Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I managed to secure a floor pump for around £20 from an evans - made by a company called Wrench Force with very manly writing, and a logo which reminded me of the iron fist of communist russia... I appreciate it enormously and it seems to do the job... Has a gauge too...

Hang on there.....

You have appeared to have outed yourself as a blower upper of your own tyres when you were all

"Gosh, what with me being a burd and all can you inflate my tyres Mr Bike Shop Guy" flutter flutter.

Only a couple of posts ago.

make you rmind up flip flop
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • well if I get speed boost then get-in.
    Any reccomnded brands? Edin Bike coop has £15 I think
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • well if I get speed boost then get-in.
    Any reccomnded brands? Edin Bike coop has £15 I think

I dont own one, but was looking at them in the shop the other day. Looks well made and very decent for the price. I'll be getting one soon, my neighbour must be getting sick of me borrowing his :roll:
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Hehe, wow Where are you Lazaru, I though everyone on here was a flat contour riding suvvoner!

Fess up, Leeds, Manc(scum), Edin(home of the original shop..not really a plus as it's as busy as those fluorescent bikes at Fixedgearlondon, Aber-can you get any further north and remain trendy-deen or Geordieland?

:lol:
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• Hehe, wow Where are you Lazaru, I though everyone on here was a flat contour riding suvvoner!

Fess up, Leeds, Manc(scum), Edin(home of the original shop..not really a plus as it's as busy as those fluorescent bikes at Fixedgearlondon, Aber-can you get any further north and remain trendy-deen or Geordieland?

:lol:

It is a bit Londoncentric this forum isnt it! Im in Edinburgh. The athens of the north, though you wouldnt think it today, its f*****g miserable! (still brought the bike to work though...)
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • cool.. going OT. I was up there not long ago. love it and am appliing for a job.. emailing needs to be done NOW!
    Seen as the coop was busy, we chanced upon Veloecosse (hmm) and the Genesis shop-Bike Trax.. great little place!
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• Greg T wrote:
    I managed to secure a floor pump for around £20 from an evans - made by a company called Wrench Force with very manly writing, and a logo which reminded me of the iron fist of communist russia... I appreciate it enormously and it seems to do the job... Has a gauge too...

Hang on there.....

You have appeared to have outed yourself as a blower upper of your own tyres when you were all

"Gosh, what with me being a burd and all can you inflate my tyres Mr Bike Shop Guy" flutter flutter.

Only a couple of posts ago.

make you rmind up flip flop

Haha! read ther interim posts boyo, the floor pump is in Essex where the bike shops are less conveniently located!! However, due to bike shop guy's insistence that 80psi is the way to go, I may have to start doing my own tyres...
  • Great place to stay, though Ive nowhere to compare it to as Ive been here all my life!

Edin co-op is a busy place. Kind of viewed as a yuppie bike shop in the city, but it being so big you do get some good deals (like the track pump). I remember the place when it was justa single shop front, now it practically takes up the entire street.

Ive never actually been in Veloeccose, but will be paying a visit as I want to jump into the road/ss/fixie world. Im pretty sure that is a quite high end roadies shop?

Good luck with the job hunting.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Interesting... Maybe I will get them up to pressure, I do have a floor pump in essex, where the bike shops are less conveniently located. Bike shop man swears that the lower pressure makes punctures less likely, but I'm unsure, although the tubes haven't gone pop since I started using the lower pressure it seems from the above that that could have been due to many other factors. Max pressure on the tyrewall is 110...

And I will buy nice tyres... promise!

Bikeshop man is talking b0ll0cks. Low pressure makes "pinch" flats more likely. If your max is 110, then go for 90-100, or the full 110.
  • Right, bike shop man, you and I are so OVER... *clicks fingers in that 'you go girl' style that makes me want to throw bricks... *
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    My bike is ready I'm going to pick it up tomorrow... awesome

In other news I bought tickets to All Tomorrows Parties Nightmare before Christmas... a good but fricking expensive couple of days
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Nice one CP. you'll have to show us what you've got and what parts you've used.
    I'm still trying to find a frame but might get a bike ready to ride if it's cheap enough.
    FCN8 Dawes Audax

• Nice one CP. you'll have to show us what you've got and what parts you've used.
    I'm still trying to find a frame but might get a bike ready to ride if it's cheap enough.

Join me in the world of the gollum bike!!
  • Get a load of this singlie wierdos.....!

RD-7800-large_v1_m56577569830563394_2.jpg
  • What IS that?

Am I showing my inexperiance with this question??? :P
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    it is a device for aiding weaklings who are able to cycle a manly 50:2 fixie
  • Clever Pun
    Nice one CP. you'll have to show us what you've got and what parts you've used.

it's my condor pista... 'the build' I'm still working on. Read as waiting for my missus to get me the the phil wood hubs she said she'd buy me 8)
    I'm thinking nitto handlebars and campag crank

he's a question what's the standard size of the nuts on the wheels for track bikes... I'm looking for a lightwieght spanner in case of emergencies (recomendations welcome)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • I actually have a small adjustable spanner, the gollum bike has nuts of varying sizes...

I need to find out what my ratio is... but how?

Also, I need to replace my stem. I'm too stretched out to really use my drops... but I don't know what diameter my handlebars and headset thingy are...

Help!! I am such a newbie!!!

Trying to get rid of me dependence on bike shops... :)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Clever Pun wrote:
    he's a question what's the standard size of the nuts on the wheels for track bikes... I'm looking for a lightwieght spanner in case of emergencies (recomendations welcome)

I couldn't be bothered trying to find one after the third bike shop I went to looked at me blankly when I asked.

I took an angle grinder to an old spanner in the end, to make it fit into my saddlebag.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Clever Pun
    I actually have a small adjustable spanner, the gollum bike has nuts of varying sizes...

front teeth / back teeth * 27 as you've got a proper sized bike
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    http://www.fixedwheel.co.uk/tech.htm

This table should show you your GI once you've counted the teeth front and back (or maybe they're in the original spec of the Gollum Bike TM)

Also has a handy cadence to speed calculator, so you can use a stopwatch, count your pedal strokes per minute (I usually count for 10 or 15 seconds then multiply up by 6 or 4 respectively) and then see how fast you're going.

Before you ask, no I haven't got a copy taped to my handlebars!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    What IS that?

It's a rear derailleur, and worse it's shimNO, bleurgh.

Here's a proper one: IMG_9598-280-80.JPG
  • What IS that?

It's a rear derailleur, and worse it's shimNO, bleurgh.

Oh, it's for a bike with GEARS! :P

Only joking, I do have one of those...

Just went down to count my teeth (on my bike) and some **** has locked their bike to the outside of mine! Use a different effing lamppost you prat! There are a lot of them about! Is a note too passive-aggressive??
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    I actually have a small adjustable spanner, the gollum bike has nuts of varying sizes...

front teeth / back teeth * 27 as you've got a proper sized bike

So that gives me 92.6... is that high?
  • Greg T

You are either:

Shiitting me

or

A Bloke

edited to add......

With a stock 16 cog on the back you'd be "spinning" a 56 tooth Ring......... to get 92 gear inches.....

• Greg T wrote:

You are either:

Shiitting me

or

A Bloke

edited to add......

With a stock 16 cog on the back you'd be "spinning" a 56 tooth Ring......... to get 92 gear inches.....

Well, I can't get to me bike to check it because of some prat, but the place I got it from maintains a 14 tooth sprocket on the back and a 48 tooth thing on the front... (48/14)*27 = 92.57

According to the linkety link though it's 90.5...
  • Greg T
    14 tooth sprocket on the back and a 48 tooth thing on the front... .

Sweet Baby Jesus.

You are pushing a bigger gear than anyone else on this forum......

• il_principe
    14 on the back?

Chapeau!

*hopes he never gets locked in battle with LIT.
  • Greg T
    14 on the back?

Chapeau!

*hopes he never gets locked in battle with LIT.

We seem to have had our arses handed to us by a burd..........

I may need a moment

• You are all luddites!

710503_9996Lrg.jpg