RP Training Group Ride - Sat 10th/Sun 11th

Comments

• Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    London-Red wrote:
    Oh, and the luck rubbed off on me too - managed to get lost on the way back and almost ended up on the M25 at Leatherhead...
    :lol: The unluckiest ride we've done - and Bernard wasn't even with us :P

I think we only did 50ish miles from Richmond. Spent about 3 hours not moving with 3 punctures. Fair bit of time enjoying Wilf's swim as well :lol:
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    What's the form lads - shall we start a Box Hill Challenge 2009 thread or just continue the existing one?
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Swimming? What's all that about then - did he come off? After my little detour on the way back i managed to clock almost 40 miles. Not the most pleasant ride, sharing the road with chessington garden centre and world of adventure traffic though ;-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    phips wrote:
    So here's the stats ...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1771245

78km - about 48 old monies.

Usually we'd do about 90km and take in Leith Hill too. But since we spent most of today running our own maintenance classes at the side of the road we opted to miss that bit out and go straight for the cake. I mean, Box Hill Challenge.

thanks for that.

Think i will need quite a lot more hill training before attempting that :shock:

with all your punctures and swimming it sounds like you lot should all be avoided LOL :D
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    phips wrote:
    Fair bit of time enjoying Wilf's swim as well :lol:

I got a picture of him as he went over...

457382a31de4f-16-2.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: Cheeky bugger. :lol::lol::lol:

Here's some real photo's - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1929285&id=685493435#/album.php?aid=82628&id=685493435&ref=mf

The long grazed legged one
  • The emu
    phips wrote:
    The emu wrote:

:-D Sorry, couldn't resist! In all fairness I was dead impressed with your incredibly British stiff upper lip for the rest of the ride.

How's the knee now it's cleaned up? It looked like you'd been savaged by rabid dogs when we stopped at the BH cafe!

Ah, facebook. Booger. I don't have an account; and I have a steadfast stance on facebook accounts - I refuse to join ;-) Haven't got an account flickr or somewhere like that for the fotos have you?

I made this album public so you should be able to see it...?

• voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Sounds like you guys had a bundle of fun. I must get out with you guys again sometime at easter when I'm back from Uni. In the meantime, I'm racking up the hills on my rides in hilly hilly Wales...am starting to actually enjoy the hills :lol:
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • The emu
    phips wrote:
    The emu wrote:
    I made this album public so you should be able to see it...?

It just says, for me, "You must log in to see this page."

Sorry forget my last, try this instead - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8 ... =685493435

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    It was a good ride today, apart from the multiple puncture stops, but I suppose it has to happen sometime by the law of averages. Glad your wheel didn't fall out Rich, that would have been the worst mishap by far.

Anyway I rode 58 miles door to door, which showed I managed some major hooning at the beginning of the ride and also at the end. By the end of the ride I guess I was a little frustrated and it had taken me ages to get my legs going which only came on song after we had left Box Hill and got warmed up again - hence my Major hooning on the way back. My average speed rose by 1.6mph in the leg back from Box Hill so we must have been motoring!

Oh and WIlf, Kerrie said eugh! when she saw your knee picture - it looks just a graze so will be fine. It was great you took it with such humour!

Oh well, back to the grind tomorrow. Hopefully better conditions next week.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • funkin
    funkin Posts: 29
    With all those puncture stops I think I could have kept up with you all!

Great photos - I was tempted to go out on the bike earlier but went for a run instead.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    It does get very icy in the sticks.

Not often i'm glad i cycle in London.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    phips wrote:
    A great bit of rouleuring on the way back into town too, sitting on the felgentrain at nearing 50km/h
    Wish I'd of had the legs to sit in on that but I think I cooked myself trying to keep pace with Mark at the start and after Boxhill :oops: :lol:
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Hey Wilf - awesome photo's, hope you're not too sore this morning.

Importantly is the bike okay?
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • felgen
    Damn,

I can't look at Farcebook at work as I wanted to show someone the photos - damn IP filtering. Why can't I do a job where you aren't expected to do much or you actually are in charge of who can look at what- like IT maybe :D

Any chance the photos can be posted in the thread instead?

I am feeling a little naughty as I didnt get round to cleaning the bike yesterday - however I will be in a baby wipe frenzy this evening - theres something very nice about a super clean bike.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Myk-ee
    felgen wrote:
    Damn,

I can't look at Farcebook at work as I wanted to show someone the photos - damn IP filtering. Why can't I do a job where you aren't expected to do much or you actually are in charge of who can look at what- like IT maybe :D

I am feeling a little naughty as I didnt get round to cleaning the bike yesterday - however I will be in a baby wipe frenzy this evening - theres something very nice about a super clean bike.

More importantly you can access this forum... :D
  • felgen
    Myk-ee wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Damn,

Thats true, thank the Lord for small mercies - also, clinic is slow this morning and I just happen to be sitting in front of the computer :D

Myk-ee are we going to see you sometime soon? Our group is not colourful enough without you, plus we need your Rouleuring skills :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Myk-ee
    felgen wrote:
    Myk-ee wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Damn,

Thats true, thank the Lord for small mercies - also, clinic is slow this morning and I just happen to be sitting in front of the computer :D

Myk-ee are we going to see you sometime soon? Our group is not colourful enough without you, plus we need your Rouleuring skills :D

You should see me again soon, gotta get those miles into my legs sometime.. :?

Bad jet lag headache kept me in bed for most of the day. Did 2 slow laps of RP in the afternoon yesterday which took its toll. Will get myself sorted for next week hopefully, but don't want to commit then bail at the last minute. Perhaps a beer might help :shock:
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:
    Quickest Tube Replacement- Mark was that you?
    Slowest Tube Replacement - Hmmmm, think Felgen and I tie with that one :lol:
    Most Agressive Rider - Felgen
    KOM - ?

Thanks Art for the cuppa too.

KOM - Al by 5 seconds 7.19 vs my 7.24
    Sorry - I dont have much tube changing practice - and those Rodi wheels of mine have a pretty tight rim to get the tyre over, notwithstanding the cold temperature.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Myk-ee wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Myk-ee wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Damn,

You should see me again soon, gotta get those miles into my legs sometime.. :?

Bad jet lag headache kept me in bed for most of the day. Did 2 slow laps of RP in the afternoon yesterday which took its toll. Will get myself sorted for next week hopefully, but don't want to commit then bail at the last minute. Perhaps a beer might help :shock:

just go...

you will probably get massacred but so what..

the longer you leave it the earlier your going to be drifting off the back spewing up...

even if you get completly blasted off the back and end up riding alone (or make the others wait) ...just go

ride ride ride

ride those hill backwards and forwards mile after mile after mile untill you eat them for breakfast as a warm up.... you can sense the strength in your body building until your chainwheel cuts through the countryside like a chainsaw through chipboard....

ride ride ride ride ride..... and when you have done riding

ride some more
  • Myk-ee
    I've just gone and had a word with myself :roll:
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    phips wrote:
    Changing tyres yesterday was hideous. I swore a lot at mine :)
    And even farted at them if I recall rightly?! :shock: :lol:
  • felgen
    Exertional farting I presume - surely that confirms his efforts to change a tyre in record time. Did you exertionally pass flatus whilst riding as well on the way back? :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    phips wrote:
    :-) You would've enjoyed it today David, *plenty* of chances to stop and catch your breath :oops:
    ...and have a laugh at my expense :oops: :lol:
    Myk-ee wrote:
    Hey Wilf - awesome photo's, hope you're not too sore this morning.

Importantly is the bike okay?
    Cheers Mykee, yeah I'm ok, although I was a bit shell shocked afterwards and nervous on the descents and trying to keep up with the Felgenators when they were fanging it around the wet roundabouts on the way home.

Cleaned the bike tonight. Even though I bought some baby wipes to expirement I'm just not sold on them as an alternative to simply plonking the Izoard in the bath and giving it a hot 5 minute shower. :lol:

Result - not a single scratch on it and all gears functional after a bit of agricultural mechanical work. 8)

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sorry to hi-jack this thread all, but it's a follow up on Emu's post over in Commuting (Weekend Social Rides) last week.

I'm hopefully meeting up with JonGinge on Sunday afternoon at 1pm for 5-6 laps of RP with a deviation perhaps into Richmond and up Nightingale Lane if anyone's interested.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."