London Dynamo in Richmond Park - please be more considerate

124»

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The original complaint from RPAndy is that he feels annoyed at the behaviour of London Dynamo in the park, surely a simple answer would to be to ride in the opposite direction to the Dynamo peloton?
    Perhaps he could take up golf instead, that way he'd be even safer? :wink: People should be free to share the roads safely rather than get hints they shouldn't be on the same piece of road together. As cyclists, the last thing we should be worried about is fellow cyclists, it's hard enough with careless drivers.
  • Kléber wrote:
    The original complaint from RPAndy is that he feels annoyed at the behaviour of London Dynamo in the park, surely a simple answer would to be to ride in the opposite direction to the Dynamo peloton?
    Perhaps he could take up golf instead, that way he'd be even safer? :wink: People should be free to share the roads safely rather than get hints they shouldn't be on the same piece of road together. As cyclists, the last thing we should be worried about is fellow cyclists, it's hard enough with careless drivers.

Of course people should feel free to share the same road at all times but its quite obvious that London Dynamo won't change the time of their club run and Andy shouldn't feel that he has to change his schedule to fit around LD so surely the simplest way to avoid any more complaints would to be to cycle in opposite directions. I wasn't hinting that Andy shouldn't be on the road i was merely trying to offer a helpful suggestion :)
  • Again, as another external observer, I cycle through Richmond Park daily and have never had an issue with the Dynamo guys, and I'm on a mtb with slicks! 8) I've even seen several of them out who have stopped at red lights, shock horror! Perhaps I should post every time I see one behave normally and not RLJ'ing.. My post count would be somewhat higher..

Not going to condone any aggressive behaviour to fellow cyclists on the road, but I wish people would take that tack on these forums before things get so heated. The divisive nature of the cycling 'church' as it were and the wasted energy arguing with each other is a real hinderance to the further development of cycling this country for cycling, whether that be the safe treatment of riders on the roads, proper design of roads with regards towards cyclists etc ec.

Imagine if all that energy was directed to your councils, local cycling groups etc etc, rather than just posting on forums.. :roll:
  • A lot of this is about perception of manners and 'personal space'.

I ride in RP occasionally with my training partner. Personally, having the Dynamos pass fast, at close quarters never bothered me, but it really pis ses him off. Both of us are used to riding in groups so it's not about experience, just different a sense of what's respectful.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    sylvanus wrote:
    No the ride has to stick to the speed limits like everyone else, frustrating though that can be at times and largely do so whenever I've been there. I'm sure that when descending hills the speed can tick up slightly but in general the speed limits are fairly closely observed. You may get the impression that the groups are riding fast but remember that they have the relative advantage of drafting and the aim is to practice group riding skills rather than eyeballs out speed-riding.
    Hope that helps! :D

I'm sorry but this is bollocks isn't it? I'm in the park most weekends and whilst I have no issue with Dynamo (they have cut me up a few times but then that happens in the Park), there is no way the LD peloton obeys the limits. I ride fast in the park, certainly over the limit for much of the time and the peloton often drafts past me. Not a criticism, most of us roadies that use the Park for training runs break the limit, but I think you're being a tad disingenuous here.

As for the rest of this thread, honestly all these wild accusations are a bit pathetic. There are tools in all walks of life. It's been great watching RP getting buiser and busier as cycling grows in popularity. I'm not going to complain about it, as others have mentioned the Surrey Hills are on the doorstep if anyone wants. I just wish they'd ban cars from the park (carpark access only) I've never understood why such a beautiful park should be despoiled by cars!
  • skylark
    skylark Posts: 445
    To be honest there is no reason to complain really. Have more faith in your own riding ability than being so quaint. I for one don't see such a problem in RP.

What I do dislike is the cars and traffic in RP. What business has traffic got in RP? Motorists should use traffic roads, why don';t they? Are they honestly taking shortcuts through RP?

Besides speed limit for everyone in RP is 20.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    DYNAMITE! wrote:
    . My work here is done.

Toodle pip!

what was your work :roll: I'm sure all these dynamo riders can't be as bad as you.

Seems like a bit more consideration is needed for the general public especially with regard to passing space. I could imagine it being intimidating and dangerous if young children are around in the park.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Fair play to the Dynamo, a group of them overtook me and my clubmate (Brixton Cycles) today at Boxhill and they all said hello AND gave us plenty of space when passing...is there a charm offensive in progress? 8)
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'
  • georgew83
    georgew83 Posts: 23
    Hi all

I find the best way to avoid the Dynamo packs is to go clockwise around the park. From experience they always seem to anti-clockwise. I saw an ambulance, police car and a bunch of Dynamo's looking worried up on the hill last saturday and on my final lap a huge swath of them came down the hill 4 or 5 abreast. A little more consideration would be nice.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Is this still going on? I was a member from 2006-2008 and found the club great - on the most part. No one mentions the best part of LD, they attract many women riders which is too rare and a good thing. Frankly the cat 2 riders and above didn't train so much in RP on Saturdays, or we did maybe a couple laps then cut out down Portsmouth Road into Surrey for some hills if we weren't racing on the Sunday.

This forum isn't the place for this. Write to the club secretary. I'm in LP now and the few complaints we had sent to our secretary we took seriously. We train a lot in Regent's Park take relations with the cops and park officials very seriously.

Since we all scoff at how badly the pros manage themselves, let's not make the same mistakes.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • celery101
    celery101 Posts: 37
    i grew up in ham and have been cycling round the park since i can remember as well as going there with friends and now my kids.

when i go there to get some road laps in it's often embarrasing how some of the other cyclists behave. i like to go for a serious work out and you often end up zoomig along with one or two others - but so often i see people trying to cross the roads with families or pets and getting completely carved up - or some old dear driving round at 20 to enjoy looking at the park and having people hanging mm off the back wheel of their car.

i'm not sayong it's an LD problem, it's just with that many cyclists in there the small numberof inconsiderate ones really give off such a bad impression.

i don't know how many people posting here use the park for any other form of recreation, but when you see it from that perspective a bunch of roadies doesn't look like a friendly bunch - i know that's not generally the case (and i don't look very friendly myself when i'm trying to put some good laps in!), i just think people who only ever use the park for cycling don't laways realise that.
  • georgew83 wrote:
    Hi all

I find the best way to avoid the Dynamo packs is to go clockwise around the park. From experience they always seem to anti-clockwise. I saw an ambulance, police car and a bunch of Dynamo's looking worried up on the hill last saturday and on my final lap a huge swath of them came down the hill 4 or 5 abreast. A little more consideration would be nice.

4 abreast down broomfield/pembroke hills is not on (most of us prefer to single out before the broomfield descent, for example) so I'll pass that on to the organiser.

The worried looks followed an accident in which a cyclist came off when a car coming from the opposite direction crossed lanes into the cyclists' path. Sadly, I don't think anyone caught the registration. Happily, I think the damage was limited to road rash. This is second hand knowledge as I wasn't present.

Nick
  • I'm just about to join London Dynamos so this has been an interesting read. I

'm an experienced cyclist but been passed way too close on numerous occassions by peletons of LD riders and been cut in front off too many times to mention. On some occassions I've made a comment but it's alwasy been ignored. I've never been cursed at. It's not limited to testosterone either, female riders have also ridden inconsideranly

On the other hand I've had groups of LD riders come passed and many wish me a good morning so as in all walks of life there is good and bad.

So I've seen them from the outside and now hope to see them from the inside. I will definitely tell people I ride with if they are cycling inconsiderably.

One thought I had was to ask LD to self-impose numbering on shorts and tops - like football numbering. It makes it very easy to identify good/bad riding. If it was self imposed it would suggest they are serious about being good road users. A bit like the "Am I driving carefully" thing on lorries.

I will suggest it if they have me as a member!
  • Overhyped club. Overpriced club fee. Other than that you get cyclists/people of all kinds.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sadly this bad riding in Richmond Park isn't limited to LD riders.

Last week I got passed by centimeters by some complete tw4t. I shouted after something polite along the lines "Oi mate, that was a bit close, come on"! No reply, no sorry or anything.

A few Sundays ago I got passed very close on the inside coming up Sawyers Hill!

Seriously, if we can't give each other a bit of respect how on earth do expect other road users to give a dam.
  • If LD want to perpetuate the idea that they are not going quicker than 20mph while riding around Richmond Park, they might want to tell members not to post to Strava.

http://www.strava.com/rides/rp-london-d ... 11-1124245
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    If LD want to perpetuate the idea that they are not going quicker than 20mph while riding around Richmond Park, they might want to tell members not to post to Strava.

When did Dynamo ever say they never went faster than 20mph in RP?
  • weapons wrote:
    If LD want to perpetuate the idea that they are not going quicker than 20mph while riding around Richmond Park, they might want to tell members not to post to Strava.

When did Dynamo ever say they never went faster than 20mph in RP?

Page 1 of this thread. Ignore me though, I didn't look at the dates on anything and didn't realise it had been dredged up from history. I'm replying to a post from 2008.

But surely everyone says they don't go faster than 20mph in RP. That's the limit.