Sports Drinks/What Fluid

Comments

• rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    colintrav wrote:
    End of the day .... A drink is a drink ..

All those so called energy drinks are the biggest load of BS ever because it's all down to clever marketing and advertising .. and getting some Sports personality to advetise it
    nah its all fact as stated by the Gatorade institute of sports science lol- most of the modern research has come from here-how bad is that.
    most of what we know to be facts just arent true-heres a list of BS:
    electrolytes(*sodium, potassium, magnesium etc) help with cramp-no research has confirmed this
    You should drink before you feel thirsty-again this has never been backed up by science and is complete nonsense!

although there obviously is some link between, cramp, fatigue de-hydration and nutrients, no-one knows the truth behind it and the sports drinks have capitalised on this big time,
    the strange thing in reality is that when you sweat you lose a lot more water than you do electrolytes and therefore you have a higher concentration of electrolytes when you sweat more. i have no idea what ratio of electrolytes to water a sports drink should contain, but im sure most sports drinks are way too high!
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • To start this reply I would go with the phrase : simple water is fine.

You are correct in the fact that more water is lost in sweat than electrolytes. Water loss during intense physical excercise through the skin is increased by up to 9 times. Sweat contains about 30 - 90mmol/L of sodium chloride. In a normal day the percentage of electrolytes lost through sweat is minimal, but increased sweating would increase electrolyte loss.

In fact you could go further with the statement that there is no evidence that fluid or electrolyte loss causes cramp, to say there is more evidence against it than for it. It truth, there is no real absolute defining understanding of the cause of cramp. However If you are feeling real geeky, do a net search on altered neuromuscular control.

It is important, however, to note that for the body to be able to uptake glucose in the gut, requires sodium. In answer to you're question regarding the electrolyte content of fluids used to treat dehydration, a solution of about 0.5% NACL is required to adiquately replenish sodium loss and allow glucose uptake normally. In cases where dehydration is severe, this is upped to 0.9% and is given intravenously. In effect after excercise glucose and protiens are probably the most important nutrients to replace. Glucose as neurons cannot use any other fuel and to replace glycogen stores and protiens to aid muscle repair.

I normally go with the idea that you're body tends to know what it needs. If you're hungering for something or are thirsty, then the answer is you're brain unconciously knows a lot more about you're metabolism than anyone else. :wink:
    Big Rich of The Cornwall Mountainbike Club
    http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
    Steeds: Full Suss - The Reign FCN 13
    Hardtail - The Pig FCN 9
  • ashw9
    ashw9 Posts: 16
    adrian4224 wrote:
    Hi,

Can I suggest you try elete, a sports drink concentrate specifically designed for optimum and hydration and to prevent and halt cramping.

I have to declare an interest as I am CEO of MRI (UK) Ltd which has the distribution rights for elete. However, I am absolutely convinced elete will sort out your hydration needs and your cramps.

I would be very happy to send you a bottle to try free of charge, just contact me at adrian@eletewater.co.uk with your details and will have some sent to you.

Can I also suggest you visit our website http://www.eletewater.co.ukwhich has lots of information about elete, how it works and the science behind it etc.

I also set out below a summary of the key information about elete:

elete™, is an ionically charged sports drink concentrate, which I am genuinely confident is the most effective hydration product on the market today.

The reason for its effectiveness is that it contains all four electrolytes which are necessary for proper hydration (magnesium, sodium, potassium and chloride) and that these are each in totally ionic form (again necessary for effective hydration). No other sports/hydration products contain this mix of electrolytes.

As well as hydrating remarkably efficeintly, elete™ stops cramping, enhances energy production by the body and maintains mental focus. Furthermore, a peer reviewed study indicated that when using elete™, 40% less water is needed to hydrate properly. (A copy of the full report is on our website).

elete™ is derived from the inland sea water from the Great Salt Lake in Utah and contains the four electrolytes mentioned above plus over 70 other trace and ultra-trace elements. It is 100% natural, has zero calories, zero carbs, zero sugar or sweeteners, no additives of any sort - it is simply the electrolytes above plus the trace and ultra- trace elements and water.

It comes in a concentrated form and is just added to water, juice, any drink or food (hot or cold). It can be added to other sports nutrition products such as carb drinks or gels or protien mixes.

The price is also cheaper than any other product on the market - a 25ml at £6.49 pocket bottle makes up 20 x 500ml drinks , making a cost per drink of only 32.5p.

All the best

Adrian Shaw :D

Give Adrian a reply and he will send you out some of his Elete and its well worth a try.
    I used it last week and it works very well, didnt have to drink loads like i had to do with other drinks, no cramps after 32 miles, less time to recover, no taste difference to my drink after adding this to normal high fruit juice.

It even works well to get rid of my hang over from the weekend on a night out after a month.

dont go buying over price drinks or try make your own because if you get the amounts wrong making your own you could make yourself worse.

thats my bit on this any way and i know we all have our own views but worth a try for with a free sample.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    ashw9 wrote:
    adrian4224 wrote:
    Hi,

Can I suggest you try elete, a sports drink concentrate specifically designed for optimum and hydration and to prevent and halt cramping.

I have to declare an interest as I am CEO of MRI (UK) Ltd which has the distribution rights for elete. However, I am absolutely convinced elete will sort out your hydration needs and your cramps.

I would be very happy to send you a bottle to try free of charge, just contact me at adrian@eletewater.co.uk with your details and will have some sent to you.

Can I also suggest you visit our website http://www.eletewater.co.ukwhich has lots of information about elete, how it works and the science behind it etc.

I also set out below a summary of the key information about elete:

elete™, is an ionically charged sports drink concentrate, which I am genuinely confident is the most effective hydration product on the market today.

The reason for its effectiveness is that it contains all four electrolytes which are necessary for proper hydration (magnesium, sodium, potassium and chloride) and that these are each in totally ionic form (again necessary for effective hydration). No other sports/hydration products contain this mix of electrolytes.

As well as hydrating remarkably efficeintly, elete™ stops cramping, enhances energy production by the body and maintains mental focus. Furthermore, a peer reviewed study indicated that when using elete™, 40% less water is needed to hydrate properly. (A copy of the full report is on our website).

elete™ is derived from the inland sea water from the Great Salt Lake in Utah and contains the four electrolytes mentioned above plus over 70 other trace and ultra-trace elements. It is 100% natural, has zero calories, zero carbs, zero sugar or sweeteners, no additives of any sort - it is simply the electrolytes above plus the trace and ultra- trace elements and water.

It comes in a concentrated form and is just added to water, juice, any drink or food (hot or cold). It can be added to other sports nutrition products such as carb drinks or gels or protien mixes.

The price is also cheaper than any other product on the market - a 25ml at £6.49 pocket bottle makes up 20 x 500ml drinks , making a cost per drink of only 32.5p.

All the best

Adrian Shaw :D

Give Adrian a reply and he will send you out some of his Elete and its well worth a try.
    I used it last week and it works very well, didnt have to drink loads like i had to do with other drinks, no cramps after 32 miles, less time to recover, no taste difference to my drink after adding this to normal high fruit juice.

It even works well to get rid of my hang over from the weekend on a night out after a month.

dont go buying over price drinks or try make your own because if you get the amounts wrong making your own you could make yourself worse.

thats my bit on this any way and i know we all have our own views but worth a try for with a free sample.

I'll second this..

I've been using Elete for a while now and it's brilliant for hydration. I've also read a lot of testimonials from elete athletes who have used it and it get's rave reviews. If you're a regular user of any kind of hydration tablet such as Nuun I would give elete a try.

And no, I don't work for them..;-)
  • Why are you wasting time with iso sloppy drinks.

Spot on: "The idea behind carbohydrate in the drink is to give the athlete more fuel for energy and to balance the fluid concentration. Carbs are the main source of energy in events that last over 10 seconds."
    Research at Loughbrough uni has shown that milk based drinks are leaps better than iso tonic drinks and the like. For any sustained actitivity you NEED carbs, yes you can balance out with Protein, but you must have some energy releasing carbs if you want to endure and have stamina.

Check out following links:
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/di ... id=1057236
    www.nrichment.com
  • Shmikuk
    Shmikuk Posts: 117
    I've been trying out the "Elete" product over recent rides ranging from some high intenisity road rides and some various offroad rodes and I have to say that it does seem to make a difference. I'm pretty sure I've drunk less in each case than I usually would, and have noticed less wasted ( ie fewer loo stops).
    My other half didn't like the taste in plain water( despite claims of no taste) and said it made the water taste stale. I didn't notice a major taste, personally.
    It seems very conveniently packaged, and good value although I'd say holding a camelbak bladder containing water and trying to decant the required capfulls into the oddly shaped cap, which won't stand up on it's own is a little frustrating.
    This wasn't a scientific test, and I usually use products such as zipvit energy drinks alongside plain water so it was good to try out something different. I will be using in the future too.

And no I don't work for them, I just thoughtmy experience may help someone out.
  • sampras38
    Shmikuk wrote:
    I've been trying out the "Elete" product over recent rides ranging from some high intenisity road rides and some various offroad rodes and I have to say that it does seem to make a difference. I'm pretty sure I've drunk less in each case than I usually would, and have noticed less wasted ( ie fewer loo stops).
    My other half didn't like the taste in plain water( despite claims of no taste) and said it made the water taste stale. I didn't notice a major taste, personally.
    It seems very conveniently packaged, and good value although I'd say holding a camelbak bladder containing water and trying to decant the required capfulls into the oddly shaped cap, which won't stand up on it's own is a little frustrating.
    This wasn't a scientific test, and I usually use products such as zipvit energy drinks alongside plain water so it was good to try out something different. I will be using in the future too.

And no I don't work for them, I just thoughtmy experience may help someone out.

The UK Distributor of Elete I think is working on a more convenient sized bottle/sachet and it's something I found a little frustrating, if you compare it to the convenience of Nuun for example. Although in my opinion the product is miles better than Nuun. I never use it in water and just add it to Hi-5. You can add it to anything, including food and even coffee.
  • Shmikuk
    Shmikuk Posts: 117
    I really liked the handy size of the small bottle just found the cap awkward as a dispenser . Small criticism, but convenience counts!
    l
  • sampras38
    Shmikuk wrote:
    I really liked the handy size of the small bottle just found the cap awkward as a dispenser . Small criticism, but convenience counts!
    l

Yeah.

OK if you prep your drinks before leaving the house but not so convenient on things like Sportives when time is important. That has been my only critisicm but I'm sure they'll sort it. Great stuff though.
  • Re: elete electrolyte drink for hydration and relieving cramping

Please note that if you are wishing to try a free sample of elete please contact me at the following e-mail address: adrian@ikonassociates.com.

This e-mail address replaces the one from earlier posts as it is more reliable.

All the best

Adrian
  • PamPen25
    PamPen25 Posts: 111
    adrian4224 wrote:
    Re: elete electrolyte drink for hydration and relieving cramping

Please note that if you are wishing to try a free sample of elete please contact me at the following e-mail address: adrian@ikonassociates.com.

All the best

Adrian

Your in PR! What's the catch? :roll:
  • sampras38
    PamPen25 wrote:
    adrian4224 wrote:
    Re: elete electrolyte drink for hydration and relieving cramping

All the best

Adrian

Your in PR! What's the catch? :roll:

Don't be so paranoid..he's a good bloke and it's a genuine offer.
  • clarkie28
    clarkie28 Posts: 134
    Thanks everyone (especially bigbenj_08 :D ) for this interesting and informative topic.

I will give the free sample of elete water a go and see how i get on!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!!

Clarkie
  • PamPen25
    I'm giving it ago to. Let you know the outcome.
  • clarkie28
    Cheers PamPen25.

I have just this minute emailed Adrian for a sample so hopefully i will get mine sometime soon!!
  • PamPen25
    Well probably get it at the same time then....I emailed Adrian earlier today for a sample.
  • PamPen25
    I got my free sample of elete today, going Afan for the weekend camping on Friday so I'll let you know how the stuff goes.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    MrVanilla wrote:
    colintrav wrote:
    And it's not even part of MOD issued army rations ...

Agree with the rest of your post, but Lucozade Isotonic drinks are part of the new MOD ration packs ;)

....as were the glucose 'energy' tablets, probably made by the same manufacturer, and were part of ration packs for years if I recall correctly. They do seem to have changed a fair bit now though.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • clarkie28
    Yeah nice one PamPen25, let us know how you get on!

I received my free sample on Wednesday too! Im just waiting for the lighter mornings to arrive to go out 3-4 times a week before work on my new Spesh Allez! :D
  • OK, I received my FREE sample of ELETE and having had the past 8 Days off work i,ve ridden Dalby, Wharncliffe, Sherwood Pines, Gisburn,
    I,ve used this product over my previous supplement NUUN and have found the following.

The product "SEEMS" to alter the viscocity of water ? i know this sounds weird but it doesent appear to taste different to water but it feels different in the mouth ! this seems to quench the thirst and removes the need to gulp and you can get away with sipping the drink as oposed to taking on more fluid,
    The fiddly bottle has been brought up and the design is being rectified i believe, altho i did receive some small 10ml sample pippettes which were very handy.
    Previously ! using my other product it seemed to not wet my whistle as much as the ELETE and i suffered cramps on a long climb on my training ride which has been eliminated now,
    I have half a tube of NUUN which i will drop back on for a week of riding to compare but i dont think ill be buying any more.
    I have already purchased some ELETE and intend to use this from now on, prior to this i always used Robinsons dilute pop with tapolena but i feel the add in of the four elements do work for me whether or not this is the plecebo effect is yet to be resolved but this stuff works for me !
  • santacrews wrote:
    OK, I received my FREE sample of ELETE and having had the past 8 Days off work i,ve ridden Dalby, Wharncliffe, Sherwood Pines, Gisburn,
    I,ve used this product over my previous supplement NUUN and have found the following.

The product "SEEMS" to alter the viscocity of water ? i know this sounds weird but it doesent appear to taste different to water but it feels different in the mouth ! this seems to quench the thirst and removes the need to gulp and you can get away with sipping the drink as oposed to taking on more fluid,
    The fiddly bottle has been brought up and the design is being rectified i believe, altho i did receive some small 10ml sample pippettes which were very handy.
    Previously ! using my other product it seemed to not wet my whistle as much as the ELETE and i suffered cramps on a long climb on my training ride which has been eliminated now,
    I have half a tube of NUUN which i will drop back on for a week of riding to compare but i dont think ill be buying any more.
    I have already purchased some ELETE and intend to use this from now on, prior to this i always used Robinsons dilute pop with tapolena but i feel the add in of the four elements do work for me whether or not this is the plecebo effect is yet to be resolved but this stuff works for me !

Hi Santa Crews,

Your observation re the viscosity of the water is very interesting in that many people say that elete gives water a 'rounded mouth feel' which I suspect is what you are getting. This is absolutely normal and we believe it is to do with the ionic mineral content and also that we think mineral absorption commences as soon as it enters the mouth.

Am glad you are finding elete works, particularly for the cramping (which is a particular attribute of ionic magnesium).

All the best

Adrian
  • Hi Adrian,

PHEW !

I,m glad i got that across in my desciption of how ELETE feels on the Pallette, it is noticeably different in the mouth and i personally feel that this promotes the need to sip rather than gulp ! increasing the life span of the water carried and promoting water discipline without actually realising.

For those that are thinking whats he on about, Think sucking thro the bite valve and taking on fluid, previously when i have done this i have taken on air ? somehow the valve bleeds air and creates bubbles around the valve in the mouth,
    "Well it did for me" especially when i,m hanging out trying to breath drink eat fart etc all at the same time !
    Well this stops that and kind of feels like you are drinking thicker liquid ? altho its plain and simple water with a liquid add in.

I would be interested if any other Testers had noticed this that have tried in any of the above the threads ?
  • cammer
    cammer Posts: 55
    Many Thanks to Adrian for the free sample of Elete in the post.

Having used nuun tablets for quite a while I was interested in this alternative.

What first attracted me to Elete water was the natural ingredients. Nuun has an ingredient i'd rather avoid (sodium benzonate - google it)

Have tried elete a couple of times, and also notice the 'rounded mouth feel'. A big advantage is the option to mix it with any other drink you fancy, but it's not too bad in plain water either.

I'm not a sweaty person as such (need to ride faster! :roll: ) and don't often suffer cramps but I think i'll definitely be putting a few drops of this into my drink on those (rare!) hot summer days, to get those losts salts back. That's when I hope to really notice the advantage of Elete.
  • hackters
    hackters Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    HI, Looking like a interesting thread going on. Its good that people are actually willing to share their views on this topic.For cheap Zhu Zhu pets please see the Zhu Zhu pets hamsters site where you can buy Zhu Zhu hamsters at low prices.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why are you wasting time with iso sloppy drinks.

Spot on: "The idea behind carbohydrate in the drink is to give the athlete more fuel for energy and to balance the fluid concentration. Carbs are the main source of energy in events that last over 10 seconds."
    Research at Loughbrough uni has shown that milk based drinks are leaps better than iso tonic drinks and the like. For any sustained actitivity you NEED carbs, yes you can balance out with Protein, but you must have some energy releasing carbs if you want to endure and have stamina.

Check out following links:
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/di ... id=1057236
    www.nrichment.com

It clearly states this as a recovery drink, and recommends adding sodium.
  • supersonic
    The free sample [and very generous I might add] turned up today. Tried the stuff just in water for the taste test. I noticed straight away the different mouth feel, almost a 'slicker' feel. Would recommend a splash of cordial though.

Waiting now to take for a test on a ride and see how I feel.
  • adrian4224
    adrian4224 Posts: 6
    Hi Supersonic,

I am delighted your sample arrived :D .

Re the taste; a small splash of cordial is a good idea if the flavour is a little salty. We find a small amount of elderflower works very well.

The taste of elete varies from person to person, with some getting a slight salty taste and others not noticing anything. The different mouth feel though is evident to everyone who tries it.

By the way, it is also excellent in coffee, about 10-20 drops in a good size mug improves the flavour.

All the best

Adrian
  • supersonic
    Yeah, was a slight saltiness though I do admit it was slightly above the recommended concentration. By no means unpleasant though!

I had a slight hangover too today which seems to be disappearing lol.
  • PamPen25
    Hi Adrian,

The samples were good.

I must agree with the previous posts, definately more slicker texture to the water. (Wouldn't recommend tasting it on it's own! :cry: a bit on the salty side). Cordial is recommendation I would agree with for longer sessions

It isn't an offensive addition, if anything it's better than some I've tried. The bottle it came in was useful, I keep it in my gym bag or in my hydropack.

Thanks.
  • supersonic
    Yes, I agree with all that.

I was unsure of it at first - if people were taking plain water on rides, they often take mineral rich foods too. But the beauty lies in the adapatabilty of the product - you can make it into any drink you like. Is a good option for those who think the expense of some ready made drinks is too much, but wants a little more precision and ease of use when making home stuff.

I often put a few drops into a pint of cordial on hot days.