Filtering

13»

Comments

• don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Does anyone have any opinions on which filters are best for my coffee machine?

secretly hoping the thread doesn't descend into a DDD baiting session again

:wink:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    don_don wrote:
    Does anyone have any opinions on which filters are best for my coffee machine?

secretly hoping the thread doesn't descend into a DDD baiting session again

:wink:

Get a better coffee machine... filters are for the weak
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Look, nowhere did I suggest you should be walking, or cycling at walking pace, or filtering down the right where it's 'life threatening'. My point is you shouldn't ever be going faster than you were in the rain because these incidents/accidents will invariably happen in cities with stationary traffic and lots of pedestrians.

It's unfortunate you knocked someone over, I'm sure next time they will pay more attention. Sooner or later there will be another person who doesn't however, and being hit by 15 stone of cyclist going twice as fast is a rather harsh punishment for a minor lapse of concentration. Chances are you could do yourself a fair bit of damage too, but I'm sure you'll be comforted by the reassurance that it wasn't your fault.

OK, enough, lets just agree to disagree. But for clarification, I wouldn't be going twice as fast down that stretch of road before or after the incident. Lets say I was going 10mph, 14mph is a difference in terms of impact.

Since the incident I have become more aware.

Lets agree to disagree. If we are ever at the Mopeth at the same time, I'll buy you a beer I hope you accept... a peace offering if you will.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    He's a right mean fecker... I'd watch yourself DDD

:lol: damnit couldn't even post with a straight face
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Wow, have I really argued someone into buying me a beer just to get me to shut up? Must try this more often!

Who wants some? :twisted:
  • DDD You win

I just can't be bothered to argue with you as you're never wrong.

DD
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Oh I forgot,

Melita obviously on the filters
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • DonDaddyD
    DDD You win

I just can't be bothered to argue with you as you're never wrong.

DD

Whatever dude. Your typing as though I have to agree with you, I don't. When I think I'm in the wrong I'll admit to it - I crashed my car yesterday I admitted to being at fault. In this instance I don't think I was overly in the wrong. You're entitled to your opinion I'm entitled to mine.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I crashed my car yesterday

Forum assumption mode - on

You obviously should have been driving slower :lol::lol:

Forum assumption mode - off

That sucks you ok? I dread bumpin my car it's money I cant spend on bike stuff :evil:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    Prawny it DOES suck and it wasn't so much to do with speed as it was to do with being forced into evasive action and ending up pranging a parked car. -

Almost immediately aftwards I thought what if I had been riding my bike... :? Then I thought I should have just ridden my fecking bike :wink: Then I thought I want a new bike and the World felt alright again..... :D
    Food Chain number = 4

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I was joking about the speed, I was palying the part of forum moaner :oops:

Mmm new bike, I want a new bike, the wife says no boooooo! :(
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Well, very near miss this morning. Cycling down Bedford Road towards Clapham North. Filtering on the right, plenty of room, low speed (around 12mph). Stupid witch turns right straight in front of me (she was indicating but 99% certain indicator went on as she turned). Slammed on the brakes and almost went over the bars, managed to land on my feet with bike flying up behind me. Said witch drove off on her merry way - no way she could have known that I was unhurt. The scooter behind me (who also had to slam on brakes) couldn't believe she hadn't stopped. Chain came off in incident so I had to push bike from middle of road, nice touch the number of cyclists who weaved around me rather than stopping to let me get to the pavement tsssk.

So, filtering on the right or left is equally unsafe when muppets like that around, as is cycling generally. I'm coming back round to thinking that its kill or be killed and two wheel anarchy should prevail.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    edited March 2009
    Sorry I've come to this thread a bit late. Like a lot of others have said, I will try and overtake rather than undertake. I personally feel safer doing so, but you do need to be confident in doing so. I've never had a problem with rejoining the traffic and if someone doesn't let me in I'm happy to stay in the middle of the road until someone does.

I posted this on youtube last week with regard to the undertaking/overtaking issue. Watch the car 27 seconds in. No indication that he's going to "dive"for the space. What are the bets he would have pleaded SMIDSY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nNKfwMo110

**edit** I just noticed that the car 27 seconds does indeed indicate. Who's being observant now!?!??! :oops:
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It is a bit naughty to overtake within the zebra zig-zags.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    alfablue wrote:
    It is a bit naughty to overtake within the zebra zig-zags.

Yeah I know, TBH I sometimes go around the traffic islands on the wrong side which is probably more than naughty!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Sorry, couldn't help myself. Not too serious on a bike, I have probably done it, though I wouldn't now, having become an OCD stickler for the rules as I have got older (aka grumpy old man). Undermines criticism of others though.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    FWIW, I prefer to overtake rather than undertake too.

someone said this:
    The probablity of being left or right hooked is the same. IMO there is no definitive 'safer side' to filter down. Getting left or right hooked is dependant on whether the driver indicates in good time and checks his blind spot before moving.

I think the first line is wrong because the third line is right!

Motorists look in the driver's side mirror more than the nearside mirror. They often turn left or pull into a kerb without looking or indicating, They rarely turn right across the opposite lane without looking. IME they spend much more time worrying about hitting other cars and trucks (which don't go up the inside!) and little time worrying about cyclists (who aren't going to get them killed).

On top of this you add car doorings, and pedestrians and I think, generally more space in the middle (cars keep some distance from the kerb and the centre line, at the centre you enjoy two drivers' spaces) although it does depend on the specific road.

When I'm filtering I am always looking for risks of right hooks (is there a right turn coming up? is the car changing road position? What can I see of the drover in his mirrors? etc etc).
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    jedster wrote:
    .... is the car changing road position? What can I see of the drover in his mirrors? etc etc).

It's not so much the drover you need to be careful of, or even his cattle... it's their dogs that you have to watch out for.... :-)

Cheers,
    W.