Armstrong flees antidoping test

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited January 2009 in Pro race
So says the translated version of http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/cicl ... 88613.html but I think something gets lost in translation when I use Google translate, so the story is not as dramatic as the headline suggests.

But the article quotes Catlin, who says it is "bad for him" not to submit to such tests. "We want to do the tests and we are negotiating to carry them out" but it appears that nothing is in place yet.

Comments

• donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Either the article's being VERY, VERY misleading with old news or your translation is way off base. The original info came out half a month ago and had nothing to do with Lance fleeing any tests.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD94PDMBO0

The relevant quotes:
    Catlin told The Associated Press this weekend that while Armstrong has been placed back in the testing pools at both the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and UCI, cycling's international body, that he has yet to test him and that a plan to document Armstrong's results online is not in place.

"We're interested in getting it going," Catlin said. "We have been chatting and are in negotiations."
    Catlin said the details are complicated but the negotiations are ongoing.

"If they stop, that's bad,
    " he said.
    "The program we want to do is going to be intensive," Catlin said. "And he's a moving target. He's very busy. Keeping up with him, testing him, takes a lot of planning and it hasn't all come together yet."

But Catlin said he had confidence
    that the tests Armstrong has been subjected to in the USADA and UCI programs were enough to start.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So Don, he's got time to eat out all the time, do oodles of press conferences, twitter about which films he's watched but he doesn't have time to sort out his much talked about anti-doping programme?

Why do you suppose that is?

:roll:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Cos he's a cheating, lying fool who takes those dim wits who place false hope in him as goons?
  • something tells me that there are a lot of people on this website, that just do not like Lance Armstrong..... :roll:
    Don't rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Grimone wrote:
    something tells me that there are a lot of people on this website, that just do not like Lance Armstrong..... :roll:

That took a week for you to figure it out?
    Lance is the devil, he is the reason there are wars, poverty, economic crisis, whatever, you name it, for some people here.
    I've given up trying to keep a healthy, level headed attitude towards him here, simply impossible.

The irony is, I was pulling for Contador when I joined here and he got almost the same treatment Lance is getting over and over again. Now Lance coming back, some of these nutties are suddenly pulling for Contador, whom they despised at the beginning of the year....
    Logical? Far from it.

• But the article isn't about the posters on this website.
    It's a very valid point.
    How can people defend Armstrong from this criticism, when he self-promotes this scheme as a method of proving his doping virginity, yet is now, pattently avoiding it's establishment?

It mystifies me, how his fans never question his actions, when they don't relate to his words....
    Arkibal wrote:
    Logical? Far from it.

Why? Depends on your definition of logical.
    All to do with the article.
    If you find someone saying one thing and doing another, logical.
    Nothing to do with Contador.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Arkibal wrote:
    Grimone wrote:
    something tells me that there are a lot of people on this website, that just do not like Lance Armstrong..... :roll:

Lance is the devil, he is the reason there are wars, poverty, economic crisis, whatever, you name it, for some people here.
    I've given up trying to keep a healthy, level headed attitude towards him here, simply impossible.

The irony is, I was pulling for Contador when I joined here and he got almost the same treatment Lance is getting over and over again. Now Lance coming back, some of these nutties are suddenly pulling for Contador, whom they despised at the beginning of the year....
    Logical? Far from it.

So anybody that is succesful at the major tour's then? Seems that way to me. Contador was implicated in the Operacion Puerto scandal so i can understand that one a little more.

Lance is genuine, until proven otherwise in my eyes.

No it's not logical at all. It's all negative conjecture.

All heil Lance Armstrong, the undisputed seven time Tour winner!
    Don't rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are.
  • The full translation for those are interested:-
    Armstrong flees from an antidoping control

Astana started their preparation this Sunday in Tenerife for the 2009 season with the presence of its principal stars, Contador and Armstrong. The American is newsworthy because he didn’t appear at a doping control which had been arranged by his personal investigator, Dan Catlin.

.The cyclist himself had contracted the services of Catlin tp prepare for his return to competition after three years of professional inactivity. Both had a basic agreement for a programme of antidoping tests with the compromise of not making the results public. The data would not be able to be made public at Armstrong’s request.

Catlin gave the assurance that the cyclist has already submitted to the antidoping controls of the US and the UCI, but he didn’t appear for the tests of his personal investigator. It’s this type of news which has always cast doubt on the real capacity of Lance to achieve his exploits.

This is why Dan Catlin considers that it is ‘bad for him’ that he didn’t present himself for these sorts of test. ‘We want to do the tests and we are negotiating for them to be carried out’. What appears clear is that the return on the seven times champion of the Tour will be studied with a magnifying glass by the fans and, above all, from the point of view of the ‘vampires.’

Some non conjecture in there, not that it'll matter.
  • andyp wrote:
    Cos he's a cheating, lying fool who takes those dim wits who place false hope in him as goons?

And you're GOD almighty who is the only one to see all this and has nothing to do with you being a Lance/american hater... :roll: :?
  • Arkibal wrote:
    Grimone wrote:

Logical? Far from it.

They were Conti haters because they were/are affraid of a similar era of dominance by just one rider! And now, the greatest tour rider has come out of retirement and still is capable of winning, because of the lack of big names in cycling :? , these haters are chosing a less succsefull rider = lesser evi :twisted: l ( the only one capable of matching Lance) to stop the Big Boss! The hate comes from envy from the most of the Lance haters! They can't stand someone that succsesfull! :? :?
  • Arkibal wrote:
    Grimone wrote:

Logical? Far from it.

They were Conti haters because they were/are affraid of a similar era of dominance by just one rider! And now, the greatest tour rider has come out of retirement and still is capable of winning, because of the lack of big names in cycling :? , these haters are chosing a less succsefull rider = lesser evi :twisted: l ( the only one capable of matching Lance) to stop the Big Boss! The hate comes from envy from the most of the Lance haters! They can't stand someone that succsesfull! :? :?
  • Lance is genuine, until proven otherwise in my eyes.

All heil Lance Armstrong, the undisputed seven time Tour winner![/quote]

Detto here :wink::D 8)
  • andyp
    Belokki wrote:
    andyp wrote:

And you're GOD almighty who is the only one to see all this and has nothing to do with you being a Lance/american hater... :roll: :?
    I don't hate Americans. I don't hate Armstrong either. I just don't buy the story.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    The hate comes from envy?!?! What would we, lowly cycling forum posters, possibly have to envy Lance Armstrong for?

You're talking about a group of people who would suffer to make the time cutoff for one flat stage of the TdF, let alone 20 stages, feeling envy for a 7-time Tour winner. Don't you think you might have your orders of magnitude slightly mixed up? I mean, you could say I fell envy for him, just like I feel envy for the lowliest of neo-pros, because they live by doing what I live for. But feel particular envy for him over another rider? Nope.

To believe that anybody, Armstrong or whoever else, won a GT clean in the late 90's and early 00's is displaying either credulity beyond belief or a complete disregard for what recent history has taught us. The only difference is that, when someone suggests Heras was a doper, we don't get 10 of you apologists pop up out of nowhere to defend The Man.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Belokki wrote:

You're the guy who started a thread about Armstrong, Ullrich and Beloki, yet didn't want anyone to mention doping. What's Santa bringing you for christmas? A couple of tonnes of sand for you to bury your head in?
  • drenkrom wrote:
    The hate comes from envy?!?! What would we, lowly cycling forum posters, possibly have to envy Lance Armstrong for?

You're talking about a group of people who would suffer to make the time cutoff for one flat stage of the TdF, let alone 20 stages, feeling envy for a 7-time Tour winner. Don't you think you might have your orders of magnitude slightly mixed up? I mean, you could say I fell envy for him, just like I feel envy for the lowliest of neo-pros, because they live by doing what I live for. But feel particular envy for him over another rider? Nope.

To believe that anybody, Armstrong or whoever else, won a GT clean in the late 90's and early 00's is displaying either credulity beyond belief or a complete disregard for what recent history has taught us. The only difference is that, when someone suggests Heras was a doper, we don't get 10 of you apologists pop up out of nowhere to defend The Man.

Prove that Lance doped!! I won't defend Heras because he's busted! You hate Lance because he's different! He survived cancer! Have you forgotten that?? Most people can't accept that someone from that low can go that high! And that he was reppeled every attack from you haters! You cant find a hold on him, because there isn't any! You're just sore losers! You can't accept the fact that you may bee wrong, even when proof show that your wrong! Don't you think they would have taken away Lance's palmares if they had enough proof! Give me the proof that he cheated and i'll belive you! But not a newspaper clipping pulled out from a french reporters ass!! HARD FACT!!
  • andyp
    Urine samples from LA taken from the 1999 Tour contained traces of EPO.

Want any more hard facts? Or maybe another tonne or two of sand?
  • andyp wrote:

No proof, just a paper clipping! You have more credibility than that( irony) media crap!

I think you are the ones who have your heads in the sand! You heard so much media crap that you have gone depressed! Get a life!
  • andyp
    Please explain how traces of EPO in samples confirmed by the UCI as belonging to LA were planted there by paper clippings. That's some trick.
  • andyp
    P.S. I have a life thanks.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Belokki wrote:

You're the guy who started a thread about Armstrong, Ullrich and Beloki, yet didn't want anyone to mention doping. What's Santa bringing you for christmas? A couple of tonnes of sand for you to bury your head in?

Nope! Don't need sand! Love the beach though... Expecialy when I'm with my girlfriend...maybe Santa will bring you a robber women so you can go too :wink:

Don't bee so depressed :D get a life :wink: you think to much...and its bad for you're health and all clean cyclists!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited December 2008
    Belokki wrote:
    Give me the proof that he cheated and i'll belive you! But not a newspaper clipping pulled out from a french reporters ass!! HARD FACT!!

Once again.
    The thread isn't about whether he doped, dopes or has the urine of a baby au natural. It is about whether posters are concerned that Armstrong is not practicing what he's been preaching, re: Catlin.

The article, backed up by statements from the man who counts, tells us Armstrong has failed to show up for an appointed dope test.
    It tells us that, contrary to his press releases about making his values public, he now wants them kept under wraps.

All I see here, are a series of apologist rants attacking fellow posters upon nothing that relates to this topic.

You have clear proof of Armstrong's inconsistencies ( a mild word IMO) in this article.
    That should be all the proof you need, here, but in this context only.
    It's not enough though, is it?
  • andyp
    Ooh. Can I have a 'robber women' too? Please Santa? I've been good. :shock:
  • andyp wrote:
    Please explain how traces of EPO in samples confirmed by the UCI as belonging to LA were planted there by paper clippings. That's some trick.

Confirmed?? Its only benn confiremd by the french media... The UCI would have taken action against Lance :wink:

Noone claims responsibility for the leak if there were one s o tough luck :wink:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Belokki wrote:
    andyp wrote:

No proof, just a paper clipping! You have more credibility than that( irony) media crap!

I think you are the ones who have your heads in the sand! You heard so much media crap that you have gone depressed! Get a life!

Disregarding the doping issue for a moment (I know it's difficult), I'm curious to know what you think of Armstrong as a person?

How do you feel about the intimidation of other riders like Simeoni and Bassons? What about his relationship with press, and his willingness to blacklist any journalist who writes something he dislikes? Or his selective amnesia, where he tends to forget things when he doesn't like what he's being asked?

PS: Robber woman? What, like Bonnie Parker?
    6288 Posts: 131
    andyp wrote:

and your mother slept around so you don't know your real father ...

now .. I DO NOT MEAN ANY OF THAT ... but see how easy it is just to say things about something/someone you have no earthly idea about for shits n giggles ...
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    edited December 2008
    6288 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

and your mother slept around so you don't know your real father ...

now .. I DO NOT MEAN ANY OF THAT ... but see how easy it is just to say things about something/someone you have no earthly idea about for shits n giggles ...

well said sir/madam
  • Disregarding the doping issue for a moment (I know it's difficult), I'm curious to know what you think of Armstrong as a person?

How do you feel about the intimidation of other riders like Simeoni and Bassons? What about his relationship with press, and his willingness to blacklist any journalist who writes something he dislikes? Or his selective amnesia, where he tends to forget things when he doesn't like what he's being asked?[/quote]

for the first question:
    As a person he impressed me with his menta;ity to never give up in 2003( my first TDF) when Ullrich was considered to be the favorite by the media and everyone else... I saw him suffer... I never saw a more determined HUMAN being ever!

He didn't blacklist those riporters, hes said so himself..but why would anyone want to speak to those people who want nothing elso but to see them fal( thats a human thing to)? And I also admire his mind of never giving in to the presure of the haters!
    As for the intimidation... he's the Big Boss! He's a champion, the Boss of the peloton in his race...And he acted like one!

Or his selective amnesia, where he tends to forget things when he doesn't like what he's being asked?

Have you been asked the question "Have you ever masturbated?" Its an unpleasent one( just like doping in cycling) , you may at first say "yes" or "no", but after a while and the same qouestion over and over again... maybe in words no but in your mind you say "get the fuck away from me you creep!" Hope you get my point :lol::wink:
  • PS: Robber woman? What, like Bonnie Parker?[/quote]

Whats a Bonnie Parker?? :lol::lol::lol:
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Hmm, if acting like the boss means ordering your minions to spit on people then I'll stay well clear, thanks - surely you can't find that admirable, belokki?

Catlin must feel like such a fool - but silly of Armstrong to mess up his credibility with someone like that. Catlin now knows he's being used for PR and nothing more - and so do we.

Still, it's now absolutely transparent that Armstrong has no intention of doing any of the things he trumpeted at the press conference - no tests with Catlin and nothing out in the open on the internet. Whilst hardly surprising it is rather stupid.