RP Training Group Ride - Sat 10th/Sun 11th

Comments

• Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Not on the bike tomorrow now, ski prep for me - but will be there Sunday for the team meeting.

Devil's Ride is a goer! Did anyone enter as FBCC :lol:
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Berns12 wrote:
    Rich and Emu think you said you were both interested, Wilf has my number Rich. I don't have anyone elses' numbers but you can all PM me for my number. Txt me if you guys are planning on coming and can agree on time and place to meet
    Cheers for the heads-up but a bit early for me two days in a row! :oops: :roll: :lol:

I'm going to target midday if anyone else fancies it? Planning to be sat in front of the Wasps Vs Bath game by 2ish so won't be out for long 8)
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    Is it okay if I join you guys on Sunday? It'll be my first time out with a group but i'm sure I'll be able to keep up :)

What's the plan as it seems a bit mixed from the messages and I don't really know the area too well? Where are you planning on meeting?

Thanks
    Ryan (RC21)
  • Rich-Ti
    RC21 wrote:
    Is it okay if I join you guys on Sunday? It'll be my first time out with a group but i'm sure I'll be able to keep up :)

What's the plan as it seems a bit mixed from the messages and I don't really know the area too well? Where are you planning on meeting?

Thanks
    Ryan (RC21)
    Come along Ryan! Always good to see a new face and bike! 8)

Plan is to be at Richmond Gate for 9am so hopefully see you there
  • Art Vandelay
    RC21 8)
    We're meeting at Richmond Gate at 9am tomorrow, there's usually a good few minutes of grace to allow time for late comers, quite often me :oops: .

If you're coming up from Roehampton Gate we'll be by the gates, inside the park on the left hand side.
    http://www.royalparks.org.uk/docs/park_maps/RichmondMAP.pdf
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    RC21 wrote:

Thanks
    Ryan (RC21)

Yeah Gday Ryan,

As the other lads have said, the more the merrier.

We have a route which takes us to the other side of Kingston and away from the main roads as quickly as possible before heading into the South Downs.

Depending on how everyones legs are feeling we either head towards and up Leith Hill before climbing Box Hill, or skip Leaith Hill and just head up Box Hill.

I'm sure you'll be fine keeping up, theres a couple of nice little climbs but we never leave anyone behind, oh except for Box Hill when we all have our personal time challenges to beat, so most people take off and leave me behind :roll:

Bring some loose change as we usually stop up top of BH for a warming cuppa.

If we do the Leith Hill usually a 100k round trip, without is about 80k (Sorry I'm Aussie and only work in metric).

Glad we didn't choose to go out today in the end. I went out shopping first thing this morning, and was freezing outside, so bailed on doing laps. Come home to check out of interest what the temperature was, and it is still -2 in london, -3.5 at heathrow :shock:v

The long grazed legged one
  • RC21
    Thanks guys, i'll see you there!

I'll be on a Planet X Ti wearing a red jacket - give me a shout if you see me cycling around looking lost :)

Cheers.
    Ryan
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    RC21 wrote:
    Thanks guys, i'll see you there!

I'll be on a Planet X Ti wearing a red jacket - give me a shout if you see me cycling around looking lost :)

Cheers.
    Ryan
    Excellent- another member of the Planet-X club!

I didn't ride today as I am saving myself for the first Boxhill attack of 2009. I made do with an extended evening commute round the park for a lap and a bit which is significantly harder work on the MTB than the road bike but at least it saves the good bike for the weekends I suppose. I was happy to get some weekday miles in as its pretty hard to make it out for a special trip these days.

See you all there tomorrow - incidentally who is coming so we have an idea of who we are waiting for?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The emu
    Bern is 50-50 depending on drinks tonight and I think Mykee was planning on making it.

Might even take the camera tomorrow for some action shots of the crew. :wink:

• Rich-Ti
    Looks like it'll be a good turn-out - glad I decided to switch plans now.
  • Art Vandelay
    Good numbers - We could do a bit of paceline practice tomorrow.
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    I'm still hoping to be out tomorrow, but if I'm not there by 9am please don't wait around for me.

Jet lag has really stuffed me around today so will have to see if I feel okay in the morning. :cry:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Rich-Ti
    Myk-ee wrote:
    I'm still hoping to be out tomorrow, but if I'm not there by 9am please don't wait around for me.

Jet lag has really stuffed me around today so will have to see if I feel okay in the morning. :cry:
    Could always make a start and bail if you start to feel rough :idea: :wink: 8)
  • felgen
    Good numbers - We could do a bit of paceline practice tomorrow.
    See what happens? Al joins a club and gets all LA on us :D
    That would be fun to do some but there aren't that many long straight bits to get it going for any length of time
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    Oh right yes we could through that bit could actually do a couple of laps as there are loads of roundabouts to do easy u-turns on.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • RC21
    I'm sorry guys but i'm now not going to be able to make it; i was really looking forward to coming along, meeting up with you and going for a nice ride - but i've just come back from the hospital; my girlfriend has broken her ankle in 2 places and is going to have surgery tomorrow to have some pins/plates put in to make sure it heals properly.

Sorry all, hopefully next time i'll be there.
    Ryan
  • Rich-Ti
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that Ryan - best wishes to her for a speedy recovery and hopefully see you out for a spin soon.
  • felgen
    RC21 wrote:
    I'm sorry guys but i'm now not going to be able to make it; i was really looking forward to coming along, meeting up with you and going for a nice ride - but i've just come back from the hospital; my girlfriend has broken her ankle in 2 places and is going to have surgery tomorrow to have some pins/plates put in to make sure it heals properly.

Sorry all, hopefully next time i'll be there.
    Ryan

Oh no that's a real bummer. Which hospital is she at? If you don't want to say in open forum, PM me (I am in the trade so to speak)

Everyone else see you in about 10 hours :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Well that was a bit stop-start! Still thoroughly enjoyed it though, and good to see a couple of new faces, even if one bailed (hope you got home ok Dave) and the other cracked on alone only to meet us later at Boxhill (I very nearly ripped my legs off keeping pace with you Mark! :shock: :lol: ).

I think I owe Wilf an apology though as it seems my severe good luck may have resulted in your level of bad luck today - schoolboy error, but I rode the whole thing today with a loose front quick release! :shock: :roll: :oops:

(and there was me thinking: "damn, these new wheels aren't as stiff as my Fulcrums were..." :roll: :oops: :lol: )

I'll start the thread for next week later, unless anyone else beats me to it 8)
  • Art Vandelay
    Just cleaned my bike with baby wipes. I had to stand back to admire the sparkle :D
    Nice tip Rich.
  • The emu
    Ice Ice Baby....

Can't say I really enjoyed it today - stirling company of course but by the end I felt physically sick, just had one of those off days from the get go.

My watery grave albeit entertaining for onlookers didn't exactly help. :oops: :lol:

Baby wipes can wait - I don't even want to look at my machine at the moment, let alone clean it. :evil:

I'll post some pics when I can get off the couch, the team shot at Box Hill with the snow in the background looks more like we're on a ski trip.

• The emu
    phips wrote:
    I'm leaving the 'protective' coating of filth on my bike. Mostly because there's nowhere to clean it at the moment (well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

Awards for today:

Most consistent rider: Art', for his unflinching dedication to never having a mechanical, or puncture.
    Most amazing change to problem-free riding: Rich-Ti, for getting through the whole ride without anything going wrong
    Most impressive gymnastics: Emu ;)
    Stiffest upper lip: Emu again ;)
    Man o' the match: Oo, Emu I think.

Quickest Tube Replacement- Mark was that you?
    Slowest Tube Replacement - Hmmmm, think Felgen and I tie with that one :lol:
    Most Agressive Rider - Felgen
    KOM - ?

Thanks Art for the cuppa too.

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Hi all

do any of you guys post the route you take in bikely or other site?

I would like to maybe join you guys one day but want to be sure i can actually make it and not slow you down and end up p*ssing you off :D

Thanks
    Ryan
  • mark_d
    mark_d Posts: 61
    Thanks for the ride today, guys. Sorry I didn't stick around with you in the middle bit (but not that sorry -- given your run of luck I probably wouldn't have stayed upright or got home).

Good riding on the way back to Epsom, particularly some of the cornering. My tyres are dreadful (you'd think their lack of cornering grip would make them fast but they roll like they're square) but even if they weren't I don't think I have the balls to try the corners on the run to Epsom hospital at that speed in the wet!
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Thanks for the ride today chaps, and sorry for ducking out early - i definitely need more miles in the legs before getting out in to the Surrey Hills...

I'll definitely be up for another go out next weekend though and will put in a couple of sessions on the turbo between now and then to get the legs working a bit!

Oh, and the luck rubbed off on me too - managed to get lost on the way back and almost ended up on the M25 at Leatherhead...

What mileage did you clock in the end?