Ride Reports

Comments

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I shall be pacing it and trying to slow my mate down at the start and not chase him up Hawkeshead or Kirkstone actually any of the climbs!

A drop of oil on the ex colleagues brake pads should help you beat him :wink:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I can recommend a kidney punch at the start, really takes the wind out of their sails :roll: :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Unfortunately my ex-collleague is a girl, so chivalry prevents me from sabotage or physical attack :wink: Spiking her drinks the night before though may be an option :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    I'm shattered after a 4 1/2 hrs ride today with 8 hills above 1000ft but best of all Nokia maps v3 kept me on course the whole way an itboffin 1st.

Map+Ovi+NST = endless hours of free GPS cycling fun, http://maps.ovi.com check it out

Edit. Chapeau to Polaris for my el cheapO jacket as reviewed by me somewhere on this forum performed amazingly today in the cold, wind, rain & hail so much so that I even took off two base layers and once again the jacket was bone dry when I got home.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    itboffin wrote:
    Map+Ovi+NST = endless hours of free GPS cycling fun, http://maps.ovi.com check it out
    I don't get what Ovi gives me (got Nokia Maps and Sportstracker on n82). I watched the vid but don't really get it. Is it something I need?
  • itboffin
    Yep 1st you need map v3 on the phone then go to maps.ovi.com signup install the browser plugin and create your routes on your PC then sync with your mobile :D blow by blow directions on the old mobile, ace!!! and free

okay so it's early days at the moment but maps & nst could be a serious contender against garmin :shock:
  • alfablue
    Ah now I get it - route planning!

Cheers IT - will be signing up!
  • itboffin
    New versions of anything is an irresistible carrot to IT geeks :)
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    itboffin wrote:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/s ... d_piece_of

Very strong language throughout, be warned :)
  • itboffin
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/s ... d_piece_of

Very strong language throughout, be warned :)

That is some funny fucking shit :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • alfablue
    Oh dear, Maps V3 is still in beta, they have recently updated it to work on feature pack 1 phones (n82) but when I tried the Maps Updater it said "not enough information about phone..." error. As I have read of installations failing and preventing restoration of Maps 2 I guess I'll have to wait for the final release - oh well, was all excited for a few minutes :cry:

Thanks for the heads up though IT, I am jealous however, I don't like being a late adopter!
  • itboffin
    alfablue wrote:
    Oh dear, Maps V3 is still in beta, they have recently updated it to work on feature pack 1 phones (n82) but when I tried the Maps Updater it said "not enough information about phone..." error. As I have read of installations failing and preventing restoration of Maps 2 I guess I'll have to wait for the final release - oh well, was all excited for a few minutes :cry:

Thanks for the heads up though IT, I am jealous however, I don't like being a late adopter!

:shock:

Throw that phone away :D after all it doesn't have wifi :shock:

I always unlock my phones then flash them with the latest Nokia firmware not always with good results.
  • alfablue
    Oh, it does have wi fi. Not too keen on unlocking it, on a contract.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Today I went on a ride in the New Forest with my offspring.

Average speed 0.9mph (or thereabouts)

Number of hissy fits thrown - just the one (no, not by me :roll: )

New skill developed - one. I can clear a six inch log on my mtb (with a decent run-up) :D

I'll think about the sciatica thing Monday, after I have managed my metric century. Actually it feels much better. I can only assume my body was sulking after a week off two wheels.......
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    Today's ride was the shortest in 2 months and by far one of the hardest, I was blowing 4 miles in, although I did manage to pull a PB for the 12 mile lap after much MTFU and 1:! talking too.

Next week will be very very different, the goal posts have been changed BIG time :evil:
  • linsen
    Managed my metric century for March with no problems (hurrah for living near the flat New Forest)

Well. nearly. Just going up the dropped kerb OUTSIDE my house when I took it at the wrong angle and fell off. Now have a large swelling on my hip and an ouchy elbow.

Grrr
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    Managed my metric century for March with no problems (hurrah for living near the flat New Forest)

Well. nearly. Just going up the dropped kerb OUTSIDE my house when I took it at the wrong angle and fell off. Now have a large swelling on my hip and an ouchy elbow.

Grrr

Well done on the Metric, close call that one but really what where you thinking re the kerb isn't that the same way Biondio injured himself?

tut tut :roll:
  • linsen
    no - he was trying to bunny hop up a kerb. I was trying to ride gracefully up a dropped kerb, but got it at just the wrong angle and the bike slid against it rather than going up it.

I save my bunny hopping antics for the MTB...... :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I got out on my MTB this weekend before the wife and boy woke up.

Alarm went off at 6 on saturday morning threw some clothes on some OJ down my neck and rode to the start of Follow the Dog on Cannock chase, about 2 miles from my house maybe less. Did the extended loop 1 fall 1 dab and one wuss out and walk down some logs it was ace :D.

Got home tho and the wife was up I said I'd be back by 8 but I hosed my bike off in the garden and didn't get into the house until 8:09!!! Suffice to say I was introuble. Women! :oops:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    We (family) did 19 miles this morning climbing to a cool 1000ft+ it was totally exhausting as the Beast II is a full susser which basically just bounced for the entire 19 miles each pedal stroke at least 2/3 of the power just bounced away, must be something to do with the trailer bike because it never used to do that.

It felt like climbing a mountain on a pogo stick :?
  • linsen
    itboffin wrote:
    We (family) did 19 miles this morning climbing to a cool 1000ft+ it was totally exhausting as the Beast II is a full susser which basically just bounced for the entire 19 miles each pedal stroke at least 2/3 of the power just bounced away, must be something to do with the trailer bike because it never used to do that.

It felt like climbing a mountain on a pogo stick :?

why oh why do you do this to yourself?
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    prawny wrote:
    I got out on my MTB this weekend before the wife and boy woke up.

Alarm went off at 6 on saturday morning threw some clothes on some OJ down my neck and rode to the start of Follow the Dog on Cannock chase, about 2 miles from my house maybe less. Did the extended loop 1 fall 1 dab and one wuss out and walk down some logs it was ace :D.

Got home tho and the wife was up I said I'd be back by 8 but I hosed my bike off in the garden and didn't get into the house until 8:09!!! Suffice to say I was introuble. Women! :oops:

Sounds like everyone was out on their MTB this weekend.

Had my first ride on the Reign X1 this weekend, it's been sulking in the shed for at least a month since I got it. Damn this road bike madness, I'd have never waited 4 days let alone four weeks before taking the new MTB out a year ago :shock:

Anyway had a fantastic day at Aston Hill with my oldest, watching him wheeze and whine back up the hill was hilarious, 18 months at Uni has killed his fitness. Had a few runs down the lighter trails, and a quick play on the 4x before deciding to hit the black run :lol: wtf, they've moved everything, where I used to have the black run dialed all of a sudden it shoots of in a diferent direction :shock: that's definately one for the future.

Back to playing on the 4x, and eyeing up the road gap that killed my beloved Ellsworth. A few trial runs show I can't get the line right, and decide to roll over it, only to be followed by some twelve year old who nailed it, and the table after :shock: walking back up his dad happened to comment 'that's how it's done'. Resisting the urge to strangle the smug git decide it's time to pack up and take my aching body home :lol::lol::lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Me and two mates did a three-lapper of RP on Saturday. 75 minutes :oops:

(we weren't going balls out, and the wind had to be felt to be believed - 13mph at one point on the usually-lovely Robin Hood to Roehampton stretch - and one of my mates was struggling after not having ridden his roadie for 6 months. But still. Sigh)

I got cramp on lap two but stopping was discouraged so I gritted my teeth and kept going, stretching while freewheeling, and it seemed to go over the next lap. This morning, then, when I got out of bed, I was dismayed to find I couldn't get my heel within about three inches of the ground! A lot of gradually and gingerly stretching the muscle (plus swearing) left me at least able to walk but b*gger me it's sore! I think I might have to start doing exercises to counter the muscle and tendon-shortening tendencies of riding a bike. Anyone got any useful links to what might be involved?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Some stretches plus core stablity stuff in CW lately:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Throlkim
    Throlkim Posts: 94
    Just did a 24 mile loop from my house to Chipping Norton (where Clarkson lives) and back again. Had to walk it up a couple of hills, but overall I'm feeling pretty good about it. In retrospect it was all uphill on the way, but I did get back nearly entirely in my biggest gear and at 30-40mph. :D

tochippingnorton.png
  • itboffin
    24 uninspired cloudy miles until crunch jammed rear mech and fooked jockey wheel, managed to limp into Marlborough and call out the support vehicle.

That's what I get for riding the BIG RING up every hill and ignoring the non functional BIG/BIG combo :evil:

I blame the cheap 105 mech, look out wiggle :roll:
  • itboffin
    I've installed a longer stem and flipped it what could go wrong :?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Did 90 miles last Friday from Leeds to Windermere with my sister's bloke (enroute to her 30th) and a mate of his. Good, quiet roads, fairly challenging terrain and the kind of absolutely horrendous weather that only us three idiots appeared willing to deal with. Saw not one other 'proper' cyclist the whole day.

Must've been a 15-20 mph headwind for a lot of the time. Even on several noticably downhill stretches it was a real struggle to get any speed into the wind. The climb from Oughtershaw over the top (2,000ft ASL and snow on the road) to Hawes was a right bugger given the conditions, and the wind was so blustery down the other side that I was being blown all over the road at 25 mph.

It was only after lunch on the road between Hawes and Sedbergh that we dropped out of the wind enough to actually make decent progress. Pretty knackered by the time we reached Kendal, and the last few miles to Windermere felt like a never ending series of rolling hills.

Total time was going on for 9 hours, which is a rather pathetic sounding average of just over 10mph. Given the completely adverse conditions though, I'm really up for doing it all again when the weather is better.
  • itboffin
    30 miles but unlike the rest of the UK today it was still windy here :( 20mph gusts which felt much stronger :evil:

Still I managed to use my new 1cm longer stem to full effect on the hills, my revised set up has helped me increase my climb avg by 2mph :D
  • itboffin
    Today I will be mostly tackling the highest hill in Wiltshire on my single speed, well attempting it at least :D