Cycling gear at Aldi from 1st of May

rrsodl
rrsodl Posts: 486
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Yep, the cycling gear is coming again to Aldi

I want one of those computers to replace my sigma (lasted less than a year :evil: ) glasses, still have some left from last year but I'd like another pair - a gillet or two.

Rick

Comments

• I need a gillet after Mrs KK put last one in tumble drier. Maybe a new jacket too. Hopefully there won't be a scrum in the shop at 9am.
    Be nice to grumpy old men (or else!)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You think their cycling shorts will be any good? Aldi only like 3 miles from me :D.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The sunnies at £2.99 are excellent value. Had mine a year and they're still good.
  • willhub wrote:
    You think their cycling shorts will be any good? Aldi only like 3 miles from me :D.

at 2.99 or whatever its wort a go eh!?!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I have a few pairs of rubbish shorts I wear under unpadded bib tights.
    They are probably ok to start with and for rides up to 30 miles or so.
    Bike computer can't be bad that price if it works.
    Not sure about the gillet, I can't see it being windstopper material for that price and if it is not, then a gillet is pointless.
    Glasses may be worth a try as they fall off anyway :D
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Aldi have got chocolate sauce (that goes hard on ice cream) today :D

seriously though (actually that was serious) Aldi are very good at accepting returns if you are not happy as long as you keep the receipt.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • rrsodl
    The glasses are quite good for the money and I have heard the gillet are also pretty good too. I got one of those computers last year and it's excellent value, no complaints from me. The shorts are not the best for long rides really but for 20 or 30 miles they are fine, but I don't like the look of the shorts coming next week so I won't bother with them.

I was hoping to see arm warmers, I got one pair last year and they have proved to be excellent value.

Rick
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    last year i bought the winter cycling trousers and have used them all the time. If they 'd had them again i would have got some more. Think i'll have a close look at the gillet though.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    Sorry guys but anything you buy from Aldi will make your sweat, or it will fall apart. You get what you pay for.
  • rrsodl
    flyer wrote:
    Sorry guys but anything you buy from Aldi will make your sweat, or it will fall apart. You get what you pay for.

Nonsense - there are plenty of people here that have tried the cycling gear and can tell u that are pretty good. Their sizes can be a bit misleading but the quality is pretty good.

I'd say you get good value for your money - but if you want to pay 10 times as much for a branded item then it's your choice.

Rick
  • bilsea159
    bilsea159 Posts: 256
    Do keep the receipt, I learn from bitter experience. Last year I bought in September the Cycling Jacket which developed a dodgy Zip. With my wallet clearout I binned the receipt so could not take it back.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    flyer wrote:

Incorrect.

I like my expensive cycling kit as much as the next person, but the Aldi winter jacket I got last winter for about £15 was a bargain, I've also got an Assos winter jacket (which cost about 8 times more) and the only downfall of the Aldi jacket is it's got a bit of a funny cut meaning the arms are baggy. I've worn it nearly everyday through the winter on commute, been washed loads of times and it hasn't fallen apart yet.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    willhub wrote:

I bought half a dozen over a year a go and they're all going strong. A bit on the heavy side for Summer but just the thing in Winter under Longs (comfy too).
  • Anonymous
    Thinking of making up a shopping list of stuff to get from aldi.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5828.htm
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5826.htm
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5822.htm
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5815.htm
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5812.htm

any good?

Dunno about the cycling lacket, looks abit baggy and might not have any pockets in?
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    Listen fellas, I like a bargain as much as the next fella but what the hell is the big attraction with this Aldi stuff?

1. It doesn't look very good.
    2. It doesn't perform well.

The reason it's cheap is because it's shite.

It's also cheap because it's manufactured from cheap materials in Chinese sweat shops.

If it's all you can afford and you want to wear it then fine but let's not make out that it's something it's not.

And yes, before anyone asks I have stupidly bought some of this crap in the past
  • phelim
    phelim Posts: 91
    you get what you pay for 2.99 for a pair of glasses you are better buying them off a street trader.
    pjmcg
  • HarryB
    phelim wrote:
    you get what you pay for 2.99 for a pair of glasses you are better buying them off a street trader.

Couldn't agree more. Anyone who thinks his eyes are only worth £2.99 doesn;'t need his eyes testing he needs his head examining
  • Anonymous
    HarryB wrote:
    phelim wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Anyone who thinks his eyes are only worth £2.99 doesn;'t need his eyes testing he needs his head examining

I bought a pair of sun glasses in portugal for €4, they still are fine now, nothing wrong with 3 quid glasses, no point paying more than you need to they are glasses for god sake. I would not be surprised if your sun glasses cost about £100 :roll:
  • HarryB
    willhub wrote:
    I bought a pair of sun glasses in portugal for €4, they still are fine now, nothing wrong with 3 quid glasses, no point paying more than you need to they are glasses for god sake. I would not be surprised if your sun glasses cost about £100 :roll:

You're taking the p1ss, right?

If not I think you'd better tell Oakley, Rudy Project etc that they are wasting their time and money on their R&D.

What a fool I've been. All along some cheapo plastic specs from a holiday resoirt street vendor were just as good as my Oakleys
  • Anonymous
    stuff paying for the name I'm not going to pay for that stuff from those names when I know for a bloody fact 3 quid sunglasses do the job just fine....
  • HarryB
    Don't be so bloody stupid
  • Anonymous
    Your the one who is been stupid, you sounds like a snob. I've bought plenty of things from Aldi and its lasting, infact my cycle tool kit was from Aldi and some of the stuff I got in it has too a right battering and its fine.
  • lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    ive read tests on sunglasses and the cheap ones are usually just as good as the expensive ones , its snobbery and branding .
  • HarryB
    OK. You win. I give up. Hope you are happy with your cheap sh1te.
  • Anonymous
    HarryB wrote:

Yea and I hope your happy spending more money wasting money on stuff when the cheap alternative actually is just as good..
  • redddraggon
    willhub wrote:
    HarryB wrote:

Yea and I hope your happy spending more money wasting money on stuff when the cheap alternative actually is just as good..

I wouldn't necessarily say that the Aldi stuff was as good as the Assos or Oakley, or that Spending the premium on Assos or Oakleys is a waste.

The point is that the Aldi stuff is very good for the money - but it's not upto Assos or Oakleys standard.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    I was on about sun glasses.
  • redddraggon
    willhub wrote:
    I was on about sun glasses.

Oakleys are sun glasses.

My Oakleys are definitely better than my cheap DHB glasses, but the DHB ones were worth what I paid.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    If I get a cheap pair of sun glasses and they do their job I'm not going to complain.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    At the end of the day if there is a clear advantage to buying quality then I would. We can all agree on here that Dura Ace is better than Sora or Record is better than Mirage(for all you Campy fans :) ) and if we have the money thats what we would buy. Without insulting anybody here you cannot call something sh%te just because its cheap and conversly there is not point in claiming quality on something that is poorly made. At the end of the day we buy what we can comfortably afford and justify it to ourselves. I like to think I discern enough to see when I am getting a bargain. I have plenty of Lildl and Aldi stuff, but I also have a nice bike(Orbea) because I could justify to myself thats where I wanted my budget to go to. Its the same in my wardrobe, I have a Hugo Boss cashmere coat that costs over 600 quid because i wanted one to last a lifetime, but every year I go to Primark to buy shorts and T shirts for the summer.
    I guess what I am trying to say is: live and let live. We are all cyclists on here and the important thing is we all keep cycling, if the only way some of us can do that is to buy bargain basement kit then so be it, don't slag them off. :)