Weekday antisocial rides

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    How about a duvet quarter? :P

I have done barely any riding this week, tests on Monday down in So'ton (which I passed, yay) and have been celebrating various things with friends. Week o'hangover.

I'm going back to essex to recuperate. I may ride to the seaside tomorrow.

I'll be riding to the seaside tomorrow (Friday Night Ride to the Coast, HPC to Felpham near Bognor- as it's a mere 25 miles to home I'll then ride back). Somewhat later than your ride, I imagine....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Stuey01 wrote:
    WTF is a duvet day?

Basically it means that twice a year I can ring my office before work and say "I'm taking a Duvet Day" I can then spend the day doing whatever I like - usually this entails recovering from something. They're not allowed to be booked or planned in advance and requests can be refused, but basically they ROCK.

Of course a duvet month would be better...

OMG.

I can barely even take my holiday because of the difficulty in arranging cover etc. I have 30days remaining un-booked this year.

Goddamit.

get a real job, don't know you're born, job down the pit, etc etc yadda yadda yadda. :D:wink:
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:
    WTF is a duvet day?

Basically it means that twice a year I can ring my office before work and say "I'm taking a Duvet Day" I can then spend the day doing whatever I like - usually this entails recovering from something. They're not allowed to be booked or planned in advance and requests can be refused, but basically they ROCK.

Of course a duvet month would be better...

OMG.

I can barely even take my holiday because of the difficulty in arranging cover etc. I have 30days remaining un-booked this year.

Goddamit.

get a real job, don't know you're born, job down the pit, etc etc yadda yadda yadda. :D:wink:

Could always become a rail or tube worker? They seem to be good at getting some days off with all their strike action..........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Out of my way minions, I have work to do :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Fear me for I can ride my bike more than 6 miles :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Fear me for I can ride my bike more than 6 miles :roll:

yeah but not without wearing a knee brace and having an ice pack after... :P

Get yersel better asap so you can at least look like you can stay with me on the racetrack :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • itboffin
    MM don't make me use the Spray on you.
  • :lol:
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • itboffin
    Planning 21 miles tomorrow i'm very very excited :D:D:D:D

really I am you have no idea how much i've missed being out on the bike even if it takes more than 2 hrs
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    itboffin wrote:
    Planning 21 miles tomorrow i'm very very excited :D:D:D:D

really I am you have no idea how much i've missed being out on the bike even if it takes more than 2 hrs

Thought you not allowed more than 6 miles? You aiming for knee replacement then? :shock:
  • itboffin
    blow dust off thread

I'm heading out now, might be sometime ....
  • itboffin
    That was fun, i'm off again 8)
  • itboffin
    Okay so it's not a weekday but still it is a solo ride.

I've been off the bike for about three weeks now, all the while steadily gaining weight and losing fitness so I think to myself what better way to test my fitness and restart my Alps training, than with a gentle ride to London, well Potter Bar actually ....

How busy can the A4 be on a wet Sat morning ..?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Another little bump. As some of you know, I'm doing this year's Royal British Legion London to Paris ride, heading off on the morning September 2 (donations gratefully accepted via the link in my sig). As I'm supposed to be at the sign-in point in Greenwich Park at 6.30 am (plus no train from Pompey early enough and I'd rather be well rested!), I'll be staying the previous night in a B&B. And for the evening, I'm thinking a spot of Wednesday night carb-loading (Look Mum No Hands perhaps, or of course a certain boozer on Millbank) and a bit of a pootle. Any and all are welcome to join me.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Since there is very little SCR in these parts, thought I would resurrect this classic ITB thread.

Haven't been on the bike much recently due to manflu but got the chance to go for a ride yesterday lunchtime as I needed run an errand to Colerne.

Only a "quick" jaunt.

Used Cyclestreets to plan the route but did not count on some offroading. Past Bathampton it took me through a farmer's field which given recent rainfall was waterlogged. Managed to somehow get through it but my road shoes got caked in mud. Not good.

Back on the tarmac, I hangered right in Batheaston and up Morris Lane and Bannerdown Road (550ft ascent in 1.5 miles). Been a while since I've done any climbs and also still getting over some recent manflu so this was VERY hard work. All in the pi**ing rain.

However, once I reached the plateau, all was well and hammered along at a rate of knots. Return journey was also a lot of fun especially with the decent this time.

This was all on my GT hybrid. Cannot. Wait. Till the sun comes out and I can really open the taps on the Izoard.
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • itboffin
    Dude I thought you was like ....Dead n shite!

you know wickerman style :roll:

Not from around ere!!!

:lol:

Stay off the moors ........
  • Nope, still ere. The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. :D
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • itboffin
    Nope, still ere. The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. :D

Glad to hear it :wink:

I did a cool mini sportive this morning http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63667620

They have another in a couple of weeks .... :roll:
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    itboffin wrote:
    Nope, still ere. The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. :D

Glad to hear it :wink:

I did a cool mini sportive this morning http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63667620

They have another in a couple of weeks .... :roll:

Looks like a nice ride, had to zoom out to 20k ft to see a town i'd heard of.

Heart Rate
    Avg HR: 180 bpm
    Max HR: 206 bpm
    :shock:

You're either a very precocious 14y.o. or have a Ti valves in that muscle.
  • itboffin
    Seeing as I have a headcold I thought a spin in the stiff cold headwind might help :?

Popped out and did the 2011 Communicat sportive route, very nice it is too however my Garmin insisted on sending me up and down white hill near Kingsclere which was bloody unsporting and cruel.

Riding around greenham common was prob the worst part, the wind was in full effect, loads of impatient cars waiting to pass then passing to close and fast, I can't even begin to explain the state of the road surface. Anyone doing the Magnificat this year i'd recommend bigger than 23c tyres as every something like conti hardshells and lower pressure.

Did I mention the headwind? well let me tell you, it was farking bad, the last 28 miles head on and freezing cold.

With the getting there and back from home a total for 68.4 miles
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/72117120

Edit: @cambs note the significantly lower avg HR it would have been lower still if it wasn't for the headwind on the way home - did I mention the headwind?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:
    Seeing as I have a headcold I thought a spin in the stiff cold headwind might help :?

Popped out and did the 2011 Communicat sportive route, very nice it is too however my Garmin insisted on sending me up and down white hill near Kingsclere which was bloody unsporting and cruel.

Riding around greenham common was prob the worst part, the wind was in full effect, loads of impatient cars waiting to pass then passing to close and fast, I can't even begin to explain the state of the road surface. Anyone doing the Magnificat this year i'd recommend bigger than 23c tyres as every something like conti hardshells and lower pressure.

Did I mention the headwind? well let me tell you, it was farking bad, the last 28 miles head on and freezing cold.

With the getting there and back from home a total for 68.4 miles
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/72117120

Edit: @cambs note the significantly lower avg HR it would have been lower still if it wasn't for the headwind on the way home - did I mention the headwind?

I seem to remember it was Ashford HIll that got me last year - didn't notice any wind though :)
  • itboffin
    Nice pootle loop yesterday from home through Wooton Rivers up to Clench Common and back home http://ridewithgps.com/trips/191729

and today 16.5 miles bumbling around in the forest on my MTB, much fun was had, burning along hard packed fire roads, trails, climbs & drops. http://ridewithgps.com/trips/191730

Now for a cold beer and perhaps Chinese takeaway for dinner 8)
  • itboffin
    Busy day fettling the MTB & Road then a PB 10 mile on the Trek 8) followed by a mostly gentle ride along the Kennet & Avon canal, what a lovely afternoon to be out riding in the sunshine.

Not all bad eh!
  • itboffin
    Well the sun is shining it would be rude not too 8)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    For some strange reason I was cycling in Richmond Park at 5:45 this morning. Foggy. The rising sun burning through said fog was stunning :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Having only just got up, i'm now sitting drinking coffee in the kitchen pondering "should I finish stripping the paint from the front door?" or "suit up and head for the hills?"

hmmmm
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    Having only just got up, i'm now sitting drinking coffee in the kitchen pondering "should I finish stripping the paint from the front door?" or "suit up and head for the hills?"

hmmmm

Have a few tinnies first, stop you bonking
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

hmmmm

Have a few tinnies first, stop you bonking

Natch

Although it is almost time for ..... Pimms o'clock 8)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Finally broke the hour for the RP3LC this year. Sunset was beautiful in the Park. Lovely conditions.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    cjcp wrote:
    Finally broke the hour for the RP3LC this year. Sunset was beautiful in the Park. Lovely conditions.

Nice one - you're ramping it up. Don't peak too soon :wink:

Managed to put in a good 86 miles with the Wheelers. Enjoyable ride and group - very evenly matched and kept a good lick the whole way.

Was in the park on the way back through - I didn't even manage a lap - too much traffic and there was a monster headwind. I couldn't get above 20mph so headed home. Think I preferred it in winter when gates are shut and pretty much a free run.