MONDAY 2nd - who'se still commuting

12346»

Comments

• Up here in Leicestershire the trains were barely affected so I cycled in yesterday (part of my journey is on the train between Leic and Loughborough). Great fun, and I'm glad to say that car drivers were behaving very well, everyone was driving extremely cautiously. The only problem was coming home in heavy snow, I had to take it slowly as the flakes were hitting my eyes.

By the time I got back to Leicester the snow had eased off a bit and the main hazard was the packs of marauding school kids armed to the teeth with snowballs.

Working from home today though.
  • Thanks, Coriander. That's what I thought - last night it all seemed fine but a freezing night might make it a bit like an ice rink out there.

(And my neighbour has suddenly found out that, despite all my cynicism, a 4WD does have some uses in London after all! :lol: )
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • wwwwwwooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooo :D:D

well we definately have the snow now and what a fun commute it was,, jumped on the mountain bike and in a I came, the roads around Clifton were ungritted which was fun, but when I found the main road it was only snowy in the gutter…so had to cycle on the pavement (I know very naughtyl but could not help myself) where there was loooads of snow,and nobody else had been in it, ah the joys of winter, hope there is still some there on the way home:)

I can now justify to work peoples why I have more than one bike...would never have come in on the others :):)

Didn';t see many others around this morning, infact 2 people and that was within slipping distance of my house.
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Why have snowmen started gaining an extra lump? That's about the third one I've seen now which isn't along the traditional '2 large snowballs on top of each other' lines.
    Evolving into snow insects perhaps? Head, abdomen, thorax?

They are evolving! I for one welcome our new snowman overlords.........

Mine personally ended up being a 3-baller and I misjudged how far I'd rolled the base and it was HUGE before I got back outside our house. It would have looked silly with such a big body and a small head (think like John Prescott......) so I rolled another ball about half the distance and then plonked the head on top!

It also allows for a taller snowman which of course is key to out doing the neighbours :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Really bad in Leicestershire this morning - much worse than yesterday. Frozen slush 80% of the way on my route - slippy, sharp, and rock hard.

All the car drivers I saw were taking it nice and easy.

Come on weather - either warm up or snow! I don't like this indecision!
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Had a touch of snow late last night, maybe half an inch. Then the ol' Belfast Rain started ... and is still going. Sometimes it's like England is a foreign country.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • neil² wrote:
    Really bad in Leicestershire this morning - much worse than yesterday. Frozen slush 80% of the way on my route - slippy, sharp, and rock hard.

All the car drivers I saw were taking it nice and easy.

Come on weather - either warm up or snow! I don't like this indecision!

What was your route?

I bottled it from Countesthorpe to the city and got the bus; right decision?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I was miserable last night at the prospect of getting the bus this morning - as fun as it was yesterday, the drivers who apparently hadn't noticed it was icy made it rather un-fun.

So, imagine my delight this morning when I looked out, and apart from frozen slush in the gutters and icy pavements, the roads were clear! No bus for me! Although I had to get off and walk up the pavement for about half a mile because the woefully over-capacity junction about halfway in was full of roadworks, and the traffic was at a standstill for a good mile or so.
  • I know the pain; actually the bus wasn't too bad this morning but the lack of exercise will leave me feeling guilty all day :?

On the plus side I did get to read my book in relative peace :D
  • Bit treachourous this morning especially when i got to Oldham town centre which resembled a skating rink. There were a few occasions when i unclipped just in case :?
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • iain_j
    It's just occurred to me - if I had got the bus today, I would have been stuck in that very same traffic jam for god knows how long, watching cyclists walk past. And I would have paid a lot for the priviledge too. I like cycling :D
  • I did feel like that when I saw people riding.

BUT a couple of days on the bus versus a couple of weeks if I slide off (possibly) is the way I measured it up.

Guess it's the turbo again tonight - HOORAY :D:D:D
  • Missed this thread yesterday (it was my day off, looking after the toddler, so we were up the park and the woods with the MTB and the Chariot trailer ... great fun!)

Was a bit anxious about the commute this morning ... took the MTB which was comfy, fun, more predictable than the road bike ... but so SLOW ... 1 hour instead of 40-45 mins!!

Drivers behaved ... apart from the overturned Ford Ka which must have happened just minutes before I reached the same road space :shock:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Made it in on the MTB this morning. Took 1.5 hours though. The roads around the house were a bit tricky, but otherwise they were ok and reasonably clear of traffic. Richmond Park was just ace - see below. It was (obviously) closed to traffic, which made the experience all the better :D

3250414112_9f47915d9b_m.jpg

3250413794_dbbbab52ae_m.jpg

3250413608_d83f87dc95_m.jpg

3250413416_a15cd622f0_m.jpg

3249584859_ec50a21257_m.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    cjcp wrote:
    Made it in on the MTB this morning. Took 1.5 hours though. The roads around the house were a bit tricky, but otherwise they were ok and reasonably clear of traffic. Richmond Park was just ace - see below. It was (obviously) closed to traffic, which made the experience all the better :D

3250414112_9f47915d9b_m.jpg

3250413794_dbbbab52ae_m.jpg

3250413608_d83f87dc95_m.jpg

3250413416_a15cd622f0_m.jpg

3249584859_ec50a21257_m.jpg

That is stunning CJ, I am very jealous......I just saw brown slush and cars! :-(
  • cjcp
    This is the highlilght of my daily commute. If it makes you feel any better, I had to put up with cars and slush for the other 11 or so miles.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stunning pics CJ! It looks lovely...
  • iain_j
    Lovely pics CJ. I live on the edge of a smallish park and it was lovely going past last night seeing all the kids and just as many grown-ups out enjoying the snow, building snowmen and having snowball fights. Would have gone to join them but I seem to have developed bad circulation in my hands, and even with thick gloves on my hands go painfully numb after a few minutes in the cold :(
  • cjcp
    Cheers. It's truly luverly. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    iain_j wrote:
    Lovely pics CJ. I live on the edge of a smallish park and it was lovely going past last night seeing all the kids and just as many grown-ups out enjoying the snow, building snowmen and having snowball fights. Would have gone to join them but I seem to have developed bad circulation in my hands, and even with thick gloves on my hands go painfully numb after a few minutes in the cold :(

Not nice. :( Ask the doc if he has any thoughts.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Saw this image on the BBC. Someone MTFU and made the effort!
    _45439857_006562912-1.jpg
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7867264.stm
    Today is a good day to ride
  • marksteven wrote:
    did my usual 12 mile commute not much snow about canterbury , great going past the 1 1/2 mile Q except 4 the bloke who did a uee without looking . rained on way home 2 moz might be tricky if it ices like they say wish my mtb wasn't broke
    hello mate, im the bloke with the silver marin , seen u a few times through chislet, i ride herne bay to hersden most days ,
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    'Twas darn cold this morning coming home; rear mech had frozen (I hope) leaving me to ride on the big/middle rings. Then when I got home I found my back brake had frozen too (good thing I didn't need it!).
  • cjcp
    marchant wrote:
    'Twas darn cold this morning coming home; rear mech had frozen (I hope) leaving me to ride on the big/middle rings. Then when I got home I found my back brake had frozen too (good thing I didn't need it!).

Where on earth do you live?! :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Essex :o A few hours in a warm house sorted 'em out. My locks had frozen a bit too!