Rapha haters - do NOT read!

mrushton
mrushton Posts: 5,182
edited August 2013 in The bottom bracket
Rapha have new jacket coming out. The reviewer at this site will tell you more but if rapha annoy you, this will REALLY annoy you :D

www.thewashingmachinepost.com
M.Rushton

Comments

• Why? If the jacket had a Prada or Armani Collezione label on it would you be annoyed?

Problem is that jacket won't ever be worn on a bike!

(BTW the link doesn't work)
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    rapha doesnt annoy me, rock racing kit does. only thing that really annoys me is really expensive kit thats no better than stuff cheaper than it, tho im sure that doesnt happen at all. or has it? would like to see the working link as soon as u can fix it.
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    £450?

Its not even worth one of these ( :shock: ) because its Rapha after all.

£450 was what I paid for my first 'decent' bike....

'nuff said.
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • Look at it as charity work, keeping some poor little kid in India in a job! :wink:
    Like any of this designer nonsense, it removes money from someone who has too much of it.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • ...chavwear me thinks...too close to Burberry
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Chav-tastic! They have excelled where others often fail - to take something expensive and highly crafted and turn it into somesomething undesireable and cheap-looking! I was very close to pressing the button on a regular Rapha Softshell this week, but instead went for a Castelli Espresso jacket instead - and seeing this monstrosity glad I did! I guess the matching plus foours will be out shortly?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • couldn't agree more Monty...did think Rapha was quite cool and elegant.......this new offering is a complete miss!

......same with me ,on the verge of buying something from them, but this taints their whole range!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The classic softshell is still a great piece of kit. the tweed thing is limited to 100 pieces so I guess we won't see that outside of the City of London
    M.Rushton
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    TWEED?! :shock:

Good Lord :cry:

Methinks that the Rapha design team must have been snorting something funny if they thought that such a jacket was ever going to be a success.

Shame, because I really rate a lot of Rapha stuff

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Tweed! You lot don't know your sartorial onions!

It's Prince of Wales check

And you'll find that Rapha have their finger on the pulse

http://www.jeans-online.pl/product_info ... raphite%22

http://www.uncrate.com/men/style/shoes/ ... les-check/
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    TWEED?! :shock:

Shame, because I really rate a lot of Rapha stuff

Every genius has a bad day.

It shows their 'progressive' side. Rapha do have a reputation for being a bit 'Saville Row' so you can't really blame them for this monstrosity, I mean experimant :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • McBain_v1
    For that price I would demand a Rapha-pink silk inner lining, solid platinum zip handles and the Rapha scarf thrown in for good measure :!:

As for "Prince of Wales" check - since when did he ever have his finger on the pulse :?:

(and no Camilla jokes please :roll: )

• McBain_v1 wrote:
    For that price I would demand a Rapha-pink silk inner lining, solid platinum zip handles and the Rapha scarf thrown in for good measure :!:

As for "Prince of Wales" check - since when did he ever have his finger on the pulse :?:

(and no Camilla jokes please :roll: )

Wrong Prince of Wales

"Named widely but wrongly applied to the Glen Urquhart check and similar checks with a colored overcheck. These were popularized by the Duke of Windsor when he was Prince of Wales. The authentic Prince of Wales Check was designed by King Edward VII when he was Prince of Wales, as livery for his shootings at Abergeldie House on Scotland’s Deeside. It is of similar pattern to the Glen Urquhart but nearly twice its size on the repeat, and far too big to illustrate here. Its authentic colors are red-brown on a white ground, with a slat-grey overcheck."
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I assume Rapha will be producing some matching tweed plus fours and perhaps some spats. 8)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    speedy641 wrote:
    couldn't agree more Monty...did think Rapha was quite cool and elegant.......this new offering is a complete miss!

......same with me ,on the verge of buying something from them, but this taints their whole range!

:lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • McBain_v1
    I've just seen their new Soft Shell Gilet and I really want one!

Fabulous looking thing, but that price - it's gonna have to wait until Christmas :!:

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    WTF! That looks awful, and £450! P1sstakers.

If I had that much to spend on a jacket I'd get one of these:

http://www.feedthehabit.com/road-biking/castelli-insolito-radiation-jacket-3-season-cycling-jacket/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Triathlon/10/Castelli_Insolito_Radiation_Jacket/5360038051/

Far more useful and it doesn't make you look like a pr1ck.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Far more useful and it doesn't make you look like a pr1ck.
    Are you quite sure? :wink:

It looks somewhat gimp like to me.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Less gimp than the Rapha one...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Maybe. But Rapha are going for the country gent gimp look not the Euro gimp look Castelli are aiming at.
  • mwo
    mwo Posts: 57
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    I've just seen their new Soft Shell Gilet and I really want one!

Fabulous looking thing, but that price - it's gonna have to wait until Christmas :!:

I am weak. I caved in almost immediately. I expected a bad case of buyer's remorse, but it's so flipping lovely that I've already forgiven myself.
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    mwo wrote:
    [

I am weak. I caved in almost immediately. I expected a bad case of buyer's remorse, but it's so flipping lovely that I've already forgiven myself.

You Tart....
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • McBain_v1
    I wonder how much you would have to spend to have one of every item that Rapha makes :?:

[I still want a Rapha Gilet though

• I can't wait for the Fixed Jacket to come out. And I won't be wearing it on the bike.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    What a load of toss
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    When my money exceeds my sense, I'll be buying rapha :D
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • McBain_v1
    Does Assos™ gear polarise opinion in the same way :?: Personally, I really like a lot of Rapha gear and it is good quality. I've never had any Assos gear, but it seems just as (perhaps more) expensive and seems to shout "look at me - I'm expensive!" quite a lot too :?

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    I wonder how much you would have to spend to have one of every item that Rapha makes :?:

[I still want a Rapha Gilet though

I got one in the sale, black with white stripe.... it's great although I refuse to wear it at the same time as arm & knee warmers :lol:

In answer to your other question I've got an Assos jersey and it does everything I'd expect it to do... I think the shorts would have a more noticeable/quantifiable difference though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    The assos shorts are a quality item, but I think the rest of their stuff is some sort of startrek fetish gimp clothing. Very good I'm sure, but they look ugly IMO anyway :D
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.