Your rants here.

1575576577578580

Posts

  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 1,942
    awavey wrote:
    backo wrote:
    TBH with the standard of driving and cycling in London I wouldn't be stepping out until I was sure cars and bikes had stopped. had many a near miss with cyclists riding through as if the crossing didn't exist

    that maybe so but if Im clearly slowing down to stop...why do I still get the evil eye and total distrust from them about it, do other riders slow and at the last second shout "Ha! Ha!" point and ride through anyway ? I never see these people glance at all at cars in the same way,

    the other week there was a woman just started crossing on a zebra crossing from the right hand side of a fairly wide road, the car directly behind me (white Audi of course) then overtook me and just went straight through the crossing without even pausing to note there was a pedestrian crossing, but I slowed to stop, by which time she was about half way across, but then she stopped gave me the look, then ran across the bit in front of me, and Im like almost considering shouting "dont b***dy run theres no rush" as it was wet and she was in heels and Im thinking shes going to trip or slip and theres utterly no need to be doing that, though I could already tell the next car behind me was itching to get going but I wasnt going to move till she was safely across and back on the pavement.

    she gets there, I get given another evil eye look for some reason, fine whatever so I start pedalling again & 5 seconds later the car behind then punish passes me, one of those not just ultra close passes, but where they cut in on you as well to force you over to the gutter

    and Im just left thinking why am I getting so much grief for this :roll:
    Maybe, it wasn't the evil eye she was giving you. Maybe you just have a funny looking face? :wink:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • TGOTBTGOTB Posts: 4,828
    awavey wrote:
    and Im just left thinking why am I getting so much grief for this :roll:
    I once had an old woman stop on a zebra crossing, directly in front of me, so I couldn't proceed. The reason? To punish me for the actions of another cyclist who hadn't stopped. When I pointed out that I'd done exactly what I was supposed to, her actual words were, "but you're a cyclist too"...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • thistle_(mbnw)thistle_(mbnw) Posts: 2,670
    Driving home last night the traffic was more like Saturday afternoon than Thursday rush hour on the dual carriageway.
    I came around a bend and saw an articulated lorry in the inside lane and I seemed to be catching it up quite quickly so changed lane to overtake.
    The lorry was stopped in the inside lane which is never good.
    The lorry isn't stopped, it's reversing up the dual carriageway towards the oncoming traffic :|

    It looked like the driver had decided to swap trailers in one of the laybys and was backing up to get to the next one.
  • drhaggisdrhaggis Posts: 761
    Totally trivial stuff:

    Went for a walk yesterday evening, and saw what looked like an interesting frame locked to a bike parking slot. The frame seemed to be that of a current top-of-the-range TCR advanced SL... converted to a hybrid fixie. No drop bars, no gears, no rear brake, and with some weird pulleys in place so the chain could avoid the chainstay. Sacrilege.

    Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps it's a stolen frame? It just makes no sense whatsoever.
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 19,374
    Son of 20p for the swearbox lingering flu chest thing has knocked me for six, i can ride but as soon as i put in a HR raising effort its like trying to breath through a wet paper straw, then its stop and wait for my HR and coughing to normalise, its been over three weeks FFS
    Rule #5 // Harden The 20p for the swearbox Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gbsahne001gbsahne001 Posts: 1,952
    200m from home after a ride yesterday, front tyre blows, leaving a 10mm cut in the sidewall.... so the new tyre that was destined for the back wheel now finds itself on the front and i have to order a new tyre.

    Front was a 4 seasons which has been less than impressive with quite a few visits and now this, I had thought that I'll give continental one last chance but that was it, sticking to Vittoria now.
  • cruffcruff Posts: 1,351
    TGOTB wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    and Im just left thinking why am I getting so much grief for this :roll:
    I once had an old woman stop on a zebra crossing, directly in front of me, so I couldn't proceed. The reason? To punish me for the actions of another cyclist who hadn't stopped. When I pointed out that I'd done exactly what I was supposed to, her actual words were, "but you're a cyclist too"...
    Should have asked her when was the last time she did that to a car...
    Fat chopper. Some racing. Some testing. Some crashing.
    Specialising in Git Daaahns and Cafs. Transplanted Laaandoner.
  • cruffcruff Posts: 1,351
    In Mallorca and got an infected finger which has turned septic, led to an inflammation in my hand and lymph node in my armpit. Currently dosed up in antibiotics, got another topical antibiotic cream for the finger and told not to ride for a week. FML
    Fat chopper. Some racing. Some testing. Some crashing.
    Specialising in Git Daaahns and Cafs. Transplanted Laaandoner.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 21,951 Lives Here
    cruff wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    and Im just left thinking why am I getting so much grief for this :roll:
    I once had an old woman stop on a zebra crossing, directly in front of me, so I couldn't proceed. The reason? To punish me for the actions of another cyclist who hadn't stopped. When I pointed out that I'd done exactly what I was supposed to, her actual words were, "but you're a cyclist too"...
    Should have asked her when was the last time she did that to a car...
    I was thinking he should ask her if he should have a go at the next old lady he meets for being totally batshit.
    Although clearly this would underline that cyclists are evil in her tiny mind.
  • TGOTBTGOTB Posts: 4,828
    veronese68 wrote:
    I was thinking he should ask her if he should have a go at the next old lady he meets for being totally batshit.
    Although clearly this would underline that cyclists are evil in her tiny mind.
    She was pretty batshit! I didn't say anything clever because I don't think that quickly; in hindsight I'm quite glad I didn't; I may be equally bananas by the time I get to that age (if I even make it that far...)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • roger_merrimanroger_merriman Posts: 6,117
    pangolin wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    1. Idiots who ride Santander bikes whilst holding an umbrella in a vain effort to keep their hair and suit dry in the rain.

    2. Idiots riding these trike things for tourists who hold an umbrella out in front of them to try to keep the rain off.

    3. Idiots who pootle at a speed which barely sees them stay upright, take up much of the lane, and then suddenly accelerate when they see the lights in the segregated bike lane go red, or who just ride through when it's on red any way.

    Grrrr.

    How many years have you been commuting by bike in the big smoke now?
    To be fair, it has got worse in the last year or so. And those tourist trike things are fairly new.

    As for people who stand, waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and won't actually start crossing until you've come to a complete halt: Grrr.....

    I'm conflicted about the zebra crossing people, it is very annoying, but they must be very used to some people just looking at them and riding though anyway.

    For myself it’s a deliberate choice? In that I have various knackered systems, so my ability to compensate ie step back etc is reduced. Same with on buses/trains etc, I wait until is definitely has stopped and only then stand up etc, falling over for stupid stuff like this gets really old real quickly.
  • wolfsbane2kwolfsbane2k Posts: 2,833
    bear with me.

    1) Road layout designers that don't give priority to parallel cycle tracks at side roads
    2) Road layout designers that don't do parallel cycle tracks, but shared paths.
    3) road layout designers that set the drop kerb for a shared path at a side road at a stupid location
    4) Drivers who flash pedestrians/cyclists across a road, implying it's safe to cross
    5) young kids riding to school that get caught out with all this, and end up getting hit because they don't double check.
    6) drivers that having flashed someone across the road, watched them get hit, then foxtrot Oscar at speed.

    Thankfully, only a minor injury to a local kid this morning, but possibly broken bone in their hand, and feels for the lady that hit them due to absolutely no fault of hers.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • cjcpcjcp Posts: 13,256
    cruff wrote:
    In Mallorca and got an infected finger which has turned septic, led to an inflammation in my hand and lymph node in my armpit. Currently dosed up in antibiotics, got another topical antibiotic cream for the finger and told not to ride for a week. FML

    That's rotten luck!

    If it's any consolation, at least you don't have to sit behind people on Santander bikes who jump lights.
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcpcjcp Posts: 13,256
    TGOTB wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    1. Idiots who ride Santander bikes whilst holding an umbrella in a vain effort to keep their hair and suit dry in the rain.

    2. Idiots riding these trike things for tourists who hold an umbrella out in front of them to try to keep the rain off.

    3. Idiots who pootle at a speed which barely sees them stay upright, take up much of the lane, and then suddenly accelerate when they see the lights in the segregated bike lane go red, or who just ride through when it's on red any way.

    Grrrr.

    How many years have you been commuting by bike in the big smoke now?
    To be fair, it has got worse in the last year or so. And those tourist trike things are fairly new.

    As for people who stand, waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and won't actually start crossing until you've come to a complete halt: Grrr.....

    Boff - you got out at the right time. You didn't have to put up with these tourist trikes (which also seem to have e-capability), which are just a smidge wider than the lane, e-scooters, e-skateboards, and e-uni-cycle things.
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprillaasprilla Posts: 8,315
    cjcp wrote:
    You didn't have to put up with these tourist trikes (which also seem to have e-capability)

    I understand they certainly have e-vending capability.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • TGOTBTGOTB Posts: 4,828
    asprilla wrote:
    I understand they certainly have e-vending capability.
    Wouldn't surprise me at all...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mattsawmattsaw Posts: 945
    I'm thinking of filming and uploading a series of bike maintenance videos to YouTube where I start to outline how to fix common problems before descending into a apoplectic rage, eventually culminating in taking a small pile of parts to a bike shop.

    Made them promise never to sell me any more tools. Ever.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 1,942
    Not commuted on the bike for 4 weeks as I've been knackered through having no sleep.

    Made it in this morning, which felt good, but now i am definitely coming down with something. Really sore throat, runny nose and feeling very run down.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • drhaggisdrhaggis Posts: 761
    elbowloh wrote:
    Not commuted on the bike for 4 weeks as I've been knackered through having no sleep.

    Made it in this morning, which felt good, but now i am definitely coming down with something. Really sore throat, runny nose and feeling very run down.

    Sounds like childrenitis. The cure is very expensive, takes in excess of 23 years, and you're likely to lose quite a bit of hair.

    Having said that, I found cycling cathartic. Me, my bike, my pain.
  • nitrousoxidenitrousoxide Posts: 3,785
    Had some lurgy for ~2.5 weeks now, which keeps fooling me into thinking it's going before coming back. The runny nose has gone, but can still feel it on my chest plus physical fatigue. Getting bored and fed of my only cycling being very gentle commutes. :(
    ================
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 1,942
    I bought an Asus laptop thing a less than 2 years ago (a Microsoft Surface Pro-alike).

    In the first 6 months i sent it back for repair, both times the fan was faulty and it needed to be replaced.

    Now, all at the same time, the touchscreen has become unresponsive in a 5cm wide band across the screen, the keyboard has stopped working and the sound is intermittent from the speakers.

    I used the online chat thing to try to resolve it and the first thing they asked me to do was to recalibrate the screen. this resulted in the screen becoming completely unresponsive. So, without the touchscreen nor a keyboard, i have no way of interacting with it to try to fix it. the online chat told me they'd have to contact their technical team and get back to me within in 48 hrs.

    I did some googling and decided to do a hard reset (hold down power and up volume button), which has brought the touchscreen back to life, but the keyboard is still not working. They then got back to me to say the touchscreen issue must be a hardware fault and needs to go in repair - even though it seems its a software fault as it resolved itself with the reset. No word about the keyboard. they also said it cost £45 for logistics to send it back and repair would be more on top, which they cannot actually give a price for yet. £45!!! to send it back. It's less than 2 years old, but the warranty is only 1 year.

    I'm fed up with it tbh and won't be buying an Asus product again.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 1,942
    I bought an Asus laptop thing a less than 2 years ago (a Microsoft Surface Pro-alike).

    In the first 6 months i sent it back for repair, both times the fan was faulty and it needed to be replaced.

    Now, all at the same time, the touchscreen has become unresponsive in a 5cm wide band across the screen, the keyboard has stopped working and the sound is intermittent from the speakers.

    I used the online chat thing to try to resolve it and the first thing they asked me to do was to recalibrate the screen. this resulted in the screen becoming completely unresponsive. So, without the touchscreen nor a keyboard, i have no way of interacting with it to try to fix it. the online chat told me they'd have to contact their technical team and get back to me within in 48 hrs.

    I did some googling and decided to do a hard reset (hold down power and up volume button), which has brought the touchscreen back to life, but the keyboard is still not working. They then got back to me to say the touchscreen issue must be a hardware fault and needs to go in repair - even though it seems its a software fault as it resolved itself with the reset. No word about the keyboard. they also said it cost £45 for logistics to send it back and repair would be more on top, which they cannot actually give a price for yet. £45!!! to send it back. It's less than 2 years old, but the warranty is only 1 year.

    I'm fed up with it tbh and won't be buying an Asus product again.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • gbsahne001gbsahne001 Posts: 1,952
    I think in 40+ years of cycling, this morning was the closest I've come to being removed from this world...

    Cycling along, minding my own business approaching a right hand (partially blind from the opp direction) bend, when I notice there's a car coming in the opposite direction and then 0.5s later notice that Oh shoot, there's another car overtaking the first one at high speed. I don't know how it missed me but I felt the wake as it went past with approx 10cm to spare.

    camera recommendations.......?
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,280
    elbowloh wrote:
    I bought an Asus laptop thing a less than 2 years ago (a Microsoft Surface Pro-alike).

    In the first 6 months i sent it back for repair, both times the fan was faulty and it needed to be replaced.

    Now, all at the same time, the touchscreen has become unresponsive in a 5cm wide band across the screen, the keyboard has stopped working and the sound is intermittent from the speakers.

    I used the online chat thing to try to resolve it and the first thing they asked me to do was to recalibrate the screen. this resulted in the screen becoming completely unresponsive. So, without the touchscreen nor a keyboard, i have no way of interacting with it to try to fix it. the online chat told me they'd have to contact their technical team and get back to me within in 48 hrs.

    I did some googling and decided to do a hard reset (hold down power and up volume button), which has brought the touchscreen back to life, but the keyboard is still not working. They then got back to me to say the touchscreen issue must be a hardware fault and needs to go in repair - even though it seems its a software fault as it resolved itself with the reset. No word about the keyboard. they also said it cost £45 for logistics to send it back and repair would be more on top, which they cannot actually give a price for yet. £45!!! to send it back. It's less than 2 years old, but the warranty is only 1 year.

    I'm fed up with it tbh and won't be buying an Asus product again.

    I'd check with your payment company - a computer should last more than 2 years without hardware fault.
  • mtb-idlemtb-idle Posts: 2,036
    mattsaw wrote:
    I'm thinking of filming and uploading a series of bike maintenance videos to YouTube where I start to outline how to fix common problems before descending into a apoplectic rage..

    I think this first part has already bin dun. Check out Hambini on Youtube...
    FCN = 4
  • wolfsbane2kwolfsbane2k Posts: 2,833
    gbsahne wrote:
    I think in 40+ years of cycling, this morning was the closest I've come to being removed from this world...

    Cycling along, minding my own business approaching a right hand (partially blind from the opp direction) bend, when I notice there's a car coming in the opposite direction and then 0.5s later notice that Oh shoot, there's another car overtaking the first one at high speed. I don't know how it missed me but I felt the wake as it went past with approx 10cm to spare.

    camera recommendations.......?

    Fark.

    Drift Innovations Ghost XL, (or Ghost 4k) , based on long battery life for weight. the XL is decent enough quality, but is missing the stabilisation that you get from the gopro..

    Gopro's etc are awesome quality, but the Battery life just doesn't cut it for me.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Ricky hRicky h Posts: 119
    Thursday morning, 0630 commute, 4 people riding without lights (2 near collisions as well).
    This morning, 6 people riding without lights. Just why do it when you can buy a set for a tenner ?
  • kingstoniankingstonian Posts: 1,744
    Twunts on ebikes that will do 30mph. Why, just why?

    And twunts resolutely sticking to my back wheel all the way into town, who when you get to a set of lights slow down and stop behind in the hope they don't have to suffer the embarrassment of eye contact. The worst was a guy a couple of weeks ago, when it was hooning down with rain, and he was so close that the spray from his front wheel was hitting the back of my legs.
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 19,374
    i need to try one of these unrestricted ebikes
    Rule #5 // Harden The 20p for the swearbox Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • thistle_(mbnw)thistle_(mbnw) Posts: 2,670
    gbsahne wrote:
    camera recommendations.......?
    I'm using a mobius maxi at the moment on the bars. It gives great* riding videos in good light, but quality is a bit worse when it's dull. I have tried it at dusk/dawn so no idea if you can see anything.
    Big downside is the battery life isn't great - I get about an hour out of it. I think you can get more if you reduce the video size/quality but then it might not be good enough.



    *quality, not interest
Sign In or Register to comment.