RP Training Group Ride - Sat 10th/Sun 11th

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Right guys, as ever - take your pick and let's get this weekend's show on the road!

I'm planning to race at Hillingdon on Sat and have arranged to join the Prologue ride on Sunday with someone I've been meaning to ride with for a while so I might not be out, unless you guys want to join the Prologue run with me too (I'll put it up as a poll option).

Newbies are more than welcome, and I'm sure any bail-out routes could be considered for those not wanting to pound lots of miles 8)

Who's in? :shock:

Comments

• chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    I'm in, didn't make it out today like a lot of people, had ice out on the road infront of my house so I just left it.

Weather permitting (again) next week I'll join you, depends sort of on my studies though as it's exam period for me at the moment :cry:
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Right guys, as ever - take your pick and let's get this weekend's show on the road!

I'm planning to race at Hillingdon on Sat and have arranged to join the Prologue ride on Sunday with someone I've been meaning to ride with for a while so I might not be out, unless you guys want to join the Prologue run with me too (I'll put it up as a poll option).

Newbies are more than welcome, and I'm sure any bail-out routes could be considered for those not wanting to pound lots of miles 8)

Who's in? :shock:

I'm always keen. What is the prologue ride Rich?

The long grazed legged one
  • Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    What is the prologue ride Rich?
    I've not done it before, but it's 9am from the Prologue shop in East Sheen (turn left if you're coming from Mortlake station towards RP, on the Upper Richmond Road). I'm told their rides vary from 70-100k, and can be quite quick if Tom their mechanic is riding as he's a Polish ex-Pro :shock:

Been meaning to join someone for a ride for a while and it looks like he's doing that so I've said I'll go along.
  • The emu
    So let me get this right, your organising a bike ride that you won't be attending? :shock: :lol:

I'm keen on doing the usual surrey run or something close to it, only because I want to time my climb up Box Hill and try and get under 7 minutes (my new hill climbing yard stick).

No where near it at the moment, but getting closer every run.

• Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    So let me get this right, your organising a bike ride that you won't be attending? :shock: :lol:

I'm keen on doing the usual surrey run or something close to it, only because I want to time my climb up Box Hill and try and get under 7 minutes (my new hill climbing yard stick).

No where near it at the moment, but getting closer every run.
    I feel it's my duty! In fact it might happen for the next couple of weeks cos I fancy doing a Wheelers run, and possibly a Dynamo run to :shock: :roll:

I fancy hitting that 7min mark to - climbing is my weak spot (well, my biggest anyway) so I need to get it sorted if I'm going to have any chance on the Fred / Dave / Devil etc! :shock:
    :lol:
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Holy moly! If you guys are after 7 minutes I will have you both hanging off my wheel all the way up! Maybe I need to be more Andy Bye about things and go for under 6 minutes but I havent even cracked 7 minutes yet!

I am keen for this weekend, though I havent checked the on call rota - I think I am on for the weekend some time in january. Still I finally got back on the commuter bike today to and form work. When I rode this morining it was stuck in one gear mech was frozen, so I rode single speeed to work. It had unfrozen by the evening ride and I managed only 30 seconds off my best, so maybe I havent larded out too much over christmas.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    More of a pipe dream I think, I'm not even under 8 minutes yet :oops: but if I don't have a target I'll never improve enough to see you and Al in action falling off at the hairpins. :wink:

• The emu
    chrisw28 wrote:
    I'm in, didn't make it out today like a lot of people, had ice out on the road infront of my house so I just left it.....quote]

More the merrier, although long term weather still looks cold and icy.

Where do you live Chris, we could use you as our early ice warning system. :lol:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    BTW, Rich-Ti, did you get your Fred Whitton app in? They'd 'sold out' by half eight this morning! I stayed up till midnight to get my form, and posted them this morning :)
    Yup, exactly what I did!

If I don't get in I'll just do the Dave Lloyd Cumbrian Killer instead as it seems to cover much of the same ground (was going to do it anyway until I realised this) 8)
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Weather looking peachy. Should be around for a spin Saturday or possibly Sunday. Still haven't set my Box Hill time for '09.
    One of these days we need to set a TT time for RP :)
  • felgen
    Weather looking peachy. Should be around for a spin Saturday or possibly Sunday. Still haven't set my Box Hill time for '09.
    One of these days we need to set a TT time for RP :)

Me neither Al, with you right on my wheel its always worth a few extra seconds with the extra effort I make as a result. We should both manage 6 mins something this time surely (though I will need a pie-ectomy following Christmas :D)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Art Vandelay
    Sub 7 before spring I reckon for you James.
  • The emu
    Well I'm in the unprecedented situation where I can ride both Saturday and Sunday, so I'll vote Saturday and then either head out for a few laps on Sunday or do a Kingston run and meet some of my potential compatriots....or do the prologue with Rich.

James, did you just show up on the Sunday morning or did you forewarn them of your attendance?

Temp rises but notice wind returns aswell so I'll be well up for some drafting :wink:

• felgen
    edited January 2009
    Wilf, just turn up and say hi, and let them that you are a newbie (though of course that you have ridden before). Then ride, enjoy and make sure you take money for a cake stop - I might even be there if the RP ride is Saturday which seems to be a relatively popular option looking at how the votes have been cast.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    phips wrote:
    Weather looking peachy. Should be around for a spin Saturday or possibly Sunday.

Fancy Sunday Al? Weather is indeed looking peachy for then - 7º!
    Still haven't set my Box Hill time for '09

I've had two weeks off the bike now - not been out since Chrimbo day - so I reckon I'll be nice and fresh. Calls for a good effort up t' Hill, and if James is coming out I reckon a bit drafting is in order :-D At least for the first 500m anyway, before he drops me when I blow to bits :oops:

Lol Mark, when I went out for the first time after chrimbo, I was trying to give it some up Sawyers Hill and then had to come almost to a stop as I was about to vomit. That happened about three times on the first lap fo the park, and only abated towards the end of the second lap. Thank god I am commuting to work again - easy way to find training time, though is pretty much sprints and intervals, no long rides unless I detour!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Art Vandelay
    phips wrote:
    who's actually up for a ride on Sunday?
    Not sure yet! Was thinking about doing Paragon on Sunday but may switch that to the Saturday.
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Man its cold! Just off the plane from 30+ in Oz.

I'm looking like a starter on Sunday for a Surrey run. Usual caveat of no ice though..
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • The emu
    Welcome back mate.

You've missed the worst of it, only one more day of this I think.

Tonight is still going to be really cold with threat of heavy frost/ice but then sunday is a balmy 8, so I think tomorrow I'll do a few laps of the park and Sunday is for the chain gang.

• felgen
    Welcome back Mike,

As Wilf says, hopefully the tail end of the cold snap. Anyway we plan to ride, and with your return it seems that RPCC is mostly made up of Aussies again, plus wannabe Aussies if I wear my Aussie top which Wilf approves of. Anyway see you this weekend :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Thanks lads!

After a month off the bike I'll be happy to get under 10minutes for the BH climb.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • felgen
    I am keen - very keen. Will be good to catch up with people.

I am getting quite excited about the coming summer season - not being one to get super excited like Phips this is quite an unusual thing. Hopefully the ride will be at a good pace (17.5mph ok with everyone!?) and full of banter :D. RIch said he isn't sure about coming, but seeing as he has a new bike, maybe he is going to hide it from us for a little longer!

James
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    Rich said he isn't sure about coming, but seeing as he has a new bike, maybe he is going to hide it from us for a little longer!

James
    He's right, I'm undecided now - would like to try a Prologue ride but would also be good to catch up with you guys and discuss Fred Whitton / Caledonian / Devil ride plans etc., as well as setting a 'start of the year' time for Boxhill...

Hmmm, decisions decisions... :roll: :lol:
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Why don't we all agree to have a RPCC catch up on Sunday, then do other stuff thereafter :-) Be good to get the year all organised over cake at Box Hill I reckon :-D
    Not a bad idea that - see you Sunday 8)
  • The emu
    Sounds like a plan.

Not forgetting Fray Bentos :lol:

Mykee,for a bit of a heads up so you know on sunday what we're all nattering about, a few of us have registered/planning to register for the following:

- Quebrantahuesos AKA Fray Bentos (Spain - Pyrenees)
    - Etape Caledonia (Scotland)
    - Devils Ride (Brecon Beacons)

The more the merrier if your interested.

• Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Lads as discussed in the emails I am planning on doing a few laps around RP on Saturday. Planning on starting to circle the park from around 9.30 on wards in the same direction as Dynamo. Rich and Emu think you said you were both interested, Wilf has my number Rich. I don't have anyone elses' numbers but you can all PM me for my number. Txt me if you guys are planning on coming and can agree on time and place to meet