Cotswolds,Gloucestershire.......

Comments

• Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    i think it would be better for me to say a no no during the week but if anyone wants to ride at a weekend i am up for it, my wife/job is too unpredictable during the week. I can only say i was gutted i didnt manage to make it, i havent been out for a fortnight now which is the longest period i have had without riding since january
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    Next week tuesday or thursday night depending on weather and which night is best for everyone?

I should be able to make it on Thursday, might manage to persuade my mate to come along too... But we wouldnt be able to get there before 5 i shouldnt think.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    Well my work mates finish at 4.30 and will ride from cheltenham up to birdlip so the absolute earliest they could make would be 5.

Well if we pencil in thursday evening for about 5.15? not sure what the weather will be like next week though - we'll see closer to the time.

seperately - I popped into my LBS last night to get a new chain and was having a chat, but they were wanting to close up quickly as were going for a 15 person group ride around birdlip - down the trails we were on! I missed out there!
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    which LBS is that? because i was chatting to the guys in mine the other day and they were saying that they sometimes ride up Birdlip too - sounds like its a popular place!
  • dirtbiker100
    Its one in cirencester called Ride 24/7. they're a nice little shop and the guys are polite etc but i feel knowledge/experience is thin on the ground with some of them though.

I'd never really heard of birdlip, only the main hills near cheltenham (leckhampton and cleeve) but I love going there, always new challenges.

Might go up there tomorrow morning depending on the weather. Sunday isn't looking great i must admit...
  • The weather is looking good for early next week, prob going to ride 3 times if I can Tuesday,Thursday and Saturday.

Anyone interested in Cleeve hill or Leckhampton not to technical more of a fitness boost let me know.

Im up for Cranham Dirtrider so let me know when you will be up there again , took the wife up Yesterday but didnt find all the good spots :cry: .
  • Bossangel
    me and forget rafe are up for a ride tonight if anyone else is. Interesting comments about the LBS, mine doesn't do off ride he is a commuter, he also has a shop in earls court
  • Looks like it might be rain for the rest of the week, anyone up for a ride tonight???
  • dirtbiker100
    Bit short notice for me and the bikes really dirty from the weekend :'(

I was going to mention the rain although some of the guys here are still wanting to go!
    I'm gonna have a think tomorrow night as to what to do but its looking like i'll still be riding on thursday.
  • Bikes in for a service tomorrow so should be done for Thursday let me know the when and where, Im gonna have a quick blast up Leckhampton later....
  • Hey people. I have just moved to Cirencester. Does anyone know of any decent trails or decent places to ride in or around cirencester (cycling distance) or is Cheltenham the only option?

Is there any good places at all to ride in Cirencester.

Thanks...
  • dirtbiker100
    I guess i'm the best to reply to this? firstly what type of riding do you do? experienced or beginner?

You can go for rides around Cirencester - theres always bridlepaths etc but if you ask me if you want proper mountain biking the nearest places with semi dedicated bike trails are leckhampton hill, birdlip/cranham woods (see the rest of this thread :) ) and cleeve hill. further afield theres forest of dean, bristol and even across the severn river at cwmcarn etc.

I live in South Cerney and theres a fair few younger (18-25) guys that often ride together doing pretty much anything - xc through to dh, freeride, jumps etc.
    You'd be welcome to join our rides and grab a lift from someone. A few of us from this thread met up and had no idea how well the others rode and all had fun so don't worry about skill levels. I regularly ride with beginners up to pretty much national level riders so can invite those to suit the skill level :D.

Finally i've seen mtb'ers around cirencester even with camelbaks and decent bikes but i've no idea where they've been and always miss them before i can ask.
    You could always pop into ride24/7 the bikeshop in the woolmarket and ask them for local rides. Last time i was in there they were closing quickly to dash over to birdlip to ride before dark.
  • Anybody up for riding tomorrow night?
  • dirtbiker100
    There is still a plan and (surprisingly) willing riders to meet at 5/5.15pm up at Birdlip like last time to do that route again.
    I'm willing to go if people turn up. I'll hide my tears when the bike gets muddy. Normally it doesn't get tremendously muddy up there unlike leckhampton hill.
    If everyone who was interested turned up there would be 11. But how many will be put off by the expected rain or other things I do not know.

Weather
  • dirtbiker100
    yep i'm happy to do a weekend. bossangel was thinking about a weekend too.
    Doubt this one but maybe the next one? 12th july?
  • Bossangel
    12th july would be a winner for me. I would like a longer ride though if your up for it, i have some serious fat to burn and fitness to regain
  • Ill see you tomorrow rain or shine at 5.

The weekend of the 12th sounds good as well, busy with my daughters 4th birthday the following week.

But how long are we talking could prob manage 30km at a push but might have a few breathless moments!!!!
  • Bossangel
    30 clicks works for me but also may breathe through my backside occasionally
  • -Tuffer-
    -Tuffer- Posts: 25
    Hey there, I would like to join in on the rides, I live in Minchinchinhamton (Stroud)!
    Never done anything like this before but i do alot of dirt jumping, so wouldn't know what to expect? Any help? My bike is being fixed the crank arm came off! What sort of bike would be suitable for what you do, would a Norco Manik suit?
    Where can you get a RED BULL HELMET???
  • dirtbiker100
    you'd fit in with some of the other riders who prefer jumping - especially the one who loves norco's :D he rides a norco six 3 (http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... three-9951 but with random parts...). If you're around this sunday we'll be having more of a fun ride than a xc fitness ride I expect so if you're from dirt jumping but wanna have a decent go at technical trails please come along!
    well if my finger is alright that is... worried i fractured it tonight going over the handlebars after the back kicked up on a jump :cry: heh heh

those who couldn't make it tonight though - great ride again. a few crashes to help keep the standard going :D wasn't a long ride but fun riding was had.
    thinking about weekly rides on thursdays and maybe tuesdays. Next saturday 12th aiming to do a decent long XC ride around birdlip (30km?). I'll think of a route from leckhampton hill to painswick beacon and back again?
  • -Tuffer-
    I would of loved to but im not sure when my bike is guna be ready, they said they where guna order the crank arm on monday and i should have it back by either wed/thurs hopefully bit of a bummer! Lookin to buy another bike thou not sure either a dj or downhill? What u think?
    Ye that sounds good il come along with both groups when the bikes ready, wana try everything!
    Tht Norco six is pretty sweet! Ooo thats not pretty comin over the handlebars.
    Would like to come along on the 12th ive got nothing planned!
  • dirtbiker100
    well if you can try and get something that can cope with everything really. that manik could handle a lot so i'd stay with it for a while. gears so can go up, hard built so go downhill and jump. some downhillers use hardtails so wouldn't worry about that. my bike really can handle everything trail centre xc, heavy dh, 10ft+ freeride drops so i love it.
    give us a shout when the cranks are sorted and i'll let you know what rides are happening.
  • Great ride again guys, really enjoying it, ribs are a bit sore :( but ill live be good for tuesday I reckon.

I going to have a look at a few maps and see if I can work out a good route from Leckhampton to Painswick Beacons ill try and post it sometime this weekend.
  • -Tuffer-
    Ye im still going to keep it, just want another so it doesnt stop me riding if one is damaged, what bike do you ride then???, sounds good???
    Ye i will do cant wait to get started!
  • Bossangel
    Are still on for this weekend, i know its the fairford tattoo so traffic will be a pain, Looking like i have to work the morning but well up for an afternoon thrash round
  • dirtbiker100
    ah yes fairford forgot about that. i dunno - how late in the afternoon as i was going to be going to a BBQ at some point in the afternoon. i'll find out exactly what time it'll be for me

Is anyone riding thurday (tomorrow) night? i dunno if i can make it this week.
  • Bossangel
    i will see if i can bunk work and make the morning then if that is easier
  • Rain :x Rain :x Rain :x

I really hope its not shaping up to be like last year!!!!