If I get a messenger bag will I become a fakenger?

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    some impossibly strong warhorse with a fat back end.

L_i_T - I wouldn't stand for that if I were you. :wink::lol:

Whoa!

Am I the only one reading this in the way that I've read it....

Anyway:
    OK, Lewis, I'm gonna put that one down with the "I wrote that in a hurry and couldn't thing of anything better to say" stuff

I'm pretty sure that unless you're packing enriched uranium in your saddle bag, it really doesn't affect the handling of the bike. Now I could be wrong about that, and it's costing you time in the slow corners and through the chicanes, but I'll go out on a limb here and call you on that reason.

I meant every word. My bike is an instrument that demands perfectl tuning to bless upon its masterful symphony of speed, control and delivery of power. My saddle bag, I felt made the bike feel heavy - I probably needed to pump the tyres up that day.

In any case I've got a light attached to the seat post now (the one that scrolls like knightrider) and that prevents a bag being placed there.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:

In any case I've got a light attached to the seat post now (the one that scrolls like knightrider) and that prevents a bag being placed there.

attach the light to the bag?

Just thinking outside the bar, I mean box, here.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I used to have both but then I don't suffer from the height disorders you lot seem to have
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That translates to - ruin the knightrider thing I've got going on with my bike. Its like me asking you to not to wear red when out on the Prince. It just won't do...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I used to have both but then I don't suffer from the height disorders you lot seem to have

Yeah, well, at least we don't bang our heads on bridges!

Ha!

That got you! :P
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    Greg66 wrote:

Let me put it too you like this, it's winter, it's dark and it's wet. You have white bar tape and a puncture...

Besides I've watched CSI...

OK. This is turning into Confessions of the Double Tart Jash.

White bar tape.

Thin rubber gloves.

How do you stop the hem of your dress getting all filthy in the puddles...? :twisted:

*tuts.

Greg greg greg, have a read of this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14734316

White bar tape is practically regulation.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Get another lock for work, leave it behind

Thought about this, it would involve unlocking the bike and then taking the lock with bike upstairs to put the D-lock in my office = hassle. The D-lock is the single heaviest thing in my bag.

Why not just leave the lock locked to the bike rack/whatever you lock the bike to? It's not going to get nicked...
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thought about this, it would involve unlocking the bike and then taking the lock with bike upstairs to put the D-lock in my office = hassle. The D-lock is the single heaviest thing in my bag.

OK...think about this, go on...you know you can do it :) ......Right, you leave your bike locked somewhere, no one steals your bike, and no one minds it being there. So ask yourself this question.....

What could I leave where I lock my bike, so I don't have to take my lock upstairs to the office?

ps The answer is in the question

BINGO!
    Lock your lock to whatever you lock your bike to....No one will steal it, what's the point of breaking a lock to get a broken lock off?? :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg66 wrote:

Let me put it too you like this, it's winter, it's dark and it's wet. You have white bar tape and a puncture...

White bar tape.

Thin rubber gloves.

How do you stop the hem of your dress getting all filthy in the puddles...? :twisted:

*tuts.

I have seen that before. Very good stuff. Although rule 52 is bit de trop, IMO.

Not sure that abiding by those rules dilutes your tartiness jash, or is the point that tartiness is A Good Thing :wink: ?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • snooks
    biondino wrote:

Why not just leave the lock locked to the bike rack/whatever you lock the bike to? It's not going to get nicked...

Why couldn't you have typed that 2 mins later :(

:wink:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • il_principe
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

White bar tape.

Thin rubber gloves.

*tuts.

Not sure that abiding by those rules dilutes your tartiness jash, or is the point that tartiness is A Good Thing :wink:?

In a nutshell, yes, unashamedly yes. You think the bikes bad you she see my latest Duchamp shirt tie combo...
  • DonDaddyD
    snooks wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

OK...think about this, go on...you know you can do it :) ......Right, you leave your bike locked somewhere, no one steals your bike, and no one minds it being there. So ask yourself this question.....

What could I leave where I lock my bike, so I don't have to take my lock upstairs to the office?

ps The answer is in the question

BINGO!
    Lock your lock to whatever you lock your bike to....No one will steal it, what's the point of breaking a lock to get a broken lock off?? :D

<< Slaps forehead and considers his own stupidity.. >>

Ok I'm going to leave my lock at work. If my lock is stolen (and that wouldn't surprise me in Camberwell) you all owe me a new £60 lock.
    Food Chain number = 4

• snooks
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    << Slaps forehead and considers his own stupidity.. >>

Ok I'm going to leave my lock at work. If my lock is stolen (and that wouldn't surprise me in Camberwell) you all owe me a new £60 lock.

If they want your lock they'd have had it by now :wink:

And if they really want it maybe you'll be very lucky and they leave your bike behind :D....hehehe
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

White bar tape.

Thin rubber gloves.

*tuts.

Not sure that abiding by those rules dilutes your tartiness jash, or is the point that tartiness is A Good Thing :wink: ?

I've got white bar tape on my Scott. It looks the business. I don't go any faster, but it matches the white on the club kit and also picks out the white decals on the frame.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ok, I look like a tramp.

Today, like everyday I iron my work clothes (shirt, trousers and jumper - :twisted: yes my girlfriend should do this :twisted: - or at least it would be nice - but she can't iron, I should have enquired about this when we started dated... :roll: ).

I then fold my work clothes into flat and neat parcels before placing them into my rucksack (this is where I'm going wrong). I then put rucksack on my back and cycle about 8miles to work (I think its 8miles the cold weather has destroyed my cycle computer - except for the speedo).

By the time I get to work my clothes look like I do when I get dumped. Crumbled, dishevelled and hopeless. For the rest of the working day I look like a tramp.

So, a flat rectangle shaped top loading courier bag may be my saviour. My only fear, will I look like a fakenger if I have one. Yes, I'd rather look like a tramp at work and at meetings than a fakenger when cycling to and from work....

Any suggestions of courier/messenger bags would be appreciated.

...why can't she iron!? Rucksack will surely be ok for the job of carrying work clothes, worked for me. Although I didn't have to dress that smart...
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    biondino wrote:
    [Why not just leave the lock locked to the bike rack/whatever you lock the bike to? It's not going to get nicked...
    Does everyone just shuttle from home to work and back and never stop on the way? Sure you can leave the massive "strong enough to bind Prometheus" chain at work, but you'll still need to carry a cable and D-lock with you.
  • Hold on a minute. All this leave your lock where you lock your bike stuff is all well and good, indeed I used to do that when I left my bike at liverpool street.

However, I still had to carry a lock with me for when I wanted to lock my bike somewhere to go into a shop or pub. So I then decided it was a waste of time.

I now have a lighter but still solid lock and carry it with me.

Other than that, I would argue that I do travel light. Although the previous list was exhaustive, on non-gym kit days it's very rare that I have more than the following:

-handbag with wallet/phone/bberry/keys (TN - get a tiny handbag - stops the wallet going walkies)
    -Shirt/skirt/undies
    -lock
    -lights
    -allen keys
    -water bottle

OK?

However, today I have been xmas shopping. So it'll be a lot more than that.
  • one problem with panniers is the amount of stuff that does collect, not so much in the main body but in the side pockets etc, the tempation to take the kitchen sink because you can...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If I need to stop and lock the bike up (and let's face it, I'm not leaving the Focus out of sight for more than a couple of minutes) I'll take the lock with me. Otherwise, if I need to get dinner or whatever I'll make sure I do it in my lunch break.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    they won't nick the lock surely?? I thought they break them with a long crowbar or bolt croppers and pinch them with the bike cos they have fingerprints on them in case the rozzers bother to check
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • snooks
    rb1956 wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Does everyone just shuttle from home to work and back and never stop on the way? Sure you can leave the massive "strong enough to bind Prometheus" chain at work, but you'll still need to carry a cable and D-lock with you.

I just shuttle to and from work. If I'm out after work I'll leave the bike at home or at work. I do stop, but I'm usually sitting on the thing in front of a red light :)

I use my bikes for commuting, and leisure, but I wouldn't leave them locked on the street...I don't want them vandalised or nicked.
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Right, I've just skimmed through 6 pages of this nonsense so I think you lot needy a hand guide to how to carry your commuting baggage:

1. If your commute is very short and/or you don't carry much and/or you need to hop on and off your bike a lot and/or you are a complete and utter fakenger tart - choose a messenger bag

2. If you ride a MTB which you actually ride off road for long distances and therefore need to keep your baggage out of the mud - choose a rucsac

3. otherwise use your bloody head and get a pannier

All opinions welcome but clearly if you disagree you are a complete fecking eedjit.

And yes, I have been out to a long lunch today

I thank you

J
  • jedster wrote:
    Right, I've just skimmed through 6 pages of this nonsense so I think you lot needy a hand guide to how to carry your commuting baggage:

1. If your commute is very short and/or you don't carry much and/or you need to hop on and off your bike a lot and/or you are a complete and utter fakenger tart - choose a messenger bag

2. If you ride a MTB which you actually ride off road for long distances and therefore need to keep your baggage out of the mud - choose a rucsac

All opinions welcome but clearly if you disagree you are a complete fecking eedjit.

I thank you

J

:lol::lol::lol:
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Leaving your lock behind isn't a great idea IMO. It gives a thief chance to see if they can get it open with tools quickly, who can then come back and confidently steal your bike, and it gives 'rascals' chance to destroy your lock just for the joy of inconveniencing someone and costing you money.

Or it might be fine :|
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • jedster wrote:

I thank you

J

Aha, the voice of reason.

Btw, I'm with Jash on the thin rubber gloves and I'm not in the slightest bit tarty (hence the panniers :D ). Getting oil and dirt out from under your nails in a nightmare. Far more fun to play CSI and snap a pair of gloves on. (Once wore a pair to a fancy dress party and for some reason lots of the women shriked at the sight of them.... :twisted: Wellll I hadn't thought of their other use :oops: )
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • DonDaddyD
    If you're a childless young 20something with relative fitness and good looks would you by an Estate or People Carrier?

No.

So why on Earth would I convert my one and only bike into the domestic equivalent of a van?

Sure if I'm riding my bike well over 15miles I'd consider panniers. If riding with messenger bag or rucksack was uncomfortable and painful when riding my commuting distance I'd use panniers. I would have to have good reason to put panniers on any bike. In my right now I have none.

But most importantly I can't look at girls with Panniers on my bike, thats not cool. I can't go all freewheel and say "Hey there groovy chick" in a bad man accent. I won't look like the "Cycling god of Thunder" with panniers on the back of my bike. Whenever I get on my bike I must look like I'm preparred to ride to Tour de France.

When someone offers you Panniers, just say no!
    Food Chain number = 4

• linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    DDD,

Stop being so blinking vain.

If someone is going to fall irrevocably for you, it won't be because you don't have panniers on your bike. And if they do - run a mile, they are not worth it :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • DonDaddyD
    linsen wrote:
    DDD,

Stop being so blinking vain.

If someone is going to fall irrevocably for you, it won't be because you don't have panniers on your bike. And if they do - run a mile, they are not worth it :wink:

I know this. Same advice I'd give someone, you're not wrong. You're right.

I guess that now that I am loved and am in love, I can enjoy the shallow pleasures of vanity.
    Food Chain number = 4

• The simple answer is to get the messenger bag you lust after, and a part time job as a messenger. You have your 'cool' bag and you're not a fakenger...
  • DonDaddyD
    The simple answer is to get the messenger bag you lust after, and a part time job as a messenger. You have your 'cool' bag and you're not a fakenger...

Surprisingly enough I actually don't want to be a messenger. But when the recession hits the public sector (I suspect start of the financial year 2010) I may very well have to consider it....
    Food Chain number = 4