Dragon Ride Wales 2009

Comments

• Personally I don't care about a meal at the end or "goodie bags". Well stocked feed stations are a must though and the Dragon has previously fallen seriously short on this front.

Good marshalling, sign age and a most of all a decent route are a must, and to be fair apart from the start, the organisers do a pretty decent job of this.

The thing that grieves me most this year is the non-posting of entrances. It's going to be such a shambles on the Sunday morning with everyone queuing to get their chips and numbers.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Personally I don't care about a meal at the end or "goodie bags". Well stocked feed stations are a must though and the Dragon has previously fallen seriously short on this front.

Good marshalling, sign age and a most of all a decent route are a must, and to be fair apart from the start, the organisers do a pretty decent job of this.

The thing that grieves me most this year is the non-posting of entrances. It's going to be such a shambles on the Sunday morning with everyone queuing to get their chips and numbers.

Personally I think the meal at the end is far more important than food at the feed stops.
    I can manage easily carryiong enough food to do 120 miles and have done a few times though abroad for hot events stopped for water refil. Hoever at the end it is important for recovery to have a decent meal and goody bag with rubbish is does not suffice.
    Even a recovery drink or smoothie would be better, but a lot of continental events have pasta,chicken, lots of drinks (lots from drink sponsors) all free.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Personally I don't care about a meal at the end or "goodie bags". Well stocked feed stations are a must though and the Dragon has previously fallen seriously short on this front.

Personally I think the meal at the end is far more important than food at the feed stops.
    I can manage easily carryiong enough food to do 120 miles and have done a few times though abroad for hot events stopped for water refil. Hoever at the end it is important for recovery to have a decent meal and goody bag with rubbish is does not suffice.
    Even a recovery drink or smoothie would be better, but a lot of continental events have pasta,chicken, lots of drinks (lots from drink sponsors) all free.

I've become quite wary of sitting eating in a room full of other riders after sportives. It can be a sure fire way of catching germs when your immune system is lowered. Somewhere to get a hot drink is enough for me, followed by a stop for something to eat on my way home.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Nickwill wrote:
    I've become quite wary of sitting eating in a room full of other riders after sportives. It can be a sure fire way of catching germs when your immune system is lowered. Somewhere to get a hot drink is enough for me, followed by a stop for something to eat on my way home.

I think that may be something of an over-statement. I have sat in many road race changing rooms over the years with 59 other shagged-out cyclists and assorted hangers-on. Don't remember ever catching anything...
  • oldwelshman
    Nickwill wrote:

Interesting :D That means that the riders rode whilst they had infection? I don't normally ride when ill so you would not catch anything from me in a room as I would not have anything contagious.
    I do not know any one who rides sportives when ill and certainly not road races.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    If you want something to aid recovery, take your own preferred brand of recovery drink. It is all well and good saying a meal perhaps should be provided, but what about some of us that perhaps do not want to eat straight after an event, having a meal at the end would push the entry fee up even more. I take enough food with me, and make sure I have recovery drinks back in the car for when I finish.

Fees are generally higher in the UK, as things are generally more expensive, like insurances, HQ hiring fees and such like. If an event is too expensive, just don't enter.

To put in in perspective, at the weekend I will pay £20 to enter a closed circuit race of 30KM, the cost of a big sportive is peanuts in relation to this. Then again I did a nice sportive that cost £8 at the weekend, but the checkpoints did not have any food, unless you wanted to buy some.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Rode the new route yesterday (well a bit of it).

The new loop that takes you to Blackmill is a serious leg warmer. As I expected (I did it cold at 9 am) the fire station forest WILL warm you up. The climb to Gilfach WIILL warm you up. But you also get around 3 nice descents before you get to Blackmill and have to climb up the valley.

A few points though. The roads through the forest are rubbish. There is very likely to be a wet patch as you exit so those White shorts wearers will need to slow down ;)

The road from Gilfach to Blackmill is very buzzy indeed. Possibly the worst of the surfaces on the event. And I got a rear puncture there yesterday which curtailed my day.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • oldwelshman
    SBezza wrote:
    If you want something to aid recovery, take your own preferred brand of recovery drink. It is all well and good saying a meal perhaps should be provided, but what about some of us that perhaps do not want to eat straight after an event, having a meal at the end would push the entry fee up even more. I take enough food with me, and make sure I have recovery drinks back in the car for when I finish.

Fees are generally higher in the UK, as things are generally more expensive, like insurances, HQ hiring fees and such like. If an event is too expensive, just don't enter.

To put in in perspective, at the weekend I will pay £20 to enter a closed circuit race of 30KM, the cost of a big sportive is peanuts in relation to this. Then again I did a nice sportive that cost £8 at the weekend, but the checkpoints did not have any food, unless you wanted to buy some.
    £20 for a race? Is that a day licence? :D All the races I do are £12 to £15 for bcf or £8 for lvrc.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I was wondering if it would be better to use my tourer (Mercian) or my sportive set up Trek, I'm not going to be setting any times of interest I'm more concerned with my own comfort.

Lightweight steel frame & forks with 27 x1 1/4 wheels with 32 tyres and a nice low 85psi

Thx
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bendertherobot
    Well, that's excellent news. No pre event reg needed now. Timing chips being sent out.
  • Aye, just had the email. Bit of a change of plan that! Wonder if they've listened to the feedback?
  • bendertherobot
    extremepig wrote:
    Aye, just had the email. Bit of a change of plan that! Wonder if they've listened to the feedback?

Probably, and also, perhaps, doing the pre reg on that "road" might be a bit more tricky than at the college, though it is the better start.

Ah well, I can't saunter the 400 yards over the road to pre reg now. :D
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    Great news, thanks DM. Another hour in bed on Sunday morning!! :-D
  • Yeah well pleased with that news. Well done organisers!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    For anyone that's done this sportive before, where would you recommend parking? I'm staying in a B&B about 12 miles from the start and don't know the area at all.

Thanks
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    sampras38 wrote:
    For anyone that's done this sportive before, where would you recommend parking? I'm staying in a B&B about 12 miles from the start and don't know the area at all.

Thanks
    I've always parked on site at the start, arriving about 60 minutes before the start. Never had a problem getting parked.
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Last year there were long queues for parking though I think the area we parked in is being used for the start this time so things may be improved.

Certainly most riders seem to come by car and the tail back to the M4 was long so earlier the better.

There was a really long delay in starting last year as well with thousands lined up and just waiting luckily the sun was shining!
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    jhop wrote:
    Last year there were long queues for parking though I think the area we parked in is being used for the start this time so things may be improved.

Certainly most riders seem to come by car and the tail back to the M4 was long so earlier the better.

There was a really long delay in starting last year as well with thousands lined up and just waiting luckily the sun was shining!

sorry yes, I was being dopey when I posted my earlier message :oops: . Last year was indeed a bit of a hassle (to put it politely) re transport and parking - my "good parking" experiences were restricted to the site where they have started in previous years.
  • oldwelshman
    Plenty of places to park in Bridgend and ride to start.
    I had no issue last year as I saw tailback on M4 and went to next junction and went in the back way :D
    I have not enterred as I was unsure of job, lost my job, looks like I might have new one this week, so if I can get a ride fine, if not will just ride parts of it as training and take some pics of riders on the climbs :D
  • oldwelshman
    Actually I reckon the DM should give me a free ride as I got poisoned year before last drinking that stupid de greasing gel they gave out at the end of the ride :lol:
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Cheers all
  • bendertherobot
    Would it be fair to say that the best training for the Grand is to do the Medium? :D
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    Actually I reckon the DM should give me a free ride as I got poisoned year before last drinking that stupid de greasing gel they gave out at the end of the ride :lol:

Ha! - it did look a lot like a gel didn't it - have seen the stuff in packets in bike shops since and can easily imagine some unfortunate confusion :wink:
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283

Didn't that happen 2 years ago as well?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Anyone know when the start packs/chips/instructions are being sent out?
    Rich
  • bprice
    bprice Posts: 61
    RichA wrote:
    Between now and Friday according to their website.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Did the DM reply to requests for savoury food at the food stops?
  • I'm a little nervous about this event. Did the Medio last year and the 70 mile North Cornwall Tor two years running. BUT have never attempted the 100 mile barrier until my attempt in a couple of weeks. Training going well at the moment but I'm usually spent after 70 miles. Looking forward to breaking 100 mile barrier. Any advice on the big step between 70 miles and 100 miles+ ?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    bprice wrote:
    RichA wrote:

Mine arrived today. So they are being sent out.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    bprice wrote:
    RichA wrote:

Mine arrived today. So they are being sent out.

+1