Winter training

2»

Comments

• damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    Well, I am no closer to a definite idea of a training plan for winter, but have lots of good and conflicting ideas.

Latests thoughts...

I'm aiming at getting my base fitness higher. Its pretty good naturally, but the endurance factor isn't something rugby/rowing fitness prepares you for. I think I will leave hill repeats and sprints for the new year. For now, I'll seek out hiller longer rides as I get fitter, and am thinking about timing myself round a local loop every few weeks to moniter progress.
    I'm aiming for over 8hrs a of riding a week. I'm not sure how to break that down in terms of levels just yet - any advice?

If its disgusting weather then the turbo is the option to go for.

As for my saturdays, at the moment at least, its the best time for a long ride. Should I forgo joining my local club and going out on a saturday morning and do my own longer rides? I'm sure my bunch skills need improving, but should that be another new year project?

Rollers look very enticing, but unless I get an early christmas present, I don't know if I can afford them. My turbo is set up with my dads bike, he's rather unwililng for me to set mine up - he probably thinks I'll take it over. He's 5'9", not 6'0" so its not the most comfortable set up, even with a raised seat post.
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    damage36 wrote:
    As for my saturdays, at the moment at least, its the best time for a long ride. Should I forgo joining my local club and going out on a saturday morning and do my own longer rides? I'm sure my bunch skills need improving, but should that be another new year project?
    Now is as good a time as any to ride club runs I think - it will motivate you to get out when the weather would maybe put you off riding solo and your bunch riding skills will improve. Leave the longer solo rides for the spring when the weather is a bit more pleasant.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I put Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres with Slime inner tubes on the bike for winter and go on club runs with those. Apart from minimising chance of puncture it means when you put "normal" tyres/tubes back your bike feels like its wheels are filled with helium (at least for a week or so)
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • FInally got around to uploading a little video of the 'freemotion homebuilds' from the previous page onto Youtube. Bit of a cr@p video but it shows the fore and aft movement quite well and also the belt driven wind fan on the front:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNSBFAjDq4E
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    Haha derek, I'd forgotten about that, was confused why anyone was posting on my presumed dead topic. Cheers!
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    derekwatts
    I pm'd you regarding your 'set up'. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!