to get back up it! I've only been cycling regularly for the past month or so, so I might earmark that hill as a future goal.
  • Bassjunkieuk

@Bass - not sure gels are really necessary on a 30 miler, they're great when you're 70 miles in and about to hit a big climb but for shorter runs I'd stick to clif bars or just some malt loaf stuffed in the jersey pocket. Key is to get a good carb heavy feed in pre-ride. Ride nutrition is one of those rather personal things and it can take a bit of experiment to determine what works for you.

I was only testing it out yesterday, I suspected that 30 miles wouldn't really warrant an energy gel but as I had one from the zipvit pack and rides like this for me and few and far between I need to take all chances to test things! I don't think I'll be using it again tho, might take one on the C2C for the last big climb!

I didn't get the best meal post ride but that was many due to it all being a bit of a surprise that I could go out and a few other circumstances! In retrospect I actually felt like I had more energy on the ML, I suspect part due to better food prep (thanks Mrs ITB :-)) and not having had a week off the bike before!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Rich158 wrote:
    An angry ride this morning, the hills didn't stand a chance.

First came 25%, then 16% leading up to 20%, the 1 mile slow grind, the 16%er and then another 20% effort. All in 50 miles and 3500ft of vertical ascent, god the legs suffered but it felt soooooo goood

Also held 28-30mph through some lanes for some excilerating twisty turny fun. There's nothing like heading for a bend at 30 and carving through it and trusting your judgement that the road ahead is clear. Pure adrenaline rush :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only downside was the drag back home, I usually pile along it at 25mph plus, and ride the 5 miles or so like a time trial. Unfortunately the puncture fairy had other ideas :twisted:

Still, all in all a good day, 50 miles, 3500ft of stiff climbing all in 39x25, and an average speed a shade under 17 mph :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: magic

Rich - Are these rides out in Kent or somewhere else?

I am trying to extend my mileage and start to take in a few more serious hills and it seems like you know where they are!!

I live near Bluewater shopping centre and ride mostly in the area around Brands Hatch (Ash, Hartley, Eynsford, Otford, etc) but am looking to stretch that out a bit.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    did my first proper ride after being ill a while back on monday... 40 miles the first 20 were slow but then I started to feel better and even though my legs were getting tired near the end I still managed to sprint over croydon flyover at 30mph, which was very pleasing.. I then went round the block twice to make the trip up to 40 miles.. 39 just felt wrong.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Benno68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Where did you go?

From Llandough down Leckwith Hill, that was the 45mph bit. Up Llandaff Road - Llantrissant Road to the end, then left towards to Pendoylan and up to the A48, down 5 Mile Lane into Barry, through Barry then to Cosmeston and home.

If you fancy a pootle around next time your down here on a Sunday (my only day off), gimme a shout.

Cool. Sunday morning is probably the best bet as I tend to come back up on Sunday afternoon.

Yep, Leckwith Hill is a bit quick. The loose gravel on it makes me a little nervous, so I tend to go down Penarth Rd, out to Llantrisant Rd by your route, and onto Creigiau and P-super-Ely, back along the A48, turn off at Dyffryn and through the lanes to Gilby's and back to Penarth via Wenvoe, St Andrews Major and then either Barry (your way) or Dinas and up Redlands Rd. I'd be staying about two mins ride from Cosmeston. I'll put into Bikely and send you it if you're interested.

There's also a road along the coast from Rhoose to Llantwit Major - but that was really hard going with a belter of an onshore breeze :shock: - and you can head into Cowbridge for a cake stop. :)

Nice one, I think 30 - 35 miles is probably my limit at the moment so any route would be good.

I know the road Llantwit - Rhoose well. In fact the final ride I had before my 15 year break involved that road, a nightmare if the wind is against you.

Yet to get my backside in gear to do this Bikely route - work in the evenings has got in the way - but I think it's about 35 miles, so very do-able. The one bit I don't much like is the A48 to Dyffryn - lots of room, but want to find a route that literally takes you over the A48 from P-s-Ely which takes you in the Dyffryn/Gilbey's direction and without heading to Cowbridge. I think there's a farm in the way. Drat!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Not report from my today as it's an official rest day, suns out and not even the slightest breeze grrrrr :evil:

Whilst in London town this morning I found myself stopping and staring at my fellow commuters which normally would be fine but not if your suited and booted and on foot - it just makes you look like a weirdo :roll:

Bet it rains tomorrow as well :evil:
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:
    Not report from my today as it's an official rest day, suns out and not even the slightest breeze grrrrr :evil:

Whilst in London town this morning I found myself stopping and staring at my fellow commuters which normally would be fine but not if your suited and booted and on foot - it just makes you look like a weirdo :roll:

Get out on your bike, it's bound to rain and you'll be kicking yourself.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    linsen wrote:

Great effort. I could say inspirational but that would be just lying. Are you and AT the same person now? There seems to be a certain similarity but I get confused easily, especially as I have been in the pub too, watching football. Best not to talk about football on here. It makes some people get very cross.

Honestly Christophe 374514274957635283494 I have no idea what you are talking about.
    :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Christophe3967

Well I've got half a box of the flippin things left - they are truly digusting, but you're not going to put me off. There's a credit crunch ffs. Someone once told me that she thought men eating bananas sent out the wrong message, and that hasn't put me off either. :roll:
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Another good one this morning, 53 miles 3800ft of climbing, at an average of 17mph :lol:

I'm getting to love these early morning rides, the upside to insomnia is getting out on the bike as dawn breaks, which has been fantastic.

The climbs were difficult today, very slippery roads and a Michellin Lithion tyre on the back (an emergency measure due to flint damage), which I've never been quite happy with. Still good practice in putting the power down whilst standing on the pedals, and finding enough traction to stop the rear wheel from slipping out :shock:

Had a slightly amusing incident half way through, drafting a car through the lanes I was enjoying the look on the drivers face when he realised he couldn't shake me and missed a turn. Passing massive house after massive house, interspersed with mobile homes I realised my mistake and felt very uneasy, it was a slightly odd place in the middle of nowhere. Suddenly the road ended and the car I had been following turned down a private road that apppeared to lead to what can only be described as a trailer park, on the edge of some woods in the middle of nowhere.

Not wanting to be made to squeal like a pig :shock: I decided to make a hasty U turn, and on the unmade road had what can only be described as a clipless moment, which dunked me sideways into a very large very muddy puddle :cry:

Still the upside is that I wanted to get home so quickly I managed to hit and hold (if only for a brief second) 33mph on the flat, and held 30 for longer than I ever have done in the past :lol::lol::lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    took the old girl out hunting steep hills today, was reasonbly cool which is good for me as i overheat but am almost impossible to get too cold.

any way out though esher-cobham, then east horsely and the shere - farley green down though winterfold forest and loop around back though winterfold forest to have a break at peaslake, before heading back up past ranmore common and home bound.

some nice sharpish hills, the one up winterfold was a nice steep hill, (i've missed steepness...) though fairly short, whitedown was rather fun going up.

only 50 miles and fairly bushed at end of it but i think i'm getting fitter if not lighter!
  • Christophe3967
    linsen wrote:
    linsen wrote:

Honestly Christophe 374514274957635283494 I have no idea what you are talking about.
    :wink:

That Audrey Hepburn look doesn't fool any of us. The Clangers are taking over...
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689

Well I've got half a box of the flippin things left - they are truly digusting, but you're not going to put me off. There's a credit crunch ffs. Someone once told me that she thought men eating bananas sent out the wrong message, and that hasn't put me off either. :roll:

Your lady friend sounds like a great woman Jash! :wink:

Christophe - just don't think too hard when you swallow :mrgreen:

As for me, never tried them and after this, I never will :lol:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Feltup
    Rich158 wrote:
    Another good one this morning, 53 miles 3800ft of climbing, at an average of 17mph :lol:

You sure your computer isn't malfunctioning? It seems to read 17mph av for every ride ;-) If not it looks like you are on for a sub 7hr FW!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I hope not, otherwise I'm really kidding myself :roll: I just round it up for the report, I think it was 16.9 this morning so close enough :wink:

I don't think a sub 7hr FWC is on the cards, I've got the legs for the distance but definately not that amount of climbing :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Get out on your bike, it's bound to rain and you'll be kicking yourself.

Did and it did :D Oh well best have a large glass of vino instead :wink:
  • boy on bike
    boy on bike Posts: 139
    tomorrow I'm going to ride to Loughborough: looks like I'll be cycling out of drizzle in the South into a 13mph headwind further up :? I'll let you know how I get on...
  • itboffin
    tomorrow I'm going to ride to Loughborough: looks like I'll be cycling out of drizzle in the South into a 13mph headwind further up :? I'll let you know how I get on...

Leading a secret double life :wink:
    Nice new bike btw shame about the pie plate :lol: