Reebok Bikes

Comments

• Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Maybe these should be used as training bikes. Master any trail with one of these (or suspiciously similar Apollo) and when going back to a proper bike the new level of skill will be out of this world!

Plus no time spent cleaning - just throw it in the bin!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    Good to see that snobbery isn't dead... :lol:

Different bikes for different markets, no-one here is likely to be the target customer for Apollo.

I got a couple of bikes recently for my kids. The eldest (11yo) wanted suspension (because "all proper MTBs have it" so I took her down halfords and got her to try picking up an apollo and then a carerra rigid hybrid and then showed here that the apollo suspension didn't actually do anything. Being a sensible girl she chose the hybrid and (for £200) it is a nice bike and she is very proud of it.

The youngest isn't really old enough (and too girly) to appreciate quality and just wanted something that looked "good" and was different to her sisters. So she ended up with a £100 bike with front "suspension". The fact that it weights 8lbs more than her sisters and even I can't move the front suspension much is irrelevent. She loves the style and the colour and I am 100% sure that it will still be going strong when she outgrows it so what is the problem?

Horses for courses.....

btw. wasn't it someone on here that said his best ever ride was over some mountain in wales on an apollo type bike?
  • smep
    smep Posts: 339
    I bought one new off e bay 2 years ago with carbon rear /reba forks and lx discs.Its ok really for what is trouble is no one else thinks so and I can't sell it !!
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    Reebok do a bike with carbon stays?! Wow, please tell us more....
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • Apollo! When I was 10, I bought an Apollo Vendetta (the longest, heaviest, most awkward riding position ever) - from Halfords! Back then it was the best thing I ever bought and I was chuffed with it - went everywhere on it. I even started doing trails on it and started dirt jumping on it(!), which was probably the stupidest thing I have ever done, but it then led me to get a "decent" mountain bike and take my hobby further.

I now realise what a stupid bike it was, and that it is the worst piece of crap I have ever laid eyes on.

If there weren't these sorts of bikes around, then that age of children would probably never get into the sport!

Now, every time I see an Apollo, I cringe, and take pity that they wasted so much good money on it, but I also remember that everyone starts somewhere, even if it is on a slab of lead with trolley wheels on! It is cycling after all!

Long live the apollo!
    Hardtails aren't called hardcore for no reason

Giant STP: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996804/
    Spesh Hardrock: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996822/
  • smep
    Yes carbon stays quite attractive really e mail to steve smep@smep.karoo.co.uk for pics as I am such a mupet that I dont know how to download pics here.Steve
  • robotsuk
    robotsuk Posts: 56
    lool, my neighbour has a reebok bike, and he thinks its the real deal, forks are shit, have no lockout or compression adjustment, and the rear shock is bouncy as fuck????
    wtf

they are shite
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    RBK bikes suck. Give me a Shockwave from Halfords anyday. Or one of those 80lb beasts from Motorworld that cost £79.99. Now that's what I'm talking about.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • smep
    my reebok singlespeed appears to ride the local trails quite well. it has carbon rear stays,came with lx discs on alex td17 rims /reba sl forks with a truvativ chainset truvativ bars/stem/post.probably ripped off when i bought it new as i cannot sell it on e bay oh well !!
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    When was the last time you saw a 40lb Apollo full susser out on a proper trail?
    Sound like a good subject for a thread; "PICTURES OF CRAP 'BIKES' ON TRAILS" There could even be a score system like they've got for the Silly Commuting Game.
  • Spotted!! cannock chase follow the dog trail AND stiles cop Black route! Some sort of crap low end supermarket bikes with foot wide tubing, BUT! the little guy on it had tryed reeeealy hard and had taken of the decals and replaced them with kona stickers i nearly cried but my mate riding his Kona Stab DH ACTUALY DID!
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    leehine wrote:

Sticker. You can see where it's peeled off by the rear dropout. It also says aluminium in the item name :P

On the subject of poor bikes on trails, I did two red trails (Grizedale North Face and Gisburn) on a Universal full-susser I bought off a mate for £30. The front forks "worked" until they got dust in them, and the rear suspension moved about an inch every time I pedalled. Hully Gully was incredibly hairy with 40mm of front suspension :P Probably for the best it's now broken into bits and scattered around my uni campus, otherwise I might do something even more stupid.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Or you could ask the importers if they did that bike - http://www.montereyindustries.co.uk/Con ... terey.aspx
  • chedabob
    Or you could ask the importers if they did that bike - http://www.montereyindustries.co.uk/Con ... terey.aspx

Loving the stock photo on their home page :P
  • Hyufsko
    Hyufsko Posts: 37
    I can't imagine the quality they put into a £250 full susser.

This -

http://www.jjbsports.com/magna-charger- ... oduct/8979

- Now that looks amazing.

Specialized FSRxc Comp '10
  • RevellRider
    The Magna Charger comes from a different supplier. I know, because I used to work for JJb and sell these BSO's for a living
  • Hyufsko
    Hyufsko Posts: 37
    Did you sell many? They look dangerous. Look at whats joining the top of the rear shock onto the frame.

Specialized FSRxc Comp '10
  • chedabob
    Hyufsko wrote:
    Did you sell many? They look dangerous. Look at whats joining the top of the rear shock onto the frame.

They're pretty sturdy. I stacked my Universal a few times and the frame was fine. Probably because it's made out of lead. It weighed a feckin tonne.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I understand that a lot of people got into mountain biking as kids with things like Apollos (I had a Diamondback but I really wanted a Muddyfox (actually I STILL want a fluorescent yellow MF)) but if my kids show even the slightest interest in riding (and I'll be starting on them at an early age) I'll happily get them something like an Islabike or equivalent.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    leehine wrote:

seller's quote ;
    "just look at the frame ! a picture paints a thousand words"

Yep and every one of them spells sh*te :D
    nearly wet myself :lol::lol:
  • RevellRider
    Hyufsko wrote:

My store, probably averaged 25 bikes a week. Chedabob is right, they were built like tanks, some of them weighed the same too. I worked there for 7 years (supervisor pay rates are kinda nice) and I never saw one come back with a broken frame. I did see one with a bent swingarm, but every other component attached to it was bent as well
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Reebok HT actually looks to have a bonded carbon seatstay, while the rest is stickered.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    supersonic wrote:
    The Reebok HT actually looks to have a bonded carbon seatstay, while the rest is stickered.

is that an endorsement ? (snigger)
    best start stockpiling them now.
    :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, no, but it is a generic far eastern HT with bonded carbon. Be under other names too.

They kick out lots of cheap carbon on ebay, you can get whole carbon frames for 200 quid.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Here's a thought. how's about at the next forum meetup, we all bring a sub-£100 bike, and do at least one lap of whatever trail centre we're at? Should be a giggle.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    lol, those reboks are funny. I saw someone on a Apollo FS 26 heading up the clib on The Wall ( a bit of a beast, if you havent ridden it) quite happily, hammering up. Got to the top and he looked slightly more dead, and then saw him in the caf later covered in cuts and bruises and looking absolutelly mullered. poor guy!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ^^He probably still had fun though eh?
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    ^^He probably still had fun though eh?
    maybe... but he looked like a beaten man by the end.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    saw a boy with presumably his dad riding up the spooky woods ascent a few weeks back - the boy was on a supermarket bike and it was bouncing, rattling and creaking like crazy and his dad on an s-works ht stumpjumper. Seemed a bit unfair :D