Dragon Ride Wales 2009

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I'm a little nervous about this event. Did the Medio last year and the 70 mile North Cornwall Tor two years running. BUT have never attempted the 100 mile barrier until my attempt in a couple of weeks. Training going well at the moment but I'm usually spent after 70 miles. Looking forward to breaking 100 mile barrier. Any advice on the big step between 70 miles and 100 miles+ ?

The "most difficult" climbs are included in the medio as well, so you have nothing to fear...
    Only advice I can give you is to take the first half easy, stay on someone's wheel in a bunch. Then, after the second feeding zone, see how you feel...
    If you've done 70 miles, you can do 100...
    All in all it's a good one to try your first 100+, as it's quite an easy sportive with no real asperities...
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    Was that word of the day?

I'm in a similar locus- only done 120K on my own seeking out Surrey hills. I'm hoping that with a bunch I'll be OK to make the full distance, because knowing my brain, I'm probably going to try. Unless it's proper Welsh weather.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

I'm in a similar locus- only done 120K on my own seeking out Surrey hills. I'm hoping that with a bunch I'll be OK to make the full distance, because knowing my brain, I'm probably going to try. Unless it's proper Welsh weather.

Last year I did the 70 miler, because we started very late due to startline congestion and because the rumour was of a very hilly course... I ended up doing the last 10 miles at 25 mph, that tells you how tired I was... for some reason the Dragon Ride is believed to be the UK equivalend of "la Marmotte" but it's nowhere near that. There are three main climbs (Bwlch, Rhigos and Bwlch again), which are gentle, with gradients hardly ever going over 6%, except very short sections. There are minor climbs, but nothing particularly steep or hard. Beside clearly flat routes like the Manchester 100, it's probably the easiest sportive in the UK. In addition, it's very crowded, so you will always find someone's wheel to stick to.
    If you manage to get there early and are lucky enough to start before 9.30, it's worth having a go at the all course... I regretted having done the 70 miler only...
    left the forum March 2023
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Nickwill wrote:
    bprice wrote:
    RichA wrote:
    Anyone know when the start packs/chips/instructions are being sent out?
    Between now and Friday according to their website.

Mine arrived today. So they are being sent out.

+1

Got mine yesterday too..
  • ledburyloafer
    ledburyloafer Posts: 126

Last year I did the 70 miler, because we started very late due to startline congestion and because the rumour was of a very hilly course... I ended up doing the last 10 miles at 25 mph, that tells you how tired I was... for some reason the Dragon Ride is believed to be the UK equivalend of "la Marmotte" but it's nowhere near that. There are three main climbs (Bwlch, Rhigos and Bwlch again), which are gentle, with gradients hardly ever going over 6%, except very short sections. There are minor climbs, but nothing particularly steep or hard. Beside clearly flat routes like the Manchester 100, it's probably the easiest sportive in the UK. In addition, it's very crowded, so you will always find someone's wheel to stick to.
    If you manage to get there early and are lucky enough to start before 9.30, it's worth having a go at the all course... I regretted having done the 70 miler only...

the above does sum it up, forget the distance, take the climbs at your pace, there are so many riders that you can pick up a group almost anywhere to ride with. It really is a fast courrse to ride.
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    'for some reason the Dragon Ride is believed to be the UK equivalend of "la Marmotte'

Never heard anyone claim that before, what the Dragon Ride does offer is the longer steady climbs that the French events like the Etape and Marmotte take to much higher and longer levels.

It is the the only UK Sportive that I have found that offers such steady longer climbs. I remember at breakfast on the day of the Dragon Ride a few years ago one guy getting quite stroppy when a few of us were agreeing that there was 'nothing steep' ahead of us he was expecting a more savage and steeper event. Last weeks TOW was an extremely hard but great event and had a couple of quite steep climbs but in character none of the 3 days offered the same type of challenge that the Dragon offers.

Thankfully our growing offer of UK sportives is varied and the challenges posed quite different.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I did it for the first time last year and found it hard in places.

But yesterday I did the Bwlch and Rhigos and they were far far easier than I remember. The reverse Blwch is no harder, just much longer.

I also took in Aberdare/Maerdy mountain yesterday. From the Aberdare side. Now THAT is a killer. a 16% section for around 1/2 km followed by a 8/10% section for another km or so. IF that was in the ride I'd always plump for the medio. Ditto Cymmer/Porth hill. As it stands the climbs are not difficult. The climb out of Neath is probably the most annoying!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bprice
    bprice Posts: 61
    Becareful on the second descent of the Bwlch back to Nantymoel and the Ogmore valley.
    Rocks often fall off the escarpment to the right and land onto the road. I was unlucky enough today to come into contact with one which resulted in a puncture to my front tyre.
    A couple of years ago a guy on one of our rides came off because of rocks/stones lying in the road.
  • bendertherobot
    bprice wrote:
    Becareful on the second descent of the Bwlch back to Nantymoel and the Ogmore valley.
    Rocks often fall off the escarpment to the right and land onto the road. I was unlucky enough today to come into contact with one which resulted in a puncture to my front tyre.
    A couple of years ago a guy on one of our rides came off because of rocks/stones lying in the road.

Sorry chap, the sheer pace of my ascent yesterday must have caused that!
  • Droops
    Droops Posts: 204
    Good point, bprice. I've also seen rocks on that section of road.
    You also need to be a little careful coming down off the Rhigos, past the open cast mine. The road, particularly towards the edges, is a bit ropey and can give you quite a jolt in places. On the Dragon there will be 'strength in numbers' so it'll probably be OK to ride well away from the edges.
  • bendertherobot
    Droops wrote:
    You also need to be a little careful coming down off the Rhigos, past the open cast mine. The road, particularly towards the edges, is a bit ropey and can give you quite a jolt in places. On the Dragon there will be 'strength in numbers' so it'll probably be OK to ride well away from the edges.

Yep. It's pretty good most of the way down. But on the long "straight" there are some sections of rough tarmac which can be a pain.

For me the worst sections of road are going to be the 12 miles added to the start. Llanharran is very buzzy, Llantrisant forest not great and Gilfach-Blackmill downright annoying.
  • bprice
    Droops wrote:
    Broke my own speed record on the Straight towards the lower end of the Rhigos a few weeks ago. 47 mph :evil: . A guy in our group hit 50!
  • bprice
    Droops wrote:

Yep. It's pretty good most of the way down. But on the long "straight" there are some sections of rough tarmac which can be a pain.

For me the worst sections of road are going to be the 12 miles added to the start. Llanharran is very buzzy, Llantrisant forest not great and Gilfach-Blackmill downright annoying.
    Did Gilfach to Blackmill in reverse yesterday. That was after climbing Maerdy(not on the Dragon route) Rhigos and Bwlch. The climbs to Gilfach felt like walls. Its a good job that its the other way!!
  • desdeadly
    desdeadly Posts: 48
    I have received my riders pack inc chip and also a jersey and bib short.
    I must say the 'kit' is great looking and very good quality
  • bendertherobot
    bprice wrote:
    Did Gilfach to Blackmill in reverse yesterday. That was after climbing Maerdy(not on the Dragon route) Rhigos and Bwlch. The climbs to Gilfach felt like walls. Its a good job that its the other way!!

I'm not surprised. I did that route on Friday, more or less. I take it you did Maerdy from the Aberdare side? If they ever add that to the Dragon I ain't doing it!
  • bprice
    bprice wrote:

I'm not surprised. I did that route on Friday, more or less. I take it you did Maerdy from the Aberdare side? If they ever add that to the Dragon I ain't doing it!
    No, from Maerdy. The route on the day was Cardiff - Ponty - Ynysybwll - Llanwonno forest (climb) - Ferndale - Mardy (climb) - Rhigos (climb) - Bwlch (climb) - Nantymoel - Blackmill - Glynllan, Hendreforgan (climbs) - Talbot Green - Groesfaen - Cardiff.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,029
    I did the new Llantrisant Forest bit the other day to see what it is like.
    It was very nice, I was on my own and saw no one.

However, it struck me that with 3000 other cyclists and the road being open to other users (?), this could be a major bottle neck. The surface is quite poor in places and the edges of the narrow lane quite loose and rough.

I couldn't help thinking that this could be quite a bottle neck, especially for those looking for fast times, and clubs cycling in large groups kean to push the pace. I know that the event is not a race, but there will always be people who will treat it as one.

Just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on this section?
  • bendertherobot
    I did the new Llantrisant Forest bit the other day to see what it is like.
    It was very nice, I was on my own and saw no one.

However, it struck me that with 3000 other cyclists and the road being open to other users (?), this could be a major bottle neck. The surface is quite poor in places and the edges of the narrow lane quite loose and rough.

I couldn't help thinking that this could be quite a bottle neck, especially for those looking for fast times, and clubs cycling in large groups kean to push the pace. I know that the event is not a race, but there will always be people who will treat it as one.

Just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on this section?

Aye. You might be right. The bonus is that the road is actually closed as far as I know. So we can bomb around it happily. It is poorly surfaced though.

I'm not really sure of the added miles. I understand it was a reaction to the Blackmill lights incident. That could have been easily sorted by making us do Llangeinor on the outward stretch. I'd rather that sharp climb than all this going out of the way. As it stands there are several junctions where we could see issues. Llantrisant Forest, coming out of Stanleytown over the bypass to Gilfach. And we STILL have to obey the lights at Blackmill albeit on level ground rather than a 10% gradient.
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    edited June 2009
    I'm quite looking forward to this event now - I was feeling a little apprehensive of tackling the Grand Fondo as my first sportive despite knowing the area (I grew up and lived in/around Bridgend) and having horrid memories of getting around the Pont-y-Cymer/Llangeinor hills on a BSA Javlin! Now, having checked my Garmin trace for a day in Majorca last year, things don't seem so daunting.

I discovered that the 107 mile ride last year including the climbs to Lluc, the Soller Pass and Puig Major (16kms of 6.7%) totalled approx 8500ft of climbs and I managed that in 7hr 45mins so it's still all systems go for a crack at the Grand Fondo as planned.
  • bendertherobot
    Weather looks ok for this now. Gran it is then!
  • pauln99
    pauln99 Posts: 76
    Has anyone got a Garmin 705 compatible file of the 2009 route?

Cheers

Paul
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    +1 for a Garmin compatible route/course please
  • Mad One
    Mad One Posts: 82
    +1 here too - Anyone know where I can get one?
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    pauln99 wrote:
    Has anyone got a Garmin 705 compatible file of the 2009 route?

Cheers

Paul

I spoke with the organisers recently and unless you use Mapsource, they haven't got one. And Garmin doesn't really work very well with Mapsource. You could try and create your own in something like BikeRouteToaster, after checking out the not so great diagram on the website.
  • Sparklehorse
    Sparklehorse Posts: 126
    Will the signs be good then if no gpx file? Any experiences of signage from previous years?
  • Mad One
    Mad One Posts: 82
    sampras38 wrote:
    I spoke with the organisers recently and unless you use Mapsource, they haven't got one. And Garmin doesn't really work very well with Mapsource. You could try and create your own in something like BikeRouteToaster, after checking out the not so great diagram on the website.

Does anyone else think thats a bit of a poor show? How many people do you see on sportives with a 705?

Anyway - yes the diagram on the website is 'not so great' but I've had a go anyway - heres the best I've come up with http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=56435 - Its about as good as I could get it from the info available!
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Will the signs be good then if no gpx file? Any experiences of signage from previous years?
    I've done the Dragon for the last couple of years, and the signage was excellent, no problem at all.
  • I have the 80 miler for Garmin 705 in tcx or gpx format.

Drop me an email
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Droops
    Droops Posts: 204
    I agree with Topcattim, the signage was very good last year and also the marshalling was excellent IMO. If all else fails you can always follow 2999 other bikes :wink:
    Chapeau to the guys and guyesses who give up their Sunday to marshall.
  • bendertherobot
    Mad One wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

Does anyone else think thats a bit of a poor show? How many people do you see on sportives with a 705?

Anyway - yes the diagram on the website is 'not so great' but I've had a go anyway - heres the best I've come up with http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=56435 - Its about as good as I could get it from the info available!

Bang on that, as far as I can see. BUT I think we go through Coedely itself on quiet roads rather than the yellow roads you have on there. It runs parralel so it's not a big issue.