New Altura trail at Whinlatter

Comments

• whalley665
    whalley665 Posts: 150
    Going up there this week, really looking forward to it. Just to confirm, is all the south loop still open cus i heard they had some terrible weather up there in the last few days?

Thanks
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    The weather has been lovely up here the last few days - I'd be surprised if the N Lakes was much worse :?
  • Was all open today - but very very busy.
    The blue route is still not finished however - not sure where it goes just seen the start
    and its fenced off.

For Mattbot the berms are alot easier than they look - once you've been down
    a couple they lose the fear factor and youll look forward to em. Just takes a bit of confidence and look where your going not where you dont want to go ;) which can be tempting due to the height involved on Whinlatter.
  • horrgakx
    horrgakx Posts: 9
    Lee, I did the Altura trail (south) two days ago, first time :) There was a gap in the weather so 3 of us went.

It was a bit tricky on my £250 bike with road (slick) tyres; http://twitpic.com/47oud but managed it fine. Going to do the north loop soon.

Company I work for is doing a cycle to work thing so I'm using the opportunity to buy a new bike, I've posted about it in this forum here; http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12620681
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Thats hardcore with those tyres! Your skill level must be up there with the best :shock: I`d have died or at least suffered a graze on the first corner :D
    I was up on the south loop yesterday and it was a bit muddy, I need to get practising my skills as I was pants. I asked in the shop when the blue was opening and he said in about 3 weeks, I also got an updated map with the blue on. Looks like a nice 6 mile bimble through the woods after scaring yourself doing the red runs :D
  • lovelybones
    lovelybones Posts: 44
    Well I have to say the extra climb on the fully opened south loop isnt really worth it imo. The downhill section on the original section they first opened is much better that the new part.

Still hating those climbs at the begining of the north loop. I mean, give me a break :lol: and me and wet tree roots aren't a match mad in heaven (sorry if any of you were that guy that nearly ran into the back of me as I tried to mastered yet another wet tree root) :oops: but getting better and quicker on those last berms and jumps :wink:
  • BigLee1
    Done the blue route twice today and very good it is too!
  • Yeah was a bit of a blue route snob but its a nice little addition of length onto the red
    and its new. There is no real altitude involved but still fun at speed... there are a few side features (rock slabs) which add something a bit extra.. some nice introductory berms, swithcbacks and small tabletops. A couple of sctions of begninners northshore and to be fair its alot better than any of the blue stuff ive came across on shared red/blue sections in the past... then again I wasnt sure what to expect..

Seems pretty short but i'm not sure if this is normal for blue runs?

Good fun and i'd certainly reccomend it for new riders to get a taste of the types of features to expect on the red as most are there with numerous options for the more experienced blue rider.

I definitely had much more fun than i expected to :wink:
  • horrgakx
    Must have just missed you. We started the blue route about 3:45pm and then went on to the north red route but not through the forest, we used the forest road. My new bike should be up to it but my current one isn't. And the downhill nearly shook it to bits :) Have to say I prefer the south loop at the moment.
  • grumsta
    There is a nice singletrack bridleway descent down to Thornthwaite that you can add on to get an extra couple of km or so. Could park there and climb up to do the main loops.

I really like the new bit of the south section btw - the whole thing is much better than the north loop imo. Looking forward to doing the blue and some of the red with my gf.
  • BigLee1
    Seems pretty short but i'm not sure if this is normal for blue runs?

Did you do the full blue route as there is a shortened section you turn off onto? It`s about the same length as the reds
  • Yeah pretty sure i did the full thing - was an outward sign at one point and a shortcut return but followed the outward.

Only possibility was a section that joined the main road as the sign before implied a left turn when really it was just over the road.. couldnt see anything to the left and i doubted
    the possibility of a blue following the main road then coming back up the same road at some point to continue..... ?

Personally I think the south side is much easier both technically and physically. I prefer the north as i like the singletrack climb. I also like the top part of the south side as its a bit different.

Ohh and horrgakx I didnt get there till after 6 so you'll have been well gone by then.
    Had a look for your car just incase but couldnt see it. Off on fri afternoon for Glentress and something on sat... possibly Mabie (supposed to rain tho). Sounds like ur enjoying it
    and are welcome to come with us as were doing stuff most weekends .. just check my calander at work.
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    Just did the blue route tonight was quite a fun and short little trail, would work well as a warm up before doing the full red route. Should be fairly popular with families etc who just want to take their kids out for an hour or so. Not sure if it's shorter than other blue routes, Mabie's is only 10km and Newcastleton is only a 6km blue.

Rocketmagnet if you're off up to Glentress i'd suggest you do Innerleithen, the red route at Inners is much better than Glentress red, much more challenging but the downs are well worth it.
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    or do a mix of blue/red/black just for fun :D
  • horrgakx
    Rocketmagnet;

> couldnt see anything to the left and i doubted the possibility of a blue
    > following the main road then coming back up the same road at some point to continue

We scanned the map before we did it, definitely crosses the road straight ahead. You can get the map from their website.

> Ohh and horrgakx I didnt get there till after 6 so you'll have been well gone by then.
    > Had a look for your car just incase but couldnt see it.

Had a lift through, Ricky from Zest is pretty keen (and good!!) and I got a lift through with him, didn't have my car. Think we left about 17:40.
  • Just did the blue route tonight was quite a fun and short little trail, would work well as a warm up before doing the full red route. Should be fairly popular with families etc who just want to take their kids out for an hour or so. Not sure if it's shorter than other blue routes, Mabie's is only 10km and Newcastleton is only a 6km blue.

Rocketmagnet if you're off up to Glentress i'd suggest you do Innerleithen, the red route at Inners is much better than Glentress red, much more challenging but the downs are well worth it.

Yeah i've done Innerleithen and I didnt find it too difficult only my hangover from the night before hurt - personally i liked it but a couple of m8's didnt enjoy it as much as Glentress.. hence its glentress today. Still its a cracking course but like you say i'd certainly not reccomend it to new riders as its both physically and technically harder than Glentress red.

Not sure how much more is planned at Whinlatter.. there is plenty room and plenty altitude to play with.. :).
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    Not sure how much more is planned at Whinlatter.. there is plenty room and plenty altitude to play with.. :).

I think they plan on fixing up the red sections that have taken the biggest battering and also reworking certain areas that don't flow or work as much as they wanted. There was also mention of a black route/run on one side but that may not be done or even started until next year. They already have uplift permission for the south side so they were considering a DH run up there if they could manage it.
  • whalley665
    whalley665 Posts: 150
    Going on staurday, any major changes to the route, last time i went was sometime in april. Are any sections badly worn or are there any new bits?
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • grumsta
    Have you done the blue sections? Good fun imo - some nice big berms and fun little jumps etc.
  • i', going up next week, but im not sure i have limited experience on singletrack and im just wondering if its do able for me, i ride a boardman pro ht is that suitable??
    thanks
    Ollie
  • grumsta
    You'll be fine, just take it easy and don't ride anything you don't like the look of. There is nothing really technical there.

Do the blue first, then the south loop of the red, then if you are still having fun do the north loop - imo
  • Ollie,

Anything's do-able! My advice would be just go for it. If there's anything on it that's too tricky or scares you, just get off your bike and push for a bit. (Just be mindful to keep out of the way of anyone behind you that might want to come through quicker.)

I think you'll love Whinlatter. Have a good time and take plently to drink!
  • as the two guys above say + take food
    i ride a boardman pro ht is that suitable??
    got nothing to do with ability
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Within reason you could use any bike for Whinlatter, seen some folk on proper old rigid bikes up there and they seemed to be managing and having a good time 8)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Yeah, I've been one of those of a proper old rigid bike up there :wink: and had a great time. Blue is nice to get the feel of things - there's nothing too difficult on the blue.

I did notice on the last bit of the north side red run the three of us on hardtails did appear to be the only hardtails around but, as your man above says, what's that got to do with ability? :D
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Just got back from Whinlatter, really good ride today- although I've only seen it dry a couple of times- a few sections are like riding up a stream! :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • I agree just been this morning myself and there's still a fair bit of water around, surprised at how many folk I didn't see on the trail considering the car park was full of bikes.
  • Just got back from Whinlatter,

I really enjoyed the whole lot.
    Nice gradual increase in technicality between the three trails when ridden in the suggested order (Blue, Red south, Red north).

Was very wet today but didnt affect the ride to much
  • Went up to day absolutely loved ended up doing the north loop twice
    was very wet though :(
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    edited September 2009
    yep, the climbing on the south loop is tiring and annoying but the descent is worth it. Its good just to try and go faster and faster until you do what i do (rear tyre wash out on the slate and just manage to get it back but over-correct and shoot out the side of the berm and hit a tree stump with my hip.

Some of that descent is really loose because the stone just slides on top of the slate underneath it but the descent is easily one of the best trail descents i've done, not for technicality but just for pure foot out, flat out speed and a load of fun on the way down. I hope whinlatter does get a dh track because its certainly got the gradient and space for on. Also theres a few flat areas where you could have a freeride park like glentress or a dirt jump area

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008