Your rants here.

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    edited November 2019
    duplicate post..... can't delete :s
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Slowing for a red light from 100 foot away and overtaken by a Focus who less than five car lengths later stopped for the queue of traffic that I slipped up the inside of on the red paint.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    absolute c-unit on my commute home tonight, basically tried to drive into me when I was in prime riding through a pedestrian crossing bounded by refuge islands , lent on the horn so much I thought his hand was glued to it, so I went and caught up with him to have a word, absolute waste of time, apparently it was all my fault for being "childish" for not sticking to the gutter basically as theres a dashed cycle lane which isnt worth anything anyway even if it wasnt full of debris,leaves and water, frankly I dont give a damn even if it wasnt Im taking prime through there, and even if I had of complied like the nice lower order of life he thought I was, he'd have close passed me then promptly left hooked me anyway.

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    1200km on the new bike since July, and in the space of 1 week I've physically snapped 2 teeth of the big chain ring.

That, and the back wheel's axle has worked it's way loose and I can't get the frigging cassette off to tighten it up again means it's probably due a service at the LBS.

So, in prep for that, have taken the opportunity to refresh the studs on the ice tyres - whatever you do when trying to replace them, don't slip as you put them in, as your hand then slides down the wheel, getting caught on each and every stud on the way down. I look like I've been in a battle with a couple of tigers....

Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    Death of a local lady Gina McWilliam just on her way to work while on a bike in Fishbourne :cry:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156941625876553&id=610261552
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Death of a local lady Gina McWilliam just on her way to work while on a bike in Fishbourne :cry:

yup - sad story - the video doesn't show it to be dangerous - it's a few cars/vans/lorries driving very sensibly - like the majority do.

Of all the bits that are "dangerous" I wouldn't class that bit of road as such. Yes, it's a busy road and you do get cnuts on it - but in terms of space and visibility - it's not that bad.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,113

1200km on the new bike since July, and in the space of 1 week I've physically snapped 2 teeth of the big chain ring.

Too much powaaaaar clearly :D

• wolfsbane2k
    slowbike said:

yup - sad story - the video doesn't show it to be dangerous - it's a few cars/vans/lorries driving very sensibly - like the majority do.

Of all the bits that are "dangerous" I wouldn't class that bit of road as such. Yes, it's a busy road and you do get cnuts on it - but in terms of space and visibility - it's not that bad.
    Oh aye, the drivers in that film are all "ok" - the problem is the idiots, like most places, combined with "infra" where cycling lanes disappear just as you need it at pinch points, and some drivers are suddenly surprised at narrowing roads..

I've ridden down from havant to west wittering a few times via that route on a weekend morning in the past - I definitely wouldn't want to do it on a weekday rush hour given some of the shocking driving I encountered....
  • wolfsbane2k

Too much powaaaaar clearly :D

Yep - something like that ( or shifting while under power....)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    driving (dont worry it is still cycling related) my mum home from an appointment tonight,it was well beyond sunset and definitely lights up nightime, and I saw a guy in rugby kit so Id assume been for evening training somewhere but none of it reflective or bright or anything, riding a bike on a narrow path with no rear light at all, and I knew it wasnt a shared cycle path he was on, suddenly meets a pedestrian coming the other way out of the gloom (frankly only illuminated by my lights anyway), and without alook or hesitation plops himself on the road infront of me.

fortunately for him Id anticipated it happening just because my cycling spidey sense told me to treat him like he was on the road anyway , I dont think many other vehicles would have given him that much space to do that safely for him

and Im just left thinking, no wonder people in cars hate cyclists :(

• Compared to 2017 and 2018, I've had a really restrained year in terms of buying cycling stuff. Roll on to last night, adding lots of "maybes" to the baskets at Merlin and PX in their BF sales and then eyes popping out of sockets when I looked at the totals! :o

So then I had to start trimming the baskets down, removing bits that were not the best price I recall seeing recently and other bits that weren't of essential need...

And then forgot out of lack of habit to pay for my Merlin basket via Topcashback or Quidco, to then figure this morning that the Conti tubes I've ordered (29x 1.75-2.35") aren't likely to work with my 38mm Marathon Cross or 38mm Gravdals (although fine for my 2.35" G-Ones and Vee Speedsters), because 38mm is ~1.5". :(

As much I bought some useful/essential gear, none of my "really want" items were a great price anywhere I've seen (carbon aero drop bars still £89 at PX, R7000 34/50 chainset is £99+, Lezyne MegaXL is £160+), which on a good deal would be <£330 total and possibly less reward points and cashback.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,113
    Got back to the car last night after doing a park and pedal to work.
    A white Mercedes was parked next to me (thought it was a fellow forum member so gave them a nod) with the engine running.
    I'm reasonably efficient at packing up my bike and kit, but it still takes 10 minutes or so. By the time I'd finished, the car was still there with its engine running.

And you'd think a nod from a guy in skintight cycling kit would make them leave as quickly as possible.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

And you'd think a nod from a guy in skintight cycling kit would make them leave as quickly as possible.

I'm guessing you don't do much fetish dogging?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Rode away from home on Thursday morning and 10 seconds later I was rolling in the road when the spindle on one the pedals snapped. Once I gathered myself I looked at the bike and all looked OK till I put my left foot down properly and still had the pedal on my shoe. During the tumble I managed to bend the rear rotor slightly so had that rubbing all the way to work when I got myself back on the road after robbing a pedal off the other bike.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wolfsbane2k
    One of them mornings.
    Rode Bike 1 to the bottom of the road, only to hear a Bang with an instant rear flat.
    Walked back home, grabbed bike two, which last week I replaced my first ever spoke entirely by myself ( go me) in the rear wheel - and had done a gentle 2km on it.
    about 500m into the ride, "Plink". "Plink Plink " . 3 other spokes went. Balls.
    Walked back home, grabbed bike 3, which was still fitted with the wheels with the marathon winter spiked tyres on - swapped out with the hybrid tyre fitted wheels, pumped them up, and rode to work. Slow. No mudguards. I'd moved my camera and light mounts from Bike 3 to Bike 2 last week - and no time to swap them all back, so did the absolute minimum - 1 front light mount, 1 rear.

Which then meant I had to take the quicker, but significantly heavier traffic'd route to work, and a few numpties in white vans decided to take the crap weather out on me.

Would have almost definitely been quicker from A to B, as well as a nicer ride, to fix the puncture...

• Someone has cut the one? Wire cutting off our phone/tv/internet for the last few days which is a very 1st world problem but seriously tedious! Might be back by Monday we’ll see!
  • xbnm
    xbnm Posts: 116
    Of the last 4 commutes ive had 4 incidnets, run off the road into a junciton by an overtaking bus, narrowly avoided head on collision by a car overtaking stationary traffic over double white lines, had to come to halt by a car using a bus lane they shouldnt be on, and forced into a junciton by a police station by a transit pulling ouot from the opposite side. 2 in Durham 2 in Northumbria the worst 2 in Durham. One of the ones in northumbria already has NIP: Wonder how durham are going to perform this time.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Bah ...

Having had a daylight ride in this morning - and anticipating an early finish - I came in with 1 front light which I knew was low on battery ...

and it seems that we're likely to be working till dark .... fortunately I gathered that fairly early on so have managed to get my front light on charge!!
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited January 2020
    First deliberate punishment pass of the year - nothing oncoming, yet decided that 23 cm between side of my biek and side of their vehicle at 60mph was worth the risk - that's not including wing mirrors.
    (I've got a nearmiss-o-meter on the bike now)
  • xbnm
    xbnm Posts: 116
    edited January 2020
    xbnm said:

Of the last 4 commutes ive had 4 incidnets, run off the road into a junciton by an overtaking bus, narrowly avoided head on collision by a car overtaking stationary traffic over double white lines, had to come to halt by a car using a bus lane they shouldnt be on, and forced into a junciton by a police station by a transit pulling ouot from the opposite side. 2 in Durham 2 in Northumbria the worst 2 in Durham. One of the ones in northumbria already has NIP: Wonder how durham are going to perform this time.

Update

2 incidents in Northumbria NIP issued in both cases probably just driving courses but heh ho.

2 incidents in Durham managed to report one got as far as a traffic seargeant there meandering around the incident and are going to check out the driver and contact bus company. No chance of anything significant happening theve run out of time !
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Someone has cut the one? Wire cutting off our phone/tv/internet for the last few days which is a very 1st world problem but seriously tedious! Might be back by Monday we’ll see!

Ive not had any internet since 20th December (Friday). they said it was an issue with the cabinet and someone would be able to fix it on the 23rd or 24th. That didn't happen. the call centre was obviously closed on the 25th and 26th and i went on holiday on the 27th, returning last night - to find it still wasn't working!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I have an unusual rant - Goths on unlit canal towpaths wearing headphones, at deafening volume!! 1) You can't be seen at night, until you turn around and then your pasty white face looks like a ghost! 2) Even with my mega bright unlit towpath lights on, you seem completely oblivious to what's going on around you.
    In the plus column they are generally the most polite and nicest folks I come across on the towpath!!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited January 2020
    Stumbled bleary eyed down to breakfast at 5.30 this morning and opened Instagram for a daily dose of beautiful beaches, sunsets and bikes to set me up of the day, only to be greeted by photos of CJCPs gurning mug at the KWCC awards dinner.

Not what I need first thing in the morning.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,227
    asprilla said:

Not what I need first thing in the morning.

Certainly not the first thing you'd want to see upon opening your eyes in the morning.

• wolfsbane2k
    edited January 2020
    Wet roads, zipping along at 28mph with no other traffic around me, (30mph down hill section) had some silly whats-its-face pull out of a side road on me. Emergency skiddy, slidy, stop thing managed to get me to a stop "just" in time - reached out and thumped the back of the vehicle very loudly with my hand as a "WTF".... echo'd all around, and the driver just tootled off. A couple who'd heard me bellow as I thought I was going over the vehicle stood slack jawed as the driver f***ked off, as I stood gasping in the road, surprised to be upright.

The couple offered to be a witness's for insurance/cops, but 2 forward facing camera's should be enough for any complaints, right?

Very grateful for hydraulics brakes, that's for sure!

Struggling to even consider getting back on the iron horse for tomorrow's commute after that one. :|
  • gbsahne001
    Removed CX from shed; rear tyre flat, OK no problem pull out MTB with studded tyres (there is ice after all); rear tyre flat OK starting to panic a little, pull out hybrid, rack removed and taken out of commuting..... last but not least, good bike, not really suitable for conditions but oh well...
  • gbsahne001
    ...and this morning the mudguard bridge had snapped; cue drill and cable tie fix
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Last night's commute seemed to be full of suicidal lemming pedestrians.

Had one chap cross the road whilst looking back at where he was coming from, was shouting at him to make him aware that i was coming, he stops, then starts reversing back straight into my path as i tried to go round him. He then shoulder barges me (I assume as a defence mechanism), but we both manage to stay upright.

Then going past Waterloo had two run right in front of me, one of whom really surprised me as she was blind/partially sited with a white stick (with pink fluffy bits on it). There was the obvious 3 or 4 other examples going through Tooting.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Took bike into the LBS for a service last Saturday. Not been touched because the mechanic is off sick and they dont know when he is going to be back. Ringing around other shops to try and get a slot....no joy for at least a week....grrrrr
  • wolfsbane2k
    Due to unnerving cross wind on a particularly exposed dual carriageway section of the route home on friday just at kicking out time (i'm normally an hour later), I decided i'd follow the "formal cycle route" through an industrial estate.

I won't take that route again - while i generally agree that there are "no unsafe roads, just unsafe drivers", there is no way that should EVER be identified as a suitable cycle route. 5 incidents to report to the police from a 3 minute section of the ride.