Reebok Bikes

Nick Dastardly
Nick Dastardly Posts: 606
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Ok, I've never ridden one but I very much doubt they'll be troubling any of the big manufacturers any time soon.

Reebok bikes on sale at JJB Sports

But think about it, you've just spent £4000 on your dream bike and understandably you're worried about the local chavs nicking it. Spend £279.99 on the RBK Power, leave it locked up (with the free lock) next to your new bike, and it's obvious which one the chavs will go for. Genius.
"The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Oooooh looks like the puppies nuts that does. Think I'll have to sell me Stumpy and get one.

Saw someone out on a Reebok bike the other day, looked exactly like an Apollo shockwave with a different sticker :lol: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    my train of thought went

reebok bikes? oh god we gotta push them away from that idea
    nick dastardly posted it? hmm this could be interesting
    *click*
    my my thats a pretty good idea really

bit expensive for an anti theft device that might not work really. imagine the security you could get for £280
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    well my new Nike bike is gonna p1ss right over that one, mine's got better decals!
    spammer
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unfortunately these excuses for bikes have been about for years.

No full spec list either. The Halfords lazy 'couldn't give a damn' management ideals must be catching on.
  • Pippen33
    EXACTLY. Back in 1995 my dad had some left overs from a car he bought and decided to buy me & bro a bike each, from Halfords. We had a choice from Apollo, and er, Apollo. I got zero suspension and my older brother got front. I was quite gutted at the time but soon realised that his forks were just a gimmick. And probably still are.
    spammer
  • cool.hwhip
    cool.hwhip Posts: 24
    i love the specs they have for them. This is surely the greatest description for any bike though:

"Forks - Suspension"

FANTASTIC!

What slightly annoys me is that people can take the same money they would spend on a reebok bike and buy a good bike.
  • supersonic
    Exactly - it is pure laziness on JJBs part. Not that it would be a good fork anyway, maybe they are trying to hide it!

And as you say, much better bikes to be had!

Oh, Tesco bike descriptions can be good. Brakes: Front and Rear. That's a relief!
  • Pippen33
    Even better are the disclaimers that come with them. 'Riding this bike may cause serious personal injury or death'. Most likely the latter.
    spammer
  • You guys will possibly be even more surprised /shocked /annoyed when you hear where I first saw this advertised...........

Ok, so I know all advertising pays money and a full page in a very popular nationwide magazine probably doesn't come cheap, but these are advertised in this month's (August :? ) MBUK! Bit worried some newcomers are going to spend their hard earned cash on one of these thinking it's a proper mountain bike. That said you get what you pay for and they don't exactly break the bank, plus it's probably keeping the cost of the magazine down for the rest of us.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Those RBK bikes will never get nicked, the Chavs have been gorging on fast food and Sunny D will not be able to lift it, let alone get the wheel off to put it in the Saxo/corsa/clio

Joking apart, another few quid could buy a decent bike from a proper shop

I suppose thsy have to be strong to take the weight of the rider, I hope the build quality is good enough to stand years of being at the back of the shed, or outside by the back door in all weathers
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • cool.hwhip
    cool.hwhip Posts: 24
    I think im becoming slightly sorry for the RBK bikes and the lives they will lead/will not lead. They may never even see a trail.....
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    Has anyone seen those £100 dual suspension monsters they do at JJB?
    The front suspension doesn't work. it's just a MASSIVE rigid fork, and the back suspension is just awful and useless for anything but making your pedaling less efficient.
    They weigh about 60lbs aswell - it's RIDICULOUS,
    Why do people do this to themselves? and more importantly WHY do people make them and sell them?!
  • lunaeventer
    lunaeventer Posts: 420
    Did anyone hear about the cardboard bikes that someone has made a prototype for?

Reckons they will sell for about £15 if a manufacturer takes on the idea - only designed for commuting use not trails I hasten to add! :lol:
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    Maybe just for comedy value one of the mags could take them to the trails and review them, hopefully it'll open all these shoppers eyes up to the s!?t they're buying. Kinda like the supermarket bikes test they did a while back, that was a fun read!

I tried lifting one off the shelf one day and after trying twice I realised it wasn't actually bolted down!
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • stumpyjon
    Oh, Tesco bike descriptions can be good. Brakes: Front and Rear. That's a relief!
    Not so much a spec description as a basic legal requirement :roll:

Alex

That does sound like a really good idea. I'd love to see a few bikes getting scores of 1 or 2 in MBR and the like. I always check out the reviews of the products with the lowest scores first :twisted: (just hope it isn't something I've just bought :oops: ).

• saintadolf
    saintadolf Posts: 245
    ok my mate actually got one of the reebok bikes in a sale for 65 quid and for that kind of money it is incredibly good threadless headset, disc brakes, 24 gears and whilst i wouldnt try anything more major than the graveled family cycle trails near me in the new forest on the fork its good enuff to soak up road bumps and uneven tracks so dont knock um til uve tried them.
    06 Kona Blast with RS Tora solo airs :)
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Ah the lovely reeboks...its all about profit margins...JJB are supplied by some of the largest uk distributors, Moore large, Raleigh etc, so they can get their hands on some decent stuff if they want to, but they wont make as much profit, they have occasionly had diamond backs, raleighs, muddy foxs with far better spec than the reeboks for not much more money (normally below RRP). But i cant see them changing their ways any time soon. As far as specs go, there's not much in it, £240 will get you a light alloy frame, sram sx4/shimano ef50,tourney,altus, tektro/promax mechanical discs,kenda tyres, which last time i looked comes on all the mainstream manufactures for more money, in my opinion if they didnt have Reebok written on them, this thread probably wouldnt of started.
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    I was really thinking more along the full suss models they have. The difference is there are not many mainstream manufacturers that even try developing a full suss bike for £250 and the one I have heard of the decathlon rockrider bike is actually reviewed ok.

Reebok full suss frames are just shocking, they really shouldnt be called mountain bikes it gives people the wrong idea and would be dangerous
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    i like the tests they used to have in decathalon stores showing their frame would twist horrifically and then go back to normal shape. not what i want to see.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    If people weren't so stupid shite bikes like this wouldn't exist.
  • My friend's missus has an Apollo FS bike and she asked me to give it a service a while back - and it truly was a joke of a bike! I got the scales out and it weighed almost 40lbs!!! The front and rear suspension was ridiculous and the gripshifters were appalling!

I advised her to flog it on ebay and use the proceeds to put towards an entry level Spesh, Trek, or Mongoose or something!
    My Build is almost complete - I just need some wheels and pedals!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    saw one on the train the other day, the chav that owned it thought anyone that looked at it was going to nick it including me when i stared at the oversize stem, horrible welding to make it look like a chunky freeride rig and the weak looking spoke lacing on the wheels with the low end cable disc brake.

As far as sports shops go a pilch shop in norwich has started doing bikes. They seem to have got it right though as when i had a look I was surrouned by marins and GTs
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • dhxcme
    chavs have got to ride something. tbh I wouldn't want them riding an Orange as it devalues the brand. If they are ridng that junk their not forcing the value of my bike down.
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    These types of bike are horrendous, but I see them in the context of what they are actually used for, despite the marketing men using mtb styling as a sales tool.

You can happily ride one mile to the shops on any bike. The folk who buy £150 full sussers are not interested enough in cycling to care or know better.

When was the last time you saw a 40lb Apollo full susser out on a proper trail? Never (somebody tell me I'm wrong, I would love to hear about it). These are short journey town bikes, and that's pretty much all they are used for, and while you could spend your money on something more suitable, they probably do the job okay.
  • stumpyjon
    Dragged my neighbour out over Easter on his Apollo FS :lol::lol::lol::lol: . Forks completely collapsed when he sat on it so no travel. Rear shock just pogoed. Heavy as hell and the gears didn't work.

Must have got the biking bug though as he went out and bought a Scott Aspect 45 the week afterwards. He's still riding it now. The loop we did the first time (8.7miles) took him over 3 hours, he's now doing it in 1hr 15 mins. I'm not defending the bike, it was crap, but if he hadn't had it in the garage he wouldn't have come out that first time and wouldn't be riding now.

Best thing was it was originally bought for his missus :shock:

• MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    I see - people do try it, but their bikes fall apart so quickly we're not likely to ever see 'em actually riding. Glad to hear you neighbour was interested enough to have another go.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Spotted: Terrible old Apollo fs trying to work its way up the Glentress red with one very tired individual on it.
  • dhxcme
    all you can do is give them encouragement.

encouragement to buy a better bike.
  • supersonic
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Not so much a spec description as a basic legal requirement :roll:

Yes lol, but would be nice to know what they are!
  • stumpyjon
    Do most Tesco bike customers know that brakes come in more than one flavour? :lol: Do Tescos know there is more than one type of brake (or which way round a fork goes for that matter :twisted: ).

Maybe they don't need to tell you waht sort of brake they've specced, none of the work anyway :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, hard morning at work, and I needed to kick something, Tesco seems like an ideal candidate, have you seen how much bread costs now (must be subsidising all those top end MTBs they're selling).