Disgusting Attitude

13»

Comments

• hothead
    hothead Posts: 123
    Typical attitude this. For once we have someone who wins multiple stages in a Grand Tour and we have a go. He's 23, learning yet winning now, imagine him in another 5 years.

I think that if the italians, French or Spanish had Cav they would be talking him up infact I love a good sprinter with attitude, its part of the job. I also believe in a few years on the right course Cav could be a world champ, Will we still be slagging off the guy then?

A lot of people Slag of Andy Murry for arrogance but watch if he wins the US open, soon people will be kissing his Arse.

And one last thing, Its only his second year in the pro circuit and hes winning! A British Cyclist is winning abroad!

Just let him get on with it and get behind him!
  • still say he should have won the madison-solo if neccessary :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'

You've obviously never raced or ridden the track. :roll:

hey kidder! i was all england solo madison champeen 1985-so there!

(youre really not getting this are you?)

hey kidder! i was all england solo madison champeen 1985-so there!

(youre really not getting this are you?)

No. Must be the famous scouse wit :roll:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    To clarify the situation for all the people who just clearly aren't getting it, the unreasonably critical posts by Ste_S, fast as fupp and myself have all been using something known as sarcasm.

Wikipedia's definition of sarcasm is as follows:
    Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing. It is strongly associated with irony, with some definitions classifying it as a type of verbal irony intended to insult or wound. Sarcasm can also be used in a humorous or jesting way depending on the intent of the person speaking.

You can now view our posts in a whole new light. By the way, there's no need to thank me, I'm just here to help.
  • ill say one thing in cav's favour-hes not as big a quitter as that felller on the motorbike who ALWAYS gives up in the keirin just about when hes going to win the bloody race!

damn fool thats what i say!
  • whyamihere
    ill say one thing in cav's favour-hes not as big a quitter as that felller on the motorbike who ALWAYS gives up in the keirin just about when hes going to win the bloody race!

That's true. And what about the team sprint event? 2 of them quit in every race!
  • whyamihere wrote:
    To clarify the situation for all the people who just clearly aren't getting it, the unreasonably critical posts by Ste_S, fast as fupp and myself have all been using something known as sarcasm.

Wikipedia's definition of sarcasm is as follows:
    Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing. It is strongly associated with irony, with some definitions classifying it as a type of verbal irony intended to insult or wound. Sarcasm can also be used in a humorous or jesting way depending on the intent of the person speaking.

You can now view our posts in a whole new light. By the way, there's no need to thank me, I'm just here to help.

mmmmmm isn't that the lowest form of wit :wink:
  • whyamihere
    Sure is. But I'm not wasting the good stuff on a bike forum. That's like using my best bike in the rain. ;)
  • whyamihere wrote:
    ill say one thing in cav's favour-hes not as big a quitter as that felller on the motorbike who ALWAYS gives up in the keirin just about when hes going to win the bloody race!

That's true. And what about the team sprint event? 2 of them quit in every race!

too many quitters in cycling!

i think ill follow soccerball instead all their practitioners are fine upstanding pillars of the community struggling to get by on a pittance

play up barnstoneworth!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    whyamihere wrote:

Spoilsport !

You shouldn't have let them onto it, it was getting interesting :lol:

BTW, am I the only one who thinks Cav looks like a Scouser ?
    Perhaps it's the hair, but every time he's interviewed, I'm expecting a Liverpewl accent.
  • whyamihere
    Yeah, I know, but I could forsee people starting to report the posts because they were getting too worked up. ;)

IoM is quite close to Liverpool, so maybe he has Scouse ancestors...
  • ill say one thing in cav's favour-hes not as big a quitter as that felller on the motorbike who ALWAYS gives up in the keirin just about when hes going to win the bloody race!

:shock: Didn't like him, his stupid little bike or his cocky little smile. Give him a Fireblade and see if he's smiling then :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • whyamihere wrote:
    mmmmmm isn't that the lowest form of wit :wink:

Wit is the highest form of intelligence, though :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • I like him. Honest, normal guy. Loved his "nuffin to learn" comment on the TdF. I can only sprint llike him if I sit with a beer on a Friday evening and close my eyes ....

I really can't understand why he has so many critics.
  • Let's see - he earns his living by pleasing his sponsor - he crashes. What to do I wonder? I know, I'll continue the stage - it doesn't matter if I exacerbate the injury and perhaps not do so well in the Tour of Missouri, because my sponsor, who pays my wages because I'm a guaranteed stage and one-day winner won't mind in the least, will he?

Oh, I forgot, I need to satisfy people I've never met, people who don't, apparently, have the faintest idea of what being a professional cyclist is about and who may never have got anywhere near being a professional, in case they think I'm a quitter.

Yeah, that's right, I turned down a £24k bank salary to "earn" £3.5k on the Talent programme because I'm a quitter. I train throughout the winter, putting in more miles than my critics will ever even attempt, race in the spring classics and semi-classics in the kind of weather that would have my critics not even opening the front door, because I'm a quitter. I risk my neck at 40+mph in bunch sprints because I have no pride in my sport. I gift a Giro stage to the strongest of my leadout train beccause I'm selfish and immature, etc. et bleedin' cetera.

You don't have to speak up for me to hear you more clearly, just turn round and bend over.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Let's see - he earns his living by pleasing his sponsor - he crashes. What to do I wonder? I know, I'll continue the stage - it doesn't matter if I exacerbate the injury and perhaps not do so well in the Tour of Missouri, because my sponsor, who pays my wages because I'm a guaranteed stage and one-day winner won't mind in the least, will he?

Oh, I forgot, I need to satisfy people I've never met, people who don't, apparently, have the faintest idea of what being a professional cyclist is about and who may never have got anywhere near being a professional, in case they think I'm a quitter.

Yeah, that's right, I turned down a £24k bank salary to "earn" £3.5k on the Talent programme because I'm a quitter. I train throughout the winter, putting in more miles than my critics will ever even attempt, race in the spring classics and semi-classics in the kind of weather that would have my critics not even opening the front door, because I'm a quitter. I risk my neck at 40+mph in bunch sprints because I have no pride in my sport. I gift a Giro stage to the strongest of my leadout train beccause I'm selfish and immature, etc. et bleedin' cetera.

You don't have to speak up for me to hear you more clearly, just turn round and bend over.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Well said mike i could not put it any better! Although you only need to say it once! :D

Fact is, if he won every single race in a season some armchair forum expert would say he can't interview or some other guff. Some people don't know their arse from their elbow.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I totally agree that Cav's an incredible talent and him pulling out of races is no sign he's a quitter - God i wish I was half the "quitter" he is. :D

I would say that a couple of choices that he and his team have made have been bad for PR - pulling out of the ToI during the final stage was always going to confuse and annoy people. I'm guessing he started the stage to see how he felt and if fresh enough he'd have challenged Downing for the jersey, but when it got going he was a bit blunt.

Also think it's a shame he and the team haven't put him in the ToB, though understand the US bias of the team was always going to advise that decision.

If he wants a better reception from the UK audience (assuming he does) I do think that the team need to better explain why he's pulling out of/not entering certain races.
  • wicked wrote:
    Well said mike i could not put it any better! Although you only need to say it once! :D

Sorry about that everyone. Strange things were happening on the computer and it kept hanging, so I assumed it hadn't got through. Had to unplug and restart. Then I found out it had been busy working while telling me the site wasn't responding. :oops:
  • BigG67 wrote:
    I totally agree that Cav's an incredible talent and him pulling out of races is no sign he's a quitter - God i wish I was half the "quitter" he is. :D

I would say that a couple of choices that he and his team have made have been bad for PR - pulling out of the ToI during the final stage was always going to confuse and annoy people. I'm guessing he started the stage to see how he felt and if fresh enough he'd have challenged Downing for the jersey, but when it got going he was a bit blunt.

Also think it's a shame he and the team haven't put him in the ToB, though understand the US bias of the team was always going to advise that decision.

If he wants a better reception from the UK audience (assuming he does) I do think that the team need to better explain why he's pulling out of/not entering certain races.

I don't think the green jersey in the Tour of Ireland really interests a guy like Cav. He likes going over the line first, and bear in mind he'd ridden the biggest race in the world and won 4 stages. I can understand him not being bothered about a jersey in a small race (no offence).

And bear in mind - sportsmen at the top of their professions have to have something we lesser mortals don't - arrogance and selfishness. They need it to get to the top. Do you think Cav gives a toss about what a few numpties think on this forum?
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    No I don't think he cares too much, but in my experience top sportsmen do hate bad PR (they are mainly human :wink: ).

Where I do disagree is the ToI green jersey.

Guys like Cav want to win everything, all the time, without exception. It's in their nature.

I'm sure that's why he bothered starting the last stage, but when it just wasn't going to happen I'm guessing that's when he stepped off.

Course I might be wrong.... 8)
  • I like him. Honest, normal guy. Loved his "nuffin to learn" comment on the TdF. I can only sprint llike him if I sit with a beer on a Friday evening and close my eyes ....

I really can't understand why he has so many critics.

I nearly beat him once, but my duvet got tangled up in my legs :oops: .

I note that the ignorant bar steward still hasnt stopped winning. 2 wins in 2 stages in Missouri. Go on Son!