If I get a messenger bag will I become a fakenger?

1235»

Comments

• RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    yeah it does. Don't always actually need it though as the bag seems to stay fairly stable anyway.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Thanks for that, I may have to go Knog. I like the look of that bag, it seems comfortable.

Is it big? I seems to curve, I wonder if that reduces space.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    Its curved slightly to the shape of your back. As for size it'd be slightly less than shoulder-width. I get a weeks worth of shirts, trousers and another assorted items into it every Monday morning/Friday evening.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Greg66 wrote:
    Don't leave the choice to your parents. Parental units = what's easiest to buy. Answer: a rucksack.

Here's the cast iron, copper bottomed, solid gold (enough metals?) reason to get a messenger back: they do move around a bit when you ride.

To right them, you just put you right hand towards being in a half Nelson and give them a nudge back into place from time to time.

Now, gather round, listen carefully, and I'll tell you how to use this to your advantage. I don't tell everyone this, so don't pass it on.

A second or two after you've ripped the still beating heart from your prey, whilst easing back onto the cyclists' line on the road, and without breaking your pedal stroke, you oh-so-casually reach back and give your bag a small positional correction.

There's nothing quite like inflicting a mortal wound, and then saying "Look, I can do that with one hand. And the other behind my back." :twisted:

Yes, I like that..

If only there were more than shopper bikes and kids on BMXs on my commute :(

Well, my PAC bag arrived yesterday, so it wasn't half-inched [relief] :D:D

Its a bit bigger than I was expecting... don_don jnr is enjoying using it as a play tent at the moment :roll:

Just thought I'd share that before the sex argument starts again...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    don_don wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Don't leave the choice to your parents. Parental units = what's easiest to buy. Answer: a rucksack.

Here's the cast iron, copper bottomed, solid gold (enough metals?) reason to get a messenger back: they do move around a bit when you ride.

To right them, you just put you right hand towards being in a half Nelson and give them a nudge back into place from time to time.

Now, gather round, listen carefully, and I'll tell you how to use this to your advantage. I don't tell everyone this, so don't pass it on.

A second or two after you've ripped the still beating heart from your prey, whilst easing back onto the cyclists' line on the road, and without breaking your pedal stroke, you oh-so-casually reach back and give your bag a small positional correction.

There's nothing quite like inflicting a mortal wound, and then saying "Look, I can do that with one hand. And the other behind my back." :twisted:

Yes, I like that..

If only there were more than shopper bikes and kids on BMXs on my commute :(

Well, my PAC bag arrived yesterday, so it wasn't half-inched [relief] :D:D

Its a bit bigger than I was expecting... don_don jnr is enjoying using it as a play tent at the moment :roll:

Just thought I'd share that before the sex argument starts again...

Its all right from now on whenever I want to make a posts that has connotations of sex, I'll just post pictures of naked men, lady-boys and women. That won't offend anyone, even kids looking over Mommy and Daddy's shoulder. Certainly less harmful than writing the word sex or the phrase I had sex today.... :roll:

*Warning DondaddyD moment*
    I can think of several far more comfortable things to put Don_Don jr in than a cycle bag....
    *Warning DonddaddyD moment*

Anyway I'll sshhh before the firing squad gets called in for this post as I've clearly given intimate details about my sexlife and what I get upto in the bedroom... :roll:

It has properly pissed me off.
    ANYWAY:

Don_Don,
    Do you have a link to this bag?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    DDD -

If you want to go the all-singing, all-dancing custom route then you could try:

www.pacdesigns.com (Eastern Canada, great service, good range of bags)
    www.bagaboo.hu (my other fave choice but PAC won out in the end)

or better still check the reviews in fixed gear gallery:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/indexreviewarchives.html

If you want something quickly, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com do a reasonable range of Chrome bags.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    funny-pictures-mom-dad-surprised-cat.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Clever Pun wrote:
    funny-pictures-mom-dad-surprised-cat.jpg

Nice pussy, no wait... arrhhhh!!!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    redvee wrote:
    Where's Dave the Trucker?

When a man dresses as a woman its called a transvetite but what about the reverse, a woman dressing as a man :lol:?

Still a transvestite. Sorry to disappoint... :D

I never worked out where that came from. Why do we have to categorise people for what they wear?
  • AndyOgy wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    Where's Dave the Trucker?

When a man dresses as a woman its called a transvetite but what about the reverse, a woman dressing as a man :lol:?

Still a transvestite. Sorry to disappoint... :D

I never worked out where that came from. Why do we have to categorise people for what they wear?

Or what they don't wear, for that matter?
  • It's about £100 but how cool is this ? http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/page ... detail.jsf
    FCN 11, Hmmm
  • It's about £100 but how cool is this ? http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/page ... detail.jsf

I have a small Freitag bag, which I use as a handbag. It's the most durable, long lasting item I have probably ever owned. Brilliant.
  • I recommend Timbuk2.

I got one second hand when I was a student in 2001 and the only thing that has stopped me using it was a neighbour's cat coming in and spraying on it. :?

It is still waterproof, it hasn't frayed or split anywhere and I have used it for literally 1000's of commutes. I have a Knog at the moment and, aside from the problem that the shoulder strap length is more difficult to change than a re-mortgage, it has already started to split.

They still make the exact same Tumbuk2 that I got. This is a good sign that its a product that's difficult to improve upon.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Another vote for Timbuk2 from me, I got mine from the bike shop in Covent Garden in '93 or so and it's still going strong. I've used it on motorbikes as well as pedal, without any problems even at three figure speeds (ahem). The reflectors are clip on (I think they're stitched on newer ones), and despite a few close calls I've still got them.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    don_don wrote:
    DDD -

If you want to go the all-singing, all-dancing custom route then you could try:

www.pacdesigns.com (Eastern Canada, great service, good range of bags)
    www.bagaboo.hu (my other fave choice but PAC won out in the end)

or better still check the reviews in fixed gear gallery:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/indexreviewarchives.html

If you want something quickly, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com do a reasonable range of Chrome bags.

I'd add http://www.reloadbags.com/ to that list, I have a stock bag of theirs at the mo - which is still a one off, but am in the process of designing another at the mo.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Anyone used the Pauma Chorka K1? It loks a bit small but as much as I would love a bagaboo workhorse for sheer capaciousness I cannot afford it.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • I have a North Face Messenger Bag.

north-face-base-camp-messenger-bag.jpg

It's good. And yellow. Obnoxious, but all part of my be-seen-from-space hi-viz system.

You can fit eight cans of lager, two bottles of ginger ale and a litre of whiskey in it without breaking a sweat. Errrr, also documents. ...

I did sex once. I think. I liked the bit with the shuttlecock.
  • zaynan
    zaynan Posts: 180
    Fakenger - it's just a label - don't worry about it. Get the kit that suits you, who gives a toss what others think. You are riding a bike to work and that's the main thing.
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes