RP Training Group Ride - 7th/8th March

13»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    OK I'm up and all seems set fair. Now where's my kit , my bike , and which way shall I go to HC or to RP ?

snakehips.jpg

1Tccropthumb.jpg Snakehips Bikes
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Good riding everyone. 80 miles door to door for me :shock:
    Great meeting some new faces. It was a bit of a United Nations meeting with Paragon, Wheelers, Dynamo and Team Rapha :wink: represented.
    Snakehips - early days in the season, you'll be fighting fit soon.
    Some great decents today. 47.1mph clocked :twisted: Box Hill was a bit of a struggle today. Well off my PB despite the banana and fizzy sweets.

PS - some good news from the Fray Bentos for me :D:D:D
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    edited March 2009
    oops double post.. damn Blackberry
    I would have been first but it takes so long to post on a Blackberry so whilst Al finished his port first I reckon I started first!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    Hmm looks like I am the first to make a post - ride post... I made it 63.3 miles door to door and I averaged 17mph at the end of the ride though I must admit that my dehydration had come good by then so I hooned it up the A24 from Epsom.

Anyway 7.34 up box today. Not too bad and I kept it in the big ring all the way (made more pleasant by the lack of mechanical grating as a result of sorting out my front mech finally.

It was nice to meet a few new faces and see a few I hadn't seen for a long time. I don't think I had seen Bernard since November last year. Nice to meet Tom Ryan Chris and Graham. If Emu and Myk-ee had been around it would have been a nice sized group - I don't think I would worry too much until the group reached 20 (which it might well do sometime later this year as the weather gets better!)

I will see about getting round to posting a link to motionbased (poor mans Garmin Connect) later on.

I am not sure when I can get out again on a ride though.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    felgen wrote:
    Hmm looks like I am the first to make a post - ride post...
    Not quite :wink:
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Good to hear all went well.

I seriously spat the dummy this morning. :evil:

I noticed that the steerer was sticking a bit when I first lifted my bike downstairs this morning, and then only made it 100 metres up the road before noticing some god awful creaking coming from the front of my bike.

Decided to take the safe option and return home.

Took the handlebars off, and there was a little bit of grime on the steerer tube. Cleaned it up and the noise has gone away so I think (I hope) it may have just been that. Thought crossed my mind momentarily to chase you all down by heading straight up Portsmouth Rd but was a good hour behind so would have been a real battle as I know phone reception can be a bit dodgy once in the hills.

Will have to give it a short test ride to check it out. Worst thing is I'm golfing tomorrow now and next week I'm out of town so will be a fortnight before I get on the saddle again. :cry:

The long grazed legged one
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    Fantastic to meet everyone today, really enjoyed it (althought no doubt I'll forget names in a flash). Felt reasonably sprightly up box as well so I will have to sort the battery on my HRM and get posting some times. Will be well keen for a rematch 8)
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    I had a great ride today - It was great to meet up with you and meet some new faces. My legs where a little numb when I got home :) It was also a lot warmer than I expected and I was starting to cook in my jacket.

I had a fantastic time descending the hill that took me soo long to get up. Sorry for holding everyone up; i'll keep on working at it and will hopefully be able to keep up soon. . . . well i hope so anyway.

Thanks
    Ryan
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Sorry folks, not a pleasent hangover this morning. I did make it out of bed and into the shower but then everything went wrong so went back to bed... :cry:

Sounds like you had a great ride though.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    cc10 - shame to hear about your knee! Hope you recover well and soon, and if you ever want company for Richmond Park laps I tend to head out for a few gentle laps of a Tues & Thurs evening if it's not pouring with rain as well as doing these rides so feel free to drop me a line 8)

Tom & Graham - good to meet you both and ride with you today! Tom (Petromyzon) shocked me with the speed he came past on Boxhill, but that's all good! And Graham (Snakehips) was going really well until he decided to peel off. Hope we didn't put you off coming out again Graham and please do come along again in future!

Ryan - good work today buddy, making it further and further each time! Great to see, and one day we'll get you to the top of Boxhill! :wink: 8)

Bern - hope you're ok mate? Was really worried about you at the top of Leith Hill, but you looked to recover well and lasted the distance so well done for that.

Myk-ee - your PM this morning cracked me up!! All of 4 or 5 words and each one spelled wrong said everything I needed to know about the enormity of your hangover buddy! Good work! :wink::lol:

Wilf - shame you didn't make it today buddy, but I'd of done the same in your situation. Missed a good one :(

As for me - I loved it today! Had a great ride. Cheers chaps! :P 8) :D

Anyone who wants to ride tomorrow give me a shout - looking like rain might set in around midday so despite my desire to make it a 200k weekend I might keep it fairly short... unless anyone is up for the KW run? Keep me posted, and bell / text me on 07590 665495 in case I don't check back on here 8)
  • Rich-Ti
    The Prologue run could be another option for tomorrow if that suits anyone? Just popped in to buy a new gilet as my Solo one felt like it was hanging off me today - looks like it might be Bruce running it so the pace could be a little more bearable than if it was 'Mechanic Tom' heading it up!

9am from Prologue on the Upper Richmond Road, a mile or so outside Sheen Gate @ the park 8)
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    Hey guys thanks for a great ride, really enjoyed it.

Rich, I'm gonna hit the hills again tommorow on my own, if you want to join. I don't think I'm gonna be up early enough though to go on the KW run (gonna have a lie in instead). I don't care if I get rained on, I'm just not getting up early!!!

Anyways thanks to all for riding, hope you all got back okay. :D
  • Rich-Ti
    chrisw28 wrote:
    Rich, I'm gonna hit the hills again tommorow on my own, if you want to join. I don't think I'm gonna be up early enough though to go on the KW run (gonna have a lie in instead). I don't care if I get rained on, I'm just not getting up early!!!
    That could work for me, although I may well end up on the Prologue run now as they head out at the same time as KW but are spitting distance from my place! What sort of time were you thinking?
  • chrisw28
    10:30-11 ish, but that's maybe a little late for you?

Any other takers for a ride tommorow? :D
  • Rich-Ti
    chrisw28 wrote:
    10:30-11 ish, but that's maybe a little late for you?
    Might be a bit late - will see how I feel in the morning though. If you don't hear from me by text before 10ish then assume I'm either not bothering or have gone with Prologue 8)
  • chrisw28
    Okey doke, if you go with prologue, enjoy!
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Snakehips - early days in the season, you'll be fighting fit soon.
    Thanks Art , a very sympathetic interpretation of my performance.

Great to meet you guys. As I told some of you , this was my first ever 'club' type run. It won't be the last. Hope nobody got a pain in the neck looking round to see where I was.
    After I left you I rolled back home at a slightly more comfortable pace and eventually clocked up 40 miles.

I'll be back (as the man said)

snakehips.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • Rich-Ti
    snakehips wrote:
    Great to meet you guys. As I told some of you , this was my first ever 'club' type run. It won't be the last. Hope nobody got a pain in the neck looking round to see where I was.
    After I left you I rolled back home at a slightly more comfortable pace and eventually clocked up 40 miles.

Great to meet you too, and as we've always said nobody gets dropped so we don't mind hanging back.

Hopefully see you again 8)
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    snakehips wrote:

Great to meet you too, and as we've always said nobody gets dropped so we don't mind
    Ditto, Snakey - see you soon I hope!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    i' m getting withdrawal symptoms :wink: not joining you :wink: and still got another 3 weeks to wait,SATURDAY MARCH 28th(hint hint :D ) to be precise i will make my grand debut :shock:,and can then chat all things Fray Bentos :wink:

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • Rich-Ti
    Another 77k for me today so a 183k weekend all told 8)

Today's average speed was 28kph too - well pleased with that as despite being on the flat (I did an out-and-back to Windsor) I had the wind in my face all the way there, and it was gusty enough to slow me to a crawl on occasion! :shock:

I'm tired and achy now, but safe in the knowledge that I've made up for only 1hr of riding last weekend! :lol:
  • chrisw28
    Well done Rich, it was certainly very windy out there today. Can you guess what I did today?

Yep, nothing :oops:

Laziness got the better of me, oh well. I was hoping to start riding more during the weekends since its the only time I get a decent ride at all but it looks like I'm already slipping backwards :oops: I'll try harder next weekend.
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Hey guys

Sounds like some good riding went on this weekend. The SWRC sportive was good fun, if gusting crosswinds and so many killer hills I lost count can be called fun!! :shock:

Clocked 3h48m (my GPS timing, race time said 3h50m but was crowded to get stamped) for the 62m, so pretty pleased given the toughness of the conditions and the fact that a good 30-35 of those miles were alone.

Good event, decent organisation, signing, etc. They run one in May (two distances): I'll probably have a crack at the longer one if I'm around that weekend. Anyone else fancy it?

Hope to join up with you all in the next week or two - sounds like the numbers are swelling!

Charlie
  • Rich-Ti
    Nice one Homercles - sounds like a good event.

I already have one sportive a month planned starting with the Burgess Hill Springtime Classic this coming Sunday. The next 2 are both in the Lakes with the one in May being the Fred Whitton so I'm afraid I'll have to pass on your kind invite! :roll: :lol:

Will get a thread for this weekend started soon chaps 8)
  • chrisw28
    Does that mean you won't be riding this weekend then, Rich, in order to save your legs for sunday?
  • Rich-Ti
    chrisw28 wrote:
    Does that mean you won't be riding this weekend then, Rich, in order to save your legs for sunday?
    Yup - heading back home to Worthing on Fri afternoon mate.

New thread here for this coming weekend 8)