Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    LazyBoycp - Roadie 2 sounds like a proper scalp and I would have thought Sirrus is a moral one (although it can't have been a Sirrus as that's a hybrid). Whatever, they're both muppets.

I had to leave early last night as our laptops were all being taken away for safe keeping from the protestors (yeah, really) and goodness, it is busy at 5.30. Clearly a diferent skills-set is required and I'm not prepared to weave through traffic at the speeds some of those guys do ( was quite comfortable following CJCP the other day btw), so the opportunities for SCR would be severely curtailed if I was travelling at that time every night. :cry:

The bright spot was the first evening commute in total daylight. Yay, summer 8)

Welcome home LiT - they've resurfaced some of the Uxbridge Road for you - did you arrange this for your new bike?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    itboffin wrote:
    Yes a nice CX bike that sounds perfect :twisted:

Kinda like THIS....!!!

49144e23ee8e42cf8d21c305c314e16b.jpg

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

I think I just had a sex wee.... :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Finally I have got a scalp on my ride into work. I rolled up the outside of the traffic and slotted in behind a Nova (drive it like you stole it) with a couple of lads in it. We set off over Marlow Bridge and as we got to the other side they were making signs and shouting and generally being very humerous :? I couldn't work out if it was aimed at me or the queuing traffic the other side of the bridge but who ever it was aimed at I had had enough. I dropped the hammer and over took them. Much to my amusement I got an indignant HEY! as I passed his open window. I kept the power down and blasted on to the roundabouts, slotting behind the dozey woman who pulled out with out looking, and cruised up the High St with them left for dust.

I love scalping chavvie Novas :D
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    ITB - Whilst you keep telling us the Dolan is a CX bike, does it have those lovely knobbly tyres you find on the proper ones?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    OK, so I was reading that thinking 'nah, no scalp, he should have been able to reel them in between the lights' until I got to this bit:
    on my slick-shod MTB, FCN8 with adjusters

and now I'm not so sure.

You could invoke the old 'you RLJ you lose' rule...

Oh, actually, I've just used the FCN calculator in your sig, and it says I'm an FCN9, not 8 (apparently SPDs don't count as -1 for MTBs with skinnies)! Even better! :D
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    LazyBoycp - Roadie 2 sounds like a proper scalp and I would have thought Sirrus is a moral one (although it can't have been a Sirrus as that's a hybrid). Whatever, they're both muppets.

Good spot - sorry, meant 'Allez'. :oops: They were both muppets, but they were at least polite/friendly muppets - both said hello just before RLJing!
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    Quietest commute home ever tonight, clear run all the way along embankment, why can't they have protests ever day...
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Wheeeeeeeee!

I had a great commute home. Take that, RLJing roadies, I scalped and rescalped you b'stards.

Might want to buy a hat to keep your brain warm at night. :twisted:

I'm about to have some food then change my freewheel from an 18t to a 16t... :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I scalped a 4x4 going down Park Street in Bristol the other night, he slowed for a car turning right and I held back a little and let gravity assist in the scalp :D Needed to scalp a tinbox on the drop from 93m above sea level to sea level as I'd been baulked by a ped crossing on Blackboy Hill earlier :( I was quite impresses how quick I stopped from 30+ to 5mph in what felt like a short distance.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Do numptys with lower FCNs count as scalps? Zero road awareness, veering from side to centre of the road....

Utter space cadet.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...the cycle lanes of Stevenage are tops for SCR...plenty of action...struggling on 20 inch wheels now on the Dahon but lots of racing to be had... :D
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Yay the boardman is back from St Halfords hostipal for it's 2nd warrenty replacement shifter :roll: my god they've butchered the bar tape job!

So I'm back in the game! Fair weather commuters of birmingham beware there's a sheriff in town that has been out of town for a couple of weeks due to technical difficulties 8) but is now back again hmm.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...the cycle lanes of Stevenage are tops for SCR...plenty of action...struggling on 20 inch wheels now on the Dahon but lots of racing to be had... :D
    What Dahon? Should help you get off the line sharpish if nothing else...?
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    tooooooo many fairweather peeps out today.....GOING IN THE OTHER DIRECTION, Shame, There would have been many a scalp for me there !
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    On the fixed yesterday, got tiered on the way home, legs needed a rest really, but there were people in front of me… can’t be having that.. there’s a headwind and I take a roadie on a bianchi who looks a bit of a tool with his helmet trying to fall off the back of his head… he doesn’t count even in my weakened state…. Ahead I see 2 fixed guys spinning away talking to each other I catch then and double scalp…. A little later I check my shoulder and all those 3 are there and at least another 5 bikes.. I’m leading a sodding peloton into the wind… b@stards. The 2 guys nip past me at a junction and I take a lift from them for a bit as I’ve had enough say thanks and turn off.

Scalp?

Sod all this morning except a van trying to mow me down, but that was my fault
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Clever Pun wrote:
    On the fixed yesterday, got tiered on the way home, legs needed a rest really, but there were people in front of me… can’t be having that.. there’s a headwind and I take a roadie on a bianchi who looks a bit of a tool with his helmet trying to fall off the back of his head… he doesn’t count even in my weakened state…. Ahead I see 2 fixed guys spinning away talking to each other I catch then and double scalp…. A little later I check my shoulder and all those 3 are there and at least another 5 bikes.. I’m leading a sodding peloton into the wind… b@stards. The 2 guys nip past me at a junction and I take a lift from them for a bit as I’ve had enough say thanks and turn off.

Scalp?

What do they say when they see you spitting blood? :shock:

No really shouldn't you be like taking it easy for a bit???
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    not much this morning except Gordon's convoy coming out through parliament square towards excel,

Followed it all the way to canary wharf, the police biker at the rear had the cheek to tell me to slow down, and not catch up with the convoy, (wanted to have a word with gordon bout his disruptive time as chancellor...) the convoy was only doing about 20mph, then they proceeded to RLJ all the way along embankment!! tut tut
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    What's the score for a cycle courier? Dawes road bike unsure of model, lycra, SPD's, helmet and courier bag.

He took me by going through a red light by Cardiff Castle and went about 50metres ahead, I scalped him and wished him a "good morning" on the way past.

I don't think his heart was in it really, which takes the shine off it!

Sounds like you all have a lot of fun with this in the big smoke.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    flamite wrote:
    not much this morning except Gordon's convoy coming out through parliament square towards excel,

Followed it all the way to canary wharf, the police biker at the rear had the cheek to tell me to slow down, and not catch up with the convoy, (wanted to have a word with gordon bout his disruptive time as chancellor...) the convoy was only doing about 20mph, then they proceeded to RLJ all the way along embankment!! tut tut

Tut tut to you too! :D

I love the thought process of holding the G20 in London though...

G20 organisational committee meeting:

“Right, lets get another G20 summit organised”
    “Great idea, but where should we have it?”
    "How about somewhere remote, easy to secure?"
    "Nah, that's no fun. Hang on, what are people angry about at the moment?”
    “Well, lot’s of things, but I guess banks and bankers are at the top of the list”
    “Ok, well where do banks and bankers hang out”
    “Ooh, Canary Wharf and the City mostly”
    “Ok, they’re in London right?”
    “Yep”
    “And London’s what, Europe’s second largest city?”
    “Yep, and it’s one of the world’s leading financial centres”
    “Is it really? So let me get this right, London’s got lots and lots of people and lots and lots of bankers?”
    “Oh yeah. And you know what else, a lot of those people are really angry at the moment”
    “Are they now, fascinating.”
    “Oh yes. It’s also home to a lot of struggling businesses at the moment”
    “Uh huh”
    “Yep, and it’s in the UK”
    “The UK is pretty much bankrupt at the moment isn’t it?”
    “Yes – well that’s what Merv reckons”
    “Hosting a G20 is pretty expensive right?”
    “Oh yeah, especially if you do it right in the middle of a big, angry city”
    “I’ve just had a brilliant idea”
    “Go on”
    “Let’s hold the G20 in London!
    “I love it”
    “Wait, I’ve not finished”
    “Go on, go on”
    “Let’s hold it in the Docklands; you know, near the city, by all those banks, in that really poor Borough, wassit now?”
    “Tower Hamlets”
    “Yeah that’s it”
    “Brilliant. Sheer genius”
    “Isn’t it. We can close down the hundreds of businesses for a few days, have a massively expensive security operation and cost the economy millions! As well as providing a venue that’s full of angry people and easy for other angry people to get to, and, this is the icing on the cake, we can do all this in the locality of the very institutions that caused this mess in the first place!”
    “Yes! I’ll give Gordon a call now, he’s gonna love this.”
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Scalp?

What do they say when they see you spitting blood? :shock:

No really shouldn't you be like taking it easy for a bit???

pfft I only coughed up blood first thing after the first week, it's just a massive chesty cough that will surprise them

today was the first day I've not spat blood in the morning... cycling is aiding my recovery...FACT. :lol:

in fairness it really is helping as it allows my lungs to be used properly and clear the gubbings out so I feel pretty good when I get to work or home. I'm still pi$$ed off about dropping muscle mass but not a lot I can do about that, except hit the gym again and cycle harder.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    @jash :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Had a good, nay, a great run in this morning.

I woke up unnaturally early for someone who went to bed at about 1am (damn jet lag) and thought 'I will use this time to switch from the 18t to the 16t sprocket'.

Unfortunately, the nut on the sprocket remover was about 1mm too big for my adjustable spanner, so I couldn't get it off, but I'd already taken the wheel off, so I felt I couldn't admit defeat before I'd even changed out of my nightie - gets the day off to a bad start.

So I took 2 links out of the chain and flipped the flop onto the 14t fixed sprocket.

And my word, the combination of the spinny 18t session and the slowly returning strength in my leg made for a good run.

Overtook everyone in my path, including a lycra-ed roadie puffing along at a good speed on his drops, who looked at me with the horror of a man who's just realised he's middle-aged.

I also increased my top speed for 2009 on the SS to 29.6mph. I would have hit 30, I reckon, but for the lights.

Getting faster.... slowly!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Overtook everyone in my path, including a lycra-ed roadie puffing along at a good speed on his drops, who looked at me with the horror of a man who's just realised he's middle-aged.!
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I also increased my top speed for 2009 on the SS to 29.6mph. I would have hit 30, I reckon, but for the lights. !
    :shock:

Top work.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

Overtook everyone in my path, including a lycra-ed roadie puffing along at a good speed on his drops, who looked at me with the horror of a man who's just realised he's middle-aged.!
    I also increased my top speed for 2009 on the SS to 29.6mph. I would have hit 30, I reckon, but for the lights. !

Top work.
    Indeed. We could be in trouble chaps. This could be 'the year of Lit'. Ever thought of giving BC a call, Lit?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    JonGinge wrote:

Top work.
    Indeed. We could be in trouble chaps. This could be 'the year of Lit'. Ever thought of giving BC a call, Lit?

I like your thinking, reduce the competition by sending her to British Columbia.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    And my word, the combination of the spinny 18t session and the slowly returning strength in my leg made for a good run.

Overtook everyone in my path, including a lycra-ed roadie puffing along at a good speed on his drops, who looked at me with the horror of a man who's just realised he's middle-aged.

I also increased my top speed for 2009 on the SS to 29.6mph. I would have hit 30, I reckon, but for the lights.

LIT, are you sure you're not a Terminator or something?

I dunno if I could hit 30mph on the roadie on the flat. Maybe I'm just middle aged ... horror :shock:
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Bassjunkieuk
    @Lit - Top work there and showing some impressive dedication with the bike maintenance. Although I do fear that DDD might explode with glee at the thought of you all greasy in your nightie :lol:

Managed to spot a Cervelo on the way in this morning, just passed the bus garage in Colliers Wood. Oh the activities I have to resort to so I don't go mad whilst in the car........bike spotting is positively the highlight of my commute.
    Still one positive I am picking up from the car is that I can explore a bit. As I have the sat nav on board I just kinda find somewhere that looks interesting or off a route I've already used and go for a look! Found a lovely area yesterday call Netherne-On-The-Hill, just to the east of the A23 near Hooley. All nice new build houses and some lovely views! I think I'm gonna see if I can get a pass for a ride this Sunday to go down there in a more suitable vehicle!

This evening I'm hoping to divert a bit further out and see what Titsey Hill is like and so I can get an idea of the route there for when I do ride down there, just along as no numpties go and decide to crash on the M25 this evening...........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I appreciated a dude on a Colnago today who was wearing pink gloves - rather envious actually...

I had to make an evasive move earlier today - I managed to get stuck in the right lane going round Piccadilly Circus, and in the left lane were two buses who were both turning right across me. I tried to signal and move left but, with an HGV behind me, I ended up taking the safest way out and pulling over onto the pavement by the pedestrian crossing and waiting for the lights to change before hoisting myself back onto the road. I wasn't in danger, but only because I knew being a hero could be a VERY bad move. I wish I hadn't allowed myself to end up in the wrong lane just because there was a gap in traffic as I pulled up to the lights before Piccadilly Circus. A cautionary tale.

Last night's ride home was a PB for the journey, 23.25 time spent moving. But a) there was a wonderful tailwind yesterday and b) it was at 10 at night, so 1/4 of the traffic. I probably also got lucky with traffic lights. And, because I don't have a morning time to combine it with, it doesn't count as a PB since I think they can only be valid taking the whole round trip into consideration.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    including a lycra-ed roadie puffing along at a good speed on his drops, who looked at me with the horror of a man who's just realised he's middle-aged

I must look like that all the time....

Personally I don't think it's a laughing matter.

On a sadder note I have to inform the bretheren (what's the burd equiv?) of a domestic situation that means that I'm going to be living on my own for a while.

Mrs T and daughter Bianchi have had an extended stay in Aus whilst I came home to you know - work and stuff.

Anyway - I took the opportunity to do one or two things that I shouldn't and I've been caught out.

I blame Skype - that clever tinterweb video calling thingy - I thought I'd cleaned up all the evidence and was diligent in getting rid of anything that would have given my transgressions away - however I forgot about the mirror on the wall and the fact that you can see into it via the web cam and have a full view of the living room.....

Where I'd parked my bike

I'm now in the merde big style and have had to banish the bike to the garage where I just know it's not as warm and comfy.

Don't worry I'll make sure I break the news to it gently.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Er guys, I over took a London Dynamo - who races in France and Italy no less - having taken him I immediately burned up, slowed to 13mph and then he pulled up beside me asking if I was alright :? He said he thought I had a mechanical failure. :shock:

So I took it as a challenge and chased him for the rest of my commute. Along the way he told me I was doing well to keep up and that I should join.

Where are my chapeau's? (chapeau's = sp)

:roll:

Anyway

There is no greater pleasure than scalping a person on the same bike as yourself. With all things equal taking their scalp means you are better than them. It is glorious.

Bass wrote:
    @Lit - Top work there and showing some impressive dedication with the bike maintenance. Although I do fear that DDD might explode with glee at the thought of you all greasy in your nightie

You know I re-read LiT's entire post because of that. A man can hope...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Er guys, I over took a London Dynamo - who races in France and Italy no less - having taken him I immediately burned up, slowed to 13mph and then he pulled up beside me asking if I was alright :? He said he thought I had a mechanical failure. :shock:

So I took it as a challenge and chased him for the rest of my commute. Along the way he told me I was doing well to keep up and that I should join.

Where are my chapeau's? (chapeau's = sp)

:roll:

Anyway

There is no greater pleasure than scalping a person on the same bike as yourself. With all things equal taking their scalp means you are better than them. It is glorious.

Bass wrote:
    @Lit - Top work there and showing some impressive dedication with the bike maintenance. Although I do fear that DDD might explode with glee at the thought of you all greasy in your nightie

You know I re-read LiT's entire post because of that. A man can hope...

Chapeau! It is rather impressive to be told you should go racing over on the continent! Just imagine if we pooled all the SCRer's together - I think we could give the pro teams a good run for their money, as long as the next Tour of England takes place in rush hour traffic ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5