If I get a messenger bag will I become a fakenger?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    linsen wrote:
    DDD,

Stop being so blinking vain.

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Are they actually comfortable to use/wear - do they not swing around?! I am still in the good ol' days of a backpack and a sweaty back!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Are they actually comfortable to use/wear - do they not swing around?! I am still in the good ol' days of a backpack and a sweaty back!

Nothing "ol'" about them. Backpacks and sweaty backs are the choice of men/champions.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    My brand new, custom made PAC designs courier bag arrived in the UK a few days ago, according to Parcelforce. :)

So, customs duty paid online and I wait, with baited breath, for the bag to arrive just in time for Christmas. :D

Now, its a couple of days later and I hear locally that a Parcelforce van has been broken into and a number of parcels stolen. :(

Sod's law - its got to be hasn't it?? :cry:

All my digits are currently crossed for good news...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I wouldn't worry about being a fakenger you should be worried about the slippery slop to becoming a TART

MASSHOOF TART ALERT - MASSHOOF TART ALERT

Strawberry%2C_kiwi_and_blueberry_tart_by_rmkoske.jpg

Oi mods! not fair, cropping images like that.

It's okay people you can safely scroll to the right this time. :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    cjcp wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Nothing "ol'" about them. Backpacks and sweaty backs are the choice of men/champions.

I sport the backpack/sweaty back combination. As I do not come under the category of men, I guess that means I'm a champion :D
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    Did I say it was safe to scroll right? sorry I meant it's NOT safe to scroll right. I was confused, well someone is confused :shock:

3116336227_334508a764_o.jpg

Down a bit down, that's it...

Let that be a lesson to you all, wearing the wrong cycling shorts can cause irreversible damage.

Gives a whole new meaning to the aero tuck :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    And people have a go at me for using the word sex or the phrase buckwild sex - which I think is just funny...

:roll:

Anyway, my new bag will be down to the choice of my parents. I'll let them decide between a rucksack or messenger bag.

I like the idea of a messenger bag though. Rucksack, a full one is less aerodynamic..... :oops:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Don't leave the choice to your parents. Parental units = what's easiest to buy. Answer: a rucksack.

Here's the cast iron, copper bottomed, solid gold (enough metals?) reason to get a messenger back: they do move around a bit when you ride.

To right them, you just put you right hand towards being in a half Nelson and give them a nudge back into place from time to time.

Now, gather round, listen carefully, and I'll tell you how to use this to your advantage. I don't tell everyone this, so don't pass it on.

A second or two after you've ripped the still beating heart from your prey, whilst easing back onto the cyclists' line on the road, and without breaking your pedal stroke, you oh-so-casually reach back and give your bag a small positional correction.

There's nothing quite like inflicting a mortal wound, and then saying "Look, I can do that with one hand. And the other behind my back." :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    Thing is the rucksack I recommended is from Evans and the messenger bag is from the net. My Mum is addicted to ebay, amazon and all other shopping websites - especially if they appear (they don't actually have to be) cheaper than retail stores. My Mum buys all the X-mas presents, my Dad tends to hand over his share of the cash.

I'm gambling that this logic will mean my Mum will see the email I sent see the website and think "fun" and get me the messenger bag. If not and I get a rucksack I'll get the messenger bag soon after... :wink:

Reading the above you wouldn't think I'm entering my late 20s... :oops:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wow, I had always presumed ou were entering our late 50's :wink:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:
    Don't leave the choice to your parents. Parental units = what's easiest to buy. Answer: a rucksack.

Here's the cast iron, copper bottomed, solid gold (enough metals?) reason to get a messenger back: they do move around a bit when you ride.

To right them, you just put you right hand towards being in a half Nelson and give them a nudge back into place from time to time.

Now, gather round, listen carefully, and I'll tell you how to use this to your advantage. I don't tell everyone this, so don't pass it on.

A second or two after you've ripped the still beating heart from your prey, whilst easing back onto the cyclists' line on the road, and without breaking your pedal stroke, you oh-so-casually reach back and give your bag a small positional correction.

There's nothing quite like inflicting a mortal wound, and then saying "Look, I can do that with one hand. And the other behind my back." :twisted:

:lol: yeah I do that

oh and never ever leave a choice of importance to your parents...never. especially when it's cycling/sport specific... if anyone else gets me any cycling stuff at all (that I'll use) it's directly from a link I've sent them or it's condor vouchers
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thing is the rucksack I recommended is from Evans and the messenger bag is from the net. My Mum is addicted to ebay, amazon and all other shopping websites - especially if they appear (they don't actually have to be) cheaper than retail stores. My Mum buys all the X-mas presents, my Dad tends to hand over his share of the cash.

I'm gambling that this logic will mean my Mum will see the email I sent see the website and think "fun" and get me the messenger bag. If not and I get a rucksack I'll get the messenger bag soon after... :wink:

DDD, you know evans have a website too, right? If your mum is a cany interweb shopper she may well be able to find that... which would be more fun than just clicking a link...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

DDD, you know evans have a website too, right? If your mum is a cany interweb shopper she may well be able to find that... which would be more fun than just clicking a link...

This is true. I'm worried now. I'm going to re-send my editted X-mas list.

(Also my girlfriend may not be buying me Fulcrum Racing 7's :cry: )
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    And people have a go at me for using the word sex or the phrase buckwild sex - which I think is just funny...

Just so you don't perpetuate this misunderstanding, people have a go at you for *talking about* sex or *making claims* about sex, sex which you, in particular, are having. Nothing wrong with the word "sex".
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Just so you don't perpetuate this misunderstanding, people have a go at you for *talking about* sex or *making claims* about sex, sex which you, in particular, are having. Nothing wrong with the word "sex".

An accusation overblown to prove your blindly self righteous point. I don't talk about sex in any great detail and I only used the phrase I had sex today as a tool to express how little I cared about another topic unrelated to commuting.

It was the phrase buckwild sex that sent you all high horsed-pitch forky and witch hunty... But I find it ironic you claim my posts make the site unreadable whereas you have nothing to offer the actual topic but to cast your almighty judgements.

My point, is that I cannot understand how a comment about sex, or the sexual act devoid of any vulgar terms can be anymore offensive than the full frontal nudity of a fat man with no ding dong. Let alone some of the other things said or discussed on this site. (all of which don't offend me).
    BUT ANYWAY!

If anyone has any suggestions of messenger bags in the £40-£80 region and links this would be most grateful!
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    No, it was "I had sex today" that inspired my comment. It was that singular piece of completely unnecessary bragging which broke the camel's back.

Do you honestly not understand that revealing and intimate portraits of areas of your private life can be distasteful/sleazy/good ol' tmi in a way that innuendo or flirting or even dumb pictures aren't? Why can't you grasp this? Enough people have commented that they don't like it - yes, sure, it's a free world, post what you like, but expect criticism if it's perceived as being beyond the pale.

WE DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU DO IN THE BEDROOM. That's all.
  • biondino wrote:
    No, it was "I had sex today" that inspired my comment. It was that singular piece of completely unnecessary bragging which broke the camel's back.

+1

I'm sure you don't mean to be offensive DDD, but I'm in agreement with biondino on this one.
  • itboffin
    Has or does anyone use a post office mail bag, those things look MASSHOOF, surely they must be comfortable as well...?
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Indeed to all the above. I can't believe it's all kicked off AGAIN :roll:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:

How odd I was only watching danger mouse yesterday, spooky

No comment :roll:
  • linsen wrote:
    You join us on day 67 of the hostage crisis. The sides remain deadlocked...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

BUT ANYWAY!

If anyone has any suggestions of messenger bags in the £40-£80 region and links this would be most grateful!

here?
    Specialized Tricross SS FCN 4
    GT Zaskar FCN 10
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    I recommend my Knog Messenger bag actually. £50.
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:

BUT ANYWAY!

here?

Interesting but far to much like hard work, perhaps I could get the children at my daughters school to make them. It's okay for under 5's to use an iron, right?
  • DonDaddyD
    edited December 2008
    biondino wrote:
    No, it was "I had sex today" that inspired my comment.

Right, so why did you post your protest in the SCR thread when I wrote the blasphemous"I had sex today" in the Near miss thread?

Just to clarify: Your initial reaction to all this was in relation to this post:
    DondaddyD wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    I had (another) slow and uncomfortable ride in this morning.

However, I did A Good Thing.

I espied a damsel in distress - walking along the Embankment carrying her bike and looking pretty miserable. So I stopped, asked if she needed help. To which she dejectedly replied that she had flatted, her hubby had swiped one of her spare inners and the other one she had just discovered was the wrong size.

So I gave her one.

Of my spare inners. Her little face lit up. 'Twas a joy to behold, especially so close to Christmastime.

Ahhhhhhhhh...

And
    Greg T wrote:
    That'll teach her.

She won't do that again.

The last time I stopped for a burd with a flat - I refused to accept "payment" and got a hug instead.

I need to work on my game as other Greg is clearly supassing me in this field.

My new mission in life.

To ride around the Streets of London armed with a bag full of spare inner tubes looking for girl-cyclists in need of help....

<< sings his own theme song >>

In fact Greg T giving up your current job and taking this up may increase your chances of experiencing The Fabled Buckwild Sex....

Did I mention that Geoff Johns is no longer writing JSA!?! :cry:

A banter between friends my comment about having buckwild sex (above) followed the context of a conversation, which didn't have anything to do with you.

You followed with this post.
    Biondino wrote:
    AAARGH SHUT UP ABOUT THE SEX

Which I think (not acknowledging you singling me out) is hugely unreasonable.
    Biondino wrote:
    It was that singular piece of completely unnecessary bragging which broke the camel's back.

I shall try to explain this one final time as I have done so several times. I wasn't bragging about having sex I was using it as a way of expressing how unimportant I found the debate surrounding what near miss actually meant. I've explained this several times now.

I've explained this:
    Here
    I wrote:
    The word sex. The phrase I had sex today (which was being used as a mechanism to express the fact that I really didn't care about what near miss actually meant).

And

Here
    I wrote:
    only used the phrase I had sex today as a tool to express how little I cared about another topic unrelated to commuting.

I've even explained it when I posted the f*cking thing you sanctimonious complete expletive deleted. Here is what I actually wrote:
    I wrote:
    I had sex today.

I just want to throw that out there.... Mostly to establish that I'm still cool and reaffirm that this doesn't matter.

Anyway...

IT WAS A JOKE and in no way goes into any great detail about what I do in my bedroom so stop, dismount the horse, lay down your pitch fork and torch and stop preaching.
    Biondino wrote:
    Do you honestly not understand that revealing and intimate portraits of areas of your private life can be distasteful/sleazy/good ol' tmi in a way that innuendo or flirting or even dumb pictures aren't? Why can't you grasp this?

Wow, when you overexaggerate you really spread it thick don't you?

FFS what I said wasn't even graphic.

Explain to me how the free flowing comment "I had sex today" equates to revealing the intimate details of my private life. People have sex, I didn't say anything graphic what I wrote is devoid of anything descript and you are all in uprorar? Get a hold of yourselves.

Maybe what I said is the most intimate thing in YOUR private life but mine is actually, I'm proud to say, unspeakable.

Really "I had sex today" is nothing in the grand scheme of things and if it bothers you that much, step outside and engage in the real world. There are far worse things of a sexual nature seen in real life and said on this website.

If you can prove with example of where I have revealed intimate portraits of my private life I'll begin to understand your point. An off the cuff remark of "I had sex today" followed buy the explanation - stressing that two pages arguing over what near miss means doesn't matter - isn't one of them.
    Biondino wrote:
    Enough people have commented that they don't like it - yes, sure, it's a free world, post what you like, but expect criticism if it's perceived as being beyond the pale.

AND
    LiT wrote:
    +1

I'm sure you don't mean to be offensive DDD, but I'm in agreement with biondino on this one.

Put the pitch forks down.

Where have I revealed anything in great detail about what I do in my bedroom?

What exactly do you know of my bedroom antics? Fact is you don't know what I do in the bedroom. You've got yourself all excited about one little phrase without actually having a point.

I had sex today isn't letting you know what I do in the bedroom, I mean obviously of course people have sex in their bedrooms....

How do you even know I did it in my bedroom?
    Linsen wrote:
    Indeed to all the above. I can't believe it's all kicked off AGAIN

Your stance I find hypocritical.

It kicked off because I can't understand how a picture of a naked man with no ding dong on a cycling thread is less offensive than the comment I made in the Near miss thread.

I find your stance hypocritical becasue your problem with my posts are that they are too blatant. However, I don't see how text is more offensive than a picture containing full frontal nudity - Not that I have a problem with the image, I just raised the point. Thus Biondino felt vindicated in reiterating his point.

I don't see how you can claim my posts (such as the examples above) are offensive and images and posts of other aren't.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

BUT ANYWAY!

here?

Thank you.
    Ryan B wrote:
    I recommend my Knog Messenger bag actually.£50.

do you have a link to the bag?
    Food Chain number = 4

• RyanB

Mine was one of the Knog "Forte" bags bought through Wiggle, but I've just checked their webside there (for the link) and it appears to be no longer available. Odd.
  • RyanB

I tell a lie. Its actually this one I have.

http://www.knog.com.au/Product.aspx?productId=234
  • DonDaddyD
    RyanB wrote:

Mine was one of the Knog "Forte" bags bought through Wiggle, but I've just checked their webside there (for the link) and it appears to be no longer available. Odd.

This one?

http://www.cycleshopping.co.uk/acatalog ... r_Bag.html

Does it have a stablising strap?
    Food Chain number = 4