British cycling - Organized doping.

13»

Comments

• vermooten wrote:
    They've gone from no-hopers (albeit with occasional superstars like Boardman and Obree) to the best in the world across almost all disciplines within a generation. Cycle sport has gone from nowhere on the public radar to our best hopes of a whole load of medals at the Olympics. UK funding systems are based entirely around Olympic and Worlds medals, so the funding of the whole sport of cycling in the UK is dependent on those performances on the track. Seems like a recipe for PED-use.
    I have wondered how British track riders got so good so quickly. I hope this is just idle shit-stirring and nothing more.

If you're going to quote me please cut-and-paste the whole lot. Here's the whole of that sentence that you chopped:
    Seems like a recipe for PED-use, except that there's never been any evidence of it before, and the whole methodology is based on the work of Peter Keen - best known as coach of Chris Boardman, who had a reputation as squeeky clean.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I think that for the good of cycling as a whole there should be zero negativity about our achievements on teh track. If we want the the UK's media to sit up and take notice, as the fickle BBC did this year then for now track is the only way to do this. Its short, sharp events that only need to hold the spactators attention for a small period of time. Plus the events come thick and fast....

Its the old American thing. They can't grasp football (soccer) because of the long periods of non scoring, gaining yardage whatever. hence basketball, baseball, american footbal is far bigger.

The manchester worlds was some of the most exciting cycle sport i have seen for years, and yes that was because the UK's cyclists were challenging, but if we wanna get kids back on bikes this is only a good thing!!

That madison race was one of the most exciting cycling events i've seen...
  • Even people who don't 'get' cycling normally have been asking me about track cycling since last weekend, they didn't have a clue what the madison was all about but enjoyed it anyway as it seemed very exciting. This is good news.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Moomaloid wrote:
    I think that for the good of cycling as a whole there should be zero negativity about our achievements on teh track. If we want the the UK's media to sit up and take notice, as the fickle BBC did this year then for now track is the only way to do this. Its short, sharp events that only need to hold the spactators attention for a small period of time. Plus the events come thick and fast....

Its the old American thing. They can't grasp football (soccer) because of the long periods of non scoring, gaining yardage whatever. hence basketball, baseball, american footbal is far bigger.

The manchester worlds was some of the most exciting cycle sport i have seen for years, and yes that was because the UK's cyclists were challenging, but if we wanna get kids back on bikes this is only a good thing!!

That madison race was one of the most exciting cycling events i've seen...

My sentiments exactly
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Yes, I'm with 'moomaloid' too. There are many fans of track racing from amongst the general public nowadays and the Worlds just provided what they like best - fast, colourful and exciting racing especially with British success !!! It saddens me to see 'cyclists' who try to pick holes and undermine it.
  • oldwelshman
    edited April 2008
    claudb wrote:
    Yes, I'm with 'moomaloid' too. There are many fans of track racing from amongst the general public nowadays and the Worlds just provided what they like best - fast, colourful and exciting racing especially with British success !!! It saddens me to see 'cyclists' who try to pick holes and undermine it.
    Thats because they don't do it :D
    It is similar in ,many sports where they all think their discipline is best :D
    Unfortunately to the average viewer ( non cyclist, non active sportperson) road cycling is like watching a goldfish ina bowl. I used to play squash and that also looks rubbish on tv to the average person.
    Even if I did not do track I would find it exciting on tv.
    As you said it is fast and colourful and lots of women like to see a mans firm butt in tigh lycra, don't they? 8) And probably some men to :D
  • oldwelshman
    Actually when I watched the womens Keirin final and Pndleton was pipped at the end I thought it was a mixed race when I saw the American rider who won :D:D
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    claudb wrote:
    Thats because they don't do it :D
    It is similar in ,mamy sports where they all think their discipline is best :D
    Unfortunately to the average viewer ( no cyclist, non active sportperson) road cycling is like watching a goldfish ina bowl. I used to play squash and that also looks rubbish on tv to the average person.
    Even if I did not do track I would find it exciting on tv.
    As you said it is fast and colourful and lots of women like to see a mans firm butt in tigh lycra, don't they? 8) And probably some men to :D

That's me. I still choose to watch road cycling over track cycling any day of the week. What does being a cyclist have to do with anything? I've never ridden a horse over Becher's Brook either, but I still enjoyed watching the Grand National.
  • oldwelshman
    That's me. I still choose to watch road cycling over track cycling any day of the week. What does being a cyclist have to do with anything? I've never ridden a horse over Becher's Brook either, but I still enjoyed watching the Grand National.[/quote]

I never said anything about being a cyclist, though it is obvious that watching cycling on tv is more appealing to cyclists than non cyclists.
    I just commented that to majoriity of non sporting persons road cycling appears boring. Obviously there are others who enjoy it as you do. No one says there is anything wrong with that?
    You only have to look at viewing figures to realise that unfortunatley cycling, whether track or road or any other is not as popular with viewers as Tennis and footbal or even Gran Prix racing , in the UK that is.
    It is a good job Eurosport cover it as much as they do.