Interesting clippy shoe incident

Comments

• Greg66 wrote:
    Best pedals: Eddy Merckx Podios. So good you can't buy them anywhere (they're good cos you can unclip and still pedal at full power without clipping back in - v useful in traffic).

Otherwise, Speedplay Zero Titaniums. I can say they're my second choice with conviction cos I've got an unused pair in the cupboard. Wanna try 'em out? I have read that the cleats need covers if you walk on them for amy distance.

There's a pair of podios for sale on Ebay, but they look like I might well require a special shoe, and a quote from another site turned up by the google implies that this might not be easy:
    I've never heard of any Merckx sponsored team riding them either. Matter of fact, the only person I've heard of riding these is the man himself.

And Greg66. :shock:

Thanks for the offer on the speedplays. Do you need special shoes for those as well? I'm presuming the answer is yes, but they might be easier to come by than the podio ones! Or can you attach the cleats to any shoe?

... checks google...

Oooh they're quite mad-looking aren't they? I like them!
  • Axel Merckx rides them too. Sometimes. I've got some of his spare pairs.

Yeah, you need a special shoe. Cos they have a special clear. Well, they would, wouldn't they?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    How easy is it to disengage from speedplay pedals? Can you disengage by pulling up as well like SPD's?

I keep thinking about going clipless but riding in London traffic sometimes means you have to suddenly stop and would need a sudden release.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I put speedplays on my road bike a few weeks ago, and have just about got used to them. Hated them at first, as it's clipping in that's so different - no toe in and push down, it's just a direct push down with a flat foot. Once you get used to it, I'm sure its easier than 'usual' cleats. Unclipping has been fine so far, but I've currently got them on fixed float, which I will change to allow some float once I've got used to them.

Cleats attach to usual 3 bolt shoes, and you can buy 'coffee shop' covers to allow a small degree of walking/hobbling in them...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Jen J wrote:
    Meh. Just had my first undignified dismount from the Bowery. Left SPD refused to unclip, but as it normally unclips so easily I carried on dismounting anyway. Ended up sat on the pavement cuddling the bike :(

*tries not to laugh*

*fails*

:lol:

Meh. Happened again, except this time at a busy pedestrian crossing rather than the quiet street outside my house.

This time I figured it was too much of a coincidence to be from even my clumsiness and actually looked at my shoe - sure enough one of the cleat bolts had come off, meaning there was unlimited float and limited release. Maybe I should have checked last night :oops:

Anyway, once I'd stopped laughing, I realized that the swollen lump of a bruise on my shin from the bike landing on it last night had just had the bike land on it again, and the side of my bottom that hit the ground last night had hit the ground again, and then as the icing on the cake, when I wheeled my bike along, the fixed pedals kept hitting the back of my other leg.

Meh.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    There was a pedal roundup in cycling+ a couple of months back. No real surprises: the top end Speedplay, Time and Look Keo models scored the highest. Duraace spd-sl were rated good but heavier than the other top end brands.
    Personally, I like my current Time pedals and shoes and would probably go that way next time - although the Mavic Huez shoes have caught my magpie eye ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Axel Merckx rides them too. Sometimes. I've got some of his spare pairs.

Yeah, you need a special shoe. Cos they have a special cleat. Well, they would, wouldn't they?

I think they may have meant Mr Merckx when they say 'the man himself' in the quote. You lawyers think you're so sharp... :wink:

Found some of the podio shoes (allegedly) on ebay - they look to have 3 threads right at the toe end - is that right? They don't look in any way like a cycling shoe - more like a pub shoe with holes in it. If I can haul my foot out of my current shoes they'll be useless.

Anyway. Unavailability of everything means they may not be a viable option.

Now these speedplay ones. I've read a write-up on them which is very positive. It mentions the counter-intuitive unclipping process as a drawback, and the lack of availability, but the positives seem to outweigh this.

They seem to fit any shoe with a 3- or 4-hole setup - is that the same with Look and Time ones?

And they maintain that they stick out from the sole of your shoe less than SPD-SLs, Look and Time.

True?
  • Jen J wrote:
    ...and then as the icing on the cake, when I wheeled my bike along, the fixed pedals kept hitting the back of my other leg.

Meh.

This, in my opinion, is possibly the single biggest drawback of riding fixed. Pushing a road bike with heavy panniers through a public place is hard enough without the damn thing attacking you. :roll:
  • Here's a link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vintage-PEDALS-ED ... 240%3A1318
    to the pedals (can't seem to embed this url). The style of cleat shown will fit pretty much any shoe with a three bolt pattern.

I (inevitably) use the older style of cleat which uses a proprietary bolt pattern and cuts down the choice of shoes considerably. The older cleat style has particular advantages, and I have a stock of shoes and cleats hoarded, so I'm OK.

Given how difficult they are to source, I can't really recommend them if only for that reason.
    Found some of the podio shoes (allegedly) on ebay - they look to have 3 threads right at the toe end - is that right? They don't look in any way like a cycling shoe - more like a pub shoe with holes in it. If I can haul my foot out of my current shoes they'll be useless.

Link? They shouldn't look like pub shoes. Go to www.eddymerckx.be and click Accessories. You'll see the shoes and pedals there. At least, the EM shoes. DMT made some (which I use) which have a recessed adaptor plate - change your pedals, change your adaptor plate. DMT don't make them anymore though. Italian ebay is my friend.
    Anyway. Unavailability of everything means they may not be a viable option.

Yeah. I can see that. If you'd like to try them out, PM me. If you can fit in a size 45 shoe, great, otherwise if you have a three bolt pattern shoe I've got those cleats in the ebay add so could mount them on some shoes for a spin.
    Now these speedplay ones. I've read a write-up on them which is very positive. It mentions the counter-intuitive unclipping process as a drawback, and the lack of availability, but the positives seem to outweigh this.

They seem to fit any shoe with a 3- or 4-hole setup - is that the same with Look and Time ones?

And they maintain that they stick out from the sole of your shoe less than SPD-SLs, Look and Time.

True?

Dunno, because mine are still sitting in the cupboard waiting to be used. I have heard: (a) the cleat can "foul" easily (ie get crap/mud in it and it's difficult to clip/unclip; (b) (a) is a myth; (c) they can be hard to unclip from; (d) (c) is a myth and/or is cured with Teflon lube sprayed on. Basic internet information, s'pose.

Pretty sure they're easy to mount. They may stick out less, but not by much. I remember thinking that there's a lot of metal in the cleat that would be in contact with the ground - ergo on a slippy surface (the mythical coffee shop floor) they could feel as if they had ball bearings under them. Jash is probably the person to ask.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Well, that's a pretty comprehensive response! Ta very much like...

My use of the word 'allegedly' in describing these shoes is because I can't believe anyone would really use them as cycling shoes. Also the adidas box is rather suspect...

http://cgi.ebay.com/EDDY-MERCKX-vintage ... 240%3A1318

Now, Jen, are the speedplay cleats like ice skates?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Unless you are actually racing I think these are all anyone needs.Easy to get in and out off and you can walk in the shoes.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shima ... 360027292/
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Greg66 wrote:

Yeah, you need a special shoe. Cos they have a special cleat. Well, they would, wouldn't they?

I think they may have meant Mr Merckx when they say 'the man himself' in the quote. You lawyers think you're so sharp... :wink:

Actually, maybe I do :wink: The Man Himself is Eddy. Axel is Eddy's son, who has either just retired or is about to retire. 8)

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Well, that's a pretty comprehensive response! Ta very much like...

My use of the word 'allegedly' in describing these shoes is because I can't believe anyone would really use them as cycling shoes. Also the adidas box is rather suspect...

http://cgi.ebay.com/EDDY-MERCKX-vintage ... 240%3A1318

Now, Jen, are the speedplay cleats like ice skates?

Those are *not* the right shoes. I think Eddy rode in Adidas shoes as a pro (I've read somewhere that the Podio pedals are based on an Adidas design). The shoes to go with the pedals are either the EM ones on the EM website or older models of DMT R3s or DMT Spitfires (see Italian ebay) which take the cleat adaptor (can also be viewed on my feet when I'm on a bike, which seems like a distant memory and a distant dream at the moment).

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • antfly wrote:
    Unless you are actually racing I think these are all anyone needs.Easy to get in and out off and you can walk in the shoes.

Hmmmmm yes, the 'easy to get in and out of' is exactly the problem that started this thread... :)

SPD-Rs? Are they now outdated and not manufactured any more?
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Actually, maybe I do :wink: The Man Himself is Eddy. Axel is Eddy's son, who has either just retired or is about to retire. 8)

Damn! :lol:
  • antfly
    antfly wrote:

Hmmmmm yes, the 'easy to get in and out of' is exactly the problem that started this thread... :)

SPD-Rs? Are they now outdated and not manufactured any more?

Yes but if I remember correctly it was your foot that came out of the shoe!
    They don`t take SPD-R`s they just work with your regular spd cleats and shoes.They are much better for the road than normal MTB pedals,I think.
  • Greg66 wrote:

Those are *not* the right shoes. I think Eddy rode in Adidas shoes as a pro (I've read somewhere that the Podio pedals are based on an Adidas design). The shoes to go with the pedals are either the EM ones on the EM website or older models of DMT R3s or DMT Spitfires (see Italian ebay) which take the cleat adaptor (can also be viewed on my feet when I'm on a bike, which seems like a distant memory and a distant dream at the moment).

Well I'm glad those aren't the shoes. They look rubbish.

According to the Speedplay website (oh yes I am busy today...not)
    Podio 1994
    A second design by the inventor of the original adidas System 3 clipless pedal. Sold under the Eddy Merckx marque. Slide in to enter and twist out to release. Required a proprietary shoe mounting pattern.

So there may well be something in the Adidas shoe after all. Not my foot though (see what I did there?).

This pedal stuff is all very interesting. I like to learn.
  • antfly wrote:

Yes but if I remember correctly it was your foot that came out of the shoe!
    They don`t take SPD-R`s they just work with your regular spd cleats and shoes.They are much better for the road than normal MTB pedals,I think.

It was, partially due to my tightening up the SPD pedal after pulling my shoe out of it.

I'm also getting a shiny new bike quite soon, and want shiny new pedals. 8)
  • jonginge
    I'm also getting a shiny new bike quite soon, and want shiny new pedals. 8)
    http://www.timesport.fr/catalogue-2009- ... idc.4.html
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Time_ ... 360027561/
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/5 ... edals.html

Not that I like Time pedals or anything ;)

(The non-Ti versions of the above are about half the cost)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Eggbeaters are called Eggbeaters cos they look like eggbeaters:

crank-brothers-eggbeater-pedal.jpg

The massive plus with them is entry is FOUR-sided so there is no flipping a pedal involved at all - you just put your foot down to engage and there you are. They are also extremely light, sturdy, don't retain mud and stuff, and are available from about £20 up to £250, depending on your requirements. And they take any regular two-hole shoes. Which you can walk in. And they're pretty and unusual and I can't believe I'm continuing because you're bound to have already gone out and bought some. Right?
  • jonginge
    How good are the eggbeaters after a long ride? Interested coz one of the pluses of large platform pedals is long distance comfort as pressure is distributed across a larger area of the sole
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Absolutely fine - never ever noticed anything uncomfortable about them (once I'd set the angle of the cleat properly), but then I've never ridden more than 70 miles in a day.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    JonGinge wrote:
    How good are the eggbeaters after a long ride? Interested coz one of the pluses of large platform pedals is long distance comfort as pressure is distributed across a larger area of the sole

Yeah that would be a concern to me too. I commute on SPDs and sometimes find that the small pedal area gives me foot pain, whereas the larger clip pedals on my "weekend bike" are much more comfortable for longer training rides.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited December 2008
    biondino wrote:
    Eggbeaters are called Eggbeaters cos they look like eggbeaters:

The massive plus with them is entry is FOUR-sided so there is no flipping a pedal involved at all - you just put your foot down to engage and there you are. They are also extremely light, sturdy, don't retain mud and stuff, and are available from about £20 up to £250, depending on your requirements. And they take any regular two-hole shoes. Which you can walk in. And they're pretty and unusual and I can't believe I'm continuing because you're bound to have already gone out and bought some. Right?

:lol:

They *do* look like eggbeaters! Cool!

One review site mentioned that they had some discomfort after a long ride on eggbeaters, but blamed it on the shoe not the pedal. The shoe they chose looked v rubbish so it seems a fair assessment. And I commuted on the old commuter for nearly a month with just the middle of the standard pedal and flip flops, I think you can see that in the pic in my sig, so the size isn't a concern!

My thought is that the time/look/podio/SPD-SL ones are single-sided, is that right? You can only clip in from one side?

Is that a pain? Or do you get used to it pretty quickly?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    JonGinge wrote:

Hence I have SPD and SPD-SL.

Also - keeps costs down in terms of parts, cleats and so on. Good range of shoes with various fitments. No hassles with information or distribution! Lots of manufacturers make the system (Shimano, Look, Ritchey.....).

Again, SPD is only my winter pedal as my SPD shoes can be walked in, cheap to replace the shoes (Diadora) waterproof and the pedals are easy to buy and cheap to replace/fix and setup.

SPD-Sl is better for distance and I use them in summer on my road bike with Sidi wide fit shoes - lots of manufacturers, weights, shoes and parts available - Ultegra ones go with my groupset, ritchey SPD goes with finishing kit!

I match, either way!
  • JonGinge wrote:

Agreed

SCORE ONE FOR THE PODIOS! :D

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • antfly
    That`s another plus for spd`s,the cleats last forever whereas all the others need regularly replacing.
    Here`s another reason to get spd`s.On a recent ride I skidded on some oil on a bend and as my bike went from under me my foot came off the pedal automatically and I was able to put my foot on the ground.I later find out that another cyclist had skidded in the exact same spot earlier on but his foot didn`t come out and down he went.He broke his pelvis and was hospitalised.If my foot hadn`t come off the pedal I too would have been in a world of pain.
  • antfly wrote:
    That`s another plus for spd`s,the cleats last forever whereas all the others need regularly replacing.
    Here`s another reason to get spd`s.On a recent ride I skidded on some oil on a bend and as my bike went from under me my foot came off the pedal automatically and I was able to put my foot on the ground.I later find out that another cyclist had skidded in the exact same spot earlier on but his foot didn`t come out and down he went.He broke his pelvis and was hospitalised.If my foot hadn`t come off the pedal I too would have been in a world of pain.

You're wasting your time on me with the SPDs! I already have them... I did say 'shiny new pedals'!

I think your point about releasing the foot is more to do with the tension put on by the user than the type of pedal.
  • I think your point about releasing the foot is more to do with the tension put on by the user than the type of pedal.

Assuming you mean the tension adjustment, last night I fitted some SPD-SL's for a friend, they are much harder to get out of when new than the SPDs i've fitted previously, both at maximum slackness.
  • antfly
    You're wasting your time on me with the SPDs! I already have them... I did say 'shiny new pedals'!

Yes but they are shiny 8) if you clean them.The road spd`s look much better than the mountain ones.