Etape 2008

Comments

• Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Thanks for that

So, with the finish village in Lau Balagnas at the foot of the Hautacam, I guess its an immediate u-turn at the top once we are through the finish line?

Sounds like a reasonable set up to me, especially if it means no waiting around at the summit. I hope family and friends will be able to access the finish village....

Rich
  • le_grimpeur
    le_grimpeur Posts: 135
    diarmuid wrote:
    Just read the whole thread on the Etape. A friend and myself are cycling this years etape also and like le_grimpeur are living in France. We are way at the back of the group with start numbers in the 8000's! Doh. At least there will be no mad rush to get a good spot as we are screwed from the off!

We have been putting in a good bit of training and fortunately there are loads of big mountains (roads to 2800m) near us so we are not short of climbing practice. However we have zero expierence of cycling in large groups. My question is, do you need to get expierence in cycling in a pelaton or is it just a case of hanging on the wheel of someone else. Is it generally a line or a bunch? (I'd imagine the latter is a much bigger challenge)

Next question: Do people bring backpacks or try and fit everything into pockets and seat bags?

If you are not used to riding in a fast, large pack, then being out the way is an advantage, as you can find your own pace. You'll find that faster riders will be on the left of you, so if you have fears, keep to the right. AS there are two of you, you should go out and practice riding behind each other - if you haven't already done so. As to the Etape, I'd advise against "hanging on" to someone else's wheel, as you'll be going at their pace not yours. You should be able to find a group for different stretches along the route. If you find the pace too high, drop back. IF you can find another sportive near you beforehand, I'd suggest you do so , just for the experience of bunch riding - but don't bother keeping up with those who'll be racing. Check out Le Cycle magazine for a list of sportives.

Definitely, no backpack! As you'll need two spare tyres AND tyre levers, and some energy bars etc, you'd need at least a seat bag. I'm considering buying a small bag that sits on the frame and ties round the handlebar for easy to acces to energy gels/bars
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Bento Boxes (Tri / Toptube bags) are great for sportives such as Etape where you want to carry plenty of your own bars/gels/ drink powder.

http://www.sbrsports.com/743-0
    Rich
  • Rich.H
    Well, my copy of "Le Guide" for the Etape turned up earlier in the week and very useful it is too.

How do we feel about having a feed station at La Mongie? - unless I can find water at the bottom of the Tourmalet, this will mean a definite stop for me as the earlier feed is at Lourdes. Shame, as I was hoping to make the climb without stopping at all.....

So, how are we all doing training wise?

2 more UK events left for me - the Dragon Ride next weekend and the Circuit of the Cotswolds the week after. I am going well (and climbing well :D ) but I could do with some warm weather to ride in - my last 3 Sportives have been wet and miserable (and bl**dy windy on the Gran Fondo Cymru)

I have most of my kit sorted now. My bike has been in "Etape spec" for a few weeks and I am really pleased with it (new wheels and compact chainset). Some new white bar tape is ready to go on for the big day 8) As for what to wear, I have a debate between gilet / armwarmers or a long sleeved lightweight windproof :?: I am thinking mainly of the waiting around at the start and then the descent of the Touramlet - and a hot, dry day in between :wink:

Rich
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    Rich.H wrote:
    How do we feel about having a feed station at La Mongie? - unless I can find water at the bottom of the Tourmalet, this will mean a definite stop for me as the earlier feed is at Lourdes. Shame, as I was hoping to make the climb without stopping at all.....
    There's a fountain in St Marie de Campan that you can water from, i.e. it's eau potable.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I heard yesterday that they have done something about the tramlines in Bagnerre. Not sure exactly what the modifications are, but at least they have recognised the potential danger and done something about it.
  • Rich.H
    andyp wrote:
    There's a fountain in St Marie de Campan that you can water from, i.e. it's eau potable.

Thanks Andy.

I am going to take a drive over there on the Fri / Sat so will take a look then

Rich
  • andyp
    APIII wrote:
    I heard yesterday that they have done something about the tramlines in Bagnerre. Not sure exactly what the modifications are, but at least they have recognised the potential danger and done something about it.
    That's good - I did a Sporting Tours trip back in 2002 that went through Bagneres just after a thunderstorm and a few people crashed on those tramlines. I didn't witness it but Ruth (as in BeaconRuth) may have.
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    Good Etape preview on the Rapha site: http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=490
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Good Etape preview on the Rapha site: http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=490
    that's a really good link - thanks for that.
    Still not doing the Etape but I did climb the final 16 of the 21 hairpins of Alpe D'huez yesterday :D (I decided to miss out the first 2.5km of the climb as they were the steepest and most likely to set me off fluttering). Nevertheless, my garmin was showing predominantly 10% for 6 odd miles that I did - sections of 7% appeared to be almost flat after doing miles of 10+%.
    Probably the best ride of my life. I was one of the slowest on the mountain but I made it up with an average HR of 120. there was a huge charity event on yesterday and the roads were full of cyclists and supporters. It was brilliant. I even got a little push on one section after i'd stopped for a drink. If the Etape has the same atmosphere as that which i experienced yesterday, it's just going to be brilliant. I saw one guy doing it on a recumbant using his arms to pedal and some one else was on a two wheeled scooter!

It's a month today isn't it guys? Brilliant - I'm really looking forward to coming to watch.
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    popette wrote:
    ... but I did climb the final 16 of the 21 hairpins of Alpe D'huez yesterday :D (I decided to miss out the first 2.5km of the climb as they were the steepest and most likely to set me off fluttering). Nevertheless, my garmin was showing predominantly 10% for 6 odd miles that I did - sections of 7% appeared to be almost flat after doing miles of 10+%.
    Probably the best ride of my life. I was one of the slowest on the mountain but I made it up with an average HR of 120.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well done! I'll be lucky if my heart rate goes below 120 during the Etape as a whole.....
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I saw aguy out on a two wheeled scooter about a month ago - one with a HUGE rear wheel. He was really moving. Apparently someone did the PAris Brest Paris on one!
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    Rich.H wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Thanks Andy.

I am going to take a drive over there on the Fri / Sat so will take a look then

Rich

its literally just as you turn right for the climb for the tourmalet,up agianst a wall
    i have drunk from it twice and with NO side effects !!!!

finally worked out what energy food/drinks/gels work best for me
    know what clothes to wear
    bike is ready(apart from a service the monday before)

and finally two more sportives lined up ,Dragon ride next weekend and the weekend afterwards i am over in France for the Ardechoise 'la volcanique' ride 171k's of up & down :shock:

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • andyp
    its literally just as you turn right for the climb for the tourmalet,up agianst a wall
    i have drunk from it twice and with NO side effects !!!!
    That's the one. One of the guys I ride with in the high mountains is a world recognised expert in drinking water treatment. If he drinks out a fountain I generally reckon it's going to be ok! :wink:
  • freddy2
    freddy2 Posts: 30
    The Rapha site was good. I did a recce of the route a couple of weeks ago and the hill out of Rebanac did come as a bit of a surprise. It will definately break up the groups that will have formed but there should be plenty to get back on after the climb. I climbed Toumalet and after having to cope with rain all day had to deal with snow for the last 300 metres. Completed it but stopped at the top because eneough was enough for my long suffering support vehicle occupants. I didn't fancy descending either when I was already very cold and wet at the top. The climb from La Mongie was difficult and I too am a little disappointed that the second feed is there. That said I will stop as it will be important to refuel ahead of the last climb. Can't wait now. I really enjoyed it last year and the piece of advice I would give people is relax and enjoy. If you have done the training you will get round and finishing, whatever your time, is a great feeling.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Some good ought to come from this mid-life madness I've signed up for, so I'm raising money for Demelza, a children's hospice in Kent.

Please visit my page to take a look:

www.justgiving.com/dominicbarnes

Many thanks in advance to anyone who sponsors me.

All proceeds goes to them. I am paying all my trip expenses.
  • pughc
    pughc Posts: 6
    Hi all,

First post here. Two topics if I may.

I went up Ventoux and Bonette last year (though not the same day), I am interested in hearing any views as to how Tourmalet & Hautacam compare to Ventoux & Bonette?

Secondly, I have a "Ryanair Baggage Handler Aversion" - if anyone is driving down I'd be happy to either pay them to take my bike down or maybe share the driving etc - get in touch.

regards
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Hopefully you've registered your bike with Ryanair for the journey?

Ventoux and the Bonette are harder. Ventoux is steeper than either the Tourmalet or Hautacam, the Bonette is longer and of course, much higher. All relative though, the Tourmalet, especially after La Mongie, is very difficult and remember you will have done many miles before you start the climb.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    I too have a Ryanair aversion - the whole business approach stinks IMHO - it's not just that they might employ dodgy baggage handlers. (In fact the handlers will be airport services anyway).

We're taking the train, Eurostar, Marne la Vallee, Bordeaux, Pau. Return price standard class was £90. None of which goes to the truly awful pr*ck in charge of Ryanair.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    pedylan wrote:
    I too have a Ryanair aversion - the whole business approach stinks IMHO - it's not just that they might employ dodgy baggage handlers. (In fact the handlers will be airport services anyway).

We're taking the train, Eurostar, Marne la Vallee, Bordeaux, Pau. Return price standard class was £90. None of which goes to the truly awful pr*ck in charge of Ryanair.

I had a run in with Ryanair two years ago-my bike box was broken and an expensive wheel buckled

they repudiated the claim right away, and it became obvious, the claim handlers' brief was to make things as difficult as possible-asking for documentation they'd already had, asking for clarification etc

Eventually I contacted the airline ombudsman, cc'ed Ryanair, hey presto, claim settled in 7 days subsequently......I think that is cynical
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    I am wondering if any experienced heads could let us know what they will be taking on board during the ride eg: food, drinks, tyres, tools, also any pre and post eating/drinking advice for the best possible performance and recovery.

I think it would be good for those that have not done anything as big as the etape to be best prepared as its not just a Sunday run or local sportive thats involved.
  • popette
    pedylan wrote:

Pedylan, how long will that journey take you?
    I just drove to the Alps and back and it really took it out of me - I had so many red bull to keep awake. Just wondering if train might be a better option. (petrol is not cheaper there either and when you factor in the tolls, it turned out to be more expensive than I thought).
    Ta
  • popette
    actually, how did you book that whole train trip Pedylan - I'm really warming to that idea :)
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    Times have been posted for Gold and Silver medals: http://www.letapedutour.com/2008/ETDT/p ... plomes.htm
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    popette wrote:
    actually, how did you book that whole train trip Pedylan - I'm really warming to that idea :)

Didn't want to fly and I've driven to Bordeaux and Pau several times on business which convinced me it's no preparation for Etape and no prospect to look forward to after.

We did look at Plymouth Santander ferry and that has its attractions. We opted for rail after going through a few options. You're in Cheshire? - we're in Yorkshire but will be in London with friends before departing for Etape so you need to factor in the trip to London.

We'll park car at Eurostar terminal in Ashford (don't need central London with a bike bag!). Eurostar to Marne La Vallee - 2 hrs - (again don't want to cross Paris with a bike bag and TGV station now fully open at Marne - aka Eurodisney!) TGV to Bordeaux (4 hours). 70min connection time at Marne. Depart Ashford 0930 UK and arr Bordeaux 1826 French time.

From Bordeaux you can take slower trains to Pau arriving around 9pm. We decided to hire car from there and drive to Pau We'll arrive around same time.

Start with Eurostar website - http://www.eurostar.com

This allowed tickets to be booked through to Bordeaux on one hit and was cheaper than booking both legs separately. You need to specify via Marne or it'll send you via paris as default.

You can also try

http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/home/

for tickets between French destinations that are posted to UK. Does allow good value 1st class upgrades.

And man in Seat 61 is brilliant for everything. http://www.seat61.com/
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • + 1 for the man in seat 61 website - i organised my travel arrangements through them and Rail europe. I'm taking the eurostar to Paris hten getting the sleeper train on the thursday night getting in at Tarbes at 8 am
    pm
  • popette
    + 1 for the man in seat 61 website - i organised my travel arrangements through them and Rail europe. I'm taking the eurostar to Paris hten getting the sleeper train on the thursday night getting in at Tarbes at 8 am

sleeper train could be fun :wink:
  • popette wrote:
    + 1 for the man in seat 61 website - i organised my travel arrangements through them and Rail europe. I'm taking the eurostar to Paris hten getting the sleeper train on the thursday night getting in at Tarbes at 8 am

sleeper train could be fun :wink:

What are you suggesting? :shock:
    pm
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    driving down to Lourdes myself, done the jouney many times (usually to the Carcassonne/Limoux area though. Away early on the Friday AM, Eurotunnel and so long as I get past Paris by lunchtime I will be down there by mid evening Friday. Longish drive yes but not to stressful.

Popette, maybe it was the Red Bull that was making you feel stressed? Sleeper train does sound fun too but maybe also a bad way to prepare :lol: Abstination and all :wink:
    fay ce que voudres