Richmond park and clubs

Comments

• chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    edited December 2008
    No problem, see you tommorow at hampton court :)

forgot to mention, others are welcome to join us, we are heading off from the main entrance of hampton court palace at 10am. just a casual ride, not fast. i'll be wearing a blue jersey, riding a black/white basso. feel free to come ride with us!
  • chrisw28
    Thanks james for the ride, good ride, sorry about taking you down some of those bumpy roads! Some very nice ones to make up for that though, right? :lol: Hope you got back alright. :lol:
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Yeh, good ride, thanks for leading the way so to speak.....wasnt a fan of some of the wind though....we should ride again soon.
    James
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • amyrb
    amyrb Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (haven't actually been looking at it from the date of my registration) so nice to (sort of) meet you.

I'm in a similar position to th OP and so read this with interest. I have commuted on a bike for years and gone out on my own rides around London (never done RP as live in North London and hadn't realised it was such a big thing until recently). I recently got a new road bike (trek 1.5) and decided I would try to do a bit more. As I don't have any friends who are into bikes I've been thinking about joining a club also and probabaly will get round to it when I've dislodged the Chrismas pounds by the end of january.

I really like the sound of these informal group rides though as a way of getting familiar with riding with a group and getting to know a few people. It sounds as though you're happy to have mixed abilities from what you are saying and if so I'd love to come along on the 3/4. I think I'm fairly fit at the moment but haven't done any long rides for some time so whilst I'm sure I can get round I may well be slower than you guys and if the hills are steep I will be climbing slowly in granny gear. Sound ok? I would be happy as I think some one else suggested to drop out part way if I am proving to be a hindrance:)
  • chrisw28
    amyrb wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (haven't actually been looking at it from the date of my registration) so nice to (sort of) meet you.

I'm in a similar position to th OP and so read this with interest. I have commuted on a bike for years and gone out on my own rides around London (never done RP as live in North London and hadn't realised it was such a big thing until recently). I recently got a new road bike (trek 1.5) and decided I would try to do a bit more. As I don't have any friends who are into bikes I've been thinking about joining a club also and probabaly will get round to it when I've dislodged the Chrismas pounds by the end of january.

I really like the sound of these informal group rides though as a way of getting familiar with riding with a group and getting to know a few people. It sounds as though you're happy to have mixed abilities from what you are saying and if so I'd love to come along on the 3/4. I think I'm fairly fit at the moment but haven't done any long rides for some time so whilst I'm sure I can get round I may well be slower than you guys and if the hills are steep I will be climbing slowly in granny gear. Sound ok? I would be happy as I think some one else suggested to drop out part way if I am proving to be a hindrance:)

Sounds good to me!

Informal it is! It's never a race and the pace of these informal rides is quickly set where it is comfortable for everyone. I don't think there is anyone here who has a problem with waiting (if we need to) at the top of hills or whatever. Looks like I might have to make the ride on the sunday (4th) then aswell!
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    chrisw28 wrote:
    Looks like I might have to make the ride on the sunday (4th) then aswell!

I could be tempted by that (weather permiting) Hampton Court again?
  • chrisw28
    Could do, depends on where amyrb is cycling from and where everyone else is riding from/to on the 4th. I really don't mind where we meet up though, I'm pretty flexible. Weather looks good for sunday but very cold, friday looks a bit warmer!

Rich/Lucy, have you managed to sort out a time/place for meeting on the 2nd if both of you are still up for it? I can still meet you at hampton court, just need a time and i'll be there 8)
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    chrisw28 wrote:
    Rich/Lucy, have you managed to sort out a time/place for meeting on the 2nd if both of you are still up for it? I can still meet you at hampton court, just need a time and i'll be there 8)
    I reckon I should be able to get to Richmond Gate in the Park for 12:30pm on Friday, and Lucy is prepped to meet me there - I'll drop her a PM to confirm though, and James (Felgen) was looking to possibly join us too.

As for Sunday 4th, the plan is to meet at Richmond Gate at 9am. BUT it is weather permitting as recently 5 of us went for a spin and 4 out of 5 hit the deck on ice - as most of us take far too much pride in our bikes and a few of us work on a contract basis (where no work = no pay!) it's not a risk worth taking again and I'll be sat inside on my rollers!

Chris, on Friday I would imagine we will be at Hampton Court for around 12:50 all being well, maybe a little before.
  • voxegam
    I should be able to make the friday as well....I go back to Uni on the Saturday so would be nice to finally find the way to surrey hills which I havnt managed to do on two occasions now. Let me the know the time and all and I'll be there...
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • flasher
    chrisw28 wrote:
    Could do, depends on where amyrb is cycling from and where everyone else is riding from/to on the 4th. I really don't mind where we meet up though, I'm pretty flexible. Weather looks good for sunday but very cold, friday looks a bit warmer!

Hmm.......weather does look very cold for Sunday, Friday could be doable as I'm off this week. I'll keep an eye on the thread and see how it develops........
  • chrisw28
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    chrisw28 wrote:
    I reckon I should be able to get to Richmond Gate in the Park for 12:30pm on Friday, and Lucy is prepped to meet me there - I'll drop her a PM to confirm though, and James (Felgen) was looking to possibly join us too.

As for Sunday 4th, the plan is to meet at Richmond Gate at 9am. BUT it is weather permitting as recently 5 of us went for a spin and 4 out of 5 hit the deck on ice - as most of us take far too much pride in our bikes and a few of us work on a contract basis (where no work = no pay!) it's not a risk worth taking again and I'll be sat inside on my rollers!

Chris, on Friday I would imagine we will be at Hampton Court for around 12:50 all being well, maybe a little before.

Alright we'll see how it goes on friday before making plans on sunday. I'll be at Hampton Court for 12:50 then unless more news gets posted up on here first. I'll PM you my number so you can text or call if there are any last minute changes :)
  • amyrb
    I would be up for going out on Friday at 12.30pm also if thats ok. I'm coming from Stoke Newington and as I don't really ever have occaision to go over that way a midday start will give me plenty of time to wind my over and get lost a few times on the way. I will keep watching to see what happens.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    So I just got a lovely new Specialized Dolce, and in my excitement agreed to do the Triathlon relay next year. I know it's only in August, but I decided to get in early and do some training in richmond park. - at the moment I'm cycling from clapham, doing one lap (going for 2 tomorrow!) and then cycling home as I am a little intimidated by all the super-fit people speeding past me as I struggle up the hills (on the easy way round), so my questions are:

1) should I leave Richmond park until later in my training or is that the best way to get into it despite the potential of being thrown out for being too slow?
    2) When would be the best time to join a club? I would like to join one but am unsure about the levels of fitness needed.

Thank you!!

Lucy - as Chris and Rich have said, RP is a great place to train. It's a 6.7 mile circuit where you can practice speed on the flat (alway into a head wind at some point), your descending skills, and improve your speed up short hills.

To break up any monotony you might suffer, you can always venture out of Richmond and Ham Gates towards Richmond and loop back to the Park via Nightingale Lane (kicks up tp about 18%), Richmond Hill or Star & Garter Hill.

As Rich mentioned, the 3 Lap Challenge is worth following - it provides great motivation for improving those times. :) The 2009 thread should be starting soon!

If you're doing the bike leg of the relay, that means you can just go balls-out without having to worry about the run afterwards :D . You should focus on building an endurance base over the winter by putting the mileage in. This will then give you a stronger foundation on which to build your speed from Spring onwards.

Good luck!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich-Ti
    Right all, plans for tomorrow (Fri 2nd) are meet at Richmond Gate, Richmond Park for 12:30pm or Hampton Court at 12:50 - I've not ridden as much as I'd hoped this week so I can't wait to get out!

Looking forward to seeing, meeting and riding with you all! 8)
  • chrisw28
    I'm in, will be outside hampton court main entrance for 12:50, will be wearing a blue jersey and riding a black/white bike. See you tommorow :D
  • voxegam
    Yup same here....will be at Hampton Court at 12.50.....Blue Planet-X bike, Blue and black jersey....See you there!
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • Will be at RP - no Jersey, just a plain old purple jacket ;-)
    Looking forward to meeting you all!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Any of you mind riding with your Dad (possibly Grandad)?
    Only been cycling again since August due to bike accident causing 2 years off. Would like to join you today just to see how I get on, be sociable and meet a few 'forumites'.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • chrisw28
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Any of you mind riding with your Dad (possibly Grandad)?
    Only been cycling again since August due to bike accident causing 2 years off. Would like to join you today just to see how I get on, be sociable and meet a few 'forumites'.
    I dont mind at all, hopefully see you laters!
  • Rich-Ti
    Likewise Aggieboy - come along!

Will you be meeting us at Richmond Park or Hampton Court?
  • Thanks guys, it was good to meet you all and do a bit of a longer ride - let's do it again sometime!
  • Rich-Ti
    Thanks guys, it was good to meet you all and do a bit of a longer ride - let's do it again sometime!
    Glad you enjoyed it Lucy, and well instigated!

Hope the pace and distance was ok for everyone - I think the timing on the route worked out quite well as we caught a cracking susnset as we came into RP! 8)

Feel free to drop me a line anytime you fancy heading out for a spin - I have a lot of training to do this year for some long events so I'm pretty busy, but I'm also keen to get out as much as possible! (that goes for all of you by the way!)

And don't forget to keep an eye on the 'Sportives & Road Rides' board for 'RPCC / Richmond Park training group' rides! We start out the same way as today and generally ride for 50-70 miles once each weekend 8)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Ooo, that sounds like it was a nice ride!

How many folks made it out? Did you get out into the hills?

You still on for Sunday, weather permitting, Rich-Ti?
    Yup, was a nice 40+ mile spin over 3hrs or so - didn't make it out into the hills properly (i.e. no Boxhill, Leith or Pitch), but hopefully the guys will all now know how to head out towards the Surrey Hills if they want to go out that way themselves, plus I think there was enough 'undulation' to keep it interesting?!

There were 7 of us in total so a better turnout than some of our own RPCC efforts! :roll: :lol:

Weather permitting, Sunday is go! 8)
  • amyrb
    Yeah, thanks everyone, I really enjoyed that. Was good to have some company riding, will def be up for doing it again some time.
  • flasher
    Yeah, nice ride, we should do it again. Nice to meet everyone :)

Don't worry, you didn't lose me between Cobham and Esher, I deliberately turned off to go home :wink:

Craig
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    7 is a good turnout - as Rich says better than most RP jaunts! Anyway sorry I didn't make it, perhaps we will get some converts on the Sunday run - anyone planning to come on that from this ride?

:D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • chrisw28
    Thanks all for the ride (and getting me out the house!). Nice to meet you all too, sorry for not bidding half of you farewell, looks like everyone made it back home safely though.

I may pop along on sunday with you guys if you dont mind? Where are you heading out to and how many miles'ish?h
  • chrisw28
    edited January 2009
    Double post...my bad :oops:
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Hi all

sounds like you had a great time. what route did you do?