top speed

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
ive been out today with my new wheels on and managed to reach 35.4 mph down hill my top speed has been 42.4 with the old wheels but not been down this hill with the new ones yet, is 35.4 a good speed guess it is for the bad roads we have and the thought of coming off on chippings

Comments

• jed1978
    jed1978 Posts: 87
    where you based?

26 mile run today

top speed 30mph

average 15
  • hazychris
    hazychris Posts: 202
    andy610 wrote:
    is 35.4 a good speed

A couple of weeks ago in the New Forest, near Linwood, I managed 64km/h (40 mph) on the flat.....

But when I stopped pedalling, such was the following wind that I still rolled at 30+km/h :oops:

And going uphill later on into the same wind, I was convinced that I was going backwards!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My top speed is usually around 35-40mph as its usually around the same areas, yesterday my top speed was 38.4, there is this good bit where I got 35mph on a flat streight parts and managed to maintain it for a couple of seconds then drop to 29-30mph most of the time for about a mile.

I dont know how people manage 40mph on the flats thats insane lol must take amazing strength.
  • sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    Can't remember but my top speed is between 44 and 46mph down hill, somewhere in the Pennines. On the flat its about 38 in a sprint but I can't last more than 5 seconds at that peak :lol:
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    Top speed today 53.7 mph. Total distance 100.4 miles, average speed 20mph all on the good old London to Brighton with the Addiscombe CC express train.
  • Anonymous
    antooony wrote:
    Top speed today 53.7 mph. Total distance 100.4 miles, average speed 20mph all on the good old London to Brighton with the Addiscombe CC express train.

Was it hilly?
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    willhub wrote:
    antooony wrote:

Was it hilly?

Not really except for the climb up to the Ditchling Beacon, there was plenty of people walking up there, it is quite a nasty climb though.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    52 mph down holme moss last weekend.....................quite hairy!!! :shock:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • toby_g
    toby_g Posts: 37
    I did the London to Brighton yesterday and hit 40mph comfortably, only braking because the marshalls were hurling abuse at me and my friend for going too fast. Lucky thing we listened as some bloke had wrapped himslef round a lampost a little further up.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    antooony wrote:

I was in your wake for some of that, prior to the Beacon, maxing out at 49.2mph.
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    do you have to pedal like mad to get to these speeds or im i just unfit or too old at 46
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    42, but the surface was as rough as hell :twisted:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Mine is 85mph. But that is with the bike on the bike rack :wink:
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    andy
    you are not getting old
    my fastest on the flat is high 20s and never for very long but coming down Turners on subday I hit 40
  • nkirussell
    nkirussell Posts: 16
    i regularly reach 99.9 kph on the flat when I cycle past addenbrookes hospital in cambridge...................................no i am not superhuman, the big magnet in the MRI machine play havoc with my cycle computer!!! :?
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    I can manage 40mph flat out (sprint) for about 200 - 300m on the flat. Can manage to trot along between 15 - 20mph....not pro speeds but I'm working on it!!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • Anonymous
    Denny69 wrote:
    I can manage 40mph flat out (sprint) for about 200 - 300m on the flat. Can manage to trot along between 15 - 20mph....not pro speeds but I'm working on it!!

How do you do that!?!?!?, I did 31mph on the flat today for about 10m :(
  • willhub wrote:
    Denny69 wrote:

Very tall gear, pressed very hard :)

Having said that, are you really, really sure that your road is completely flat? In my experience, even a very small downhill gradient -- even one that is not perceptible to the eye -- can have an enormous impact on sprint speed.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    My top speed is 32mph on a good open hill (i.e. could see all the way to the bottom).

Still nearly turned my shorts brown though - watching the pavement and gravel whizz past beneath me made my brief foray into the 30s seem like sheer lunacy!

I've had my bike for 3 months and already the front pads are ready for replacement - I guess that says a lot about my method of descent! :D

Chapau to anyone who can just leave the brakes alone and surrender themselves to the mercies of gravity!

Nuggs - King of the Half-Squeeze.... :D
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Nuggs wrote:
    My top speed is 32mph on a good open hill (i.e. could see all the way to the bottom).

Still nearly turned my shorts brown though - watching the pavement and gravel whizz past beneath me made my brief foray into the 30s seem like sheer lunacy!

I've had my bike for 3 months and already the front pads are ready for replacement - I guess that says a lot about my method of descent! :D

Chapau to anyone who can just leave the brakes alone and surrender themselves to the mercies of gravity!

Nuggs - King of the Half-Squeeze.... :D

Look further ahead of you. This way you won't be 'watching the pavement' and you'll see any dangers in good time (allowing you to brake, only when you need to).

As for surrendering to the mercies of gravity - I normally have to be going over 40mph before I stop pedalling.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:
    Denny69 wrote:

Very tall gear, pressed very hard :)

Having said that, are you really, really sure that your road is completely flat? In my experience, even a very small downhill gradient -- even one that is not perceptible to the eye -- can have an enormous impact on sprint speed.

I'm pretty sure it was flat, I had a nice sprint on the saddle @ 36mph on saturday that was fun, even more fun as it looked streight yet it was down. On a flat in a valley I took over someone at 33mph but I cant engage my brain at those speeds to shift to a smaller gear so I can push harder and go faster, I must have been doing about 140+ RPM :P

Yesterday when I sprinted at 31mph I just went up to the streight at a steady 16mph then quickly pushed hard for about 10 seconds and I reached 31mph then I just slowed down as I was tired out.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Mine is 85mph. But that is with the bike on the bike rack :wink:

Pah. 85mph? Is that all? I've managed about 125mph on a few occasions....though the bike was being carried by GNER or Virgin West Coast at the time!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    47.5 on a short steep downhill, trying to find something to break the 50. That's just from pedalling like mad then getting tucked.

Being heavier than I should has it's advantages as I seem to be able to freewheel past skinny people who are pedalling.

Probably into the 30s bursting it on the flats but can't say I've paid much attention to it.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    andy610 wrote:
    do you have to pedal like mad to get to these speeds or im i just unfit or too old at 46

just find a steep enough hill and get as low as you can over your bars and pray that you don't hit anything. Its the one time that carrying extra weight is a help :oops:
    Must admit that my vivid imagination usually has me putting on the brakes well before 40 mph, but did once get to 41.9 according to my speedo.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I managed a new personal best of 87km/h (54mph) on a recent sportive. Gravity will have to take all the credit ;-)
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    andy610 wrote:

Too old at 46, you're Nowt but a kid :lol:

best I've done is 53 coming down Weardale a couple of years ago, I've nudged the 50 mark a couple of times this year, once on Sutton Bank and the other coming down from Buttertubs pass.

Too old at 46, I'm still getting faster and I did my first 200 miler last week end. :lol::lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Denny69
    edited June 2008
    willhub wrote:
    Denny69 wrote:

28" thighs, 19" calves, the loudest rock music in my ears, Cadence of 120, 50x12 and a whole load of determination and I'll be honest I couldn't do it again (well not straight away anyway!!). :D The road in question isn't billiard table flat has a very slight incline to it...something like 1 - 2 metre rise in 1/2 mile or so. It's a road I especially picked out for speed testing my self.

Happy riding

Denny
  • Denny69
    Mine is 85mph. But that is with the bike on the bike rack :wink:

Pah. 85mph? Is that all? I've managed about 125mph on a few occasions....though the bike was being carried by GNER or Virgin West Coast at the time!

David

Funny guy :lol::lol:

Happy riding

Denny
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Top speed on the bike rack is one that I won't publish cos I'd get in trouble!

Forgot the bike was on the rack and put the foot down to pass something, car felt a bit strange so I looked in the mirror to see a bike hanging off much to my surprise, glad the lock was on it!!! :lol:
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    nkirussell wrote:
    i regularly reach 99.9 kph on the flat when I cycle past addenbrookes hospital in cambridge...................................no i am not superhuman, the big magnet in the MRI machine play havoc with my cycle computer!!! :?

Unless you cycle within 5m of the magnet it should not affect you, the main field is in the scanner core and only stry fields outside. Unless it is a mobile scanner of course, but these are generally fenced off.

I hit 48.9mph in the dragon and over 40mph in several races, but this year have not gone over 50 yet.
    I suspect I have but I use a GArmin which I think has a bit of hysteresis for speed I think :D