Rapha haters - do NOT read!

124»

Comments

• Brixtonbiker
    Brixtonbiker Posts: 100
    edited October 2008
    Just purchased a new rapha skinsuit off ebay £40 for a short sleeve one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rapha-Condor-Recy ... 286.c0.m14

Ebay also has the fixed jersey

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rapha-Fixed-Track ... 286.c0.m14
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    What's wrong with Tweed ?
    offspring-new-balance-tweed-576-1.jpg
    These New Balance trainers - the classic 576 from the 70's now being remade - are apparently a big hit in Japan in the Harris Tweed version.

What's wrong with tweed?

You've just answered your own question.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Perhaps these chaps would be interested...

http://www.tweed.cc/style.html
    I have pain!
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I have more Rapha kit than I care to mention, and get enjoyment out of just wearing it, more than I can say for most emblazoned polyester offerings from many of the other major manufacturers.

For those of you that have the black jersey go purple (mine went more reddy), I had the same after a couple of tours in Spain and Provence that were very hot and having it for nearly 2 years. I spoke to Rapha, who said send it back, and I received a brand new jersey within 2 days. Apparently talking to them at the bike show, they have changed the dye type now and reckon it won't happen now.

Rapha's service is awesome, and my Grand Tour mitts are a joy to own.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    I have gone a bit Rapha mad, classic soft shell from these forums, got a long sleeve Rapha Condor team top, cap, t-shirt. I really like the clothing it is understated style and function. not sure it is worth rrp though. How much are those photo shoots adding to the cost of stuff?
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • ivancarlos wrote:
    Perhaps these chaps would be interested...

http://www.tweed.cc/style.html

On second thoughts, perhaps not....their directory page lists Rapha ''A London-based company whose lycra abberations can be overlooked in favour of a selection of excellent woollen jerseys''

Nice site, ivancarlos, had me giggling anyway :lol:
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Classic soft shell awesome bit of kit! I rate it as best bit of clothing I have especially this time of year.

I reckon Sir Paul Smith should start a range, like his stripes!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • I heard Rapha are gonna release a limted edition range through Aldi, its gonna be understand and plain so it looks exactly like kit from Aldi ( it will have a stripe on it and some writing) it will perform almost as good but has the added advantage of convincing you that everybody is actually admiring you as oppossed to laughing at you thinking ' there's one of those mugs that buys rapha'. The new Binshell they have done has new stem cell technology that intergrates with your brain to tell you that when u decided to ride in the rain you aren't really as wet as if your wore any other piece of cycling attire and like all good quality bespoke tailored kit its not made at the same factory as everybody else's its actually the one next to it . Whispers say there is a kilt on its way for the summer range with built in shorts for those that don't wanna ride bare
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    I heard Rapha are gonna release a limted edition range through Aldi, its gonna be understand and plain so it looks exactly like kit from Aldi ( it will have a stripe on it and some writing) it will perform almost as good but has the added advantage of convincing you that everybody is actually admiring you as oppossed to laughing at you thinking ' there's one of those mugs that buys rapha'. The new Binshell they have done has new stem cell technology that intergrates with your brain to tell you that when u decided to ride in the rain you aren't really as wet as if your wore any other piece of cycling attire and like all good quality bespoke tailored kit its not made at the same factory as everybody else's its actually the one next to it . Whispers say there is a kilt on its way for the summer range with built in shorts for those that don't wanna ride bare

Nob
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I know its 3 years too late however I am under 30 and do not fit the average Rapha wearer profile at all.

I cant really afford their stuff but having bought the Winter jersey and the Softshell Gilet off ebay for a considerable discount for nearly new products I have been sold. Now the price is astronomical but I have been to-ing and fro-ing between Castelli, Assos and Rapha as to which company to spend my hard earned bucks over, and Rpaha gets the nod.

I actually really like the understated clothing, I am not a fan of garish lycra with sponsors all over it, which I am not getting paid by to advertise their companies, so for a top quality item that fits great and looks great and feels great I am willing to pay that extra.

I wouldn't go buying everything but a club jersey, cap and arm warmers all in sale off the website and will be looking into a pair of 3/4 bib shorts as soon as I can re-mortgage my house. I have tried other companies such as Vermarc which is also very good but imo looks naff. For me I am a fan of simple black and white and as my bike is white and the rest of my gear is also white this suits me just fine.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited August 2012
    In the latest news......

Team Sky fanbois and Rapha haters are going to be dissapointed next year......
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    daviesee wrote:
    In the latest news......

Tean Sky fanbois and Rapha haters are going to be dissapointed next year......

I wondered why Rapha raised all their prices across the range yesterday
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I also see that Rapha Condor Sharp jerseys have been removed from sale.... Hmmmm
  • daviesee
    nweststeyn wrote:
    I also see that Rapha Condor Sharp jerseys have been removed from sale.... Hmmmm
    In case I was not clear in my earlier post - Team Sky will be wearing Rapha gear in 2013.
    I don't know the repurcussions for the Rapha Condor Sharp team.
  • nweststeyn
    Yes indeed... We don't know what will happen to Rapha Condor Sharp but there was no evidence to suggest that RCS wouldn't continue. But now the team kit has been removed from sale from the Rapha site that could be taken as an indication that Rapha will only be providing gear for one team.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -2013.html

"Rapha has backed a leading British squad, now Rapha-Condor-Sharp, since 2008. It won't be affected by the company's forthcoming partnership with Team Sky. "
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • nweststeyn
    thanks!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Might buy a Sky kit next year then, that's sure to raise some people's blood pressure ! I wonder if they'll do a World champ version too........ :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    MattC59 wrote:
    Might buy a Sky kit next year then, that's sure to raise some people's blood pressure ! I wonder if they'll do a World champ version too........ :lol:

Will need to get a world champ first....
  • daviesee
    MattC59 wrote:

Will need to get a world champ first....
    Mark Cavendish hasn't left Sky yet has he? Likely to happen but not yet AFAIK.
  • nweststeyn
    Yeah but everyone knows that David Apollonio will be world champ next season!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Sky Pink-doesnt sound right,sky high might be more apt.Lots of machinists in Taiwan must be rubbing their worn out hands tonight.A few dollars more per day?Doubt it.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Might buy a Sky kit next year then, that's sure to raise some people's blood pressure ! I wonder if they'll do a World champ version too........

A spin round the Surrey Hills on the bank holiday was like 1920s Italy - black shirts on every corner; those who are aggravated by such things are clearly a petty minority.

As to Rapha, their lycra can wait until I pass £70kpa, but a pair of tan 3/4 shorts ("breeches") seem a good, socially passable & bicycle friendly, I'd pay RRP for a pair of jeans which would be far less clever (no logos either - big plus)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Latest Rapha Continental video is interesting: http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-continental-p ... ontinental

I appreciate the ethos of "just riding your bike" but this is SO self-conscious it's anything but simple or stripped-down or real. It's highly-styled, productionized, trying-hard, carefully constructed etc. I bet they spent 2 hrs riding and 3 days of shooting and re-shooting 'casual' looking scenes like jumping a tree.

Ok, it bugs me, I can admit it. The JVA spoof-site says it best "want to read about rides you weren't invited to"?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Latest Rapha Continental video is interesting: http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-continental-p ... ontinental

I appreciate the ethos of "just riding your bike" but this is SO self-conscious it's anything but simple or stripped-down or real. It's highly-styled, productionized, trying-hard, carefully constructed etc. I bet they spent 2 hrs riding and 3 days of shooting and re-shooting 'casual' looking scenes like jumping a tree.

Ok, it bugs me, I can admit it. The JVA spoof-site says it best "want to read about rides you weren't invited to"?

Ok, I don't buy into the Rapha "ethos" but that video did want me to head out on the bike (again - have already done an hour and a bit this morning in the early morning sun - gorgeous).

Bizarrely enough, if anyone has a chance, head up to SENTA in Wales - the roads are exactly like around 4:28 on that video - completely empty, perfect tarmac, you can see for miles. Catch it on the right day and its lush.
  • Yossie
    adamfo wrote:

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. And? Your point please?

So is ICI but I don't go around dressed in "kitchen light wipe clean emulsion" ..........
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    Growing that fast they have a rake of jobs on offer, so why not work for them.

http://www.rapha.cc/work-at-rapha
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • Yossie
    Because I already have a job I really like and don't live anywhere near them, so the communt may be a tad inconvenient.