RP Training Group Ride: Saturday 3rd/Sunday 4th January

Comments

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    phips wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    (I have been on leave since December 9th)!

Soooo jealous of that.

Well. I haven't exactly been twiddling my thumbs - there has been some miserable sleepless nights with little'un. Still if you want to be jealous it looks like I will be spending 2 weeks in Cairns in February and yes the bike is going with me :-D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    felgen wrote:
    phips wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    (I have been on leave since December 9th)!

Soooo jealous of that.

Well. I haven't exactly been twiddling my thumbs - there has been some miserable sleepless nights with little'un. Still if you want to be jealous it looks like I will be spending 2 weeks in Cairns in February and yes the bike is going with me :-D

Good prep for spain...don't forget to book it if your in Aus when it opens.

My preperation for the big Q will be 4 weeks taking on the Adelaide Hills over Easter in Sth Australia. A little less tropical than cairns, but one thing is certain, it won't be snowing like it was here last year.

Hope the pound strengthens beforehand. :evil:

The long grazed legged one
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:

Hope the pound strengthens beforehand. :evil:
    Yeah thats true - it doesn't make it as cheap. Anyway Melbourne hills sound nice...as for me, I want to get some climbing up onto the table lands and up to Lake Morris.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Just back from sunny Edinburgh - managed a few short runs up the hills which was great.
    Emu - shame you didn't have the bike, there's some good climbs and the weather although baltic was dry.
    James - 3 weeks 'holiday' :wink: with 2 more in Feb :x
    Looks like Sunday is a goer (Ice-dependent) - who's a likely so far?
  • The emu
    Melbourne Hills? :?

Well my mission for 09 is to lose more weight around the girth and get stronger in the climbs so will be doing something this weekend, just depends where (based on weather).

On the matter of climbs, is anyone interested in the Devil Ride? Its 3 weeks after Spain (for us who plan on going) which might be a bit close, but would be a good chance to follow up with some more hills and show off our spanish tans ;)

Sells out quickly and registration is on 12 January.

Website here - http://www.cyclosportives.co.uk/devilHome.htm

Thanks for the tip about Bailies Al - food went down a treat.

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    The emu wrote:
    On the matter of climbs, is anyone interested in the Devil Ride? Its 3 weeks after Spain (for us who plan on going) which might be a bit close, but would be a good chance to follow up with some more hills and show off our spanish tans ;)

Sells out quickly and registration is on 12 January.

Website here - http://www.cyclosportives.co.uk/devilHome.htm
    This looks good and fits in nicely with my current schedule! 8)
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    This looks good and fits in nicely with my current schedule! 8)
    You have a scehdule!? :shock: I am struggling to get out at all at the moment, in fact I haven't been out since last thursday.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    You have a scehdule!? :shock:
    Not a training schedule, just this little list...

Burgess Hill Spring Classic - 15th March
    Fred Whitton Challenge (hopefully) - 10th May
    Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge - 21st June
    Devil Ride - 12th July
    Bontrager Twentyfour12 (MTB - 12hr solo) - 25th/26th July (I think)
    Burgess Hill Rumble - 30th Aug
    Dave Lloyd Cumbrian Killer - 20th Sept

8)
  • felgen
    phips wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:

I'm hoping to get into the FW again too Rich. Shall be posting my app, along with three mate's, on the 6th of Jan :)

Oh lordy - that's the toughie isn't it? I really need to get my act together if I am going to get a slot on any of these sportives. Its almost a competition in itself to get a spot even before you have ridden anywhere. Anyway completely off topic but my present to myself arrived today - garmin cadence sensor - its all set up now ready to go. I am really intrigued to see what Rich's present to himself for Christmas was as he has alluded to it a couple of times :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    phips wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    I'm hoping to get into the FW again too Rich. Shall be posting my app, along with three mate's, on the 6th of Jan :)
    Oh lordy - that's the toughie isn't it? I really need to get my act together if I am going to get a slot on any of these sportives. Its almost a competition in itself to get a spot even before you have ridden anywhere. Anyway completely off topic but my present to myself arrived today - garmin cadence sensor - its all set up now ready to go. I am really intrigued to see what Rich's present to himself for Christmas was as he has alluded to it a couple of times :D
    It's one of the toughies - the Dave Lloyd is gonna be worse though I reckon... :shock:

My present is a beauty and I'm not sure you'll be that surprised when you see it given the discussions we've had in the past... But it didn't cost me anything like what it should have! If I tell you now it's effectively cost me £200 you'll fall off your bike when you see it!! :wink::lol:
  • That's a good line up Rich. Me so far...

May 17th Etape Caledonia
    June 20th Quebrantahuesos
    September 20th Merida MTB Ruthin

Tempted by the Burgess in March and something in April would fill the gap.
    Devil's Ride in July would be 'interesting' - "As well as the notorious Devil’s Staircase, riders on the full route will take on another nine or ten significant climbs, including the fearsome Gammallt (25%). This follows straight after the Staircase and came to fame when it forced riders onto their feet during the Milk Race." :shock:
  • Hmmm...Enzo wheels?
  • The emu
    Yep she's a killer but I'm hoping by then I'll be well up for it.

Here's my list, not long but far reaching:

May 17th Etape Caledonia (Scotland)
    June 20th Quebrantahuesos (Spanish Pyrenees)
    July 12th Devils Ride (Wales)
    Oct 18th Gran Fondo Giro di Lombardia (Italy)

I'm over here to travel and see the countryside as much as anything. :D

I want to do a pave in Belgium aswell but I can't fit it in.

I'm just spewing I miss out on two good rides in Adelaide by a few weeks, the Tour Down Under and the Coast to Coast.

• felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    phips wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    It's one of the toughies - the Dave Lloyd is gonna be worse though I reckon... :shock:

My present is a beauty and I'm not sure you'll be that surprised when you see it given the discussions we've had in the past... But it didn't cost me anything like what it should have! If I tell you now it's effectively cost me £200 you'll fall off your bike when you see it!! :wink::lol:

Hmm - its got to be wheels then... with a trade in... Zipps? FFWD? Dalkiia? Ah what the heck, I shal find out on Friday
    *edit* misread that.... whole new bike with yours as a trade in?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:
    Yep she's a killer but I'm hoping by then I'll be well up for it.

Here's my list, not long but far reaching:

May 17th Etape Caledonia (Scotland)
    June 20th Quebrantahuesos (Spanish Pyrenees)
    July 12th Devils Ride (Wales)
    Oct 18th Gran Fondo Giro di Lombardia (Italy)

I'm over here to travel and see the countryside as much as anything. :D

I want to do a pave in Belgium aswell but I can't fit it in.

I'm just spewing I miss out on two good rides in Adelaide by a few weeks, the Tour Down Under and the Coast to Coast.
    Thats a good list - sorry to hear you are spewin' though :twisted: I hate it when you feel like that :P
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    I am keen to ride. If preople want to wuss out on the lanes, which may well include me I might add, then we have a Windsor option which should be a lot less hilly. At present (notwithstanding total sleep deprivation) I aim to be there man for a ride.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • hi, am a newbie here. what time would you guys head off? Also only got my ss at the moment, so will try tag along for a while.
  • The emu
    Well after doing a quick search on this website with the word ice, I'm going to skip Surrey Hills this weekend. :oops:

Falling off and scratching me or my bike isn't an issue, but sliding under the wheels of an incoming car (to be fair, Rich an I weren't that far away from the FWD the other week :shock:) its just not worth it.

I do plan on doing laps in RP, but will be there at 10 rather than 9 in the vain hope that sun is high enough that the temp will atleast be above freezing and my water bottle doesn't turn into an ice brick.

• Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    I do plan on doing laps in RP, but will be there at 10 rather than 9 in the vain hope that sun is high enough that the temp will atleast be above freezing and my water bottle doesn't turn into an ice brick.
    No promises, but this sounds more up my street - it'll either be this or rollers for me tomorrow.
  • The emu
    felgen wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    phips wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:

Hmm - its got to be wheels then... with a trade in... Zipps? FFWD? Dalkiia? Ah what the heck, I shal find out on Friday
    *edit* misread that.... whole new bike with yours as a trade in?

Didn't Rich just buy a pair of R1s or was that what he wanted to get? Rumour has it he's building up a Cervelo R3 aswell :?: :wink:

• Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    Rumour has it he's building up a Cervelo R3 aswell :?: :wink:
    It's built :wink: 8)

Already running R1s, but might be changing the wheels and groupset soon too... :roll: :lol:
  • The emu
    Sweet, I'll start calling you Grades' :lol:

I'm assuming you picked it up as a frame? Is it new or pre-loved?

• The emu
    phips wrote:
    Well, I've just swapped my front tyre for one that doesn't have a gigantic slit in it, in prep for the ride tomorrow.

However, I think with Wilf and Rich chickening out, I'm going to join them.

Turbo + gym for me then I think.

Want to start a 10/11th thread Rich-Ti? ;-)

Who's chickening out turbo man - I'm still be braving the park? :lol:

Come to think of it, I just changed tubes today and noticed my front tyre is fooked aswell.

BTW, was there any racing action today Rich/James, and if so how did you both fair?

• Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    I'm assuming you picked it up as a frame? Is it new or pre-loved?
    Yup, pre-loved frameset - £850 and got £650 for my Soloist Team so I'm well happy! 8)
  • felgen
    Oh welln it looks like the consensus is for a 'limited' ride. I want to ride but - also don't want to break my bike so I will see what the temperature drops to overnight.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB