top speed

Comments

• jed1978
    jed1978 Posts: 87
    fastest on flat is 34mph

fastest on hill is about same (get the fear)

fastest on turbo 54.2mph
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    jed1978 wrote:
    fastest on hill is about same (get the fear)
    Try to work on your descending- find a nice straight one (if you have a route, if you know the bends it works better, but straight is best to start.) If you can do that sort of speed on a trainer (I presume you were not skydiving at the time) it seems a pity to miss it on the open road. Head down, arse up, knees and elbows in- and just FALL.
  • skupp
    skupp Posts: 3
    I got 31.4 mph, not too bad for a single speed I thought, hope to improve on it somehow, as it was my first ride in 12 years :)

Cheers!
    Daniel.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Just outside Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on the Taif-Riyadh Highway is a series of three escarpments. Terminal speed on the third escarpment was 105kph (65.24mph). A never-to-be repeated feat; well not by me, once was enough!
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Just outside Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on the Taif-Riyadh Highway is a series of three escarpments. Terminal speed on the third escarpment was 105kph (65.24mph). A never-to-be repeated feat; well not by me, once was enough!

:shock:
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    53.5 or thereabouts coming down Snap Hill, Ogbourne St. George on the TCR - it was very hairy and too fast. That is my top.
    Regularly hit 45 to 47 mph coming down Oare Hill though and this is fine.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    37 mph on the flat with a 50/12 gear and 43.6 the other day dropping down the hill into Cromer on the A148, always supprises the car drivers as you reovertake them after cutting you up near Felbrig :lol:
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    markos1963 wrote:
    37 mph on the flat with a 50/12 gear and 43.6 the other day dropping down the hill into Cromer on the A148, always supprises the car drivers as you reovertake them after cutting you up near Felbrig :lol:

There's a stretch on one of my commute routes where 35 mph is possible....slight downhill, and yes it's really funny the look on there faces when a fat bloke on a bike whizzes past them!!!! Priceless :D
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • Phekdra
    Phekdra Posts: 137
    67kph coming down a hill that didn't seem that steep but decided to go on forever. That's about 41.5mph I think. That's probably going to be close to my limit - I could feel my cheeks beginning to peel back like those astronauts in artificial gravity centrifuges :D and the bumpy road meant that my eyeballs were vibrating so badly I could no longer see...

Oh, what the hell, I'm going to have to break 70kph, now. After reading some of the speeds on here I can see that I don't have bragging rights until I'm significantly effected by time dilation. :shock:

Phekdra
  • Climber_Andy
    Climber_Andy Posts: 852
    49mph a few weeks ago coming down EITHER Bulmer Bank or Terrington Bank in a TT; I'm not sure which one, but I know that I would have gone for the brakes if I'd known what I was doing :lol: still can't believe it was so quick down there....
  • robrauy
    robrauy Posts: 252
    46 mph on the other side of Ditchling.

Never been that fast before. Fantastic ride - enjoyed every minute!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    49mph a few weeks ago coming down EITHER Bulmer Bank or Terrington Bank in a TT; I'm not sure which one, but I know that I would have gone for the brakes if I'd known what I was doing :lol: still can't believe it was so quick down there....

:shock: That must of been scary as on bulmer bank its like a valley and you fly down it then suddenly slow down as there is 17% each way and the road is crap, proberbly was Terrington, on day I was doing a TT and it was wet and I got about 35mph going down there I was scared to go faster as I thought I might slip, just seems like there is a big wall at about 43mph for me and I cant get past it. Just like on a flat road at about 33mph it feels like a big wall and I cant get any faster and just trying to get even 1mph faster requires more energy than I possibly have.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    My top speed of 40.2mph came the flat drafting speeding cars in a 30mph area. That was on my old bike, best I've managed on my new bike was 39.8mph drafting speeding cars in a 30mph area.

Any really long steep hills in North East Wales to smash my record?

(Incidently I've heard drivers moan about it being difficult to get under 30mph in that zone, I struggle to get under 30mph on my bike even when there's no cars to draft :shock: , it's because you have a short steepish decent before the flat with a 50mph limit, but it's poorly surfaced)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    You guys (and gals) are fucking crazy!! :lol:

There aren't many hills around here of note. Short, sharp drops mainly but I've yet to go over 38mph knowingly on my Allez.

Reckon I could up that by a few mph on the Izoard but haven't fitted my Cateye V3 yet (having first service and stem flipped first) but when I do I think my heart rate will be the only thing of any note.

However, I can understand the view that once you get above a certain speed you might as well keep accelerating. When I've been nearing 40mph "if I come off now this will be really,really messy" has been the primary thought.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    I hit 34 mph down the hill to Ilfracombe on Wednesday (on my hardtail mtb).
    I hit 5 mph on the climb back out via Slade and Lee :lol:

North Devon is mega but it's nice to be home.
    Powered by Haribo.
  • wingnut1
    wingnut1 Posts: 55
    I hit 49mph coming down into Brighton last Sunday, didn't have a problem with the speed but I was overtaken by two guys on a tandem doing 52mph :shock:

Very very funny!
  • robrauy
    robrauy Posts: 252
    wingnut1 wrote:
    I hit 49mph coming down into Brighton last Sunday, didn't have a problem with the speed but I was overtaken by two guys on a tandem doing 52mph :shock:

Very very funny!

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • s1mon
    s1mon Posts: 618
    Hi,

44.8mph last weekend, down hill near where I live. Found it in the car and thought I must be able to hit 40mph so headed out that way on my next ride, couldn't believe I got to 44.8, reakon I can get a little bit more. I did tink this as I was going down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-zTjcO5YWY :lol:

Simon.
  • Climber_Andy
    Climber_Andy Posts: 852
    willhub wrote:

:shock: That must of been scary as on bulmer bank its like a valley and you fly down it then suddenly slow down as there is 17% each way and the road is crap, proberbly was Terrington, on day I was doing a TT and it was wet and I got about 35mph going down there I was scared to go faster as I thought I might slip, just seems like there is a big wall at about 43mph for me and I cant get past it. Just like on a flat road at about 33mph it feels like a big wall and I cant get any faster and just trying to get even 1mph faster requires more energy than I possibly have.

It's not so bad, I just tell myself that it feels fast but that I can get round the left uphill corner which is the start of Bulmer Bank on momentum... you need all the speed you can get. I think you beat me in that hilly TT btw :wink:

Terrington was dodgy, but not because of the road. Just remember, unless it's wet, the bend at the bottom is fine. Someone from my club passed me for 2 minutes, so I was using him as a carrot. Where the road narrows over a bridge at the bottom, there was a car going through. Two seconds later, we'd both have been fcuked - braking from 40-something mph to 10 or less takes a while...
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Hit 56mph last night on one of my regular loops down by Barden Reservoir (near Skipton) - 50 is usually the max but a big tailwind made the difference! Fastest ever is 60 down Fleet Moss towards Hawes.
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:

It's not so bad, I just tell myself that it feels fast but that I can get round the left uphill corner which is the start of Bulmer Bank on momentum... you need all the speed you can get. I think you beat me in that hilly TT btw :wink:

Terrington was dodgy, but not because of the road. Just remember, unless it's wet, the bend at the bottom is fine. Someone from my club passed me for 2 minutes, so I was using him as a carrot. Where the road narrows over a bridge at the bottom, there was a car going through. Two seconds later, we'd both have been fcuked - braking from 40-something mph to 10 or less takes a while...

Was it a Clifton CC you did? Are you Andy McGrath? If so I dont get if I beaten you on the hilly why not the flat :?, I'm crap at hills.
  • akp
    akp Posts: 11
    I managed nearly 35mph downhill on my fixed gear bike, was scary stuff, think that works out as over 160rpm. I've never felt so out of control on my bike!
  • Anonymous
    akp wrote:
    I managed nearly 35mph downhill on my fixed gear bike, was scary stuff, think that works out as over 160rpm. I've never felt so out of control on my bike!

Must be an achivement? best I can do is 140rpm and thats on the edge of going out of control for me I'm almost bouncing off my seat!.
  • akp
    akp Posts: 11
    willhub wrote:
    akp wrote:

Must be an achivement? best I can do is 140rpm and thats on the edge of going out of control for me I'm almost bouncing off my seat!.

yeh that pretty much describes how I felt, just more so. Don't think I'll ever have the guts to do it again.lol.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Denny69 wrote:
    willhub wrote:
    Denny69 wrote:
    I can manage 40mph flat out (sprint) for about 200 - 300m on the flat. Can manage to trot along between 15 - 20mph....not pro speeds but I'm working on it!!

How do you do that!?!?!?, I did 31mph on the flat today for about 10m :(

28" thighs, 19" calves, the loudest rock music in my ears, Cadence of 120, 50x12 and a whole load of determination and I'll be honest I couldn't do it again (well not straight away anyway!!). :D The road in question isn't billiard table flat has a very slight incline to it...something like 1 - 2 metre rise in 1/2 mile or so. It's a road I especially picked out for speed testing my self.

28" thighs and 19" calfs?!!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Gabbo wrote:
    Denny69 wrote:
    willhub wrote:
    Denny69 wrote:
    I can manage 40mph flat out (sprint) for about 200 - 300m on the flat. Can manage to trot along between 15 - 20mph....not pro speeds but I'm working on it!!

How do you do that!?!?!?, I did 31mph on the flat today for about 10m :(

28" thighs, 19" calves, the loudest rock music in my ears, Cadence of 120, 50x12 and a whole load of determination and I'll be honest I couldn't do it again (well not straight away anyway!!). :D The road in question isn't billiard table flat has a very slight incline to it...something like 1 - 2 metre rise in 1/2 mile or so. It's a road I especially picked out for speed testing my self.

28" thighs and 19" calfs?!!

Blimey, do you always react that quick?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Kop Hill, Bucks, 51.6mph according to Mr CatEye

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • 39.7mph on the flat according to Strava so that could be anywhere between 20mph and 60mph :lol:

Although the bike computer read 39mph when I glanced down at it.

I then pulled out of the slipstream to overtake another rider which had a similar feeling to releasing a parachute on a free-fall. God knows how he was maintaining 35mph at the front for so long...

No idea about downhill; I tend to be a bit more cautious.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    SecretSam wrote:
    Kop Hill, Bucks, 51.6mph according to Mr CatEye

That hill is also my top speed effort at 57.6mph, its a great high, and smooth since they re-surfaced it.
  • Peanutt
    Peanutt Posts: 229
    55mph.jpg

Some say a spurious reading but it's from Jevington to Wannock and I'm sticking with it.
    No matter where you are, that's where you've been