Cycling gear at Aldi from 1st of May

124»

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I got some of the longs from Aldi last year - without wanting to sound like a "fit snob", the fit leaves alot to be desired - for me atleast, the waist is too large whilst the legs too tight (amongst other things) - having said that, for the price, they're good value.
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    Mettan wrote:
    I got some of the longs from Aldi last year - without wanting to sound like a "fit snob", the fit leaves alot to be desired - for me atleast, the waist is too large whilst the legs too tight (amongst other things) - having said that, for the price, they're good value.

So, they fit like a glove? Pity they didn't fit like a pair of bib longs.

From my experience last year the material is the worst thing about them. I have a pair of size medium never been worn. I also have a long top that's equally shite. Don't know why I bought either. I've learnt though. Would never wear anything other than Assos shorts now.
  • lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    if your on a budget everything from aldi is fine , we cant all afford assos gear .
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Mettan wrote:

I got some longs (they called them winter trousers) from Aldi in the autumn and wore them all winter. I thought they were brilliant and they kept me warm and comfortable. Admittedly i wear them with braces and my legs are short and my waist is not so trim :lol: I was hoping there would be more in this promotion.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • feel
    HarryB wrote:
    . Would never wear anything other than Assos shorts now.

Bet you stand out in a wedding photo :wink:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    lilactime wrote:
    if your on a budget everything from aldi is fine , we cant all afford assos gear .

Assos shorts are something else, got my first pair this weekend and you can really tell the difference. If I, a poor student, can afford to get a pair of Assos shorts, anyone else who does "miles and miles" of cycling each week can "afford" to get a pair of their shorts. Better a numbfree bum, than struggling along in pain with £70 extra in your wallet.

On the Subject of the aldi kit this time, it wasn't as good as the winter stuff. Sizing was definitely hit and miss, a large gilet was too tight for me but a large jacket was far too big for me. Glasses seem to be a proper bargain though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • feel
    If I, a poor student, can afford to get a pair of Assos shorts, anyone else who does "miles and miles" of cycling each week can "afford" to get a pair of their shorts. Better a numbfree bum, than struggling along in pain with £70 extra in your wallet.

I'm not a poor student but could never justify to my wife or kids spending £70 on a pair of shorts. Mind i never suffer with a numb bum with my cheaper gear. Are you a parent subsidised student or a student with a big overdraft :wink:
  • redddraggon
    feel wrote:
    Are you a parent subsidised student or a student with a big overdraft :wink:

I've got a pretty well paid full time job :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • feel
    feel wrote:

I thought you said you were a poor student :lol:
    I bet you haven't got a wife watching what you spend either :lol:
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    feel wrote:

Err, which means you aren't really a 'poor student' then (I'm guessing it's not logic you're doing) :lol:

Anyway, I couldn't justify £70 on a pair of shorts but I'm happy for those who can and do. Personally I found Aldi's winter longs fine for my needs and I'm happy to take a chance on some of their summer gear.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • redddraggon
    I was just playing on the "poor student" stereotype. I've only got 4 weeks left working anyway, and then I shall definitely be a poor jobless student. I've been collecting up all my stuff this year because next year I definitely won't be able to afford anything but the cycling essentials.

Most of my kit is the cheaper DHB stuff from Wiggle, and just a few odd bits of Assos stuff (and most that picked up cheap), so it's not as though I've gone mad and spent that much. I've been able to justify spending so much on cycling this year because I don't run a car, don't drink much, and I kept my finances for first two years in order so I didn't have to pay off debts with my placement wages.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    edited May 2008
    I bought some socks, gilet and bibs from Aldi. The socks and gilet are fine but the bibs don't fit me too well and fell a bit strange compared to my DHB ones.

The Aldi stuff is good value for money, but I would also recommend the DHB stuff from Wiggle, IMHO its worth the extra.
  • Tregolwyn
    Tregolwyn Posts: 20
    Back to the set up problems with the Aldi computer. I sent an e-mail to customer support and got this very prompt response. Not sure it solves my problem but it might be useful advice for someone:

please follow with the MCP30102 two points:

1. You can use the MCP30102 only from a bicycle size of 1945 mms up to 2999 mms.. The device is not admitted for smaller bicycle dimensions (for example children's bicycles).

With very small bicycle dimensions you can put down the double bicycle size, then nevertheless, all measuring values must be halved.

2. The setting of the bicycle size lets plan only if the setting KM/H is preset. Carry then the value standing in the table under WS/Kmh (WS = Diameter of the wheel x 3,14).

After you’ve done that, you change back the value km/h to mph.

The printed conversion table is only as a general help. It does not refer explicitly to the MCP-computer.

We hope, this information was helpful for you.

We ask for understanding and wish a lot of fun with your new bicycle computer.

Please note that we can work on nowadays all inquiries only by email.

With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Carsten Meyer
  • lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    sod that , let someone else do it
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Tregolwyn wrote:
    Back to the set up problems with the Aldi computer. I sent an e-mail to customer support and got this very prompt response. Not sure it solves my problem but it might be useful advice for someone:

please follow with the MCP30102 two points:

1. You can use the MCP30102 only from a bicycle size of 1945 mms up to 2999 mms.. The device is not admitted for smaller bicycle dimensions (for example children's bicycles).

With very small bicycle dimensions you can put down the double bicycle size, then nevertheless, all measuring values must be halved.

2. The setting of the bicycle size lets plan only if the setting KM/H is preset. Carry then the value standing in the table under WS/Kmh (WS = Diameter of the wheel x 3,14).

After you’ve done that, you change back the value km/h to mph.

The printed conversion table is only as a general help. It does not refer explicitly to the MCP-computer.

We hope, this information was helpful for you.

We ask for understanding and wish a lot of fun with your new bicycle computer.

Please note that we can work on nowadays all inquiries only by email.

With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Carsten Meyer

I tried that but it doesn't work, the computer takes sizes from 1945 so one cannot set it to 1274 ( a tyre size of 26 x 1.6 )

I first set up the WS to 2051 km/h - then I changed from km to ml but the WS remains at 2051. I guess I could test it and see if in fact the computer is measuring now in miles and at the correct scale.

Rick
  • Georgeb
    Georgeb Posts: 315
    Had the same problem with my computer aswell, but I'll just have to put up with it in km/h.

Also bought a gilet and a jersey. Not the best but good value for money.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I've done it :D

This is what I did... I set it up as KM/h and that allowed me to set 2274 (I needed 1274)

I then pressed the set button for a few seconds to go back in and changed the km/h to ml/h. I then changed the first 2 for a 1 in the WS. - don't press Mode I :lol: , as it will change the second digit to 9, press set instead.

That's it :D

Rick