'Richmond Park Training Group' ride Oct 18th or 19th

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
In an attempt to finally get to know some faces from the 'Richmond Park Training Email Group' thread I'm proposing an organised ride (of sorts) on Sat 18th or Sun 19th Oct. I suspect it will result in a Windsor loop or a North Downs loop (the latter being my personal preference), I guess somewhere in the region of 40-60miles, maybe more if everyone is up for it.

Being still fairly new to the area I would much prefer someone else with more local knowledge to plan a good route which gets us to country lanes ASAP and then takes us on a decent loop of the chosen area, but I can do my best on Memory Map / Bikely / Bike Route Toaster if need be (I have reasonable knowledge of a route to Windsor and know the North Downs a little having ridden MTB in the area for a while). I'm happy to include a tea / cake stop in Windsor / Peaslake if the general concensus demands but it's not essential - I'm happy just riding.

The RP training group thread has been running for a while now and there seem to be a few of us who are keen, but so far it hasn't really resulted in much actual meeting - just lots of "I was there, I think I might have seen you but I'm not sure / was going the other way / must have been following you around without realising / was too dark" etc. No bad thing, just a shame that there's some regulars who haven't been able to meet up for one reason or another!

So chaps and chapesses, who's in? :shock:

Oh, and what day is the preference (please use the poll for this!), and is anyone prepared to lead? :D

Comments

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Oh, and what day is the preference (please use the poll for this!), and is anyone prepared to lead? :D

Dont know which day is better for me yet... will have to wokr that one out, at the moment I think I can make either.

No frickin way am I leading - I will have barely got used to riding my bike by then, and not know the area at all. :shock:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • I will prob be up for this and can also do either day. I have a reasonable knowledge of the area so am happy to make suggestions of a route. It might be worth using Bikely to map out a proposed route. Have a look at these below as possibles, hopefully the links will work

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/183327

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/155829
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • Rich-Ti
    Have a look at these below as possibles, hopefully the links will work

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/183327

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/155829
    Both look good - exactly the kind of thing I was thinking.

Shall we stick with one of these then? That way people can print a map and get themselves back if they need to peel off early or if, for any reason, we get splintered.

Also, meet point needs considering I guess - where is easiest for that? Do people need to bring bikes in cars to RP? In which case meeting at one of the car parks would be good (the park is spitting distance for me so I'm easy!).

I'm gonna stick my neck out and go for the Sunday 8)
  • No car for me so not bothered in that respect

Bear in mind these routes contain a reasonable amount of climbing. Check out the route profile, tab is in the top left corner. Not trying to put people off but worth considering as we will all be of different abilities
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • Rich-Ti
    Valid point - lets see what the take-up is like, see if anyone has any other suggestions and/or is happy to lead and make a firm decision nearer the time 8)
  • felgen
    I like the look of those routes, I notice from Google Earth that they are a little 'hilly' in places.

Pretty sure I can make it - looking forward to it.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen wrote:
    I notice from Google Earth that they are a little 'hilly' in places.

I think it works out to be between 3200ft and 4200ft depending on which route. It may well be more depending on where you are coming from.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • felgen
    felgen wrote:
    I notice from Google Earth that they are a little 'hilly' in places.

I think it works out to be between 3200ft and 4200ft depending on which route. It may well be more depending on where you are coming from.

well, I am sure I could manage it, if not its something to aim for, and climbing on the new bike is a lot easier...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Yep I'm in, I can make either days at this point in time but have cast my vote for Sunday.

I'm hopeless at climbing but at the same time I get a sick thrill out of grinding up hills....work that one out.

I have a garmin so if we a route agreed upon before hand I'll load it up to make things easier to navigate.
    or if, for any reason, we get splintered
    Rich TI, I'm not suggesting you don't mean this but just for the record, in a group ride if anyone has a flat, starts tiring or gets caught in lights I make it habit never to leave them behind.

I'm hoping for a few laps this Saturday morning (8:30ish) around RP if people are keen.

The long grazed legged one
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:

I have a garmin so if we a route agreed upon before hand I'll load it up to make things easier to navigate.

+1 for Garmin here, as does Rich-Ti - a preloaded route map would be good, but something that I haven't really delved into in terms of using my unit - I just like looking at the data-logged graphs....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    Yep I'm in, I can make either days at this point in time but have cast my vote for Sunday.
    or if, for any reason, we get splintered
    Rich TI, I'm not suggesting you don't mean this but just for the record, in a group ride if anyone has a flat, starts tiring or gets caught in lights I make it habit never to leave them behind.
    Yup, valid comment - was more thinking if anyone wanted to cut the ride short and head home, but worth clearing up as I certainly don't intend on leaving anyone behind!

8)
  • Felgen, were you in the park on Wed morning, wearing Gan kit?

Emu, I will be riding this saturday morning so could possibly meet up if you like.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • felgen
    Felgen, were you in the park on Wed morning, wearing Gan kit?

Emu, I will be riding this saturday morning so could possibly meet up if you like.

Nope I was at work.... fixing broken bones ;) I ride a black Planet-X with Rodi Airline wheels (more show than go....) as for kit - Either blue adidas or *ahem* discovery kit (Sorry!)

oops.. just realised the second sentence was for Emu...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    Sounds good, Jackal, weather is supposed to be superb aswell.

But i'll confirm tomorrow afternoon/evening as my lovely wilier is STILL at the bikeshop. :roll:

They've assured me that it will be ready for picking up tomorrow night.

• felgen wrote:
    I ride a black Planet-X with Rodi Airline wheels (more show than go....) as for kit - Either blue adidas or *ahem* discovery kit (Sorry!).

This chap I saw was riding a Planet x although I am not sure about the wheels etc. I also saw a chap in Gan kit on an old MTB several weeks back, before your P X arrived. I put two and two together and got 5 by the looks of it.

Emu, not sure if your bike is back but I will be at Richmond gate for 8.30. If the weather is as you say then I will be on a Cervelo r3 (black one) and prob with a white/ world champ jersey on.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • The emu
    Emu, not sure if your bike is back

Yep I pm'd you but may not of picked up on it.

Will try and make gate at 8:30 on white Wilier wearing either team South Australia or Lampre kit.

• felgen
    felgen wrote:
    I ride a black Planet-X with Rodi Airline wheels (more show than go....) as for kit - Either blue adidas or *ahem* discovery kit (Sorry!).

This chap I saw was riding a Planet x although I am not sure about the wheels etc. I also saw a chap in Gan kit on an old MTB several weeks back, before your P X arrived. I put two and two together and got 5 by the looks of it.

Wow, I have only seen two other people on Planet X bikes and neither of them were in the park - one was in Hampton Hill and the other was Putney High Street. My old MTB was yellow/bare carbon.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    I have just posted a vote for Sunday 19th as it looks like I will be bringing along a guest who is coming out in Wimbledon Saturday night and crashing at mine. (I am just a tad worried though as he was mad enough to do the UK ironman).

So as long as I/we

1) get some sleep
    2) stay off the sauce (mostly!)

That makes 2 confirmed for a Sunday jaunt out to Surrey/Windsor.. who else is definitely coming? Any idea of numbers?

Thought i would start a list....

James P (me)
    Dan B (guest!)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    James P (me)
    Dan B (guest!)
    Rich G (me)

8)
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    I have just posted a vote for Sunday 19th as it looks like I will be bringing along a guest who is coming out in Wimbledon Saturday night and crashing at mine. (I am just a tad worried though as he was mad enough to do the UK ironman).

So as long as I/we

1) get some sleep
    2) stay off the sauce (mostly!)
    Oh, and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't have to be a stupidly early start, so hopefully that might help if you and your mate are on the sauce!

I was thinking 10am? Where is best to meet?
  • felgen
    yeah I guess it doesnt have to be stupid early. I just need to be back by 2pm.. so I guess that would give us 4 hours riding, which would probably be more than enough for me...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    James P
    Dan B
    Rich G
    Wilf T (me)

Waited around Richmond Gate at 8:30 yesterday Jackal but took off after 15 minutes as I was starting to get cold - figured you weren't going to make it or didnt get my message in time.

10am is good for me.

• Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    10am is good for me.
    Sounds like a 10am start suits all so far then - Richmond gate good too? :?
  • The emu wrote:

Waited around Richmond Gate at 8:30 yesterday Jackal but took off after 15 minutes as I was starting to get cold - figured you weren't going to make it or didnt get my message in time.quote]

I am really sorry mate we must have just missed each other by a minute or two. I didn't pick up your message and ended up leaving the house slightly later than planned, making the park just before 8.50.

10am sounds good, I will confirm attendance later in the week.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • felgen
    I was just trying to cross-reference the RP 6 lap times with the potential attendees on this ride and noticed only a small spread which bodes well. I am mainly concerned from my point of view that as I am a lardbutt (95kgs - though I have lost 11 already) that I will be fine on the flat, but the hills might be a small problem. Either way - really looking forward to it (bet it rains now!)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    I was just trying to cross-reference the RP 6 lap times with the potential attendees on this ride and noticed only a small spread which bodes well. I am mainly concerned from my point of view that as I am a lardbutt (95kgs - though I have lost 11 already) that I will be fine on the flat, but the hills might be a small problem. Either way - really looking forward to it (bet it rains now!)
    Don't worry, I'm not a great climber and am around 90kg myself! :oops: :lol:

Weather report is ok, but I have winter gear now so I'm not fussed! Just no mudguards so spray could be an issue... :roll:
  • The emu
    I am really sorry mate we must have just missed each other by a minute or two

Not a problem mate, its not like I haven't done a few laps of the park on my own in the past 8)

I'm not a strong climber either, I have legs like an emu (hence my nic) but I still have to carry shy of 90kg up the hills myself (I'm 6'4") so my power to weight ratio is lame.

Throw in the fact I had my first ride in 6 weeks last weekend means I can see I'll be a straggler.

Felgen is there a 6 lap time or did you mean the 3 lap challenge?

• Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    I'm not a strong climber either, I have legs like an emu (hence my nic) but I still have to carry shy of 90kg up the hills myself (I'm 6'4") so my power to weight ratio is lame.

Throw in the fact I had my first ride in 6 weeks last weekend means I can see I'll be a straggler.

Sounds like we're going to be fairly level abilities then which is good!

My guess would be that Felgen was talking RP3 x2 - in which case I'd add a bit too cos there's no way I could maintain my RP3 pace for 3 more laps!! :oops: :lol:
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:
    I am really sorry mate we must have just missed each other by a minute or two

Not a problem mate, its not like I haven't done a few laps of the park on my own in the past 8)

I meant 3 lap.... I looked to see who had posted a 3 lap RP challenge time who was active in the thread, hence the 'potential attendees' comment. Don't worry I will also be puffing up the hills, with reasonable power, though sadly more than reasonable weight -) :shock:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Don't worry, I'm not a great climber and am around 90kg myself! :oops: :lol:

Weather report is ok, but I have winter gear now so I'm not fussed! Just no mudguards so spray could be an issue... :roll:

Ok, so have the ideal opportunity to test your new kit then - you can stay at the back then keeping dry in all your 'winter gear' while we at the front spray you with constant stream as I/we dont have any mudguards either :lol:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB