Cotswolds,Gloucestershire.......

13»

Comments

• dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    Whats the idea for tomorrow? Dunno how nice birdlip woods will be like at the moment. leckhampton hill will be disgusting for sure.
  • Leckhampton always seems to fair a bit better than Cleeve... although with the rain over the last week it'll be pretty sticky!

Cranham woods will be interesting
  • Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    i'll be finished work about 10am
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • dirtbiker100
    Leckhampton always seems to fair a bit better than Cleeve... although with the rain over the last week it'll be pretty sticky!

Cranham woods will be interesting
    hmmm trying to think of a route that won't be a muddy mess and can be cut short ha ha. brownstone you have any ideas?
    On a lovely dry saturday i wouldn't mind trying this one:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 5423173053 but dunno if thats going to be a washout and being stuck at painswick beacon with clogged down bikes will be all that fun.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 9200789029
    this is another route that we can easily cut short, make longer and most of it is nice to ride - I rode it in the rain earlier in the week. Just dunno where to park though.
  • It's all going to be muddy! I'm going for a road ride instead today :oops:

Although I don't persistent rain is forcast, so it'll be bearable.
    I don't know Cranham that well, but most of it's easy to cut short ias it skirts the roads.
  • danbdu
    danbdu Posts: 46
    Hi All
    I've recently moved to Banbury and looking to check out Leckhampton hill. How bad is it if it's been raining? Don't mind the mud at all but not keen if it doesn't roll too well. Just need somewhere to ride during the week that isn't too much of a drive. I go to Cannock most weekends but need something closer for the mid week rides. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dan
  • Hi, Are any of you guys riding Cranham / Painswick Beacon at the moment (in the dark!)
    I live in Painswick and started riding again this summer.
    Met a couple of guys out when I was stuggling and panting (on my bike!) around the woods.
    Would like to meet up if anyone is around into the future?
  • dirtbiker100
    i'm not at the moment but am planning on getting some decent lights within the next month or so. went over cleeve hill tonight with my hope 1 led and it was awesome (cold) fun so will be up for birdlip definitely. will reply on this thread when i upgrade the lights!
  • Cleeve is great for night riding- nice and open but does get cold!!

Maybe arrange a Cranham run one eve?- could meet at Royal William
  • I invested in some Ay Up lights and did so because of their write ups they have recieved and also the fact that Stuart (Distributor) lives nr. Stroud...so I suppose buying locally!

He was even kind enough to delivery them in person by his MTB!

Customer Service and lights are superb and great off rode. even took it upon myself the other night to go further than I have ever been. Had no idea where I was (actually on the side of Cranham), but managed to get over a Spring/Stream all in the dark, on my own.

At 37yrs old this is Rock n Roll! ;)
  • dirtbiker100
    ah ha, i'm planning on getting ay-up's too. think i may see if i can go pick them up too as its not that far away and would save someone postage costs and time.
    what ay-up's did you get GsterProphet? mtb kit is my plan. can't wait!

I agree browstone with cleeve being good night riding. I went up from sainsbury's up harp hill/agg's hill to the radio masts for a bit of a warm up (ha ha jesus) then my best bit - rode down along the middle of the escarpment sort of along the sheep paths all the way to the golf club. that is one serious way to test your balance and nerve, especially with a commuter light!

heading to birdlip/painswick this afternoon at about 2pm which should be good. see how muddy it is too, cleeve was a complete state but then i did end up on a descent that the cows had used as a motorway in the rain :lol:
  • Although the weathers been ok the last week it's still real muddy in the woods @ Cranham, but it's relieved somewhat by all the fallen leaves, so it's only in the real gloop holes that there's massive muddy puddles
  • Although the weathers been ok the last week it's still real muddy in the woods @ Cranham, but it's relieved somewhat by all the fallen leaves, so it's only in the real gloop holes that there's massive muddy puddles

Hi DirtRider, I got the MTB kit and think it was a great choice for me. The whole package (neoprene big bag and mini bags for all components is such a nice touch,) is fantasticlly well thought out and designed. Charing is easy via mains or 12v car socket and all leads are provided, so a try 'plug and play' solution.
    I am sure you will be surprised by the size and weight (lack of it) of the lights and battery packs and also the light output. The MTB twin lights are more than enough to blast around the Cotswolds and look a little different from other lights, which I think is a good thing IMO.

I used to run Lupines, very good but v. expensive, but I honestly prefer the Ay Ups.
    Also got a headband, so multi functional as I use them for night time dog walking after my rides, so how could the wife complain about the outlay of money for such a kit? ;)

I am out tomorrow morning, I'm the big bloke on a white C'dale! :)
  • What do you guys think is better for a newcomer? Painswick through Cranham or Lecky hill?
  • Leckhampton has more challenging bits, but it's more 'contained'.

So if you're worried about getting lost, do leckhampton, but if you're worried about too much downhill, do Cranham.

Cranham's better if you go with someone that knows the routes, whereas up Lecky you can just mess about on top of the hill and then scoot back down to the car park when you're finished- and you don't have to go via the downhil runs- just roll down the main fire road track bit
  • Thanks mate. Just need to find some riding partners now! The new bike is ready tomorrow or Tuesday :lol:
  • By the way i've found some clips of cranham woods trails.

http://www.vimeo.com/2387641
  • Hey guys,

I am just wondering if you guys still ride at these named places? i would like to come riding with you all at some point, either this weekend, or poss next if anyone is about?

I live in devizes so bit of a trek to go on my own, plus i dont know any routes out this way so would be good it you kind people could show me :)

Just to warn, im not the quickest of people, but im not too slow either, :)

cheers guys
    signaturepz.png
    Southwestxc - The Riders Choice.
    Local Rides In The South Of England.