MONDAY 2nd - who'se still commuting

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Bus not working, didn't bother looking at the train, my kids want to go sledging, it looks very doubtful for schools, and I have a few day's holiday...

Mmm... What to do?

Kinder Scout was great yesterday, as all the peat had frozen. I did see several people in jeans though, which could have been fun in the walk back as the weather was closing in.
  • My MTB has 1" slick commuting tyres on it, however I have a spare 26" front wheel with a knobbly tyre on it. So braking and steering will be better, but my driving tyre will still be the 1"?? Should I risk it? All buses and tubes in my area are cancelled so cycling is the only way.
  • Wow just woken up to a proper winter wonderland scene here in Blackheath :) Haven't seen this much snow since I was a young'un in the early 80's.
    Don't think I'll be biking it, due to most car drivers not knowing how to drive in this weather.
  • ok, I don't think I'm cycling to work today - or indeed getting there by any other means! I really thought we'd get away with it in Southampton - it NEVER snows here! Think this calls for a day off with bin bags on the nearest hill!
  • I bottled it and drove :(
  • helz
    helz Posts: 406
    Last night I was convinced I'd cycle in, but looking outside now and watching the news it just seems too dangerous. I've only got to go from South Bermondsey to the City but I don't think it's work the risk. So now I have to walk!
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • Chickened out :( but in my defence I have my laptop with me and I don't want to have an off due to the conditions and wreck it
  • enjoyed my snowy 7 mile commute through saddleworth to stalybridge station on my MTB this morning.
    Some untreated roads and an encounter with a snow plough was Great fun. Was a bit hard work as its my first day back on the bike after a horrible flu like virus that has laid me out for three weeks however and my MTB is sooo heavy relative to my scott hybrid.

Take care out there and have fun
    FCN 8

Scott Speedster S30 FB hybrid
  • Just a quick update, having been out for a look around. Snow in Croydon is about 7" deep with ICE underneath! It would be suicide to try riding in this!!!
    Still waiting to here back from my manager as the trains are disrupted/cancelled and my dad has tried to get in from East Croydon and station staff are telling people not to travel as they can't guarantee an outbound journey this evening :shock:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    dazzawazza wrote:
    My MTB has 1" slick commuting tyres on it, however I have a spare 26" front wheel with a knobbly tyre on it. So braking and steering will be better, but my driving tyre will still be the 1"?? Should I risk it? All buses and tubes in my area are cancelled so cycling is the only way.

Do you have two tennis rackets you can attach to your feet? Seriously, I wouldn't bother. The British don't know how to drive in the snow, so don't put yourself at their mercy.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    got about 30cm here... I'm staying home...awesome

wish I had a moutain bike right now
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    cjcp wrote:
    Do you have two tennis rackets you can attach to your feet? Seriously, I wouldn't bother. The British don't know how to drive in the snow, so don't put yourself at their mercy.
    Agreed; to many drivers don't seem to understand ice unless it's tinkling in a glass with a drink :wink:
  • quite frightening the number of cars whose drivers have not only scraped just a one foot square patch of windscreen directly in front of the wheel, but have neglected to scrape their lights or roofs too. Idiots.
  • cjcp
    quite frightening the number of cars whose drivers have not only scraped just a one foot square patch of windscreen directly in front of the wheel, but have neglected to scrape their lights or roofs too. Idiots.

Yep - some folks in my road have just given up moving the car. I would have thought the conditions speak for themselves, but... :roll:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    Just been staring out the window from my little flat in London, I saw 2 guys on MTBs and an absolute nutter on a single speed/fixie with skinny tyres and clip-in shoes...man...that guy has got to be a real messenger!
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    I was thinking of trying it on the MTB but I think that I will cancel meetings and go play instead :lol:
  • After covering 240kms on the road this weekend, today was supposed to be my rest day... But after looking outside this morning, I couldn't resist getting my MTB out and had SO much fun on the way to work.

(Office is still empty... may get to leave early too... :D )
  • If it carries on like this, we'll be shutting the office early. Time for a big expedition in the hills with a thermos full of hot port :)
  • i have no idea why i'm actually happy to be in work on a Monday morning..but anyway...

woohoo...i made it in!
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • Thought about riding from SW London. Opted for the Quattro option instead. Glad I did. There are a few cyclists out, all of whom look like Bambi on Ice.

What's annoying is all the 4WD drivers who don't realize that they really can go faster than 15mph. If the traffic got out of my way, I could have a ball. As it is, I haven't even had the traction control light come on yet.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    "Yet"? Typing and driving, eh? :wink:

Are you bonkers? You just want to unleash The Inner Clarkson, don't you? :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    An interesting journey this morning, a rear wheel drive automatic makes for interesting driving in these conditions.

Saw a few hardy souls on bikes, one roadie stopped on Blackheath, with that expression of why did I ever start this, and one MTB'er in shorts :shock: looked like he was having a ball though

Given the state of the roads in my area, the road bikes staying in the shed until the roads are cleared, riding with 23 slicks on compacted snow isn't my idea of fun
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    I cycled into work last night and was told by smug colleagues that I was stark raving mad. This morning I cycled home and the only trouble I had was from mentally confused drivers - so in that sense it was just like any other day. My 10 mile ride took me a few minutes longer than usual and I got sprayed with slush more than i would have liked. If I had used public transport I would have ended up walking home. If i had used the car it would have taken me about the same time as cycling.

I think most cyclists must have chickened out of riding this morning as I only saw one other guy riding.

My ony concession to the snow was to use ordinary pedals so I could wear stout waterproof walking boots. Then If I needed to I knew I could get off and walk without worrying.

Between 7:00 & 8:00 am it was not too bad & I reckon that if most of your commute is on reasonably well used roads you'll be OK - but use a bit more care than usual on all roads
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Fecking hard going, but it was worth it on the single speed - nearly took mountain bike this morning.

I see no reason to stop commuting, even in the snow - at least it is a soft landing when you bin it!
  • I knew my college was gonna be closed, and my mum tried her best to keep me off the bike, but I cycled the 4-5 miles on my MTB anyway. Slippery, cold, but an experience that I probably won't have again until next year, if that. Awesome.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Thought about riding from SW London. Opted for the Quattro option instead. Glad I did. There are a few cyclists out, all of whom look like Bambi on Ice.

What's annoying is all the 4WD drivers who don't realize that they really can go faster than 15mph. If the traffic got out of my way, I could have a ball. As it is, I haven't even had the traction control light come on yet.

Just so you know - 4 wheel drive doesn't help you stop. I wouldn't want you to miss the point or anything.
  • Thought about MTB but it looked treacherous, and really had enough show yesterday at the HOTA. Plenty of people fell off yesterday and the roads look even worse this morning. No bus train or tube in action from here, so working from home it is.... Kids have just gone to the park with sleds, so making the most of the tranquility while it lasts.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Greg66 wrote:
    Thought about riding from SW London. Opted for the Quattro option instead. Glad I did. There are a few cyclists out, all of whom look like Bambi on Ice.

Just so you know - 4 wheel drive doesn't help you stop. I wouldn't want you to miss the point or anything.

+1 very true! Apparently the Quattro system can handle over 1000bhp....... :?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Just emailed the boss who had sent an email round saying "try and make it if you can, grrr" and said nuh-huh. Disadvantage is I don't know how to get to the girlfriend's either!
  • Had a call from my manager about 9:20 asking what it was like...........he hadn't even ventured outside yet!! Been told to sit tight until i hear from him as all the site based guys can't get in!

Already built an impressive snowman outside the house with my 4 little helpers :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5