New Altura trail at Whinlatter

12345679»

Comments

• HMH
    HMH Posts: 19
    hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm Spanish, I understand English, but it means "Altura trail",

is perhaps a forest track?

Thank you
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Altura Trail is just the name given to the cross country mountain bike trail thats been made at Whinlatter. Similar to how my name is Darren etc :)

Most of the mountain bike trail centres name their trails, in Wales there are some called The Wall, Whites Level and so on
  • There is also another small tabletop jump that again is too short and steep, any dirt jumpers will know what I mean if they ride it. The three braking bumps after are pretty horrid too, you're carrying quite a bit of speed when you hit them and they could definitely catch out some riders. In my opinion they should remove these (or turn them into a double) and then make the berm straight after bigger so you can safely keep your speed without launching off the top of it.

You really need to consider the average user(FE/C target client) of forest trail centres when doing a crit. Something that a lot of experienced riders fail to do imo inc that mbuk "expert trail builder". Actually did a trailbuilding course with him and Daffyd Davis in Wales `01 so that probably makes me as much of an "expert" as him!!!

Anyway, as someone who prefers to keep his wheels on the deck I have a pet hate i.e. doubles. I really do not know why these irritating, dangerous(imo) features are added to trails.

I have ridden Whinlatter 3 times now. 1st time thought it was crap. 2nd time was in the snow=brilliant. 3rd time with a friend and her son=good but could be improved upon.

I also understand that finance is probably a big problem, barring the trailbuilders putting too many fall line sections in place(guaranteed erosion)

Just take some time out and observe the "average" trail centre riders skill level :roll:
  • trailpuppet
    I probably need to amend that 'quote' above as it was written when I first used to ride the trail. The funny wee triple bump is not as annoying as it once was, it can be ridden/jumped just the same as any double, but I imagine it will still catch out what you call the average user.

I agree that doubles are kind of scary at first but really they aren't that hard and can be jumped or pumped through and the more you come across them the more used to them you will get.

As for observing the "average" trail rider, that's me, and riding trails like Whinlatter is the main stay of my biking diet. Can't say i'd want them to make the trail any harder (some say it is hard enough for a red already) but i'd like to see some more black options and some more downhill/freeride orientated trails be built to compliment the pretty darn good stuff they have already.
  • HMH
    HMH Posts: 19
    breezer wrote:
    Altura Trail is just the name given to the cross country mountain bike trail thats been made at Whinlatter. Similar to how my name is Darren etc :)

Most of the mountain bike trail centres name their trails, in Wales there are some called The Wall, Whites Level and so on

thak you, where can i to see it?
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/alturatrail

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcenwealturatrailleaflet.pdf/$FILE/fcenwealturatrailleaflet.pdf

These are the ones in Wales, quite a few so worth going to if on a holiday over here, trails are on the right with the red triangles http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/centres/afan_forest_park/afan_forest_park.aspx and more where it says "Pick a purpose built trail centre"
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I did the blue trail and the south loop of the red three weeks ago, having first done both loops of the red last November.

I wasn't that impressed with the blue, probably because I'm not a fan of tight switchback uphills, which a lot of it seemed to be.

The south loop red downhill is brilliant, in my opinion - it's up there with XC type downhills in the Alps (I went at the end of July) but is obviously nowhere near as long. The uphill is longish and hardish (especially when you weigh near 15 stone like me) but what do you expect - downhill for nothing?
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Would be awesome if they built a 'black' downhill track there.
  • DR1V3R
    DR1V3R Posts: 79
    Ok so this is a bit of a blatent plug to get my view count up on youtube :D but I put a video up of the downhill section of the North side a while ago. If anyone hasn't been yet it gives a good impression of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGR3jhL6V1g

DR1V3R
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
  • buduk
    buduk Posts: 55
    DR1V3R wrote:
    Ok so this is a bit of a blatent plug to get my view count up on youtube :D but I put a video up of the downhill section of the North side a while ago. If anyone hasn't been yet it gives a good impression of what to expect.

DR1V3R

very impressive m8 in about 10 yrs time i might be able to do that !!!! maybe not ill be 50 :D
  • buduk
    DR1V3R wrote:

DR1V3R

very impressive m8 in about 10 yrs time i might be able to do that !!!! maybe not ill be 50 :D
  • Well I finally managed to get back to Whinlatter when the conditions were good.

I videod a couple of runs, one down the South Loop from the very top to the very bottom and one of the edited highlights of the Blue Loop (cant remember its new name now)

Both runs are pretty much flat out riding as hard as I can and jumping as much as I can :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKmR01-sF9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcKOiNBH3N4

DR1V3R
  • nice vids. Looks nice and fast with decent quality :)

The drop-off on the first bit of south caught me out last time. Need to go back and make sure to hit it a bit faster next time :wink:
  • Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    Just been again at the weekend. Fantastic stuff.

Went with an MTB'ing mate so it was easier this time.

Managed them berms easy, was fantastic fun. Got a good 5 ft of air on those jumps at the end. I think I may upgrade to disc brakes soon though as my Tektro V's really didn't cut it in the wet out there.

Anyone see us? I had the bike in my signature, with a red giro helmet, my mate had the Aspire 3.0, basically my bike in blue, with a blue giro helmet.
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I`ve just been round the blue route today and a lot of it is closed due to maintenance. The Clixby lads were on some of the bits that you can ride on. It looks like they`re sorting a lot of the drainage problems out and repairing some of the braking bumps (remember, skids are for kids :wink: ) and are asking if people can keep off it for a while until it beds in. They`re not sure when the top section of the south loop will be repaired with the big rocks in the bags either.
    They also have a nice little skills loop that can`t be used unless you`re doing one of the Cyclewise skills courses, the miserable buggers :( it looks good too
  • I spending a week in the lakes for the first week of November.

Anyone know if the maintenance will be finished . Will the full north and south loops be open.

This is probably aimed at the locals at Whinlatter or regular riders.
  • BigLee1
    AFAIK the maint work was only for last week depending on weather and they did have a good week. The full north and south loops were open last week and I would think you can go on the blue but it`s worth giving the guys at Cyclewise in whinlatter a bell closer the time as they`ll know the up to date info for the trails.

Please try not to skid though as it fecks the trails :cry:

They`re good, you will enjoy them :D Look out for the excellent view over Keswick and the lakes at the highest point of the south loop :D
  • buduk
    me and my m8 are going tuesday ,i have done the blue but he wants to do the red ffs ,we have just reached the tender age of 40 and both carry a little weight !! we have done a couple of trails ,mabie, newcastleton but very new and inexperienced and tbh doing the red sounds to me A&E which i dont want so if you have any tips it would be great
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Do the south loop first, it's a bit easier imo. Take care on the roots on the north loop if it's wet.
  • BigLee1
    buduk wrote:
    me and my m8 are going tuesday ,i have done the blue but he wants to do the red ffs ,we have just reached the tender age of 40 and both carry a little weight !! we have done a couple of trails ,mabie, newcastleton but very new and inexperienced and tbh doing the red sounds to me A&E which i dont want so if you have any tips it would be great

Tips? Don`t get lost or killed :lol:

Just take it easy and don`t be daft and you`ll be ok. There`s plenty of vids on youtube of both routes and with the visitor centre being between them you don`t have to kill yourself doing both before a cuppa. I agree about the south being easier and tbh a bit safer when you see the north bit perched on the side of the hill :shock: Me and my mate were put off a little when we got to the start of the downhill and saw guys getting kitted up with full armour and ff helmets :? it was no problem though as we just took it easy.

Give it a go, you`ll enjoy it :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... hinlatter+
  • mxer
    mxer Posts: 1
    I did the red routes for the first time on Saturday. Luckily i got a tow off some experienced lads but there's a couple of bits that still caught me out.

First one is early on in the North Loop descent where your speed really picks up and you can hop a couple of tree roots but then there's a sloping rock on a slight right hand turn . I was flying down there then when i saw that i literally flew through the air as i dropped the bike and landed feet first on the track.

The second is right at the top of the South Loop descent where the rocks are steep and slippery. Even the other lads walked that bit.

The best bits for me are the jumps although they could be a bit higher...must be the motocrosser in me.
  • buduk
    cheers i'll keep an eye out,hopefully i will be going to slow but when the adrenaline kicks in who knows !!
  • buduk
    just got back did the south then the north loop ,even tho pushed the bike more than rode it on the south hard work but enjoyed it , it also showed me i have a lot to learn but iam well up for that tho ,only went over the handle bars once which is a bonus as a 18 stone bloke fling through the air isnt a pretty site :D now for a well deserved lager !!! ok maybe 10
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    any more info on the possibility of a DH run at whinlatter, just wondering if anything more had cropped up.

Thanks, Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008