Weekday antisocial rides

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
ITB, I have started this one for you.

In case anyone stuck at work doesn't want to inadvertantly read all about what a lovely time can be had if only they didn't have a job. Though I suppose they could always take a day off....... every Thursday for example :lol:
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    linsen wrote:
    ITB, I have started this one for you.

In case anyone stuck at work doesn't want to inadvertantly read all about what a lovely time can be had if only they didn't have a job. Though I suppose they could always take a day off....... every Thursday for example :lol:

Very kind, so Thursday the weathers looking pretty good, so what do reckon a quick blast around the New Forest :wink:

Must remember to put on some sun block this time :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    :evil:
    :cry:
    :x

:cry:
  • linsen
    Take a duvet day and come join us....... (duvet optional)

:D
  • il_principe
    linsen wrote:
    Take a duvet day and come join us....... (duvet optional)

:D

Only got 1 left until 01/01/2010 so trying to keep it at the mo. Very tempting though!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I hate you all! :evil: :evil: :twisted:

My only comfort is knowing that you all ride too bloody fast to absorb the beauty of your surroundings.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I've just had to drop the blinds in the studio cos the sun's in me eyes. :evil:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I only have 6hours of lectures a week these days, once the deadline for my practical work is reached I'll be able to ride every afternoon :D
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I hate you all (except for DDD) :(:(
  • itboffin
    I find starting around 11:00 is best for me :D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • i work every day but still manage to get out, i don't go out every 3rd day during week, but i am building up my fitness in prep for a huge commute come september. up 20 min 30 max miles at minute, takes quite a while though coz i am on a mtb, was slicked out till tonight as i feel the pull of playing on lee quarry, so i'm going there as it's on my ring circuit. :D:D:D
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I hate you all! :evil: :evil: :twisted:

My only comfort is knowing that you all ride too bloody fast to absorb the beauty of your surroundings.

We had plenty of time to look around when waiting for the back marker ;-) Besides I quite like the look of hedges as they whip past me at 30+mph :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    I hope this weather stays thats all I'm saying. Weekend of Kirroughtee, Glentress and Innerleithen coming up. Friday off work on the use it or lose leave.
  • il_principe
    RyanB wrote:
    I hope this weather stays thats all I'm saying. Weekend of Kirroughtee, Glentress and Innerleithen coming up. Friday off work on the use it or lose leave.

No idea about Scotland but I'm planning a long ride on Sat morning and the weather looks perfect.

Going to be cold again in London next week, especially on weds apparently.
  • itboffin
    I'm doing the Highclere again this weekend if anyone's interested but be warned I'm going the other way around, up hill all the way :twisted:

On this 49144e23ee8e42cf8d21c305c314e16b.jpg
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    My favourite rides are the ones on a day off from work, when it involves getting a train out to somewhere which is otherwise full of people going to work. Oh, to see their sad, glum faces :twisted: :lol:
  • itboffin
    52 miles, 3 counties, 35+ villages in one ride :wink:

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=5368
  • itboffin
    Well that didn't go as planned, I took a wrong turning after 8-10 miles and from there on in it all went a little pear shaped, still a good ride apart from my own foolish lack of planning.

Things not to do before and during a ride.

Skip or small breakfast
    Only take 1 bottle of water for a 52 mile ride
    Pick a route with NO shops, 3 pubs all closed!!!, several post offices all closed!!!!!!

I had to do a 6 mile detour for food & water which after 35 miles was too little too late, the remaining 12 miles home was up hill & into a mother of a headwind with added strong gusts +

Very tiring & cold :? :(
  • Throlkim
    Throlkim Posts: 94
    Got a bit lost myself today. Ended up in a part of Cardiff where my only options back out were dual carriageways. Eventually found the bloody path; I was trying to get to the port entrance - it looked scenic!

Anyway, I'm also gloating:
      Just handed in 2 projects including my dissertation. Only project now starts in 4 weeks. Just got my new bike. Currently going for scenic cycles every day. Going home to Oxfordshire on Thursday. Going to be going for scenic rides there everyday.

I'll make sure to take time to bask in my own smugness :twisted:
  • itboffin
    18mph wind with gusts of 21mph WNW and cold but sunny :( :?

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more......
  • Throlkim
    Seem to have slightly injured my wrist, oddly enough I think it was the shopping rather than cycling. Gonna skip riding today in the hope of it getting better quicker, it's not a lovely day anyway. :D
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Surely you should just skip the shopping? :wink:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Throlkim
    Ah, but then I wouldn't have gotten two double choc chip muffins for 50p!

Wrist or muffins?
    I think I made the right choice. :lol:
  • itboffin
    Well that was an interesting ride, tactically planed to include a tail wind start and finish :D pretty weird to be out of the saddle stomping the pedals on the flat and still only going 10mph :lol:

Other than a couple of near gusty dismounts a pretty decent ride even managed 31 mph on the way home no bad for a 64GI single speed on the flat :D

New PB 8) :lol:
  • itboffin
    64 miles
    Wind, rain & hail
    Plenty of MASSHOOF hills
    Lots of pain

Max speed 45MPH :shock:

Oh an one llama

https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/image.do?ph=n&u=12909&w=793203&i=450024&mediatype=0
  • Throlkim
    I'm feeling pretty pathetic over the trouble I had with 3 miles today. Horrible headwind straight out of the door, wasn't even warmed up before I hit it; and it was in addition to the annoying prolonged slight inclines that Oxfordshire seems to be such a patron of.

And then I got utterly scalped on the way back.

Bugger. :?
  • itboffin
    Seeing as I won't be attending the SCR ride on Sunday I thought i'd tell you all about MY weekend anti social plans, well this sat we have a big family BBQ at the farm house being only 20 miles from my gaff I'll 'ave to go the long and hilly way :)

no doubt a superhuman amount of booze will be consumed ;) thus Sundays recovery ride will be the new forest sportive route with ample time for lunch.

Yes that should do nicely :D
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    WTF is a duvet day?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • linsen
    Stuey01 wrote:
    WTF is a duvet day?
    The clue's in the name.

It's a day. In a duvet.

I'm having a duvet month :D
  • il_principe
    Stuey01 wrote:
    WTF is a duvet day?

Basically it means that twice a year I can ring my office before work and say "I'm taking a Duvet Day" I can then spend the day doing whatever I like - usually this entails recovering from something. They're not allowed to be booked or planned in advance and requests can be refused, but basically they ROCK.

Of course a duvet month would be better...
  • How about a duvet quarter? :P

I have done barely any riding this week, tests on Monday down in So'ton (which I passed, yay) and have been celebrating various things with friends. Week o'hangover.

I'm going back to essex to recuperate. I may ride to the seaside tomorrow.